Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card overseas charges

Options
  • 02-02-2009 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm going to Thailand and Dubai this month and I am planning on using my credit card over there. I'll have it topped up with my own money. I rang the banks card services today to enquire about what charges I would incur for using it over there and they said I'd be charged 1.75% because I'll be withdrawing the money in a foreign currency. But they were not able to tell me roughly how much that would work out at.

Can somebody explain to me what is the 1.75% based on?

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

Hi all,

I'm going to Thailand and Dubai this month and I am planning on using my credit card over there. I'll have it topped up with my own money. I rang the banks card services today to enquire about what charges I would incur for using it over there and they said I'd be charged 1.75% because I'll be withdrawing the money in a foreign currency. But they were not able to tell me roughly how much that would work out at.

Thanks a million.

I believe its a Cross Border Handling Fee:
    A cross-border handling fee will not apply to transactions in euro.
    All other transactions will be subject to a cross-border handling fee of up to 1.75% of the transaction.

So how much it costs you depends on how much you withdraw over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi all,

Thanks a million.

Also the ATM provider might also makes charages in addition to the CC charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What card provider do you have?

The reason i ask, because some provides still charge a cash advancement fee even if the account is in credit. This can be around €2 minimum a transaction depending on the type of card.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

Its a BOI Mastercard. What would the charges likely be if I withdrew €100 for example?

Its a BOI Mastercard. What would the charges likely be if I withdrew 100 for example?

With that card you dont get charged from transactions when the account is in credit. If its not in credit it would be 1.5% or a minimum of 2.54 for cash/ATM transactions. But you will be charged the currency fee on all transactions.

• Advertisement

davton wrote: »
    But you will be charged the currency fee on all transactions.

This is what I'm trying to work out;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭willy wonka

I'm in the same boat as yourself OP. BOI Mastercard but going To Australia and topping up my CC like you before I go. I wonder if it would be cheaper to just bring a wad of cash with me (but less secure obviously)

Also BOI exchange rates have been pretty crap so thats another reason why I dont want to use the CC. (1.87 bureau de change in bank, 1.96 booking a hotel online :eek:)

1.75% is the charge on top of the transaction amount.

$1.28 = €1.00

So a 100 dollar transaction would be €78.16 + €1.36 [1.75%] = €79.52

€79.52 is what you would see on your statement.

This is a fee for every payment and cash withdrawal in a currency other than euro.

Ah okay thanks for that davton. I think I'll stick with de credit card. Sure if I spend €1000 I'm going to be charged €17.50. It'll have to do.

I'll get a lazer card with cirrus for future trips as I heard there's no charge for using that.

Advertisement