Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

How do you expect the likes of Sherwood and other young guys get game time if you have two veterans who are always first on any team sheet.

we introduced 6 or 7 young lads this season, what more do you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Yes drop the O'Se brothers for league games, what harm would it do ?

How do you expect the likes of Sherwood and other young guys get game time if you have two veterans who are always first on any team sheet.

More young players do need to come into the panel but they will benefit from being in the same team as experienced players- there will probably be the odd league game where only one O Sé will play and I'd be ok with that but they will both be championship starters and as the league progresses- we will need to start getting our strongest team on the pitch.

I am wondering who these new defensive players will be though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Agree with Gill that Donnacha Walsh has been superb this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Slight adjustments are probably needed, whether we have the players or not to do it is another question. Lyne and Killian Young will probably be the answer to two problems, but I also agree that we need to find a major athlete for midfield. We have several good classic fielders in Maher, Moran, Buckley and Sheehan but the game is in danger of passing us by without a more dynamic presence like McAuley in there.

Either that or a half forward who can get up and down the pitch like Walsh but be a lot more physical than him.

I can't think of too many floating around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭GBXI

yesterdays game will confirm Goochs 8th All Star, one behind Spillane.

will James o Donoghue get one? he should anyway hopefully.

Has the Gooch ever won player of the year?

I think it will be incredible that the best player of his generation and arguable the best of all time won't have won a FOTY award. Just goes to show that in Kerry's AI winning years they had some incredible performers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

GBXI wrote: »
    Has the Gooch ever won player of the year?

I think it will be incredible that the best player of his generation and arguable the best of all time won't have won a FOTY award. Just goes to show that in Kerry's AI winning years they had some incredible performers.

He won it in 2004

ciaeim wrote: »
    He won it in 2004

Right, forget that last post so!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,156 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Being from Cork I guess its little harder for me to say this, but Colm Cooper is the greatest player I have ever seen play Gaelic Football.

He is a joy to watch. If Cork had him we have one 2 more AI in the last 5-6 years.

Does the easy things so well and just incredible player to watch. His foot passing is super and also I say if you were to put him full back for Kerry he would also do great job.

Just a one in lifetime player.

Hope he retires soon.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Being from Cork I guess its little harder for me to say this, but Colm Cooper is the greatest player I have ever seen play Gaelic Football.

He is a joy to watch. If Cork had him we have one 2 more AI in the last 5-6 years.

Does the easy things so well and just incredible player to watch. His foot passing is super and also I say if you were to put him full back for Kerry he would also do great job.

Thank you that is the nicest thing a corkonian could say to a fellow kerry person!! Thank you my Cork friend!

Must been hard to say that!! He be awhile before he retire no one better or like him he is unique!

Yours sincerely
    Kerry person! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

He's the best I have seen aswell and gives great hope that you don't need to be a muscle bound Gym junkie to play football at the top level, he is all about speed of thought and feel, he's brain just seems to operate on a different level and he's vision is second to none, but vision wiothout the abilty to execute is a waste but Colm has that in spades.

A legend of the game and tbh every time he takes the field he makes Brolly look like a bigger and more bitter fool than before , granted Joe does this himself everytime he opens he's mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

keane2097 wrote: »
    Agree with Gill that Donnacha Walsh has been superb this year.

As someone who has been critical of him here and elsewhere, I have to say he was superb on Sunday and for the whole of the c/ship. His finish for the goal was absolute class..gave Cluxton the eyes to one corner and slipped it in at the near post.

Can't talk about the entire game yet, too raw. Watched it back last night and it only made the mood worse. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

He's the best I have seen aswell and gives great hope that you don't need to be a muscle bound Gym junkie to play football at the top level, he is all about speed of thought and feel, he's brain just seems to operate on a different level and he's vision is second to none, but vision wiothout the abilty to execute is a waste but Colm has that in spades.

A legend of the game and tbh every time he takes the field he makes Brolly look like a bigger and more bitter fool than before , granted Joe does this himself everytime he opens he's mouth.
    Colm Cooper is a fantastic player but I'm not sure I agree that Cork would have won 2 more All-Irelands with Cooper.

At the start of the summer Bernard Flynn made the point that Kerry were just as much under achievers as Cork. When you look at Kerry's record since 07 they have won one All-Ireland in 09. O8, 10, 11, 12 and 13 have been very disappointing years for such a talented team. I thought he point was very interesting.

I agree that you don't need to be a huge man in the gaa to be good. Conor Laverty, Mark McHugh and Kevin McLoughlin are other examples of fantastic players that aren't very physically imposing

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

ciaeim wrote: »
    He won it in 2004

He didn't. Tomas O'se did.

He didn't. Tomas O'se did.

Well, the GAA.ie website says it was Gooch who won it, though there is an article on wikipedia that says it was O'Se. Wikipedia tends to be full of sh1t when it comes to GAA though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

GBXI wrote: »
    Well, the GAA.ie website says it was Gooch who won it, though there is an article on wikipedia that says it was O'Se. Wikipedia tends to be full of sh1t when it comes to GAA though.

There are/were a couple of different Player of the Year awards. The GAA All Stars have one, the GPA awards (now gone) had one and the Texaco Award is another one. That is where the confusion comes from I think.

i dont thing Gooch has ever won official player of the year. im pretty sure it was Tomas in 04, then Star in 06, Marc in 07 and Galvin in 09.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

i dont thing Gooch has ever won official player of the year. im pretty sure it was Tomas in 04, then Star in 06, Marc in 07 and Galvin in 09.

If there was player of the decade he would have to win it. As much as it killed me it was great to see him in action on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Rewatching the match now. Kevin mcmenemin just coming on. 64 minutes. I'm stopping it here. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Can someone tell me where Donaghy's nickname 'Star' comes from?

If there was player of the decade he would have to win it. As much as it killed me it was great to see him in action on Sunday.
    Gooch has never won player of the year. It's about the only award that he has never won. He has also failed to win an All-Ireland while captaining the Kerry team. He missed out on doing that in 2011. To be fair to Gooch, he could have been captain again this year because Crokes are county champions but he left it to Eoin Brosnan which is really sound!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Gooch has never won player of the year. It's about the only award that he has never won. He has also failed to win an All-Ireland while captaining the Kerry team. He missed out on doing that in 2011. To be fair to Gooch, he could have been captain again this year because Crokes are county champions but he left it to Eoin Brosnan which is really sound!

Well he was the captain this year, or at least in some games anyway, he was captain against Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

what about 97 and 00? has darragh o se ever won it?

mystic86 wrote: »
    Well he was the captain this year, or at least in some games anyway, he was captain against Dublin...
    Kerry is one of the few counties left that pick their captain based on the county champions. This has gone out of fashion in other counties. Gooch was captain of Kerry during the Munster final against Cork too because Brosnan was injured. However, Brosnan came on with 10 minutes to go and accepted the Munster trophy and gave the speech afterwards. But the official captain was Brosnan. I think Mayo have a strange situation this year as well. I think Andy Moran is the official captain but because of injury other players took it over. I'm open to correction here though?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Can someone tell me where Donaghy's nickname 'Star' comes from?

Think it he might have picked that name up from his basketball days.

what about 97 and 00? has darragh o se ever won it?

nope. 97 was fitz and 00 was seamus. darragh would have won it in 02, but we lost to Armagh by a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

yesterdays game will confirm Goochs 8th All Star, one behind Spillane.

will James o Donoghue get one? he should anyway hopefully.

The Kerryman was suggesting yesterday that Donnacha Walsh would get one, if I recall the term used was 'nailed on'

Not sure if Kerry would get three however.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Kerry is one of the few counties left that pick their captain based on the county champions. This has gone out of fashion in other counties. Gooch was captain of Kerry during the Munster final against Cork too because Brosnan was injured. However, Brosnan came on with 10 minutes to go and accepted the Munster trophy and gave the speech afterwards. But the official captain was Brosnan. I think Mayo have a strange situation this year as well. I think Andy Moran is the official captain but because of injury other players took it over. I'm open to correction here though?

Match day captain and team captain are two entirely different things, Gooch was match day captain because Brosnan wasn't on the starting 15, same thing happened with Tipp a few years back with Paul Ormonde and Eoin Kelly, Tipp have since changed the policy of awarding the county champions captaincy, its very much an outdated tradition tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Think it he might have picked that name up from his basketball days.

Yes when he was young he had a basketball top of the Orlando Magic I think with a big star on the back which he was always wearing hence "Star"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

JFlah wrote: »
    Yes when he was young he had a basketball top of the Orlando Magic I think with a big star on the back which he was always wearing hence "Star"

Twas an Orlando Magic jacket. Not a top. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Twas an Orlando Magic jacket. Not a top. ;)
    Jacket .... my bad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement