Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

andyman wrote: »
    Liam Maloney ‏@omaoldhomhnaigh 10m
    Colm Cooper is injured. He will recover. He has won medals.
    Please don't label it as tragic.
    It's just sport. And he ain't a professional.

This bloke is apparently a sports journalist with the Sligo Weekender. Idiot.

He quickly deleted it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Very sad news on Cooper. Not just a loss to Kerry but the Championship as a whole.

He truly is one of the greats because you just never get sick of watching him play, here's wishing him a speedy recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Fant11 wrote: »
    Sad for Gooch lads but I'd say most ppl will be watching the World Cup anyway when "the championship" is on. Hmm, Who will we watch, Messi or A Gaelic footballer?

A Gaelic footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

An awful shame for us football fans. Wish the best in his recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

As a Cork fan, really sorry to see the Gooch out for the season

a class footballer and a nice guy

Hope he comes back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Really wouldn't be surprised if he decided to pack things in.

His body has taken a world of punishment over the years.

In a sense it's a minor miracle that he's lasted this long given his physique.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Really wouldn't be surprised if he decided to pack things in.

His body has taken a world of punishment over the years.

In a sense it's a minor miracle that he's lasted this long given his physique.

There's no way he'll retire. He is just gone 30. I'm 100% sure we'll see him lining out for Kerry this time next year.

Regarding his physique. Have you ever seen him close up? He's a lot bigger than you think and he's well able to take all the hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

There's no way he'll retire. He is just gone 30. I'm 100% sure we'll see him lining out for Kerry this time next year.

Regarding his physique. Have you ever seen him close up? He's a lot bigger than you think and he's well able to take all the hits.

His physique is fine he must be 6ft? the new rules would have suited his style of play also. Massive void for Kerry to fill now. Hopefully he can recover fully and is back to his best in 2015.

Have seen him up close a fair bit - I'm from Killarney and would know him to nod to.

He doesn't have a strong footballer's physique ; even now after years of gym work he's still fairly light looking. Anyway I'd be mostly talking about the damage his body took in his younger years. Back when he started playing - he was only 19 in 2002 and he was taking a lot of hits from bigger stronger defenders. Feck I remember watching him playing back them and you'd be afraid of a light gust of wind for fear it would blow him away.

He's played 76 Championship games at the age of 30 which when you consider the record is held by Tomas O'Se on 88 who retired at 35 is a hell of a lot. For a lad that is naturally slight that's a hell of an innings. This year would have been his 13th year of Championship football. That's a hell of a toll to put on his body.

Coming back from a cruciate injury is no joke especially at a time when you're already approaching retirement anyway and have really nothing left to prove.

Have to say I'm of the opinion that it's likelier than not that he won't pull on the green and gold again.

His physique is fine he must be 6ft? the new rules would have suited his style of play also. Massive void for Kerry to fill now. Hopefully he can recover fully and is back to his best in 2015.

He's definitely under 6ft - I'm just under that and I'd say I have a inch or two on him (wouldnt care to mention how many stone I probably have on him) I'd say 5'10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭GBXI

Sickened.

Even as a Mayo fan, a championship without the Gooch is barely worth watching. Best player I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

As a rival fan, it is good to see him off the pitch, but as a GAA fan it is always a pity to see a star player sidelined through injury. So it is a pity he will be out. Most GAA fans would have respect for him. A pure talent and not a dirty player. I never like the way he develops 70th minute cramp when Kerry are ahead as compared to his total fitness at the same time in a match that they trail. His only soft-cynical play. Other than that, he is a great player. I remember a few years ago, after a game against us in Parnell Park, I saw him stopping in the middle of the pitch to give time to fans and sign his autograph. That was nice to see. Hopefully he will recover and grace our pitches again. There are a few years left in him yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

wonder what the media outcry about the "tackle" would be had Crokes been playing the Ulster champions or even Vincents the last day when this happened.

im sure the player did not intend to harm him and it was an accident but thats irrelevent now, his mistiming has led to the best player in the country picking up as bad an injury as a sportsman could possibly get.

wonder what the media outcry about the "tackle" would be had Crokes been playing the Ulster champions or even Vincents the last day when this happened.

im sure the player did not intend to harm him and it was an accident but thats irrelevent now, his mistiming has led to the best player in the country picking up as bad an injury as a sportsman could possibly get.

Pretty clear it was a genuine attempt at a block from this angle:

Just one of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Was looking forward to seen Colm playing centre forward again this year,the man is a genius,just gutted we wont be seen the Ginger Messi this summer,hope everything goes well with the recovery and he comes back better then ever in 2015

keane2097 wrote: »
    Pretty clear it was a genuine attempt at a block from this angle:

Just one of those things.

is there an angle from behind the goal as it looks like a bad challenge from that one.

is there an angle from behind the goal as it looks like a bad challenge from that one.

The other angle available is a close up from behind the near side goals where you can't really see it properly.

To my eye it's an attempted block that's quarter of a second too late, the guy coming in behind Gooch who fell over the two of them probably did the damage but looks a pure accident to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    He's definitely under 6ft - I'm just under that and I'd say I have a inch or two on him (wouldnt care to mention how many stone I probably have on him) I'd say 5'10

According to his stats Height: 5'11″. Weight: 11.5 apparently he was only 10 stone when he made his debut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

I would of thought that if fit and injury free he had about three seasons left in him. I have to wonder if he will endure the arduos and lenghty recuperation from a cruciate to play out a couple of seasons in the twilight of his career.
    As we have seen not an easy path for a young player.

Cooper has an exceptional football mind, a player of great vision, and a leader - so even on crutches he would be of use to the Kerry team. It's a question of whether he could be bothered at this stage. Huge mileage. Lots of medals. In my opinion I would be very surprised to see him play football again.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Are you seriously trying to say that that player tried to hurt Gooch. It might be a bad tackle, ill-timed or ill-judged, but I only know of few instances where players have gone out to purposely hurt another player, and that tackle didn't look planned or orchestrated.

I think we all remember what Tadhg Kenneally and Paul Galvin planned and did to Nicholas Murphy in the All-Ireland final back in 2009. And, the only reason we know for sure that that tackle was planned was because that idiot put it in his book.

Switching back to Gooch. I think he'll find it very hard to recover from cruciate damage at this stage of his career. He's going to be 31 in May. So, that would mean that if rehab went well he would be 32 the next time he'd line out for Kerry in championship. It would be great to see. I think it's more than possible. I wouldn't be writing his obituary just yet, but we'll have to all wait, and see, and hope. I'm sure he has other things on his mind. He's been going with Kerry a very long time. It's hard to see Kerry winning any major honours over the next few years anyway. Why would Gooch come back to Kerry? To win another Munster medal, maybe a national league medal? Is that really what he wants? I think he'd love to win an All-Ireland club medal, but other than that, he's won everything else. It would be hard to see where he would get the motivation from to come back to county football. If he stepped aside from county football, it would definitely prolong his club career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

What a great pity, never nice to see any player pick up a serious injury but when it's somebody of his ability it makes it worse. Whether he will pack it in is a question for another day but given he depends on his footballing brain rather than physique I think he could be very effective for a couple of more years at least. I'd be very surprised if he didn't play on, he will get the best care going I am sure to help him back. This is the worst news any kerry supporter could have gotten this year and it looks like our AI bid is effectively over before it has begun, wish him a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,157 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thats very unlucky break.

Its caused couple of Cork players to be out for season over the last few years.

The best footballer I have seen.

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Are you seriously trying to say that that player tried to hurt Gooch.

what part of "im sure the player did not intend to harm him and it was an accident" do you not understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

what part of "im sure the player did not intend to harm him and it was an accident" do you not understand?
    Well what are you suggesting when you say

"wonder what the media outcry about the "tackle" would be had Crokes been playing the Ulster champions or even Vincents the last day when this happened".

It sounds like you're saying that if it was an Ulster team or a Dublin team that the tackle would have been seen as intentional by the media, by Kerry supporters etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Gutted for him. Plenty of players have come back from it but it must be very hard to take. He will of course be a huge loss to Kerry.

I wish him a speedy recovery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

hope he gets back in the kerry jersey again. a pure cakewalk of an all ireland for the dubs now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

hope he gets back in the kerry jersey again. a pure cakewalk of an all ireland for the dubs now.

There's a whole rake of top class teams with their hungry eyes on Sam.
    And a Cork team going very well at the minute is your most immediate concern.

And they ain't gonna get Complacent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Gutted.

It will be an odd year, not to see Tomás, Galvin or Gooch on the field.

Time for our other players to stand up and be counted.

Maybe a return to the high ball into Donaghy without Gooch as our creator.

Plenty for Eamonn to ponder.

Daithí Casey straight in at Number 11? Or go with Moran and have Maher and Buckley at Midfield?

He might make it back for the All Ireland Final if its a 6 month injury ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

kerry were the only team to put it up to the dubs last year and really should have bet them, there is nothing else out there,mayo will be hyped up and fail again as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

kerry were the only team to put it up to the dubs last year and really should have bet them, there is nothing else out there,mayo will be hyped up and fail again as usual.

Cork didnt do too bad against them either seeming it was supposed to be a complete walk in the park beforehand for Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement