Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Don't suppose anyone is travelling up from Tralee to Dublin tomorrow or saturday morning that could carry up a box of business cards for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Afraid not. In London at the moment.

Build up to the match is surprisingly low key.

People more interested in the Royal baby then a first championship appearance in Croke Park!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Afraid not. In London at the moment.

Build up to the match is surprisingly low key.

People more interested in the Royal baby then a first championship appearance in Croke Park!

Cheek of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Are the training sessions still being closed off - hopefully so, it means there's not as much known about how we're going, how hard we're being pushed and so on.

Would love to head up to the quarters but hoping to head to Indiependance on the BH weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I'm hoping the other Quarter Finals will turn out this way

Cork to beat the Jackeens to get them out of the picture
    Monaghan to do the same with Tyrone
    Mayo to beat Donegal

I'd fancy our chances against Cork, Monaghan or Mayo even though to give the Dubs or Tyrone a marquee thrashing in the final would be worth watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

dd972 wrote: »
    I'm hoping the other Quarter Finals will turn out this way

Cork to beat the Jackeens to get them out of the picture
    Monaghan to do the same with Tyrone
    Mayo to beat Donegal

I'd fancy our chances against Cork, Monaghan or Mayo even though to give the Dubs or Tyrone a marquee thrashing in the final would be worth watching.

I'm assuming you're hoping we'll beat Cavan. Remember Down 2010 or recent narrow wins against monaghan? P.s. we can only get Dublin in the semi.

To get to a final would we worth watching. All remaining teams there on merit. No flukes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Cavan will be no push overs at all, could go either way.

at least we know now what lies ahead of us for the summer, though of course its one game at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Cavan will be no push overs at all, could go either way.

at least we know now what lies ahead of us for the summer, though of course its one game at a time.

I think Kerry will be hoping that Cavan gave them a good game and but win by a margin of about 2-3pts. If Kerry win by more than 6+ points i dont know if they would learn alot from such a game and it wouldnt be the ideal situation facing Dublin in the semi final. Same could be said for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

To be fair we were probably hoping for Tyrone or Donegal,Well we got Cavan.

Cian Mackey is probably the form player of the championship so far,He is a roaming wing forward(Dooher style) so that could be a job for Killian or Crowley.

Givney is a lovely midfielder but i doubt he will get much change in that sector with our boys there.

The full forward line is where they click,Reilly & Keating are top drawer and Martin Dunne is the next big thing,Should ask alot of questions of our full back line.

Over all you would expect Kerry to come through with a little to spare and it might be a good game to give game time to the likes of Fionn,Aidan Mahoney,Moran etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

I'd take a 6 point win over a loss any day :)

• Advertisement

Prop Joe wrote: »

Cian Mackey is probably the form player of the championship so far,He is a roaming wing forward(Dooher style) so that could be a job for Killian or Crowley.

Givney is a lovely midfielder but i doubt he will get much change in that sector with our boys there.

The full forward line is where they click,Reilly & Keating are top drawer and Martin Dunne is the next big thing,Should ask alot of questions of our full back line.

Over all you would expect Kerry to come through with a little to spare and it might be a good game to give game time to the likes of Fionn,Aidan Mahoney,Moran etc..
    I don't see why we'd be hoping for a game against the reigning AI champions or one of our biggest rivals in the QF stage ahead of a potential semi vs. Cork or Dublin tbqh

Cavan are a good outfit and well able to take their scores, plenty of potential coming through from their u21 success so not an easy match but I'd imagine we'll pull through.

I'd like to see Fionn Fitz starting given the space he will have to break out of defence with in Croke Park. Not expecting him to start but if he comes on I'd expect him to have as big an impact as he did vs. Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Prop Joe wrote: »

I haven't seen much of Kerry this year. What's your midfield like lads? Poster above seems to rate it but a Kerryman I've known years told me the worry down there was who'd mark Givney.

Mackey has been carrying an injury and has been a bit off form the past couple of matches. I was actually hoping he'd get a bit of a rest against London but that wasn't to be.

Our lads were very nervous last Saturday so they'll need to improve. Your lads are well used to Croke Park. Ours aren't.

That said, I think we can give yas a good game if we get over the nerves and play like we did against Derry.

My one worry is tiredness. That 90 minute game in the heat against Derry is still having its effect on our lads.

Midfield is as good as it has been in years.

Maher and Buckley have great chemistry, great physicality and both cover tremendous amounts of ground.

We destroyed Cork at midfield for 45-50 minutes, and then got really tired and totally faded. If the fitness has come on then I'd expect us to compete well at midfield for 55-60 minutes before bringing on Sheehan/Donaghy/Moran around the middle.

Buckley and Givney are quite similar players, great going forward and both love kicking points with the outside of the right.

I'm a massive Givney fan from watching DIT at this years Sigerson cup. He was magnificent against Intercounty Standard teams in DCU and UCC. Brian Menton got player of the tournament, but Givney could easily have got it.

This youtube clip should be named the David Givney highlight reel.

Still as much of a fan as I am of him, I think that Johnny Buckley will be well matched with him. Should be a great battle.

EDIT: Also Martin Reilly (Number 12 in the clip) is a serious operator. He loves sweeping up breaking ball when out around the half-forward line and is a key link man closer to goal.

Midfield is as good as it has been in years.

Maher and Buckley have great chemistry, great physicality and both cover tremendous amounts of ground.

We destroyed Cork at midfield for 45-50 minutes, and then got really tired and totally faded. If the fitness has come on then I'd expect us to compete well at midfield for 55-60 minutes before bringing on Sheehan/Donaghy/Moran around the middle.

Buckley and Givney are quite similar players, great going forward and both love kicking points with the outside of the right.

I'm a massive Givney fan from watching DIT at this years Sigerson cup. He was magnificent against Intercounty Standard teams in DCU and UCC. Brian Menton got player of the tournament, but Givney could easily have got it.

This youtube clip should be named the David Givney highlight reel.

Still as much of a fan as I am of him, I think that Johnny Buckley will be well matched with him. Should be a great battle.

EDIT: Also Martin Reilly (Number 12 in the clip) is a serious operator. He loves sweeping up breaking ball when out around the half-forward line and is a key link man closer to goal.

I didn't see the Cork Kerry game to be honest. Can't remember why. Not sure if Cavan were playing that day or what.

Do you think it'll be a big factor for Kerry that they haven't played in 4/5 weeks?

The funny thing is Givney couldn't get a game at midfield for Cavan in the league. He was deployed at full forward until the injury to Gearoid McKiernan meant he got a chance at midfield in the Championship. I would prefer to see him at midfield and McKiernan on the 40, when both are fit, but in fairness Terry seems to know what he's doing.

Cavan's other midfielder is Mossy Corr who is a bit of an unsung hero that gets through a trojan amount of work and is a real physical battler. Last week when some of the Cavan players were getting nervous towards the end of the first half he sauntered up the pitch to steady the nerves and score two good points in a row. I still think he was a massive loss against Monaghan and honestly think had he played the result could have been different. He brings experience and a real physical edge to the team. At 27 or 28 he's one of the few players on the team over 25.

The interesting thing about Martin Reilly is that he only got his chance because Niall McDermott picked up an injury. He's a good player but he wasn't first choice until the Derry game and he really took his chance when he got it with a Man of the Match performance. I think he deserves to hold his place and that Jack Brady should make way for McDermott to come back in.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I didn't see the Cork Kerry game to be honest. Can't remember why. Not sure if Cavan were playing that day or what.

Do you think it'll be a big factor for Kerry that they haven't played in 4/5 weeks?

The funny thing is Givney couldn't get a game at midfield for Cavan in the league. He was deployed at full forward until the injury to Gearoid McKiernan meant he got a chance at midfield in the Championship. I would prefer to see him at midfield and McKiernan on the 40, when both are fit, but in fairness Terry seems to know what he's doing.

Cavan's other midfielder is Mossy Corr who is a bit of an unsung hero that gets through a trojan amount of work and is a real physical battler. Last week when some of the Cavan players were getting nervous towards the end of the first half he sauntered up the pitch to steady the nerves and score two good points in a row. I still think he was a massive loss against Monaghan and honestly think had he played the result could have been different. He brings experience and a real physical edge to the team. At 27 or 28 he's one of the few players on the team over 25.

The interesting thing about Martin Reilly is that he only got his chance because Niall McDermott picked up an injury. He's a good player but he wasn't first choice until the Derry game and he really took his chance when he got it with a Man of the Match performance. I think he deserves to hold his place and that Jack Brady should make way for McDermott to come back in.
    I don't think the 4/5 weeks thing will be a huge factor. We had a 4 week break or so leading into the Cork game and we lit it up in the first few minutes.

Funnily enough, I remember writing in the Cavan thread here months ago, professing my football love for Givney, more then likely after the Sigerson weekend. Himself and Aidan O'Shea lit it up that weekend and were worth the entry fee in both games. I'll have to find my exact post, but I remember thinking that Cavan had a big future ahead of them, especially given the u21 success recently, but I never would have imagined such a meteoric rise.

I think Jack Brady is a lovely footballer, but Reilly (while being unremarkable physically) just has a knack of getting on the ball at vital stages. Trojan worker. He has a habit of picking up yellow cards though, which cost him against Fermanagh. He will always take one for the team, if a guy is going through.

The way you describe Carr, sounds like our own Anthony Maher. He's the steel to Johnny Buckley's style. He's a big hitter (the video below), but can also kick a long range score. He kicked 2 bad wides against Cork, but he's usually more reliable.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way (I mean no disrespect) but Cavan aren't going to win individual matchups. If we went toe to toe, man on man I'd expect Kerry to win handsomely. However, the game won't be played man to man. As you know, Cavan get numbers back and defend well as a unit and get good scores through counter attacks and some direct play. They will let Kerry come at them, and then smother them, and break quickly. On top of that they actually attack really well. Their footpassing against Armagh was a joy to watch, and they carved open the man marking system. Also, Cavan have a strength where Kerry have a weakness. Kerry are still soft going through the middle (if you can get past Maher at midfield), and Mackey loves running stright through the middle.

I'm quite wary of Cavan, and its by no means a pushover as some are suggesting, but i'd expect our experience to win out by a few points in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Kerry team to play Cavan is:

1.Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin)
    2.Fionn Fitzgerald (Dr Crokes)
    3.Marc Ó Sé (An Gaeltacht)
    4.Shane Enright (Tarbert)
    5.Tomás Ó Sé (An Gaeltacht)
    6.Killian Young (Renard)
    7.Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)
    8.Anthony Maher (Duagh)
    9.Johnny Buckley (Dr Crokes)
    10.Paul Galvin (Finuge)
    11.Colm Cooper (Dr Crokes)(Capt)
    12.Donnchadh Walsh (Cromane)
    13.Declan O’Sullivan (Dromid Pearses)
    14.Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks)
    15.Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar)

Subs:
    16.Brian Kelly (Killarney Legion)
    17.Mark Griffin (St Michaels/Foilmore)
    18.Eoin Brosnan (Dr Crokes)
    19.Bryan Sheehan (St Marys)
    20.Kieran O’Leary (Dr Crokes)
    21.Patrick Curtin (Moyvane)
    22.David Moran (Kerins O’Rahillys)
    23.Jack Sherwood (Firies)
    24.Paul Geaney (Dingle)
    25.Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore)
    26.Michael Geaney (Dingle)

Looks like the rumours of JOD's injury have come to pass. Griffen is unlucky, but with Cavan not having a target man at full forward we will survive with 3 corner backs. Great for Fionn though and fully deserved after his cameo v Cork. Other then that its as expected.

Donaghy returning means a change in style an also means we won't be giving the Dubs much to work with if we get them in the Semis. It'll be interesting to see if our fitness has progressed.

Really looking forward to the game now.

Ciarraí Abú

Looks like the rumours of JOD's injury have come to pass. Griffen is unlucky, but with Cavan not having a target man at full forward we will survive with 3 corner backs. Great for Fionn though and fully deserved after his cameo v Cork. Other then that its as expected.

Donaghy returning means a change in style an also means we won't be giving the Dubs much to work with if we get them in the Semis. It'll be interesting to see if our fitness has progressed.

Ciarraí Abú

I wouldn't mind seeing Keating stuck in as a target man at full forward. He scored 6 points off McGee last year in our game against Donegal.

That said, I think an important part of our system is holding onto possession so I don't think management like the idea of giving that away cheaply by lobbing in high balls, the majority of which may not come off.

Givney played at full forward in the league while Keating was injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

duchalla wrote: »
    Kerry team to play Cavan is:

1.Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin)
    2.Fionn Fitzgerald (Dr Crokes)
    3.Marc Ó Sé (An Gaeltacht)
    4.Shane Enright (Tarbert)
    5.Tomás Ó Sé (An Gaeltacht)
    6.Killian Young (Renard)
    7.Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)
    8.Anthony Maher (Duagh)
    9.Johnny Buckley (Dr Crokes)
    10.Paul Galvin (Finuge)
    11.Colm Cooper (Dr Crokes)(Capt)
    12.Donnchadh Walsh (Cromane)
    13.Declan O’Sullivan (Dromid Pearses)
    14.Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks)
    15.Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar)

Subs:
    16.Brian Kelly (Killarney Legion)
    17.Mark Griffin (St Michaels/Foilmore)
    18.Eoin Brosnan (Dr Crokes)
    19.Bryan Sheehan (St Marys)
    20.Kieran O’Leary (Dr Crokes)
    21.Patrick Curtin (Moyvane)
    22.David Moran (Kerins O’Rahillys)
    23.Jack Sherwood (Firies)
    24.Paul Geaney (Dingle)
    25.Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore)
    26.Michael Geaney (Dingle)

How is David Moran doing these days? Anywhere near this team?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scatman carruthers

Tommy Walsh any chance of him returning for 2014 he's doing nothing out in the afl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Question: Is Paudie Palmer originally a Kerryman and where in Kerry is he from?

One of the lads at work said he is from Kerry but didn't know where. Did a quick google search but found nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Tommy Walsh any chance of him returning for 2014 he's doing nothing out in the afl
    He's getting paid

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

He's been injured for a couple of months at this stage.

we could put out a pretty decent front 8 off who is not starting the next day.

Moran
    Sheehan
    O Leary
    Brosnan
    M Geaney
    O Donoghue---Curtain
    P Geaney

our backs options look a little bit light though i suppose Mahoney, Griffan and Brosnan are as good as anybody else.

is Gooch the captain again now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

keane2097 wrote: »
    He's been injured for a couple of months at this stage.

he tore is hamstring off the bone, won't be playing again until 2014. Nasty injury just when he was finally getting a run in the first team. I can see him back with kerry before too long

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

willabur wrote: »
    he tore is hamstring off the bone, won't be playing again until 2014. Nasty injury just when he was finally getting a run in the first team. I can see him back with kerry before too long

Pretty sure he has a contract for the 2014 AFL season.

If I was betting I would say the odds are better than 50% he will be back in Kerry for the league campaign in 2015.

Ciarraí Abú
    Looking forward to seeing us under Fitz in Croker - hoping for a strong performance.

Credit to Fionn - deserves to be there after the Cork game, was a fantastic outlet in the closing stages and hopefully he'll do the same this time around.

Gutted to see James out but Donnaghy can cause problems so at least we have a ready replacement.

James is a big loss....is having an excellent year.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Kerry 4/5 to win both halves, great bet I reckon. Cavan will put men behind the ball, but I'd be surprised if Kerry dont go in at half time leading, They'll push on then in the 2 nd half.

• Advertisement

job done, alot to work on, nobody will give us a chance against Dublin.

ideal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement