Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning & Sustainable Development UCC

• 02-02-2009 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

hi,

I'am considering applying for the master's in Planning and Sustainable Development at UCC. I was wondering has anyone done this course or the MRUP in UCD.

I know its a new course, is it being run well? what are the facilities like?
    Whats the course like? workload, hours etc..?
    What are the career prospects in the planning sector like these days?
    How dependent on the construction industry is it? what other areas are graduates able to follow?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭jimboddb

If your interested in doing planning it has to be ucd. I worked with the guy running the ucc one & know some of the lecturers and havent heard great reviews to be honest. Its also very expensive for what was/is a poorly run masters programme. Very few jobs in the sector now as well im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭4arc

The MRUP is abouut €1600 more expensive than UCC per year!
    Graduates would possess the same qualification though?

Couldn't stand another two years in Richview though!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 iarmhii

Hi All,

Just wondering if this course is worthwhile doing and if anyone has any knowledge of types of jobs past students can progressed to ? Is it mainly focused on planning issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

To be honest I'd stay away from planning at the moment. I looked into it in my final year but I'm glad I stayed away from it. A lot of planners in Ireland work in the public sector but there is a public sector recruitment embargo on at the moment. Add to that the massive slump in construction and the very probable slashing of infratsructural spending in the budget and you don't get a nice picture. I'm not sure how things are for planners in private practice (probably not good) or abroad.

2 guys from my year did the planning masters in UCC. They graduated last year, both are working...just not in planning or anything related to it. The course is 2 years long and the fees are also quite large. I did my masters in the UK and I knew a few Irish people at the university that were doing planning. Again, none of them are working in planning.

Advertisement