Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question-Handheld GPS Navigation!??

Options
  • 02-02-2009 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a handheld GPS navigation system which i can use while hillwalking around the countries mountains. There are a few on the market, but some of them appear not to have the ability to ass maps to them the way you can with in-car sat navs. Is it possible to download official OSI maps onto the devices, and if so what is the best device to buy.
    Does anyone own one of these things?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I have a Garmin Oregon 400T. It has European base maps which are fairly good - all the roads seem to be there, along with contour lines, rivers, streams, lakes etc. It's not as detailed as OS maps, but it's a big help in figuring out where you are on the OS map. Apparently Garmin recently bought the rights to the OS maps, so i'd imagine they'll be available to buy at some point. You can plan a route on Geolives and download it to the Garmin.

Advertisement