Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Agree on the Subs issue.

Killian was outmuscled by Aidan Walsh in the 2nd half and Brosnan should have come on much quicker.

Buckley was also shagged 5mins into the 2nd half and needed to come off even before Donaghy came on. Made one great field between that time and the time that he came off but he was still struggling.

Absolute rubbish.

Great management team out smarted Cork. Full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Rightwing wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish.

1. What part of the post is rubbish? Do you disagree that Young struggled physically with Walsh, that Buckley was out on his feet after 5 minutes of the 2nd half or all of it?

2. Where did I say otherwise. Fitzmaurice put in a great performance, but should have changed quicker IN MY OPINION!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

1. What part of the post is rubbish? Do you disagree that Young struggled physically with Walsh, that Buckley was out on his feet after 5 minutes of the 2nd half or all of it?

2. Where did I say otherwise. Fitzmaurice put in a great performance, but should have changed quicker IN MY OPINION!

Shane Enright played most of the game at center back. the match ups were strange, marc was playing full back also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Rightwing wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish.

I'll bite on this one - a mediocre management team could out smart Cork with Counihan at the helm.
    Shane Enright played most of the game at center back. the match ups were strange, marc was playing full back also.

The match ups were quite strange it has to be said - disappointed not to see Hurley vs. Griffin as they're both physical players and it would have been a good contest, thought Hurley bossed Marc a bit physically when he got the right ball in.

Young looked very good in the first half I thought, Crowley was quiet throughout although popped up with a good score at the end, he didn't venture forward enough for my liking.

D'Agger wrote: »
    I'll bite on this one - a mediocre management team could out smart Cork with Counihan at the helm.

The match ups were quite strange it has to be said - disappointed not to see Hurley vs. Griffin as they're both physical players and it would have been a good contest, thought Hurley bossed Marc a bit physically when he got the right ball in.

Young looked very good in the first half I thought, Crowley was quiet throughout although popped up with a good score at the end, he didn't venture forward enough for my liking.

You could well be right, but we must remember where Counihan took Cork from. They are not finished yet, but I do agree he was found wanting badly yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

This was very strange in my opinion.

I would have assumed Griffin was a much more natural fit for Hurley.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Griffin has marked Hurley in the U21's overe the last few years, the Corkman has got the better of Kerryman on each occasion. Maybe thats why they played Marc on Hurley.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Tomas O'Se made far too many long runs up the field. He was shot long before he kicked the ball and hence kicked a lot of bad wides. I know he's been doing it since he was a child but he really needs to tailor his game better to his current age or he's going to struggle to make it through a half of football without being gassed in the AIQF.

Syferus wrote: »
    Tomas O'Se made far too many long runs up the field. He was shot long before he kicked the ball and hence kicked a lot of bad wides. I know he's been doing it since he was a child but he really needs to tailor his game better to his current age or he's going to struggle to make it through a half of football without being gassed in the AIQF.

I agree, it was headless stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

I'm setting Friday as the target day for a full recovery..absolutely wrecked, but a great weekend s always in Killarney.

Think some people have a skewed analysis of the game myself. This "second half collapse" by Kerry is a slight myth in my eyes. 1-10 to 0-6 at half time (should have been roughly 2-15 to 0-10)...after 17 or so minutes of the 2nd half it was 1-14 to 0-8 so Kerry had outscored Cork 4-2 at that point...from there on I think Kerry switched off a bit mentally and the exertions definitely took their toll on what (despite it being slightly overcast) was a a roaster of a day. It was never very likely that Cork would score enough to win from 9 pts down at that point..even if it got a bit too close for comfort at one point.

A lot can be and has been said about the respective performances on Sunday, but from a Kerry perspective, Young at centre back is a worry, Marc needs to tighten up, Tomás needs to stop shooting so much, Kealy's kickouts a bit off...they would be some of the "things to work on" column...there were loads of positives though..Forward line buzzing, midfield running like clockwork for a lot of the game, serious bench options when we thought we might be weak there, Galvin back doing what he does best and looking sharp. Not a complete performance by any means but plenty to be positive about.

• Advertisement

Ah shur Tomás is running on empty and much like Kerry overall will be badly exposed by Kildare and those sort of teams, isn't that right Syf?:D

keane2097 wrote: »
    I meant to say earlier, I thought Donnacha Walsh was absolutely outstanding yesterday. He gets plenty of flak but boy oh boy he was good yesterday.

He was decent..wasn't being marked by anyone for the majority of the game though to be fair. I always said it, he can do fine in most games in Munster, but he will be exposed by the half backs of Dublin, Donegal or Mayo in Croker and I hope Fitz has prepared for that eventuality.

He was decent..wasn't being marked by anyone for the majority of the game though to be fair. I always said it, he can do fine in most games in Munster, but he will be exposed by the half backs of Dublin, Donegal or Mayo in Croker and I hope Fitz has prepared for that eventuality.
    How will he be exposed? His workrate is the best part of his game, if anything he'll be first name on the teamsheet versus a team like Dublin who attack from those positions - I'd prefer him on the wing against quality wing backs over Darran O'Sullivan, or some of the other alternatives we have

How will he be exposed? His workrate is the best part of his game, if anything he'll be first name on the teamsheet versus a team like Dublin who attack from those positions - I'd prefer him on the wing against quality wing backs over Darran O'Sullivan, or some of the other alternatives we have

You think he will stick with Jack McCaffrey or Frank McGlynn for example pace-wise do you?
    3 years ago a limited, yet pacey half back (Kissane) got 3 from play in a Munster final while marking Donnacha..it makes me fearful to think what someone likely McCaffrey could do to be honest.
    For all this talk about "workrate" and "graft" he is a poor tackler and doesn't win turnovers that often...Darran can be patchy in form, but he would effect a high level game a damn sight more in every aspect of play IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Ah shur Tomás is running on empty and much like Kerry overall will be badly exposed by Kildare and those sort of teams, isn't that right Syf?:D

Kerry are far more talented than Kildare but they've faded multiple in the last couple of years even you have to have some worries about them being able to edge a game where they don't build up a lead and can sit back. Kildare could very possibly pack their defence with 12 or 13 men and keep the score down for 50 minutes and pour forward in the last quarter when Kerry tire. Donegal showed the way in last year's AIQF in terms of making Kerry appear one dimensional by stuffing the ball carrier outside the 45 and forcing Kerry to kick long when they didn't really want to. Kildare's strength is their fitness while it's Kerry's big weakness.

Barring meeting Tyrone/maybe Kildare in the AIQF Kerry should find themselves playing Dublin in an AISF. It would be an exciting game of football given the two teams' styles but it's hard to see how Kerry could win it, no matter how much the spirit is willing.

Kerry are far more talented than Kildare but they've faded multiple in the last couple of years even you have to have some worries about them being able to edge a game where they don't build up a lead and can sit back. Kildare could very possibly pack their defence with 12 or 13 men and keep the score down for 50 minutes and pour forward in the last quarter when Kerry tire. Donegal showed the way in last year's AIQF in terms of making Kerry appear one dimensional by stuffing the ball carrier outside the 45 and forcing Kerry to kick long when they didn't really want to. Kildare's strength is their fitness while it's Kerry's big weakness.

Barring meeting Tyrone/maybe Kildare in the AIQF Kerry should find themselves playing Dublin in an AISF. It would be an exciting game of football given the two teams' styles but it's hard to see how Kerry could win it, no matter how much the spirit is willing.

Kerry have faded multiple times? Who was on top in the last 10 mins of the Kerry v (supposedly super fit) Donegal last year?

Are you one of these self-hating trolls or something? I seem to recall you making a song and dance about the unfairness (to Ballymun) of Crokes v Ballymun being in Thurles..can't recall what response you had to the revelation that it was a 20km shorter trip for Ballymun!

You think he will stick with Jack McCaffrey or Frank McGlynn for example pace-wise do you?
    3 years ago a limited, yet pacey half back (Kissane) got 3 from play in a Munster final while marking Donnacha..it makes me fearful to think what someone likely McCaffrey could do to be honest.
    For all this talk about "workrate" and "graft" he is a poor tackler and doesn't win turnovers that often...Darran can be patchy in form, but he would effect a high level game a damn sight more in every aspect of play IMO.

3 years ago Cork attacked almost exclusively with their half backs and won an All Ireland - there were plenty of teams, the Dubs included who couldn't handle them that year.

The idea now when facing teams that employ this tactic is cut down on the space they can run into by pulling your half forwards down the field. I'd play Walsh in that position and let him do his thing. If you're playing Darran in that position I'd be willing to bet he'll have less turnovers and don't get me started on his tackling/racing into a fella at full tilt.

The only thing Darran would offer is quicker counters but even then his pace is better used in the FF line where you can give it in and almost guarantee possession for players to make runs off him - something I thought D.W. did quite well the other day - should have had a goal if James O'Donoghue hadn't backed himself to score and should have passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Kerry have faded multiple times? Who was on top in the last 10 mins of the Kerry v (supposedly super fit) Donegal last year?

Are you one of these self-hating trolls or something? I seem to recall you making a song and dance about the unfairness (to Ballymun) of Crokes v Ballymun being in Thurles..can't recall what response you had to the revelation that it was a 20km shorter trip for Ballymun!

Yes he is a bit of a troll but in reality can Kerry adopt the same pacey running style for a full game v a better organized defence than Cork.

It's a style that they have adopted in their last two 'important' games, in the league v Tyrone and v Cork, with the same results, big first half lead that was whittled down to the bone in the second half.

Yes he is a bit of a troll but in reality can Kerry adopt the same pacey running style for a full game v a better organized defence than Cork.

It's a style that they have adopted in their last two 'important' games, in the league v Tyrone and v Cork, with the same results, big first half lead that was whittled down to the bone in the second half.
    Did the Tyrone game involve a fairly significant wind?

I know a wind doesn't win a game but it can certainly be an important factor

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

I think unless you were at the match the last day it's tough to understand just how hot and sweltering the conditions were. It was up there among one of the hottest days I've ever spent at a match.

There were a fair few people who needed medical assistance in the stadium due to the heat.

The general vibe I've gotten the last few days around Killarney is job done in terms of beating the old enemy but definitely a lot more work needed to do if Kerry want to bring Sam home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Syferus, stop trolling the Kerrymen. Kildare have not played with a massed defence since 2008 and this myth about Kildare players being super fit is exactly that - a myth.

I think the one team capable of beating Dublin this year is Kerry. They have an experienced core of players who don't have any fear of the Dublin jersey or playing them in Croke Park, if anything they relish that sort of test. The motivation of revenge for 2011 when Kerry left it behind them would also be a big factor in any possible match. I fully expect Kerry to comfortably negotiate their quarter final and then give Dublin a hell of a battle in the semi final. If they can sort out the centre back position where Killian Young is a bit too loose then they have a good chance. The Dublin defence can be got at as an inexperienced Kildare forward line showed in the opening stages and there is still no better group of six forwards in the country than Kerry's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Kerry Ladies beat Cork for the second time this year and put an end to their 9 year reign as Munster Champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Any reports from the County Championship games that were on today (Sunday)

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news.php?item=1080&full=y

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I've seen them- some are very poor!

I wanted some insight into how the 2 Tralee teams got on but the report on both games is very poor

Draw made this morning.

AFAIK Kerry can't get Cork in the Quarter Finals, so we should be left with: Derry(Cavan)/Monaghan/Tyrone(Kildare/Meath)

Would be happy enough with any of those teams bar Tyrone. We could beat them, I have no doubt, but there would be a certain hype that we could do without leading up to a QF. We want minimum fuss leading into a SF against Dublin.

Meath would be interesting. Their pace would prepare us in someway for Dublin, but I think of the Tyrone/Kildare/Meath side, Tyrone are marginally stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Draw made this morning.

AFAIK Kerry can't get Cork in the Quarter Finals, so we should be left with: Derry(Cavan)/Monaghan/Tyrone(Kildare/Meath)

Would be happy enough with any of those teams bar Tyrone. We could beat them, I have no doubt, but there would be a certain hype that we could do without leading up to a QF. We want minimum fuss leading into a SF against Dublin.

Meath would be interesting. Their pace would prepare us in someway for Dublin, but I think of the Tyrone/Kildare/Meath side, Tyrone are marginally stronger.

If we don't meet a reasonably strong team in the QF we won't get past a semi final. Maybe the hype wouldn't be a bad thing, as if we're to meet Dublin, there'd be plenty of hype there.

MOTM wrote: »
    If we don't meet a reasonably strong team in the QF we won't get past a semi final. Maybe the hype wouldn't be a bad thing, as if we're to meet Dublin, there'd be plenty of hype there.
    All those teams are fairly physical so wither way we'll be in for a good test - I wouldn't want Meath although I think overall we'd be able to dominate up front and around the middle against them.

Kildare have dropped in the past year or so imo but are still well capable of upping it on the day and putting it up to most teams

MOTM wrote: »
    I disagree slightly.

I don't buy the crap that Kerry are gone, and the legs are gone etc., but it is very tough to pull out 4 big games in a row.

Cork, Tyrone, Dublin, Donegal would be a hellish run-in and we'd find it very hard to win the All Ireland that way.

If we had an easier QF, it would mean that we could focuss more on our fitness and gameplan to play Dublin, and cruise through the QF a bit. Of course there is a massive risk that you get caught and dumped out (like Down in 2010), but the benifits usually outweigh the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Plenty in todays Irish examiner in Kerry county championships

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement