Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Ok, I know we're in shock, but we've got to make changes... now!

Brosnan OUT
    Reidy OUT
    Gooch - Wakeup needed, possible drop him for the next game.
    Diarmuid Murphy - OUT (His kickouts never changed, despite the stats of how many we lost)
    Galvin OUT - Sick of him. Support him all the time but this takes the biscuit!

We need new blood in. A bit of passion. Darren has to start.

The talent isn't there. We tried out a lot of players in the league and none of them really stood out. We have 1 good defender, 1 midfielder with potential and a forward line that can only feed off good high ball. I have a feeling that Sam won't be coming home for 5-6 years at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

eoinbn wrote: »
    The talent isn't there. We tried out a lot of players in the league and none of them really stood out. We have 1 good defender, 1 midfielder with potential and a forward line that can only feed off good high ball. I have a feeling that Sam won't be coming home for 5-6 years at the very least.
    Compleatly disagree. The talen is definitly there... the passion is whats missing.

AS for 1 good defender, I count 4: Marc, Tomás, Aiden and Killian.
    1 Good Midfielder: Darragh, Scanlon, Moran, Kennelly...

Forwards, yeah I agree. But we showed for 10 minutes that we can play without the high ball. And we destroyed Cork in those 10 minutes.

Something like this team wouldn't be bad:

1. Reidy
    2. Marc
    3. Aiden O'Shea (or Bohane)
    4. Tom Sull
    5. Tomás
    6. AOM
    7. Young
    8. Moran
    9. Scanlon (if fit)
    10. An Other - Not Galvin, Declan Gooch etc.
    11. Kennelly
    12. Darren O'S
    13. D Walsh
    14. TW
    15. BJW

Play Donnacha Walsh in the position he played for Mid Kerry, Out around midfield as a sweeper, and the Walsh Bro's inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I would be wary of fixating too much on those 'ten minutes' at the start of the second half when things went right. It ended quick enough, when Cork got their second breath, and in every game a dominated team is going to have burst of its own dominance.

Orizio wrote: »
    I would be wary of fixating too much on those 'ten minutes' at the start of the second half when things went right. It ended quick enough, when Cork got their second breath, and in every game a dominated team is going to have burst of its own dominance.
    I disagree with you there. We're better off focusing on what we did right in those ten minutes, because its the only time we had ye on the back foot. Keep that up for 50-60 minutes and we'd hammer anyone.
    Its easy to say Cork we're catching their breath, but realisticly, if Reidy had been taken off, the Penealty might well have never happened, and we coudl be talking v.differently today.
    I for one think this might be a positive. Its better to loose heavily and make widespread changes. Then to win marginally, not change anything, and then get caught in the vital matches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

Does Kennelly deserve his place on the team? He seems to me that he got a place on the team due to media hype - or maybe he is good. Looking from outside in hes a hindrance. Kerry need to go back to playing football - not copying Tyrone or other teams tactics.

• Advertisement

Simply Yes. He was one of our better performers over the two games. Strong, Fast-ish, not afraid of it, and two magnificent points. Deserves his place over the Gooch anyway.

I disagree with you there. We're better off focusing on what we did right in those ten minutes, because its the only time we had ye on the back foot. Keep that up for 50-60 minutes and we'd hammer anyone.
    Its easy to say Cork we're catching their breath, but realisticly, if Reidy had been taken off, the Penealty might well have never happened, and we coudl be talking v.differently today.
    I for one think this might be a positive. Its better to loose heavily and make widespread changes. Then to win marginally, not change anything, and then get caught in the vital matches!

I doubt it frankly. There was always going to be a Cork comeback once Kerry had their own one, also it may simply have been a goal if Reidy hadn't fouled. One can come up with all sorts of ifs for Cork as well, if Goulding hadn't missed his two easy goal chances etc.

What Kerry should focus on overwhelingly when playing Cork is winning parity in midfield and kick-outs. The only time they did this was straight after HT, when Moran caused all sorts of trouble for Alan O'Connor.

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    Does Kennelly deserve his place on the team? He seems to me that he got a place on the team due to media hype - or maybe he is good. Looking from outside in hes a hindrance. Kerry need to go back to playing football - not copying Tyrone or other teams tactics.

He played well in both games imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I have to say that Kerry need to get rid of three players.They are Diarmuid Murphy,Scanlon and Paul Galvin.

Murphy - Was found out last year when cracks were appearing in the Kerry defense.Was shown up as a bad keeper.Pretty much jumped out of the way for the goal last week.Kickouts are always the same too.Just get a run at it and boot it and hope that midfield claim it.

Scanlon - No progress really made when he does win the ball.Simple lay offs are his hope,doesn't inspire confidence in himself and absolutely dreadful when he does go forward.Have always thought this even before yesterday.

Paul Galvin - Simply a liability since 2008.His tendency to get sent off means that Kerry lose their shape when he goes.O Connor should have done what Pat O Shea never did and discipline this player.He'll serve a suspension but will he actually learn from it?I don't think so.Needs to be left out of the starting 15 even after the suspension so he'll learn he can't just walk back in.

As for Gooch,he is too used to having a target man beside him which has affected his game.Without Donaghy and Walsh,it would be easier to mark him out of the game.

Kerry need a plan B!!!

blackbelt wrote: »
    I have to say that Kerry need to get rid of three players.They are Diarmuid Murphy,Scanlon and Paul Galvin.

Murphy - Was found out last year when cracks were appearing in the Kerry defense.Was shown up as a bad keeper.Pretty much jumped out of the way for the goal last week.Kickouts are always the same too.Just get a run at it and boot it and hope that midfield claim it.

Scanlon - No progress really made when he does win the ball.Simple lay offs are his hope,doesn't inspire confidence in himself and absolutely dreadful when he does go forward.Have always thought this even before yesterday.

Paul Galvin - Simply a liability since 2008.His tendency to get sent off means that Kerry lose their shape when he goes.O Connor should have done what Pat O Shea never did and discipline this player.He'll serve a suspension but will he actually learn from it?I don't think so.Needs to be left out of the starting 15 even after the suspension so he'll learn he can't just walk back in.

As for Gooch,he is too used to having a target man beside him which has affected his game.Without Donaghy and Walsh,it would be easier to mark him out of the game.

Kerry need a plan B!!!

Jeez ye Dubs are tough. Scanlon (who was Kerry's best performer in the League) didn't even play yesterday! Yet he's the one you pick on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

what do ye think is the average age of the kerry starting 15 on saturday??

26.5??

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

Can't understand people saying Galvin should go! I wish there was more like him, not for his temperment (which i agree makes him a bit risky to use) but for his work-rate and obvious passion to try and win. He was one of kerry's best players in the first match against cork imo.

Also Kennelly def deserves his place. Played very well in both games.

I think the reason we lost the all-ireland last year is the team as a whole doesn't seemed to be fired-up to win the way Tyrone were. I thought that with Jack coming back he would fix this. Hopefully he can sort it out along the qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,369 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have only one thing to say as regards this present Kerry team. There seems to be an air of complacency about. Its like they think that they can just do enough to win games and I think they all need a proverbial kick up the backside. The talent is certainly there.

I'd agree that Galvin needs to be dropped altogether, thats the kind of thing that might sort the rest of them out and leave him there until he begs to come back and understands that the can't be acting like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kingdolly

Kerrys biggest problem is they have yet to decide on a team, throughout the whole league they kept chopping and changing. Cork do not have the better players they just have a better team at the moment, Kerry have an embarrasment of riches in terms of talent, Jack just needs to pick his best 15 and get on with it.
    i think darrage o shea needs to accept the fact he will only be a bit part player for the championship and stand aside let moran in and also why bryan sheehan and not Mike frank russell????? surely he deserves a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

Dara O'Shea looked out of condition on that pitch yesterday, the man must be a stone and half overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Jeez ye Dubs are tough. Scanlon (who was Kerry's best performer in the League) didn't even play yesterday! Yet he's the one you pick on!

We were on the subject of players who should be dropped from the panel and I believe Scanlon is one of them.He wasn't playing yesterday but it makes no difference.Anytime I have seen him,he has been dreadful.David Moran or Tommy Griffin look primed to be starters ahead of him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

blackbelt wrote: »
    We were on the subject of players who should be dropped from the panel and I believe Scanlon is one of them.He wasn't playing yesterday but it makes no difference.Anytime I have seen him,he has been dreadful.David Moran or Tommy Griffin look primed to be starters ahead of him now.

I totally disagree. For years I wouldnt have been the biggest fan of Scanlon, but the recent matches highlight his importance. He might not be a flash player popping up with scores, but his fitness is invaluable. He is the man covering back all the time, picking up the spare runners coming up the field, and doing all the donkey work that gets no praise. With cork running through us for fun, we needed the likes of Scanlon to help stop this.
    I would love to see a lot of experimentation in the back door qualifiers. David Moran and Scanlon in midfield, tommy griffan at full back, give Bohane and aiden O'shea the championship starts they deserve. Anthony Maher also. There is no point talking about a great panel if we dont us it properly.
    Jack O' Connor should play with the full squad in the back door. Create competition for places. Aiden O' Mahony and Paul Galvin need to know that they are droppable. Maybe even drop (rest?) the Gooch for a match. Give Paul O' Connor a chance, Keiran O' Leary and BJ Walsh. This is all aimed at passing through the qualifiers safely of course, but no point struggling through the qualifiers with the same team, we will get hammered in the 1/4 finals by a fresher team.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Question: Will Galvin's suspension be automatically doubled since its his second sending off in 12 months? Or does that rule still apply?

Whatever people think personally of him, will he be a big loss to Kerry or do people think his indiscipline makes him too much of a liability, and this outweighs the obvious benefits of playing him?? Bear in mind he has 3 AI medals in his back pocket, and for at least 2 of them he was an important cog in the team...

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

I'd agree with Beached there to be honest.
    Scanlon is awful at kicking the ball anything over 30 yds. However he makes up for that in spades in his physicality, his tackling, his running and his support play to the half backs and half forwards. A kind of Gaelic Mascherano if you will. Sure his Kerry career started somewhat shambolicly, but he adds for more than Michael Quirke does.

I'd agree also that its time to see what this "squad" can do. I'd think that the draw for the qualifiers (when does the rd1 draw take place?) will dictate the type of team the management would put out. A home draw against Longford or Carlow would be lovely, all due respect to them counties, but it would give the management scope to try out a few of the alternatives in the squad without the probability of risking elimination as you would if you were to do the same against Mons in Clones or Down in Newry.

Certainly, and its not a throwaway comment as these guys have delighted us for quite a while now, but we all know what Dara, Brossie, Gooch and Aidan bring to us on the good days. As for Galvin being suspended, its lessened slightly insofar as what we've lost there, we've broke even with Kennelly.

Darren Sull has to start, regardless of the captaincy nonsense. The lad is too good at creating chaos when running with ball, and putting counterattacking backs under pressure as he harries for 40/50/60 yds without strain.
    Sean Sull is another who could do with a shot.
    I'm afraid I don't know enough about our defensive options bar what I've read on the Kerry forum, and the local media and the bits I've witnessed myself.
    Leaving aside positions for the moment, the best of the backs, imo, fall like this,
    Marc OSé, Killian Young, Tommy Griffin, Tomas OSé, Tom Sullivan, Aidan O'Mahony.
    The young guns would appear to be Aidan O'Shea and all reports have been good, while Bohane looks a prospect, but the only live action I've seen of him was against Galway where he impressed for the brief period.

I would line out like this

AN other , ANOther, Tom Sullivan
    Marc OSé, Another, Killian Young

The problem is Tommy is arguably good enough to play in either of the three spine positions. Tomas has been exposed defensively against Cork, and if there is a good enough corner back out there (Aidan O'Shea?) then I'd have no qualms releasing Marc to the wing. Similarily if Bohane is capable enough, then I'd be happy to see Tommy and Aidan tussling for the #6 shirt.

I wouldn't have any hesitation in dropping anybody, the jerseys to big for that not to be the case. Reidy was a disaster the last day. Tom Sull must be kept to the corner, while Mahoney has gone from the best centre back in the country to someone not quite focussed. I think the interchanging of positions isn't helping matters, and when a back goes off, the change usually involves a couple of positional switches rather than a like for like.

Midfield
    I think the time had come for the bucks to be let off the leash. Keep Dara in reserve. Give Moran the shot of confidence that could work wonders for him. Also he's an asset in the ground ball as shown once last week no bother to him, which releases the issue of including a free taker in the forwards if performance doesn't merit inclusion (ala Sheehan on occasion).
    I'd be happy with any pairing of Moran, Kennelly, Scanlon, Griffin and Anthony Maher who has impressed of what i've seen of him.

Forwards
    I think this is the most straightforward of the lot. We seem to include two scrubbers, two giants and two nippers no matter the opposition.

Declan is our most important player. He makes the team tick. I thought he was decent the last day, but the movement wasn't there when he got the ball.
    Tommy Walsh and Donaghy are certain starters when fit, but with Star out give the BJW a run out.
    As I've said already what we lose in Paul we gain with Tadgh, while Darren must start.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this the next day (opposition pending)

Murphy
    Aidan O'Shea ; AN Other (Bohane?) ; Tom Sullivan

Marc O'Sé ; AN Other (Griffin?) ; Killian Young

David Moran - AN Other (Scanlon/Maher)

Sean O'Sullivan ; Declan O'Sullivan ; Tadgh Kennelly

Tommy Walsh ; Darren O'Sullivan (not FF, but in a withdrawn role) ; BJ Walsh

Zzippy wrote: »
    Question: Will Galvin's suspension be automatically doubled since its his second sending off in 12 months? Or does that rule still apply?

Whatever people think personally of him, will he be a big loss to Kerry or do people think his indiscipline makes him too much of a liability, and this outweighs the obvious benefits of playing him?? Bear in mind he has 3 AI medals in his back pocket, and for at least 2 of them he was an important cog in the team...
    Never thought about that!

363 days... thats unlucky... or stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

Kingdom wrote: »
    Murphy

I like ur team. But I would run with Gooch instead of BJ Walsh in the corner provided that he changes his game plan from standing behind his marker with his hand in the air to running into space giving the man on the ball a realistic option.

It was terrible last saturday to be standing on the city terrace watching the gooch been taken to the cleaners by Lynch. A lot of people criticised the ball he was getting but how is a half back/midfielder expected to hit a 60 yard ball in over the corner backs head in to a cf who is 15 yards from the end line?? it's a one in 5 ball which is just not an option in an inter county game where retaining possession is vital.

I dont know what to make of Darren. He comes off the bench and looks like a potential all star with his mazey runs yet when he starts he looks lost and struggles to get a firm foothold on the game. But i think ur right starting him in the ff line.

I'm also disappointed this year with Murphy last year wasn't his finest and this year hasn't started great either for him. I think ger reidy is worth a run out in the first qualifier regardless of who we are playing.

Bohane and griffin at full back and centre back are good calls; Marc at 5 and Sean Ban at 10 are great calls. I'd put scanlon in with Moran in midfield with Dara coming on with 15 mins left.

i dont think this kerry team is finished, but it needs fresh faces and some postional changes if we're to make it into August nevermind September.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Never thought about that!

363 days... thats unlucky... or stupid.

Have since read in the paper thats its 48 weeks, not a year, so whatever suspension he gets won't be doubled. Good news for Kerry fans, or would ye rather not have him in your team? As an earlier poster said, Kennelly provides a similar option there now with his workrate and ball winning ability...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭helpisontheway

Kingdom wrote: »

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this the next day (opposition pending)

Murphy

This would be my team for the next game apposition pending also-
    1.Ger Reidy[Murphys kick outs are just too predictable]
    2.Killian Young[Pacey defender]
    3.Tommy Griffin[Has the size and defensive qualitys]
    4.Tom O Sullivan[Dependable defender]
    5.Marc O Shea[Can move defense into attack quickly]
    6.Aidan O Shea[O Mahoney or Griffin havent worked so give him a shot]
    7.Daniel Bohane[Adds extra height and strength]
    8.Tomas O Shea[He can Field/defend/run and attack]
    9.David Moran[Could be the 2009 Tommy Walsh,2006? Kieran Donaghy]
    10.Darren O Sullivan[All defenders hate being run at like he does]
    11.Tadgh Kennelly[Kerrys best playr so far but would add more at centre]
    12.Declan O Sullivan[He will do the same thing at either wing or centre]
    13.Barry John Walsh[Surely will work well with his brother]
    14.Tommy Walsh[Target Man]
    15.Colm Cooper[Hopefully will never play as bad again]

that looks pretty good to me but...killian young at corner back?? that is so wrong! They guy is not a corner back. Half back line or nowhere. I say nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Good constructive comments in the main since our disappointment last Saturday.

I was watching O'Mahony closely during the 2nd half on Saturday -he was holding his left arm every time there was a break in play - definitely injured and was not able to give 100%. Yes he should have come off but it's not like him. Also he was taken to the cleaners by Pearse O'Neil. For Cork kick-outs they adopted a strategy fo pulling the midfielders wide and bombing the kick-outs down the middle, where O'Neil was able to field the ball over O'Mahoney's head.

Kennelly for a man who is only playing his 2nd championship match was the pick of the Kerry players for me. Don't forget Canty was marking him - who I rate very highly.

Cork got the tactics bang on on Saturday. They have strong athletic players down the spine of the team and they ran straight down the middle at us. Let's learn from this. Kerry needs to start with a backbone. I nominate Kennelly because of his size and because in the AFL he played in a somewhat similar role - it shouldn't be much of a change.

Up front we need a target man. Tommy Walsh should not have played on Saturday - he was injured. What I don't understand is why wasn't Quirke given a chance. His basketball skills in theory should compliment Gooch. Shields was in trouble every time Walsh got the ball and was on a yellow card, so I'd of thrown on Quirke when Tommy came off.

I presume we will be playing 3 weeks in a row if we keep winning before the quarter-final. Tell me I'm wrong because this can't be right???
    • 4th July - GAA Football All-Ireland Championship Qualifier Round 1 - Kerry won't be playing in this
    • 11th July - GAA Football All-Ireland Championship Qualifier Round 2 - Kerry playing
    • 18th July - GAA Football All-Ireland Championship Qualifier Round 3
    • 25th July - GAA Football All-Ireland Championship Qualifier Round 4
    • 2nd August - GAA Football All-Ireland Championship Quarter Finals

yes, thats right and so including the quarter final thats 4 games in 4 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Its going to be a road to croker this year but we have the panel to do it..............

Sickened, Im only away for 8 days and im missing 3 Kerry Games!!! Im arriving back on the 18th, hopefully to another storming Kerry victory!

Its not ofter we'll get the chance to play the likes of Carlow and Fermanagh, so lets blood these young lads, give them a good taste of Championship football, and if it doesn't work out and we lose, how bad! We're not going to make any progress with the team we are playing now.

Ciarraí Abú!

Mike McCarthy is rejoining the panel. Source - radio kerry and the kerryman. Great news. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

mystic86 wrote: »
    Mike McCarthy is rejoining the panel. Source - radio kerry and the kerryman. Great news. :)

good stuff if it happens ... we are lacking a solid full-back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement