Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    No post in here for over a month .....then this nugget of info

and 30 odd posts in a day...:pac:

Delighted to see so many of the elder statesmen call it a day. Couple of Kerry lads gone from last year and I'm sure another few will call it a day before the new year.
    Cork will be a different animal for Kerry and others to contend with next year. A lot of different players and more importantly a fresh approach. Donna O'Connor among others should benefit hugely from fast ball - presuming he stays around, I'm sure he will.

I was hoping the Kerry U21 setup wouldn't change as it was a bit of a joke, it will undoubtedly be a far superior setup now.
    Bring on the new year !!

Strange that it took a semi-trolling post to get debate going alright! Nothing but positive stuff about Kerry on PROC and Rebelgaa shur!

Kerry underage setups were largely a joke but have thankfully got their act together..last year Kerry development squads won u-14/15 and 16 tournaments in Munster and were very impressive. Minors put up a creditable performance and U-21's were a massive improvement from a couple of years back, still a bit of work to do though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Strange that it took a semi-trolling post to get debate going alright! Nothing but positive stuff about Kerry on PROC and Rebelgaa shur!
    Ah twas'nt a trolling or even a semi-trolling post. Just a remark to get some off-season debate going!

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Ah twas'nt a trolling or even a semi-trolling post. Just a remark to get some off-season debate going!

Yerra I'm only hopping ball a bit..as were you I'm sure!

In fairness, Sheehan's departure for one, is huge news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

This dog clearly didn't tell Conor Counihan, Brian Cuthbert etc about the injury, as they kept starting him and put him marking opponents such as Declan O'Sullivan and Bernard Brogan! What injury does he have/had seeing as how you are so knowledgeable on the matter?

Wouldn't be so quick to throw around the jibes about what goes on in the Gaelic Football world either when just a few days ago you thought Paudie Kissane was living in the UK..;)
    Yes ,and i read it as below,in the extract from the examiner.So ,i'm sure the wider gaa community believed what i did.

In relation to jibes, with the greatest respect as a fellow poster,your one to talk,with your remark about my original post,snide enough in fairness,when all i did was explaining answer to a post ,and you were fast enough to say get out of here and go to the Cork thread.

And in relation to counihan ,what he does ,he has proven is far from gospel.Seen as you don't particulary rate my knowledge,i suggest google in relation to the answer to the question you asked,or go to the cork thread where i mentioned hes injury many times.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013
    Cork’s 2010 All Star half-back Paudie Kissane has retired from inter-county football.

GAA Correspondent
    The 33-year-old, who won an intermediate county title with Clyda Rovers earlier this month, only made his Championship debut at the age of 28, having appeared briefly on the senior county panel in 2002 and 2003.

But in just six seasons, he packed in an impressive haul, claiming an All-Ireland title, three Munster crowns, three Division 1 titles as well as a Division 2 win.

“My dream, since I was a young fella, was to play with Cork and I feel extremely lucky and privileged to have been given that opportunity.

“As a player, naturally you always remember some of your disappoint-ments and wish you won more, but I can’t complain, considering what’s been achieved since 2008.”

Kissane will now concentrate on developing his athlete development and coaching business. He is currently undertaking a masters degree in strength and conditioning in St Mary’s, London.

His decision to hang up his boots follows his fellow half-back Noel O’Leary’s earlier this month.

He never considered himself a martyr for devoting so much of his life to an amateur cause.

“I don’t think it’s getting too demanding. Okay, you can’t go here and you can’t go there, you’re watching your nutrition and your hydration, the video analysis. You’re missing out on weddings and stags but it’s worth it.

“People say to me ‘Jesus, you make great sacrifices’. But I never saw it as sacrifices.

“I did it because I genuinely wanted to do it. If I wanted to go pinting every weekend I would have done that. I was happy to do it.

“When the ball was thrown in at Páirc Uí Chaoimh or Fitzgerald Stadium, the pitch was where you wanted to be.”

Kissane paid particular tribute to Conor Counihan who invited him back into the panel six years ago.

“I am very grateful to Conor for giving me another chance in 2008 to represent my county at the highest level. I would like to thank my family and all those close to me for their ongoing support and encouragement over the years and also my own club Clyda Rovers. I wish every success to Brian Cuthbert and his new management team for 2014

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Kerry underage setups were largely a joke but have thankfully got their act together..last year Kerry development squads won u-14/15 and 16 tournaments in Munster and were very impressive. Minors put up a creditable performance and U-21's were a massive improvement from a couple of years back, still a bit of work to do though.

Really wouldn't know - as I stopped reading sites like that when I grew up;)

• Advertisement

Munster minor and u21 hurling and football and mcgrath cup draws tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

keane2097 wrote: »

Looney is an interesting case. Looks superb at times but worry that at club level by the time teams have their defences set up to play Crokes the guy who ends up taking Looney is a long way from Intercounty standard.

Even against us he destroyed Giles O'Grady but I think Andrew Thompson kept him reasonably quiet when he switched over.

I stayed around after the Crokes Haven game. And was chatting with a few crokes supporters and their rational about looney was that usually opposing teams have 2 good or very good backs. They usually pick up gooch and casey. And that leaves your standard club player defender to take looney, and he has the class at that level to beat them all day.
    Then when he steps up to inter county, the six backs are of a good standard and are at the same if not beter standard and he looks very ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Are there any players that Fitzmaurice should be including from other teams? I watched the county final between Crokes and Austin Stacks, and none of the Stacks players stood out! It's been a poor championship this year and really was a one horse race.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I stayed around after the Crokes Haven game. And was chatting with a few crokes supporters and their rational about looney was that usually opposing teams have 2 good or very good backs. They usually pick up gooch and casey. And that leaves your standard club player defender to take looney, and he has the class at that level to beat them all day.
    Then when he steps up to inter county, the six backs are of a good standard and are at the same if not beter standard and he looks very ordinary.

I suppose the question is if he wants it himself,he is no doubt a class player but some lads are just good club players and never seem to make it at inter county level.

He wouldnt be the first Crokes player for this to happen to,Pat O Shea was probably one of the best forwards in the county but never made it with Kerry,same could be said of Declan Quille who spent a good few years sitting on the bench would show well during the league but when Championship came he used be put back on the bench.

Yes ,and i read it as below,in the extract from the examiner.So ,i'm sure the wider gaa community believed what i did.

In relation to jibes, with the greatest respect as a fellow poster,your one to talk,with your remark about my original post,snide enough in fairness,when all i did was explaining answer to a post ,and you were fast enough to say get out of here and go to the Cork thread.

And in relation to counihan ,what he does ,he has proven is far from gospel.Seen as you don't particulary rate my knowledge,i suggest google in relation to the answer to the question you asked,or go to the cork thread where i mentioned hes injury many times.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013
    Cork’s 2010 All Star half-back Paudie Kissane has retired from inter-county football.

GAA Correspondent
    The 33-year-old, who won an intermediate county title with Clyda Rovers earlier this month, only made his Championship debut at the age of 28, having appeared briefly on the senior county panel in 2002 and 2003.

But in just six seasons, he packed in an impressive haul, claiming an All-Ireland title, three Munster crowns, three Division 1 titles as well as a Division 2 win.

“My dream, since I was a young fella, was to play with Cork and I feel extremely lucky and privileged to have been given that opportunity.

“As a player, naturally you always remember some of your disappoint-ments and wish you won more, but I can’t complain, considering what’s been achieved since 2008.”

Kissane will now concentrate on developing his athlete development and coaching business. He is currently undertaking a masters degree in strength and conditioning in St Mary’s, London.

His decision to hang up his boots follows his fellow half-back Noel O’Leary’s earlier this month.

He never considered himself a martyr for devoting so much of his life to an amateur cause.

“I don’t think it’s getting too demanding. Okay, you can’t go here and you can’t go there, you’re watching your nutrition and your hydration, the video analysis. You’re missing out on weddings and stags but it’s worth it.

“People say to me ‘Jesus, you make great sacrifices’. But I never saw it as sacrifices.

“I did it because I genuinely wanted to do it. If I wanted to go pinting every weekend I would have done that. I was happy to do it.

“When the ball was thrown in at Páirc Uí Chaoimh or Fitzgerald Stadium, the pitch was where you wanted to be.”

Kissane paid particular tribute to Conor Counihan who invited him back into the panel six years ago.

“I am very grateful to Conor for giving me another chance in 2008 to represent my county at the highest level. I would like to thank my family and all those close to me for their ongoing support and encouragement over the years and also my own club Clyda Rovers. I wish every success to Brian Cuthbert and his new management team for 2014

Ah listen, do what you like on the Cork thread, but less of your essays here now, please!

On a serious note...

That was my first post quoting you...do I really have to use smileys to make sure people know I'm not being serious and just hopping ball..or was the "On a serious note" not enough?..In case you are wondering, I'm not being serious here. ;)

Now as someone who has responded to your posts before (check the club championships thread) in a totally civil manner, I have no idea why you would jump to conclusions and start getting cranky over one line..but anyway.

On a serious note, I do think a lot of your posts are way too long, but thats just my opinion, you can take it or leave it.

By the way, I wouldn't be so inuslar as to tell someone from another county to get off the Kerry thread, I despise that sort of mentality.

• Advertisement

Ah listen, do what you like on the Cork thread, but less of your essays here now, please!

On a serious note...

That was my first post quoting you...do I really have to use smileys to make sure people know I'm not being serious and just hopping ball..or was the "On a serious note" not enough?..In case you are wondering, I'm not being serious here. ;)

Now as someone who has responded to your posts before (check the club championships thread) in a totally civil manner, I have no idea why you would jump to conclusions and start getting cranky over one line..but anyway.

On a serious note, I do think a lot of your posts are way too long, but thats just my opinion, you can take it or leave it.

By the way, I wouldn't be so inuslar as to tell someone from another county to get off the Kerry thread, I despise that sort of mentality.
    No bother ,fair enough.

Cork kerry ist round u21 next spring in tralee ,draw done earlier.

Have ye many from last year?whats the team like?

It be a tough game for us,but we have a new management but their good.

I rate darragh o se highely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah that's exactly it. Not to say he's not capable of beating better backs, but his performances for Crokes have an asterisk against them for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

id like to see Galvin go one year in the half back line. i think he has the engine for it and would allow a few players like Casey, Darren & Walsh to fight for positions in the half forward line. we could even afford to try out Donnacha there also.

i guess we still have the following front 8 next year.

Maher...........Buckley/Star/Moran/Sheehan.

Casey.............Cooper...............Walsh
    O Donoghue.... Declan..............Darren

id like to see Galvin go one year in the half back line. i think he has the engine for it and would allow a few players like Casey, Darren & Walsh to fight for positions in the half forward line. we could even afford to try out Donnacha there also.

i guess we still have the following front 8 next year.

Maher...........Buckley/Star/Moran/Sheehan.

Casey.............Cooper...............Walsh
    O Donoghue.... Declan..............Darren

Remember Galvin played there for UCC when they had that great team that won the Cork County and Munster Club,he was outstanding.

I think he got Munster club player of the year that year

Remember Galvin played there for UCC when they had that great team that won the Cork County and Munster Club,he was outstanding.

I think he got Munster club player of the year that year

I remember it well, it was back in 1999, 15 years ago next year and Paul is sadly a shadow of the player or athlete he was then or even 5 years ago.

He is on borrowed time unless he recharges the batteries and gets a bit quicker (and more urgent) than he was last year. He was absolutely destroyed for pace quite a few times in the Dublin game and only had an effect on the game when McCaffrey was on him and was too loose, allowing him to knock over 2 points..apart from that he was awful, as he was in the Cavan game.

Moving him to wing back is not going to help the situation, modern half backs need to be seriously quick...look at Keegan, Boyle, McCarthy..even an average (IMO) player such as Loughrey...Paul is nowhere near that pace anymore and to me, he is fighting with Donnacha Walsh for a place from now on as I don't think we are at our most effective with both of them in the half forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

8 All Stars now for Colm Cooper in 12 seasons. Some record.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Radio5 wrote: »
    8 All Stars now for Colm Cooper in 12 seasons. Some record.
    And a well deserved one

He displayed his football skills on the forty this year in a way that many probably thought impossible for a player of his build and background as a corner forward.

A bit like Messi & Ronaldo in football, you wonder if we'll see better in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Colm Cooper on Tommy Walsh return – ‘I’d nearly fly over for him myself’ (via TheJournal.ie) http://thescore.thejournal.ie/tommy-walsh-kerry-colm-cooper-1170946-Nov2013/

More talk of Tommy Walsh coming back. I'd love to see it myself as he is a super player, or was before he left anyway.

Use to have this type of stuff with Kevin Moran and Jim Stynes when I was a kid in Dublin. Possibly frustrating BS drummed up in the GAA silly season, but it would be great to see him back.
    Overall Kilkenny coming back was good for the GAA IMHO. So I'd say Walsh coming back would be good to.

It's not BS but he won't be back this season either.

It's not BS but he won't be back this season either.
    Keane2097, RTE News, Strand Rd. :D

• Advertisement

No catching the Ginger Messi out :)

When was the last time Strand Road won the County League?

I was just going to rip the piss out of you for a laugh, but then I saw it wasn't a video, but a montage of photos...now I'm really mad!!

DAT MUSIK :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

but then I saw it wasn't a video, but a montage of photos

Someone forget to switch their camera to video mode until after they uploaded the "video" to YouTube :P

Corn u mhuiri quater finals

Macrooom v kilorgin
    Chriost ri v dingle
    St facthnas v sceilge
    Brendans v flannans

Corn u mhuiri quater finals

Macrooom v kilorgin
    Chriost ri v dingle
    St facthnas v sceilge
    Brendans v flannans

DLS have a chance of beating Killorglin.

3 Kerry teams will come through the other games IMO. Brendans, Dingle and Cahirciveen all very strong this year.

DLS have a chance of beating Killorglin.

3 Kerry teams will come through the other games IMO. Brendans, Dingle and Cahirciveen all very strong this year.
    Are cahirciveen jack o connors school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Are cahirciveen jack o connors school?

Yeah, Colaiste na Sceilge

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement