Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Any word on goochs injury?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

We are in the middle of a footballing famine I am afraid and we are now entering our fifth year WS (without Sam). Until the underage conveyor belt starts churning out talent we will remain in bleak famine territory, their is too much emphasis on Hurling at the moment in North and South East Kerry and entire crops of players are being lost to football.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Stinicker wrote: »
    We are in the middle of a footballing famine I am afraid and we are now entering our fifth year WS (without Sam). Until the underage conveyor belt starts churning out talent we will remain in bleak famine territory, their is too much emphasis on Hurling at the moment in North and South East Kerry and entire crops of players are being lost to football.

That's one excuse I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I think it's pretty obvious that the Kerry county championship is very poor. Crokes are a good team but, they haven't been tested in Kerry or Munster with the past couple of years. It's an indictment of the 6 counties in Munster as much as Kerry. Sure, the Cork county championship is poor enough when you consider a small west Cork club can win 2 in a row. I can't see Crokes winning an AI now. I think players like Gooch and definitely Brosnan are coming to the twilight of their careers. It must be very hard for them to get motivated year on year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

5 years without Sam is nothing compared to other counties waiting decades and a century without it. Kerry will win it again but might take a little longer than previous times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

How is there too much emphasis on hurling??? For many many many years hurling has been neglected to a disgraceful extent..
    If lads want to play it let them play it...and help them to play it to the highest standard achievable. What do you propose no hurling and give kids no choice and see them lost to non GAA games totally ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

any word on Gooch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Amprodude wrote: »
    5 years without Sam is nothing compared to other counties waiting decades and a century without it. Kerry will win it again but might take a little longer than previous times.

Try being from Mayo and waiting 63 years :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

Like many others I'm anxious for news on Gooch. I hope to god that injury isn't serious.He's the one I feel the most sorry for.He's a top class player and while he has tasted some sweet victories, he's also had the sourest of defeats.I so wanted him to get a club AI!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Try being from Mayo and waiting 63 years :pac:

Famines are all relative.
    It will be at least 6 years between wins for Kerry in my opinion.
    That is as much a famine in Kerry as 63 is in Mayo or as 100+ is in Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Famines are all relative.
    It will be at least 6 years between wins for Kerry in my opinion.
    That is as much a famine in Kerry as 63 is in Mayo or as 100+ is in Limerick

Stop, I remember in 1997 the late Paudi O'Se saying that an 11 year wait in Kerry was worse than a 46 year one in Mayo.

Even as a young lad that analogy annoyed me greatly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

Stop, I remember in 1997 the late Paudi O'Se saying that an 11 year wait in Kerry was worse than a 46 year one in Mayo.

Even as a young lad that analogy annoyed me greatly!

Fair enough,but it's true nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Just heard on Newstalk that Colm Cooper is heading to Dublin for a scan on his knee tomorrow. So it will probably be a couple of days before we hear what the extent of his injury is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Just heard on Newstalk that Colm Cooper is heading to Dublin for a scan on his knee tomorrow. So it will probably be a couple of days before we hear what the extent of his injury is.

As a corkman he has been our enemey year after year.

But i geuinely hope he's season is not over and he is fit for the championship and april for the league game as cooper is the ultimate test for any centre back.

And cork have had there belly full of injuries.i wouldnt wish any county go through what we have.

As a corkman he has been our enemey year after year.

But i geuinely hope he's season is not over and he is fit for the championship and april for the league game as cooper is the ultimate test for any centre back.

And cork have had there belly full of injuries.i wouldnt wish any county go through what we have.

He was always going to sit out the entire league anyway.
    Kerry do not play in the championship until very late, June 22nd, so it will be interesting to see if the injury would allow him to be back for that.

I was listening back to Newstalk sport and their coverage of yesterday's sport. Colm Parkinson was at the game reporting every now and again on the Crokes match. It didn't look good. I think Parky and the gang in the studio were fearing the worst. Let's hope it's only a 6-8 week recovery, that's maybe as good as you could hope for. I hope he's not out for the year.

He came back last year before the end of the league along with a couple more of the stalwarts like Galvin and Brosnan. I don't think that will happen this year. I'm not so sure that Kerry will need him anyway this year. I don't think Fitzmaurice is aiming to win a national league, so if they survive in Division 1 I think Fitzmaurice will be happy. Kerry did very well against Dublin, and only lost by a few points to Derry. You'd fancy Kerry's chances against Westmeath, a very much depleted Mayo team due to injury woes of their own and Kildare, another team in transition under Jason Ryan. I think Kerry would even have a very good chance against Tyrone. Tyrone aren't very physical and they seem to have dropped the sweeper for the league. So, doubt Kerry would have needed Gooch for the league this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Jack Savage close to the senior panel? top minor forward the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Jack Savage close to the senior panel? top minor forward the last two years.

No. Jack savage is good but you're getting way ahead of yourself. He's a very good free kick taker but is too slow on the ball which is a similar trait of his club mate David Moran. Maybe he could be brought in next year or the year after.

I'm praying Cooper's injury isn't serious. Hopefully at worst he's got some medial knee ligament damage. Almost impossible to see us winning an All Ireland this year without him. On that note I think people going on about a famine are engaging in some hyperbole. We're not that far away really.

Crokes were bad on Saturday but if any team in Ireland lost a player of Coopers quality they'd struggle to cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I was at the match in Portlaoise on Saturday and there was an odd moment as Cooper was coming off.

He was down for a good while, and then he got to his feet and hobbled around the sideline, but just as Burns was being brought on, one of the Crokes officials (who was with Cooper) looked over and made a "no" sign with his arms as if to say don't bring him on.

Burns ran back to the sideline, stood there for about another 30 seconds, and then management decided to bring him on anyway.

I took it as an indication that the injury might not be as bad as they feared and that they were considering bringing him back on, but when he didn't appear when Crokes were in big trouble in the second half, it sort of indicates that it might be a bit worse than they expected.

Tackle was a poor one. He was quite late and went low with his shoulder, certainly not an attempt to block the ball. I'd give Newcombe the benefit of the doubt though. Hasn't seemed like a dirty player in any of the games I've seen him play in.

In terms of Crokes lads making the Kerry panel it wasn't a great day:

Fionn Fitz: Looked poor at CB against a classy footballer in Tom King. He was beaten to several balls and misread the breaks off Eoin Brosnan constantly. His ball carrying was good, but he was very slow to give passes at times and let Castlebar get men back behind the ball. I'd imagine he'll be more of a Half Back option for Kerry.

Buckley: Very good, IMO but got no help at all under breaks from his half-Forward/Back lines. Alan O'Sullivan won a few balls alright, but managed to Solo 3 balls high into the air letting Castlebar lads steal the ball. Buckley kicked a great score and looked a significant threat going forward, running through some tough tackles.

Casey: Well marshaled by Eoin O'Reilly, who was phyically too strong for Casey at times. However with the right ball Casey looked really dangerous. He was poorly utilized by the Crokes Management team IMO. He would have been far better suited to Shane Doolan's role, as a deep playmaker around the middle. Casey's distribution is at a far higher level than Doolan's. Casey kicked a wonder point from over near the sideline. The Yellow card was a pure con, he had his hand grabbed and pulled up around his man's neck. Will still be an option for Kerry this year I'd imagine.

Looney: Typical Looney performance. Mixed excellent running and bravery around the middle, with anonymity. Disappeared in the second half when a gamechanger was needed. Has so much talent, but for whatever reason cannot produce for 60 minutes. Again soft pitch would have worn him down fitness-wise with his running style.

Cooper: Pray for Colm :P

O'Leary: Well marshaled by Cunniffe. Class goal, after a beautiful pass from Burns. Barely touched the ball in the second half. Kicked one bad wide. Poor service didn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'd be surprised if his injury is so bad that it carries on into the summer. When the game was over, he got up from his seat in the stand and walked down the tunnel. He was limping a bit, but he didn't need crutches, or support from the physio to walk. Would he be able to do that with a serious knee injury?

I agree that a summer with no Colm Cooper is no summer. But I can not lie, if he were to be afflicted with a terrible tummy bug the night before he has to play us again....well...I wouldn't exactly be broken hearted. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Gooch ruptured cruciate. :-(

sickened.

Season over.

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Gooch ruptured cruciate. :-(

sickened.

Season over.

Source ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Source ?

John Fogarty, journalist on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Kerry radio now reporting it too. Awful news. Wish him a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

sickened. thats out year gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

As a Dub I'm absolutely gutted for both Kerry and for the Gooch. I wish him all the best in his recovery, hope to see him back next year but hopefully not sickening me like he did in 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

AH NOOOO :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Liam Maloney ‏@omaoldhomhnaigh 10m
    Colm Cooper is injured. He will recover. He has won medals.
    Please don't label it as tragic.
    It's just sport. And he ain't a professional.

This bloke is apparently a sports journalist with the Sligo Weekender. Idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Fant11

Sad for Gooch lads but I'd say most ppl will be watching the World Cup anyway when "the championship" is on. Hmm, Who will we watch, Messi or A Gaelic footballer?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement