Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimp for sale

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Wonderful.. of course I just glanced at the PETA site ; as I made clear then.

Did not read fully; and not that kind of extremist.

What you might call thus a "cafeteria" supporter

BUT the fur farming needs stopping.

Serious on that.
    Rory123 wrote: »
    I have seen the light! I have just set free my dog, cats, fish and parrot, to live life in their natural habitat of the North County Dublin jungle.

WHAT DO WE WANT, ANIMAL RIGHTS, WHEN DO WE WANT IT NOW!!!
    GO PETA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Guitarist-JEM

It is DEFINITELY ILLEGAL ,not to mention ethically wrong and totaly inhumane, hence it being illegal..chimps should definitely not be kept as pets ..chimps that are taken from their mother from the wild are usually captured by people involved in the illegal pet trade ..

it's definitely illegal so i suggest you report it when you see a chimp for sale..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

It is DEFINITELY ILLEGAL ,not to mention ethically wrong and totaly inhumane, hence it being illegal..chimps should definitely not be kept as pets ..chimps that are taken from their mother from the wild are usually captured by people involved in the illegal pet trade ..

it's definitely illegal so i suggest you report it when you see a chimp for sale..

Actually we`ve already established that its NOT ILLEGAL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Guitarist-JEM It is DEFINITELY ILLEGAL ,not to mention ethically wrong and totaly inhumane, hence it being illegal..chimps should definitely not be kept as pets ..chimps that are taken from their mother from the wild are usually captured by people involved in the illegal pet trade ..

This particular chimp appears to be a scam. There is good reason to believe most of the online chimp adverts are scams.

Under what law is it illegal? There has been some mention of an EU law that bans their importation. If you could cite the relevant laws that would clear a lot of things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

have you not read any of this thread?we have established that its NOT ILLEGAL!!and there are no petshops selling them, we are sayin though that there is nothing stoppiong them if they wanted. it being wrong or not

edit: hellrazer and cavedave got in ahead of me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

It definitely is illegal to take a baby chimp from it's mother but it is definitely
    not illegal to buy or own one in Ireland. Chimps that are taken for the wild are
    not people usually involved in the illegal pet trade,they are definitely involved in illegal animal trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

sorella wrote: »
    Wonderful.. of course I just glanced at the PETA site ; as I made clear then.

Did not read fully; and not that kind of extremist.

What you might call thus a "cafeteria" supporter

BUT the fur farming needs stopping.

Serious on that.
    Have you got any leather products in your house? I bet there isn't a home in Ireland that doesn't have a pair of leather shoes, or jacket, or couch, or handbag etc. Same thing really, only that the meat from some furs is wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Guitarist-JEM

SCI wrote: »
    It definitely is illegal to take a baby chimp from it's mother but it is definitely
    not illegal to buy or own one in Ireland. Chimps that are taken for the wild are
    not people usually involved in the illegal pet trade,they are definitely involved in illegal animal trade.

How can it not be illegal to own a chimp,yet its illegal to take a chimp from its mother and the wild? it's the same bloody thing isn't it?

well it may not be illegal in ireland but it should be ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ok folks - I feel this thread is now going around in a big LOOP! So I am locking this thread now.

For the record once again - 99.9% of primates & any large exotic seen for sale online are scams! A tamarin costs around £3k - chimps would probably cost £5-10k not a few hundred yo yos!

It is NOT illegal to keep primates including chimps & gorillas - ethics are a whole other kettle of fish! The reason it is NOT ILLEGAL is thanks to our government not having DWA legislation (DWA means dangerous wild animals) Therefore I can buy a tiger that has been captive bred & has CITES paperwork & I am not breaking ANY LAWS! If you object to this contact Mr John Gormley minister for the environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How can it not be illegal to own a chimp,yet its illegal to take a chimp from its mother and the wild? it's the same bloody thing isn't it?

well it may not be illegal in ireland but it should be ..

Big difference in wild caught & captive bred with CITES paperwork!

If I own a lemur without CITES paperwork - the ISPCA & The gardaí can take that lemur away as I would be breaking the law - however if I have the CITES paperwork that is FINE.

This is the last thing I am going to say in this thread, I hope this answers your question????

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement