Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Indie Night in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Have they changed the tape in Whelans yet? Have they discovered that The Smiths released more than just This Charming Man?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 1959

i agree nenagh is a bit away, but b&b is very cheap, and their nice enough people!!
    only one niteclub, but its packed with ladies, mgmt screamers mostly!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 1959

whats on in the nxt couple of wks in dublin in the line of an indie nite out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

musician wrote: »
    Have they changed the tape in Whelans yet? Have they discovered that The Smiths released more than just This Charming Man?

The DJ played a lot of kooks, razorlight, and the killers on wednesday night. Asked him to play some joy division but he said no. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

The DJ played a lot of kooks, razorlight, and the killers on wednesday night. Asked him to play some joy division but he said no. :mad:
    That's shocking.

Haven't been out in to town in a while cause of exams and what not. What am I missing?

• Advertisement

Havent been heading out too much myself as I have those bloody exams too.
    There was a great band on in the village wednesday night. "Prison love", a mix of bluegrass and cajun, not exactly indie but might be worthwhile checking out sometime if you're into the live music.
    Theres no gigs on this week that catch my attention. :(
    Anyone know If theres any decent bands on during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

Anyone know If theres any decent bands on during the week?

Doesnt seem to be anything of note this week but Deerhunter, The Breeders and the Black Lips are all playing next week AND my exams will be finished by then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭iHeartRyanAdams

whelans on a friday or saturday night is fantastic.
    live band upstairs, vintage classics downstairs (talking heads, springsteen, joy division, bowie), and then newer indie in the middle.
    only thing is its a €10 in, but guaranteed excellent music!
    the village(not the gig venue) but the front bar during the week sometimes has some kickass bands. its actually really nice as well!

pravda..just on the quay has some really great gigs as well.
    wednesday is a slot for up'n'coming bands and thurs is just choons!

mick flannery is playing vicar street this wednesday! he is amazing!
    would strongly recommend going unless you've a rotten exam the next day!
    they ruin everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭ludwit

What sorts of stuff was he playing?

just more modern dance music, dance/indie crossover tunes and not the obvious tunes from big bands catalogues.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

Aren't there Exam's on at the moment? or coming up.... half the student population heading off for the summer etc? Been to NoDisko a good few times myself and it's been rocking.... even annoyed the DJs to play a few tunes no hassle at all. Haven't been myself in awhile due working early on Saturday but :( might be time to make reappearance, hopefully no one can hear hungover to bits on the phone :cool:!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've been trying out some indie nights recently - has the definition of indie changed since I was younger? There seems to be a lot more electronic and poppy type music. Indie has veered too much away from rock.

I grew up with Freakscene/Planet of Sound in Sir Henry's in Cork and pubs like the Oval (before it changed). Right now, I frequent Bruxelles because at least the music is rock-orientated - though I can't quite claim I like speed/thrash metal :D

So, long and short, is there anything in Dublin that does a rock/indie night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

BAMP for great justice.

Thursday night in Andys Lane any good?

Class piss-up (the old secondary class, bless) on Thursday, want to steer away from the Button Factory for a change.

Also, how much in?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Few people saying Antics is good a few months back, is it still decent?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Antics has been really good lately! I'm going tomorrow night, and have been three out of the past six weeks I'd say.

Is it as busy now with all the studentals at home?
    God, Im going to miss that place during the summer. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Whelans is supposed to be good for indie night out. I haven't beeen there, though, it's just a word of mouth

Antics is slick, went there last night, really good night.

Antics is slick, went there last night, really good night.

I had a great night! Good tunes, good people, ah yeah ;)

Trashed is a lot of win lately, going tomorrow after being very impressed last week. Thursday Night Button Factory got boring for me a while back, so a nice change of pace.

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Trashed is a lot of win lately, going tomorrow after being very impressed last week. Thursday Night Button Factory got boring for me a while back, so a nice change of pace.

Trashed! has always been good when I go there, was planning on heading out tomorrow, but well I won't be even if my mates are...fecking forehead and nose is covered in sunburn blisters from Slane.:mad:

• Advertisement

What's the night in ALT on a Tuesday called? I was there in October and it was called Trashed, has it changed?

What's the night in ALT on a Tuesday called? I was there in October and it was called Trashed, has it changed?

Nope that's still Trashed!.;)

Still Trashed! Heading there tomorrow night :)

Ah it's late, I know see that's been posted already, my bad. What's the scene like there? People/music etc? Drinks promos? Last time I was there it was heavy dance/electronica music, same?

Pretty much the usual electro/dance/indie mix that's around now. The crowd can be very mixed,''scene" wise and age wise I'd say students, under 25s or so.
    You can get two Red Bull+Vodka for a tenner, some shot and Tiger are 3.50 each, afaik.

Twee. wrote: »
    Pretty much the usual electro/dance/indie mix that's around now. The crowd can be very mixed,''scene" wise and age wise I'd say students, under 25s or so.
    You can get two Red Bull+Vodka for a tenner, some shot and Tiger are 3.50 each, afaik.

Yeah that's same as I was there last time. Cooooool. Thanks :)

So, in terms of my research:

*Trashed! (Didn't know about the !, cheers GavinShels) is still brilliant.

*Pints of Budweiser are 3.50, hard to fault.

*DJ went from Ladyhawke to NWA like it was nobodies business.

*Crowd are great, very few of whatever it is that constitutes what your Ma thinks people who like indie music are (Stupidly tight trousers, 'the hair' etc.)

*I'm going next week, and if you're reading this and a winner, you are too.

*****/*****

It sure was a good one last night, had a really fun night.

Being the only Palmerstown head there I was offered a fine couch in Stillorgan by a friend and we walked the Luas lines home. What did we talk about?

How great Trashed is, naturally.

*continues to count the minutes until next Tuesday.
    why am i not asleep.

• Advertisement

I had to get a whole €17 taxi home to Palmerstown :eek: My usual Parmo team stayed in, boo-hiss!

Advertisement