Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just saw this on the RTE website
    It has been confirmed that Kerry defender Killian Young has suffered a fractured ankle.

The Renard clubman suffered the injury during a training match today and will now miss the All-Ireland SFC semi-final against Dublin on 1 September.

A statement on Kerry’s official website read: “Kerry defender Killian Young sustained a fractured ankle in an internal training match today. He will be meeting a consultant early next week.”

A bad blow, one would assume that Brosnan would hacve to go in a centre back full time, but how fit and ready is he ?
    Are there any other options ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Congrats to the Kerry Ladies who had a narrow 2-14 to 2-13 victory over Mayo today.

They are having a fantastic season, winning promotion from Division 2 and beating Cork twice on the way to winning the Munster championship.

They are blowing teams off the park and winning the tight games as well which is a great sign.

Be sum game with cork.Take sum team to beat cork three times in a row.

Is that muriteaigh ,the kerry Ace anything to Micheal?

Breen is sum player,sum duel with juliet the great awaits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Be sum game with cork.Take sum team to beat cork three times in a row.

Is that muriteaigh ,the kerry Ace anything to Micheal?

Breen is sum player,sum duel with juliet the great awaits.

Has a nice ring to it...:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

JFlah wrote: »
    Yeah got lucky today but I think Mayo were underrated also, Cora Staunton is/has been some player down the years. Kerry v's Cork in SF I think ..should be a cracker incredible comeback by Cork today.

Only really got into the ladies game once my daughter reached competetive age groups but love it now at all levels.Pure football generally played openly at a very good level , little or no cynicism and loads of cracking games ... hard to beat it and the mens game could learn a lot from it !

Cork v Kerry on 7th September

What a game between Mayo and Kerry - superb game of football. Both teams flying fit! Meant to comment off my phone to DDC;'s comment, but didn't get a chance till now, only home from Birr!

Both teams missed clear goal chances, but Cora, what a player, can be dirty out at times, but super as well, playing on the very edge. Louise Ni had a super game, All Star contender again, super goal after having an absolute howler of a miss a few mins earlier.

My head is scrambled because of the Cork game, but I spoke to a number of high ranking officials who were seriously impressed with the standard. Score of the game from memory was Cora's point from a free, nearly on the 20 m line five yards in from the sideline, outside of the boot and over. Kerry got lucky with a shot from her crashing off the crossbar, but they showed super resiliance to come back from two down after conceding the goal to win it.

Should be a cracker of a game in the semi final!!

Someone who has time on their hands can find my posts previously about this Kerry team, and how impressed I was with them from last years Munster final - super talent coming through from minor level, and the senior B team from last year!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Got very lucky today. Every decision went their way in the last 10min. But you need that luck if you're to win an All-Ireland I guess. Defense needs to improve in a big way for the next game. Hopefully this game will bring them on now after a long lay off.

I'd disagree with every decision going their way in the last 10 mins, tbh, there were a number of calls that probably should have been given against Cora Staunton that didn't. In the second half, Cora dragged her marker out, and allowed others to play in that space, but for all her greatness, she is one selfish player! She'd try to go through three tackles instead of laying it off

I was sitting with a Kerry born woman, living in Cork and has a daughter on the under 16 panel who were playing later on, and the two Kerry goal chances that they had in the first half, we agreed that it could and probably would come back to haunt them. Sarah Houlihan missed two shocking frees as well, - spoke to the referee afterwards, and he was giving out about the pace of the game, that it was unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JessePinkman

Killian Young's season over with a broken ankle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

[QUOTE=Poor_old_gill;85907716]How much did you put on it?

I think we can win it- I'm just not sure if we will as any of the 4 could pull a big performance out of the bag in the semi finals and blow it wide open.

Mayo look very strong but have shown their full hand against Donegal and although that doesn't mean they are beatable at least people know what they can bring to the table.

Dublin have looked good going forward but and have some formidable options but if Cork had got their match ups right it might have been different- leaving Alan O Connor on MDM allowed him to run the game and surely no team will allow Jack McCafferey to go on so many runs.

Kerry have been progressing steadily and have the players to put in a big performance but I'm personally unsure of how it will go- as discussed on here- the tactics are to blitz a team early and try close out the game. Although I'm less concerned about the strength of the bench than I was at the start of the year- I still question if the players coming in are good enough to close out a game. Like any team- they will need a bit of luck but James O Donoghue coming back in for Donaghy should improve the forward line.

Tyrone are Tyrone- they will try turn every game into a dog fight and if they are successful in doing so then they will win the majority. Cavanagh is having a cracking year and they will thrive in the high pressure business end of the season[/QUOTE]

Just saw this now, I put 30 euro on it, but I had that money in my online Paddy Power account from previous winnings. Quietly confident

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Killian Young's season over with a broken ankle
    Massive loss for the Dublin game

Jonathan Lyne in ahead of him now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

D'Agger wrote: »
    Massive loss for the Dublin game

Jonathan Lyne in ahead of him now?

Hard to see lyne getting game time with him just back from injury,Maguire,Fionn,Brosnan,Griffin,Aidan Mahoney plenty of cover back there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Marc Griffin Fionn
    Tomás Enright Crowley

Is how i'd lineout going Man to Man.

I see Mícheál Quirke and Séan O'Sullivan think Brosnan will start.

• Advertisement

Marc
    Aidan O Mahoney
    Enright

Tómas
    Brosnan
    Crowley

Also wonder should we start Star...I like Darran but he is better on the 40 as is Declan

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I see Mícheál Quirke and Séan O'Sullivan think Brosnan will start.

Don't think Brosnan is good enough, nor have I thought he's been good enough for 2 years or so now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Play Marc centre back. Please, please, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

keane2097 wrote: »

I'm interested...elaborate on your reasoning!

What would be the rest of the back line then?

I'm interested...elaborate on your reasoning!

What would be the rest of the back line then?

Enright - Mahoney/Griffin - Griffin/Fitzgerald

Crowley - Marc - Tomás

For the first time in forever we have enough options in the full back line to consider releasing Marc out the field. He'd be a massive help to us around the middle, in attack and of course marking Kilkenny.

I would friggin love that move,We should of done it from January...Marc would be the playmaker,Tearing forward,Sweeping,In for Breaks..He would dominate that area like Lacey does for Donegal...

Could play a back line of

Enright
    Aidan O M
    Mark Griffin
    Tómas
    Marc
    Crowley

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

If Marc was released to the half back line,who would do the job on Brogan?

If Marc was released to the half back line,who would do the job on Brogan?

Griffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Crowley - Marc - Tomás

For the first time in forever we have enough options in the full back line to consider releasing Marc out the field. He'd be a massive help to us around the middle, in attack and of course marking Kilkenny.

Team will be announced tonight at 9pm on Radio Kerry so stay tuned

What is the real situation with Thomas O' Se, O' Mahoney and O' Donoughe ?

The Kerry's Eye had O' Mahoney defiantly out as of a few weeks back, but i read here that he was fit
    A good few media outlets are also suggesting that Thomas has a back injury and there has been no talk of O' Donoughe.

Team will be announced tonight at 9pm on Radio Kerry so stay tuned

What is the real situation with Thomas O' Se, O' Mahoney and O' Donoughe ?

The Kerry's Eye had O' Mahoney defiantly out as of a few weeks back, but i read here that he was fit
    A good few media outlets are also suggesting that Thomas has a back injury and there has been no talk of O' Donoughe.

They all played that challenge game Killian Young got hurt in.

Training is open tonight so it will be easily seen who is unfit.

• Advertisement

Crowley - Marc - Tomás

Yeah that could work- I look the look of Fitzgerald in the corner and also think that Enright has come on leaps and bounds in the last 18 months.

A half back line of Crowley-Marc and Tomas could be awesome if they hit form.

Would you be putting Marc there specifically to mark Kilkenny or as a natural back with attacking capabilities? (I know the 2 aren't mutually exclusive but just wondering on the specific reasoning).

He has played a good bit at centre forward for his club in the last 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

No way will Marc be NOT on Brogan lads..the only debate will be who starts full back, which may of course depend on who Dublin play full forward.

Yeah that could work- I look the look of Fitzgerald in the corner and also think that Enright has come on leaps and bounds in the last 18 months.

A half back line of Crowley-Marc and Tomas could be awesome if they hit form.

Would you be putting Marc there specifically to mark Kilkenny or as a natural back with attacking capabilities? (I know the 2 aren't mutually exclusive but just wondering on the specific reasoning).

He has played a good bit at centre forward for his club in the last 2 years

It would be because of what he's capable of giving us rather than as a marking job on Kilkenny for sure. As CT says though, no way will it happen.

It would be because of what he's capable of giving us rather than as a marking job on Kilkenny for sure. As CT says though, no way will it happen.

I'd like to see it aswell- I think the forward thrust that a half back line of Crowley and the O Se's could bring would put us very much on the front foot.

It will be interesting to see the match ups but I guess we wont know them until Sunday

Would love to see Marc against Kilkenny but CF is a place where you can play the distributor a lá Cooper or depend on power and pace - something I think Kilkenny has a nice blend of - I think Marc could do well disrupting him but if Kilkenny gets the chance to take on Mark out the field, I'd fear him getting past him too easily - he's a strong boy in fairness.

All in all would be a very interesting battle

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Team named as I imagined (with a few positional differences). Won't matter as we'll go man to man.

Will be interesting to see the Dublin side, so we know who will play where.
    1. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
    2. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    3. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore
    4. Shane Enright Tarbert
    5. Tomás Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    6. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
    7. Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes
    8. Anthony Maher Duagh
    9. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
    10. Paul Galvin Finuge
    11. Colm Cooper Dr Crokes (Capt)
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh/Glencar
    14. Declan O’Sullivan Dromid Pearses
    15. James O’Donoghue Killarney Legion
    Subs:
    16. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    17. Kieran Donaghy Austin Stacks
    18. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
    19. Eoin Brosnan Dr Crokes
    20. Kieran O’Leary Dr Crokes
    21. Jack Sherwood Firies
    22. Bryan Sheehan St Marys
    23. Patrick Curtin Moyvane
    24. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
    25. Michael Geaney Dingle
    26. Paul Geaney Dingle

Just in case anyone missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

The Kerry team looks good but the bench is very weak. Aside from Donaghy and Moran, there's no other player that would strike any fear into the opposition. And what's worse is that Donaghy seems to be out of form and out of favour with Fitzmaurice.

My fear for Kerry is McMenamin coming off the bench, very strong runner and Kerry will tire given the type of game it will be

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

D'Agger wrote: »
    My fear for Kerry is McMenamin coming off the bench, very strong runner and Kerry will tire given the type of game it will be
    McMeniman has got pace to burn and may come on with 20 minutes to go which will test tired legs. What I would be more worried about is aging legs in the starting back line for Kerry. Sunday will tell how tired those legs are

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Archer3083 wrote: »
    What I would be more worried about is aging legs in the starting back line for Kerry.

The only "ageing legs" in the backline are Tomas and Marc though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement