Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

@Buyer95, sorry being pedantic here, but Tadgh started 09, not Donnacha. Remember he clattered Murphy after about 2 seconds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

I've been all over the place regarding how good Kerry are all year. Was in Killarney and came out of there thinking neither Kerry/Cork would do anything. Then I watched Sunday Game and thought maybe I was a bit harsh.
    Was at Cavan match and thought Dublin would eat us alive, now I'm coming around to thinking we might have one last kick in us. Still not sure.

If I'm going with my head, Dublin will score goals against us and should win but I'm holding out hope that we have trained specificially for Sunday and play accordingly. Fingers crossed.

Either way should be a great occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Going to be interesting to see how the younger lads play on Sunday,this could be the making of them a big game in a packed out Croker against the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Going to be interesting to see how the younger lads play on Sunday,this could be the making of them a big game in a packed out Croker against the Dubs.
    True, I think for a couple of years there was dissatisfaction regarding how younger players were being brought through, considering we won an u21 all Ireland.

In fairness to Fitz, he's given players their chance based on merit rather than loyalty - Fionn, Crowley and Enright, without being standout, have been quietly effective. Sunday is a huge test for them but I'm expecting them to come through :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Kerry by five for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That was a super game. Kerry were co close to pulling off a super victory but it wasn't to be.

Kerry dying off in the second half of games has been a recurring theme this year but it was still a great performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

Kerry didn't break even in the central positions in defence and at center field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

The Dublin bench was the difference. Donnaghy, o'mahony and Brosnan added nothing, the dubs were able to bring on the likes of Rock who contributed hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

More disappointed with our antics after the goal went in then with the result.

James O'Donaghue and Declan especially would really want to look at themselves. Not the Kerry way.

Apart from that I'm immensely proud of the lads. Put in a fantastic shift, gave everything and just came up short against a better team.

Cooper was majestic. Donnacha Walsh was brilliant and 35 year Old Tomás Ó Sé ran his heart out for 70 minutes.

I think we'll see a vastly different Kerry team, next year.

Both Ó Sé's, Brosnan, O'Mahoney, Declan and Galvin may hang up the boots. End of an era. Fantastic memories.

May be another few years before we get to the summit again, but I fully believe we can do so with Éamonn at the helm. The losses of Lyne and Young were massive in a game like today, where we needed guys around the half forward and back lines to change the game.

Anyway Ciarraí Abú! Bring on January 2014 for the McGrath cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Declan

O'Sullivan?!

Ah now, c'mon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

mystic86 wrote: »
    O'Sullivan?!

Ah now, c'mon
    In terms of hanging up the boots or in terms of his behaviour?

If its about him hanging up the boots:
    I'm not saying he was poor, or at fault today or anything. He has a lot of football played and has looked like he's not enjoying his football the last 2/3 years.

Maybe that's because he's a winner, and wants to win All Irelands, but I'd suspect he's getting tired. Maybe a Mike McCarthy style year or two off might help.

Maybe i'm wrong, he did a lot right today, but also lost a lot of possession as he tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

xxyyzz wrote: »
    The Dublin bench was the difference. Donnaghy, o'mahony and Brosnan added nothing, the dubs were able to bring on the likes of Rock who contributed hugely.

Don't forget Jack Sherwood. Added -1pt and a yellow card. A baptism of fire for him. Ouch.

Fantastic match though. I don't think we could've done any better. Maybe donaghy at midfield, but that would've meant the forwards would've had to keep playing as they did in the first half. Not physically possible I suspect. We were found wanting in defence, particularly in terms of substitutes. Could badly have done with Cillian Young in there. Was there one blockdown in the whole match?

I can't see more than Aidan O mahony, Galvin, Brosnan retiring with added possibility of Tomás going as well.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    In terms of hanging up the boots or in terms of his behaviour?

If its about him hanging up the boots:
    I'm not saying he was poor, or at fault today or anything. He has a lot of football played and has looked like he's not enjoying his football the last 2/3 years.

Maybe that's because he's a winner, and wants to win All Irelands, but I'd suspect he's getting tired. Maybe a Mike McCarthy style year or two off might help.

Maybe i'm wrong, he did a lot right today, but also lost a lot of possession as he tired.

the guy is not even 30!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Mixed emotions after yesterdays game,gutted we lost but delighted that the players stood up yesterday and put in a great performance,alot of sh1te has been printed about these players and I think yesterday they made the doubters eat their own words.

Of course the bench played a big part,the dubs had all the aces on this front.

Delighted as well for the younger lads that played yesterday,first big game in Croker and they played very well and this game will stand to them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

already posted my comments on the game on the main thread, am proud of how we played yesterday, it just was not to be.

one thing that sadly cost us dearly was the introduction of Jack Sherwood. not sure if i would go as far as saying it was the decision that cost us the game, but its not far off it. it was pretty much like we played with 14 men when he came on.

unfair on the lad to bring him in to a game like that.
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Kerry dying off in the second half of games has been a recurring theme this year but it was still a great performance.

the game was level in the 69th minute, so i am not sure how you can say we died off.

the reality is, our subs were not as good as theirs - that has nothing to do with dying out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Homerjay is right Sherwood was a bad move, although it looked like he was brought on to mark McMenamin specifically. He was on within 60 seconds of KMcM and went straight on him. For the goal he was picking up someone else out near the Cusack stand and you an see him cutting into the picture as McMenamin shoots. The other problem with that goal is that MacAuley definitely fouled David Moran before he tapped the ball to McMenamin, regardless someone should have been picking him up.

Too much ****e talk about retirements also

Can't see Tomas retiring because he is still almost guaranteed his place next year, he knows nothing else other than football. Marc is the same. Both of them are super fit and not as prone to wintering well like Darragh was. Like Dermot Earley said last night it doesn't matter what age you are if you are still good enough and they are.

Can't see Galvin retiring because he needs to stay in the media spotlight somehow to earn a living, at the moment GAA is his only spotlight. I'd say he was a bit pissed off at being taken off after getting two good points in the second half, the performance of Donaghy who replaced him hardly helped his mood either.

Brosnan and Aidan I can see going because they are not regulars any more and have enough of it played, they owe us nothing.

No mention of Bryan Sheehan either, another who still has something to offer and I don't give a **** what a lot of the animals will say but Killian Young was a very big loss yesterday. Crowley was fair enough but he got dragged out of the middle far too often to make holes for Dublin to run through.

In any case Eamon Fitz will have learned a lot more yesterday than he did against Cavan or Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Homerjay is right Sherwood was a bad move, although it looked like he was brought on to mark McMenamin specifically. He was on within 60 seconds of KMcM and went straight on him. For the goal he was picking up someone else out near the Cusack stand and you an see him cutting into the picture as McMenamin shoots. The other problem with that goal is that MacAuley definitely fouled David Moran before he tapped the ball to McMenamin, regardless someone should have been picking him up.

Too much ****e talk about retirements also

Can't see Tomas retiring because he is still almost guaranteed his place next year, he knows nothing else other than football. Marc is the same. Both of them are super fit and not as prone to wintering well like Darragh was. Like Dermot Earley said last night it doesn't matter what age you are if you are still good enough and they are.

Can't see Galvin retiring because he needs to stay in the media spotlight somehow to earn a living, at the moment GAA is his only spotlight. I'd say he was a bit pissed off at being taken off after getting two good points in the second half, the performance of Donaghy who replaced him hardly helped his mood either.

Brosnan and Aidan I can see going because they are not regulars any more and have enough of it played, they owe us nothing.

No mention of Bryan Sheehan either, another who still has something to offer.

But surely it's time for management to bite the bullet and start dropping the O'Ses and Galvin so that younger guys can get into the team and prove themselves and learn.
    That's why I reckoned relegation would not have been that bad for Kerry, young guys could have come in and got good game time and they still would have had enough quality to get promoted straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

But surely it's time for management to bite the bullet and start dropping the O'Ses and Galvin so that younger guys can get into the team and prove themselves and learn.
    That's why I reckoned relegation would not have been that bad for Kerry, young guys could have come in and got good game time and they still would have had enough quality to get promoted straight away

Galvin could probably go at this stage alright, not because he's playing particularly badly but more because we probably need to add pace to the half forward line.

No way would it make sense to get rid of the Ó Sés. Why would you? They're both still brilliant. Tomás runs out of steam in some games, but there are plenty of players the same in that regard.

Kerry have probably removed O'Mahony, Brosnan and Donaghy from the starting line up for good from here on, Galvin there's a good chance will be a sub from now on as well. I don't see the need to get rid of the Marc and Tomas basically for the sake of it.

Young fellas have to earn the jersey, they should not be given it for the sake of it.

There isn't any young fella in Ireland good enough to take the jersey off Tomás .

• Advertisement

the game was level in the 69th minute, so i am not sure how you can say we died off.

eh, that is true alright, but Dublin were very dominant towards the end of the game. Sure weren't Kerry leading by 4 points, and at the 69th minute mark it was back to level again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

yesterdays game will confirm Goochs 8th All Star, one behind Spillane.

will James o Donoghue get one? he should anyway hopefully.

Both should get one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

the reality is, our subs were not as good as theirs - that has nothing to do with dying out.

Well, take a look at how far Kerry were ahead in all their games at ht this year....then see what they won by or in yesterdays case lost ( 7 pts is obviously a distortion). Maybe Kerry are a first half team or they don't have the legs for 70mins ( fade in the 2nd half) - I really don't know.

Yesterday, Dublin had better subs - clearly, but the other days?

will James o Donoghue get one?

no

When Kerry lose semi finals they only usually get 1 All Star. Gooch will be our only one this year (again).

Young fellas have to earn the jersey, they should not be given it for the sake of it.

But how do they earn it without a chance.
    The two O'Sheas stated the majority of the league games in 2013, if they do again next year then there is seriously something wrong.
    This happened before back in the late eighties when older guys stayed on too long.

But how do they earn it without a chance.
    The two O'Sheas stated the majority of the league games in 2013, if they do again next year then there is seriously something wrong.
    This happened before back in the late eighties when older guys stayed on too long.

Why is there something wrong? Explain to me how you think having 6 inexperienced backs is going to be good for Kerry and then get hammered in every game of the league. And don't say relegation would be a good thing, it is never a good thing.

The simple fact is that Spillane and Jacko stayed because there was nobody better at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Having had time to go through the 7 stages of grieving twice-I can finally reflect on the game.

It was as you would expect- I thought in the match thread that we would be leading at the half and even with 15 to go and then lose it due to Dublin's superior bench and its frustrating that as probably the world's worst tipster- I got something right.

Looking back on the match- I think its fair to say that Dublin deserved their victory as they were able to bring 2-2 in scoring quality off the bench and all we did was bring on a clearly off form and probably past it Donaghy.

This was always going to be a year of transition as we were bedding in a lot of young/new players and I feel that most stepped up- Fitzgerald did very well and Crowley has played well all year (please someone teach him to put his foot under the ball though).

Martin McHugh wrote an article during the week mentioning a couple of weaknesses in our team and he seems to have got it on the money- Kealy is and excellent shot stopper but his kick-outs on Sunday were very poor and his fear of coming for high balls really hinders us.
    Enright had a very poor first half and I would have hooked him after 20 minutes- he improved in the second half but I just don't think this is his level.

Buckley was surprisingly out of sorts and our lack of a plan to counter Dublin's well known athleticism in midfield seem extremely naïve- Buckley and Maher are very good midfielders but I do worry about their ability to last more than 50 minutes in a game. Hopefully Moran can stay fully fit and get a run of games at club level because anyone who saw this guy when he was 19 and KOR got to the championship final will know he has immense talent-I'm not being even mildly dramatic here but after seeing him play then (as a neutral)- I really thought he would be dominant midfielder in the country for the next decade.

The decision to introduce Sherwood was a strange one but also shows the lack of options on the bench but by all accounts he has potential and hopefully he will some game time in the league.

Drop the O Sé brothers?? Do people who come out with these suggestions watch the games?

Gooch was immense, phenomenal, superb.

Out of the forwards- I thought Galvin did alright in patches and although his game has declined- I think people are being too hasty in wanting him gone. James O D was excellent and really stepped upto the plate, Declan was disappointing on Sunday and missed two relatively easy chances that had a big impact on the game in terms of timing. Darren didn't seem to get into it at all and seemed to be a decoy runner a lot for others which may have been the role he was asked to play.

After all that comment/waffle- I want to give a special mention to Donnacha Walsh (the much maligned) who was superb again on Sunday and has been throughout the year. People are talking about Gooch and James O D as possible All Stars- Donnacha has been our best player this year in nearly every game and should get an All Star in my opinion.

Looking forward- anyone have any suggestions of players to come into the panel for next year?

• Advertisement

The decision to introduce Sherwood was a strange one but also shows the lack of options on the bench but by all accounts he has potential and hopefully he will some game time in the league.

Drop the O Sé brothers?? Do people who come out with these suggestions watch the games?

Yes drop the O'Se brothers for league games, what harm would it do ?

How do you expect the likes of Sherwood and other young guys get game time if you have two veterans who are always first on any team sheet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement