Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Jesus, I'm actually a wee bit sad about Galvin you know. Not a kerry man but he's been one of my favourites over the past number of years.

A great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

shocked at Galvin...didnt expect that at all. it was only a few weeks back that he was confirmed as in for the year.

as regards the match, happy with the performance, disappointed with the result though the performance of the ref for the last 20 minutes was a disgrace. once the red card was given, he gave everything to Dublin. it was like his hand was only stuck one way.

as frustrating a performance as i have experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Sounds stupid because its just a league game but I am so much more disappointed leaving today than I was last August. We were outperfomed by a better team that day, but today they were there for the taking. Stupid mistakes meant that we were 1 point uo at half time instead of 6.

Then after the Red Card Coldrick 'balanced' the game up by giving Kerry nothing after than. I feel cheated tbh.

Fair play to Dublin, better team in the second half and played Coldrick better than we did and accordingly won.

Yeah Dublin got the rub of the green with Coldrick alright. The push in the back that went unpunished was laughable.

Having said that, its always better to look inward first. Kerry were well and truly outworked by 14 men in the last quarter. Dublin upped the intensity and were met with meagre resistance. That was the winning of the game for me.

Decent game of football all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

corny wrote: »
    Yeah Dublin got the rub of the green with Coldrick alright. The push in the back that went unpunished was laughable.

Having said that, its always better to look inward first. Kerry were well and truly outworked by 14 men in the last quarter. Dublin upped the intensity and were met with meagre resistance. That was the winning of the game for me.

Decent game of football all the same.

Crowley is sum find ,and when ye get the crokes lads back ye will be dangerous,as ye have a super midfield with forwards than can score.Donughe is class.

Shane o callaghan should got more game time.

Very weak at half back and full back line but ye have a management that will get every inch out of ye and ye will be a massive test us in the munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Just my own ratings on the Kerry lads from the last night:

1. Kealy - 6 Two awful kickouts, not helped by a complete lack of effort on Sherwoods part, handed Dublin 1-1 in the space of 2 minutes. One great save, but should have done better for O'Gara's effort which trickled under him.
    2. Paul Murphy - 7 Looked solid,especially in the first half. Got hands in regularly. Costello got on top late in the game, but Murphy was hugely unlucky with some of the free's given away, with Costello conning Coldrick twice.
    3. Mark Griffin - 7 Beaten by O'Gara for the goal, but otherwise did very well. Competed well in the air and made some hard hits to dislodge the ball at vial stages.
    4. Enright - 6 Did very well when the ball was on the ground, but is a liability in the air. Cannot compete when the ball is above head level and will be targeted later in the year.
    5. Crowley - 8 Standout performer for Kerry. Kilkenny was hardly seen at all. Crowley raided forward a la Tomás, but also kicks wides like Tomás. Was out on his feet in the last 10 as the extra man and needed to be substituted.
    6. McGuire - 5 Taken apart by Brogan, who created nearly everything for Dublin. Improved as Brogan go tired but doesn't look to be a competent Centre-Back at this level.
    7. Sherwood - 5 Another poor display in Croke Park. Looked out of his depth, with poor positioning and poor passing. Having said that his man Ciarán Reddin didn't have a huge impact on the game either, so I may be overly harsh on Sherwood.
    8. Maher -7 Should have dominated against a much weakened Dublin Midfield, but failed to get into the game in any significant way. His defensive positioning however was top notch as ever.
    9. Moran -7 A mixed bag, with some great passing and nice fielding, but also some head scratching mistakes and turnovers that led to vital Dublin scores. Seems to be struggling to get off the ground, a consequence of his many injuries it seems.
    10. Lyne - 6 Good industry at times, but offered nothing in the way of an attacking threat. Slowed attacks down too often, and played some awful passes into the Full Forward line in the second half.
    11. Geaney - 6 Battled well to win ball breaking at midfield, but had little impact as a playmaker, which should be a Center Forward's role. Disappeared in the second half.
    12. Donnacha Walsh - 7 Industrious as ever. Was the only playmaker in the half forward line, and linked well with the three inside forwards. Working for the other 2 half forwards took its toll and he tired quickly in the second half.
    13. BJK - 7 Great first half. Used space well, competed and won 50/50 ball. Supply of ball in 2nd half was scarce and Philly McMahon bested him for the second 35.
    14. James O'Donaghue - 8 Looked like Kerry's only serious threat. Won his own ball and took his man on well. Got a great goal and a few points. Missed a vital goal soon after his first which really would have had Kerry in a commanding position. Poor supply of ball left him isolated in the second half.
    15. O'Brien - 7 the quietest of the 3 inside forwards in the first half, he really worked his socks off in the second and kicked 2 points. Shot selection needs work, but he showed enough to be hopeful for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Would have very few quibbles with those ratings - think you might be a bit harsh on Donnacha given the amount of work he got through, maybe a slight bit generous for 1 or 2 others but overall very much in line with what I thought.

Overall was disappointing to lose to 14 men from a position where we were in the lead with about 10 minutes left.

Can see it being a tight league as Derry's draw against Tyrone show they have no plans to merely make up the numbers (Westmeath sound like a different kettle of fish on the basis of what I've heard from the Cork game and would be gobsmacked if it wasn't them plus 1 other for relegation even at this early stage) and it's vital we at least get to the semis given the way the fixtures are arranged.

Does anyone know when Killian Young is likely to be back in action? Looking at the other likely contenders for places in the defence (bar Marc and Aidan) there isn't a huge depth of intercounty experience there, especially once you start looking at the likely subs.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Would have very few quibbles with those ratings - think you might be a bit harsh on Donnacha given the amount of work he got through, maybe a slight bit generous for 1 or 2 others but overall very much in line with what I thought.

Overall was disappointing to lose to 14 men from a position where we were in the lead with about 10 minutes left.

Can see it being a tight league as Derry's draw against Tyrone show they have no plans to merely make up the numbers (Westmeath sound like a different kettle of fish on the basis of what I've heard from the Cork game and would be gobsmacked if it wasn't them plus 1 other for relegation even at this early stage) and it's vital we at least get to the semis given the way the fixtures are arranged.

Does anyone know when Killian Young is likely to be back in action? Looking at the other likely contenders for places in the defence (bar Marc and Aidan) there isn't a huge depth of intercounty experience there, especially once you start looking at the likely subs.
    Yeah, I haven't watched it back or anything, so those ratings are just gut feelings, from what I watched.

A lot of average performers on the day, nothing terrible nothing great.

Not going to win you games against the All Ireland Champions.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Yeah, I haven't watched it back or anything, so those ratings are just gut feelings, from what I watched.

A lot of average performers on the day, nothing terrible nothing great.

Not going to win you games against the All Ireland Champions.

In terms of improving their place in the overall pecking order you'd probably say BJK was the big winner when you consider he was out of the squad last year.

Apart from that very few else made much of a case in terms of being deserving of a place higher up in the pecking order and a few probably went downward in the rankings.

On the bit in bold in terms of the result I would have said that the margin was very small and maybe on another night we could have come away with the 2 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Statement by Eamonn Fitzmaurice Kerry Manager on Paul Galvin's retirement

On behalf of the players and the management I would like to congratulate Paul Galvin on his retirement. He had a fantastic career winning everything in the game. Paul’s passion for Kerry was obvious to everyone every time he took to the field. His best trait is his honesty which meant he was a great team mate and very important in our dressing room.

He first broke into the team in 2004 as a hard working wing forward and quickly became the best in the business at winning breaking ball. Paul had a massive desire to keep improving himself and because of this constant pursuit of excellence his game evolved over the course of his career as he developed into a key creative player. He worked very hard on his conditioning and on his football to be the best and is a great example to our younger players of how ambition and belief combined with hard work pays off.

From a personal point of view Paul was excellent to deal with from the management side of things. What could have been a potentially awkward situation for us never was and I’m very thankful to him for that. I wish him the best in all his future endeavours. He has the personality and the understanding of the game to be a manager and I could see him managing Kerry teams some day. His spirit, drive and most of all his winning mentality will be missed. His heroics in the Kerry jersey will never be forgotten.

Fad 's a beidh peileadóirí Chiarraí na line seo á bplé beidh caint ar ráta oibre, spiorad agus misneach Paul agus ní dhéanfar dearmad ar a ghaiscí i ngeansaí Chiarraí.
    Guím gach rath air in a shaol amach anseo.

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news.php?item=1506&full=y

Paul's interview with Matt Cooper this evening

http://www.todayfm.com/player/podcasts/The_Last_Word_with_Matt_Cooper/The_Last_Word_with_Matt_Cooper/9737/0/paul_galvin_on_his_retirement_from_the_kerry_team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i wish him the best in whatever he does, he gave us great football,
    no doubt he will do great at what ever he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Team for tomorrow

Brian Kelly

Paul Murphy, Mark Griffin, Shane Enright

Peter Crowley, Brian McGuire, Jack Sherwood

Anthony Maher, David Moran

Jonathan Lyne, Stephen O’Brien, Donnchadh Walsh

Barry John Keane, James O’Donoghue, Conor Cox

Subs

Brendan Kealy,, Michael Geaney, Aidan O’Mahony, Paul Geaney, Pa Kilkenny, David Culhane,Alan Fitzgerald, James Walsh, Barry Shanahan, Shane O’Callaghan, Marcus Mangan

Awful performance in Killarney so far. 7 points to 6 down. Cant win a breaking ball.

Need a big performance in the second half or we will be in big trouble.

Beaten. Shocking stuff. Fair play to Derry. Played brilliant stuff and kicked some great scores.

Kerry need to have a strong look at themselves. Lack of effort from some players was very evident and we were outworked and outplayed at home.

Referee was poor again this week. Can't imagine Fitzmaurices comments last week helped our cause. No excuse though. Derry were by far the better team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

Unfortunately losing has now become a habit. And like all bad habits,very difficult to get out of!

Success breeds success and unfortunately many of the younger players didn't experience much of it at under age either.

Sad times for the green and gold.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

acequion wrote: »
    Unfortunately losing has now become a habit. And like all bad habits,very difficult to get out of!

Success breeds success and unfortunately many of the younger players didn't experience much of it at under age either.

Sad times for the green and gold.:(

In fairness we had a bad start last year too, and ended up minutes away from beating the eventual AI champions in the semi final. Don't expect to win anything this year but when all the big names get back in the results will improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

mickeyk wrote: »
    In fairness we had a bad start last year too, and ended up minutes away from beating the eventual AI champions in the semi final. Don't expect to win anything this year but when all the big names get back in the results will improve.

Yes but we've less and less big names with each year,three gone since last year.There's no point in trying to delude ourselves mickeyk,we probably will improve and get as far as the AI quarter final or semi but there's no denying that we are in famine times.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

acequion wrote: »
    Yes but we've less and less big names with each year,three gone since last year.There's no point in trying to delude ourselves mickeyk,we probably will improve and get as far as the AI quarter final or semi but there's no denying that we are in famine times.:(

Yep, agree we will be winning nothing in the next few years. There are some decent young lads coming through but nothing like the caliber of those that have retired. We do still have some lethal forwards though, and can give anybody a game on our day. Will be interested to see how it all pans out over the year. Fitzmaurice has a big job on his hands, expectations aren't huge though so he will get time to build his own team. The talent doesn't seem to be coming through for now but that's not his fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

We're better than we looked 12 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

MOTM wrote: »
    We're better than we looked 12 months ago.

By a mile, can't believe what I'm seeing in certain places about the team going backwards. I posted this on the Mayo thread earlier but it's more suited to here:
    keane2097 wrote: »
    I tend to agree actually. People talk about the decline and change of the guard etc but I tend to think they've largely already gone through it. 2011/12 was ironically our low ebb and we could have had an All Ireland out of those two years.

Last year we went very much with youth, looking at the semi-final with Griffin, Crowley and Fitzgerald all in there and all will continue to play and improve. Buckley and Maher in midfield, although this is still something of an area of concern, are young.

O'Donoghue brings a lot of pace to the forward line and if the season pans out the way you'd expect you'll have a forward line of Walsh, Gooch, An Other, Darran, Declan and James which is pretty potent. The AN Other is up in the air but there are decent options amongst the young players for a workhorse if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

By a mile, can't believe what I'm seeing in certain places about the team going backwards. I posted this on the Mayo thread earlier but it's more suited to here:
    In the black card rules now lethal forwards are harder to contain Should benefit Kerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There was a lot of fear in Kerry this time last year after the bad league start that it would be even worse in 2014 as the core of the team would be depleted even more with retirement, injury and age.
    2013 would be a sticking plaster of a team but 2014 would be a wasteland.

But the first indication from the league seem to show that that may have been a bit OTT.
    The new guys have progressed from last year.

Kerry are at an important point in the development of a new team.
    I believe Fitzmaurice must stick with the guys that are in this league squad for the duration of the league and not even think about introducing Marc, AOM, the O'Sullivans, Star or Gooch to save the day when things get tough.
    And if they get relegated as a result so be it, they will not be down in Div 2 for long and it will be a good learning experience for the squad.
    I think the retirements have helped Fitmaurice because they have removed the quandary he would have had about playing the old guys if things got tough.
    Galvin's retirement in particular as it ends any silly ideas of trying to turn the clock back a decade and play him in the backs.

Kerry will not be All Ireland contenders again for another few years but if they want to build a strong team like the one of the '00s they have to put their faith in the young guys now.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

mickeyk wrote: »
    Yep, agree we will be winning nothing in the next few years. There are some decent young lads coming through but nothing like the caliber of those that have retired. We do still have some lethal forwards though, and can give anybody a game on our day. Will be interested to see how it all pans out over the year. Fitzmaurice has a big job on his hands, expectations aren't huge though so he will get time to build his own team. The talent doesn't seem to be coming through for now but that's not his fault.
    I agree. Kerry have some good young players coming through. Murphy, Sherwood, Lyne, Griffin but it's impossible to replace the players that have retired. The likes of Tomás Ó Sé and Paul Galvin were exceptional players. They don't come around too often. It's going to be a few years before Kerry can realistically challenge for All-Ireland glory. Although if Kerry were willing to implement a system that plays to their strengths then it might still be possible to win an All-Ireland. Kerry have young fit players than can cover a lot of ground. If they got lots of numbers behind the ball and then counter attacked at pace, just like in the Dublin game then it might be a system that could take advantage of the age and skill of the current Kerry players.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Aside from the Gooch, Maurice Fitz, Darragh, Moynihan maybe can anyone remember a player that started out as being the talk of the town? I don't recall thinking that Galvin, Tomas O Se, Declan, Darren, Aidan O Mahony, Tom O Sullivan etc all looking like they'd become exceptional players for the first couple of years.....yet they did become exceptional players.

The level of expectation on young fellahs to immediately become the best players in the country is nuts. Give them a chance. Fionn Fitz, Peter Crowley, James O Donoghue already stepping up to the mark. We're playing reasonably well with a very inexperienced team. That is a great sign and they will only get better. Give it a year or two......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

What's the story with Dathaí Casey this year?

I would have put himself and James O'Donoghue on the same plane a couple of years ago, seemed ready to make the step up after some outstanding performances for Crokes & UCC

Would love to see him given a shot at centre forward

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

D'Agger wrote: »
    What's the story with Dathaí Casey this year?

I would have put himself and James O'Donoghue on the same plane a couple of years ago, seemed ready to make the step up after some outstanding performances for Crokes & UCC

Would love to see him given a shot at centre forward

I think his club mate is going to make it tough for him to get in at centre forward.

There's an opening at ten alright, shame we haven't gotten to see him yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I think his club mate is going to make it tough for him to get in at centre forward.

There's an opening at ten alright, shame we haven't gotten to see him yet.
    For the league while Colm is out is what I meant, centre is his best position but he could do a job at 10 - not sure what his pace is like, I think Lyne is being played there ahead of him as he's a better athlete for covering ground and would be better defending deep, but has the football skills to attack well also.

Dathaí on the other hand is what you'd call a 'pure' footballer - very skillful, would offer more going forwards but the defensive side of his game might put a question mark over his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

For the league while Colm is out is what I meant, centre is his best position but he could do a job at 10 - not sure what his pace is like, I think Lyne is being played there ahead of him as he's a better athlete for covering ground and would be better defending deep, but has the football skills to attack well also.

Dathaí on the other hand is what you'd call a 'pure' footballer - very skillful, would offer more going forwards but the defensive side of his game might put a question mark over his head.

None of the Crokes players wil be availabe for the county while they're involved in the club championship.

All the Crokes Lads are sitting out because of the club championships, so I wouldnt say Lyne is being played ahead of him.

He's meant to have destroyed Galvin in the Challenge game between Kerry and the Crokes, but you know how these stories get legs.

I'd fully expect him to challenge for a half-forward berth come Championship time though.

Even name him as at Full-Forward and swap himself and Gooch in and out.

Colm, Johnny and Fionn are pretty much established Kerry players

In terms of Casey, there is a lack of "proper" half-forwards in the Kerry squad but there seems to be a fair few who might do a job there depending on tactical issues. Basically in terms of proper I would say those who you would unambiguously say there best position is in the half-forward line

All of the following Moran, Buckley, Donaghy, Sheehan, Lyne, Cooper, Declan, Darran can do a job there but you would find a significant amount of people who would say some of these are better in midfield and some are better nearly goal or in Lyne's case in the defence.

Whats happens the Kerry attach if there is an injury to Cooper?

O'Leary and Looney are probably the only 2 who might be in the shakeup as regards Crokes and are probably the 2 most affected by the club championship in terms of missing the McGrath cup and the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Lads ... is our county championship so poor at this stage that we have Crokes vastly overrated ...... not a Crokes man but am sorry to feel that for this team the prospect of winning an AI is growing ever more distant if not gone. Sadly for Kerry they will probably cruise to another title this year..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement