Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

There must be at least four or five places up for grabs now with all the retirements and obviously now coopers injury this year. Can't remember being in that situation in a long time. Must be a very exciting time for the fringe players. Hopefully they can step up. Our bench is going to be pretty thin compared to other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

kerry were the only team to put it up to the dubs last year and really should have bet them, there is nothing else out there,mayo will be hyped up and fail again as usual.
    Mayo weren't that far off the Dubs last year. It wasn't a classic final. I thought both Dublin and Mayo played better in their semi-finals than they did in the final. I think realistically Mayo and Cork represent the biggest challenge to Dublin. I don't think Kerry were going to do any good this year even with Gooch. Tyrone and Kildare are continually over hyped. Can't see Donegal coming back to their top form of 2012. It's hard to bring that intensity and hunger to the table again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

hope he gets back in the kerry jersey again. a pure cakewalk of an all ireland for the dubs now.
    kerry were the only team to put it up to the dubs last year and really should have bet them, there is nothing else out there,mayo will be hyped up and fail again as usual.

:D

Bookmarked;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Very sad to see any player injured, but his quality will be a huge loss to Kerry and to the Championship this year.

A bit premature to be speculating on his long term future though. Let him get the operation and the long recovery over with for a start.

Radio5 wrote: »
    Very sad to see any player injured, but his quality will be a huge loss to Kerry and to the Championship this year.

A bit premature to be speculating on his long term future though. Let him get the operation and the long recovery over with for a start.
    It's only speculation. We're all wishing him well and would like to see him come back. We're just speculating as to whether that will happen for various reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Highly doubt Gooch would even think about ending his career like this. Non-event speculation tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

mayo havnt the balls to win an all ireland

I still haven't made my mind up about this particular Mayo team under James Horan. They've been beaten by Donegal and Dublin in the last two final. I think they've been beaten by better teams on the day, although they had their chances on both days. They prob had a better chance against Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Amprodude wrote: »
    Cork didnt do too bad against them either seeming it was supposed to be a complete walk in the park beforehand for Dublin.

Cork were very poor against the dubs last year and should of lost by a lot more.

I don't think Cork were any worse against the Dubs. Dublin should have converted more goal scoring chances but that was it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

.Cork have had a huge list down the years with Cruciates ,Rory O'Sullivan,David Gould ,ciaran sheehan,colm o neill,3 times ,paudie sul years ago,David meyler in Soccer(apparatenly one of the worst ever)but made it back.

Shefflin came back ,john galvin the same,david moran also,i have no doubt he will make it .A huge loss to kerry ,hes greatness makes him irrepecable,and i find it hard to see them doing much ,but i wouldnt rule them out against us .

I would rather beat kerry with the Gooch any day of the week.Am gutted hes out and a huge loss to the Championship as a whole .
    Hes age wont affect hes comeback,was already lost a yard of pace anyway and hes intelligance,reading and natural understanding of the game,means he has a lot to offer still.I wish the gooch nothing but the best in hes recovery.

In regards jack savage fitzmaurcie done an interview start league,and said he could push for a start if merited.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2014/0201/ireland/kerry-boss-defends-omitting-u21-stars-257382.html

That tells ye all ye want to know regarding fitz intentinions .

There's always a question mark over a player after the cruciate. You just don't know if they'll be back to the way they were before the injury. David Moran hasn't really had the time to come back to form since his double cruciate. Last year was an injury laden year for him. Andy Moran never came back to his best after his cruciate. Colm O'Neill was fantastic and so was Sheehan after their first cruciate injuries, time will tell if O'Neill is as good after it this time. Hope so. I think it can be a bit hit and miss with injuries. Henry Shefflin seems to have enormous powers of recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

As a Kerry native and a Kerry fan,I'm absolutely gutted about gooch. He's a joy to watch on the field and an absolute gentleman both on and off it. My heart goes out to him and with all my heart,I wish him a speedy recovery.I certainly hope he won't retire before we have Sam back in the kingdom.Genius that he is,he deserves to hang up his boots with another celtic cross,especially with all the heartache and disappointment of the past few years.

I was very iffy about getting a season ticket this year. If I knew then that we'd be without both Galvin and Gooch, I wouldn't have got one. I think 2014 is a lost cause now for Kerry,we were never going to do much,but you could always enjoy watching gooch.I agree that the Dubs are now looking certain to do the two in a row.

But fast forwarding on to 2015,Eamon's squad will be so much better and with gooch back to us,and according to certain rumours,maybe even Tommy Walsh,well,who knows?

acequion wrote: »
    As a Kerry native and a Kerry fan,I'm absolutely gutted about gooch. He's a joy to watch on the field and an absolute gentleman both on and off it. My heart goes out to him and with all my heart,I wish him a speedy recovery.I certainly hope he won't retire before we have Sam back in the kingdom.Genius that he is,he deserves to hang up his boots with another celtic cross,especially with all the heartache and disappointment of the past few years.

I was very iffy about getting a season ticket this year. If I knew then that we'd be without both Galvin and Gooch, I wouldn't have got one. I think 2014 is a lost cause now for Kerry,we were never going to do much,but you could always enjoy watching gooch.I agree that the Dubs are now looking certain to do the two in a row.

But fast forwarding on to 2015,Eamon's squad will be so much better and with gooch back to us,and according to certain rumours,maybe even Tommy Walsh,well,who knows?
    Jeez you're a real die hard supporter!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Jeez you're a real die hard supporter!

There might be a 'money back' option in the terms and conditions of the Season Ticket - for if things aren't going well.

Seriously acequion, would you not want to shout on and get behind the rest of your lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

As a Mayo man, Gooch has inflicted serious pain on us down the years but there is no denying what a player he is, had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of years ago and a sounder man you could not meet. All the best to him.

Now now Jack, there was only a point in it at the end. Anyways I think you'll agree that there's a big game in Castlebar in a couple of weeks time, might as well look at that before we start talking about All-Irelands..

its safe to say castlebar will get stage fright as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

acequion wrote: »

I'd say a lot longer than that. ;)

You sound like you hope they do. Take your beating.

That didn't happen to St Brigids when they met Ballymun Kickhams. Granted a Roscommon team but this notion that Connaught is a soft touch, Galway in the hurling, Mayo et al in the football is ridiculous. It's the same thing as saying that Crokes have a soft underbelly that Crossmaglen and other teams knew they could exploit. It's ridiculous! I couldn't believe that article was in the Examiner on Saturday

• Advertisement

not from kerry and hoped mayo would win an all ireland but just sick of all the crap with them by now,they are not men enough to win one, all hype no action, happy to get to a final lose it and go off on a 2 week team holiday like some kind of superstars.

not from kerry and hoped mayo would win an all ireland but just sick of all the crap with them by now,they are not men enough to win one, all hype no action, happy to get to a final lose it and go off on a 2 week team holiday like some kind of superstars.

Right you are Jack.

I don't think they were too happy to lose either final. They were pretty determined this year. Did you ever think they were just not good enough, that they were beaten by a better team on both occasions. It's not always about balls, or deserving it, you have to win it. I just think they came up short both years. Everyone knew Mayo's failings going into both finals. They were just that little bit short on forwards! It didn't help that Andy Moran was injured against Donegal or that Cillian O'Connor was playing injured in the final last year. Those same shortcomings came back to haunt them both days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

Cork will walk Munster
    and enter into a proper championship very flat
    today is bad news for the rebel county
    And Cork are prob the only realistic challengers to Dublin - forget about the Mayo men

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

"if you did that below in Kerry, you'd get life in jail for what your man did and got away with it. look thats another day that he got away with it".

those are the words of the crokes manager, i am surprised that the media aint picked up on it.

Cork will walk Munster
    And Cork are prob the only realistic challengers to Dublin - forget about the Mayo men

What have Cork done recently? Mayo have been the 2nd best team in the country two years running.
    FWIW I think it will be tough for Mayo to go at the pace we set last year but some respect should be shown too - in the last two years we've beaten Dublin, Donegal and Tyrone and were not far off winning the thing outright. Putting Cork above us is a bit of stretch even for the biggest Cork diehard.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Christ what has happened to the usually very good Kerry thread tonight ?.

Anyway its a real shame to see Gooch down, hope he comes back to get another few years out of it.

I was looking forward to seeing how he would do on the 40 again this year and more importantly how other teams would deal with him seeing as it would be his second time round there.

I did not rate Kerry as serious contenders this year so this does not really change anything except perhaps Kerry's chances of winning Munster have now taken a blow, but its still hard to figure how Cork will be in that regard also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mayo and Cork threads are this way girls and boys
    >

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Cork will walk Munster

Can you back that up with any real substance or give me reasons to believe that.
    I am a cork man by the way.

• Advertisement

What's wrong Father Tod, is there a law against free speech? Can you not handle Cork and Mayo men?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement