Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

what? that mayo arent contenders?
    they might be contenders to get to the final, i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

f55f1a381b04b5d5d6bb383d3f0ff4d0184c449417efeeed76205e708556bc13.jpg

Whats with people making bull**** and inflammatory predictions on Mayo and Cork's prospects this year.

Mayo have a chance.

Cork have a chance.

Kerry have a chance.

Its February, anything could happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

"if you did that below in Kerry, you'd get life in jail for what your man did and got away with it. look thats another day that he got away with it".

those are the words of the crokes manager, i am surprised that the media aint picked up on it.

I mentioned it in the Club Championship thread yesterday.
    It was a weird interview.
    I had not seen the incident before hearing yer man's comments and was surprised more had not been made of the tackle if it was such a blatant offense bad O'Leary implied it was

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

ColeTrain wrote: »
    What have Cork done recently? Mayo have been the 2nd best team in the country two years running.
    FWIW I think it will be tough for Mayo to go at the pace we set last year but some respect should be shown too - in the last two years we've beaten Dublin, Donegal and Tyrone and were not far off winning the thing outright. Putting Cork above us is a bit of stretch even for the biggest Cork diehard.

Theres three types of people in the world.
    The optimist,the pessimsist,and the realist.

That statement he made is way over the top optimstic when you realise we havent been tested yet by a top four team ,management unproven yet and dualism isnt good

Im a realist,and i don't share hes views.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Cork have lost more senior players this year than Kerry. Both teams are in transition. I think in many respects both teams needed to bring new players on board, but it would have been far easier if that process was gradual. I think Cork have more talented young players coming through. Also, Cork still has a very potent forward line. But let's not kid ourselves. Dublin look to be a very daunting prospect for any team. There the one team you'd fancy to win back to back titles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Theres three types of people in the world.
    The optimist,the pessimsist,and the realist.

That statement he made is way over the top optimstic when you realise we havent been tested yet by a top four team ,management unproven yet and dualism isnt good

Im a realist,and i don't share hes views.

I know well his opinion wouldn't be shared by the average Cork supporter! Cork have re-building to do but there's no reason why you can't give a good account of yourself this year. Who knows what will happen, plenty of league football to be played first anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Cork have lost more senior players this year than Kerry. Both teams are in transition. I think in many respects both teams needed to bring new players on board, but it would have been far easier if that process was gradual. I think Cork have more talented young players coming through. Also, Cork still has a very potent forward line. But let's not kid ourselves. Dublin look to be a very daunting prospect for any team. There the one team you'd fancy to win back to back titles

......to be fair, winning last year will help that ;)

With Kerry down to the bare bones, and Cork 'in transition', sounds like we could be in for another 1992?
    Would be great
    But doubt Tipp or Clare or Limerick would have any impact on the championship beyond a munster title

I think we can all agree that the team that beats Dublin will win the All-Ireland. And it looks very much like Dublin will get to another final this year. Remember this year that the Munster champions and the Connaught champions will meet in the semi-finals if both counties win their respective quarter-finals. At this stage you'd expect that to be a Cork Mayo semi-final on one side of the draw. Speaking hypothetically, both Mayo and Cork have a great chance of getting to an All-Ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Cork were very poor against the dubs last year and should of lost by a lot more.

But they didnt is the thing. They gave Dublin a good game all the same and exposed plenty of weaknesses in that Dublin defence. If Cork had a more astute manager and 1 or 2 more quality forwards like O Neill playing then i think they could have had a good chance of winning the game, but on the day Dublin were better.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Great shame to hear about Coopers injury. The best days and/or wins are when you see the best players at their best slugging it out on the pitch. Like the semi final this year when he was the best player on the pitch but ended up unluckily on losing side. Hopefully he can quickly put it behind him and come back. One Dub here hoping for a great player like him to be back playing against us soon, no matter the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

There might be a 'money back' option in the terms and conditions of the Season Ticket - for if things aren't going well.

Seriously acequion, would you not want to shout on and get behind the rest of your lads.

Never claimed to be a die hard supporter,though I am a Kerry supporter.I buy a season ticket as I like the games,but what I especially like is watching quality athletes like gooch.With all this blanket defence and "system"football of recent years,genuinely skilful footballers are scarce on the ground.

Unfortunately, Kerry football isn't exactly bursting with talent right now and that's the reality. We're in famine years,plagued with bad luck and tough defeats.It's not the easiest time to traipse around the country as a supporter,but we still do it. And,hey,eventually our luck will turn and we'll be back!:)

acequion wrote: »
    Never claimed to be a die hard supporter,though I am a Kerry supporter.I buy a season ticket as I like the games,but what I especially like is watching quality athletes like gooch.With all this blanket defence and "system"football of recent years,genuinely skilful footballers are scarce on the ground.

Unfortunately, Kerry football isn't exactly bursting with talent right now and that's the reality. We're in famine years,plagued with bad luck and tough defeats.It's not the easiest time to traipse around the country as a supporter,but we still do it. And,hey,eventually our luck will turn and we'll be back!:)
    It must be very tough to be a Kerry football supporter. I never knew the hardships ye suffered

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

acequion wrote: »
    but what I especially like is watching quality athletes like gooch.

I think everyone in the country feels that way.
    Worth the admission price alone to see him play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I mentioned it in the Club Championship thread yesterday.
    It was a weird interview.
    I had not seen the incident before hearing yer man's comments and was surprised more had not been made of the tackle if it was such a blatant offense bad O'Leary implied it was

It's not his first time making outlandish statements after matches. I don't really like giving out about GAA volunteers in a personal sense for the most part but he seems to be a bit boorish, very arrogant and doesn't seem to ever accept personal responsibility for anything that goes wrong with Crokes.

They are a marvellous club and I think O'Leary is a poor ambassador for them.
    I can't for the life of me understand why people think Tyrone are going to win Sam. They haven't done anything since 2008. They've been to 2 semi finals in that time and were soundly beaten in both. They are a top 8 team at best.

I would think getting the the All Ireland semi-final last year counts as doing something. No real sense hearkening back to 2008 as the team is very very different since. Tyrone have been producing crazy numbers of excellent young players over the last few years, and the signs were there last year that they are starting to find their feet at senior level. The result of that semi-final was somewhat flattering towards Mayo.

Tyrone will be real contenders this year IMO. If everyone is at their best Dublin are still a bit in front but Tyrone are pretty close to on par with the best of the rest.

I'd agree on O'Leary.

He was tactically outwitted on Saturday and would have been better off keeping his head down.

A change of guard needed in Killarney.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I'd agree on O'Leary.

He was tactically outwitted on Saturday and would have been better off keeping his head down.

A change of guard needed in Killarney.

I think Crokes have been found badly wanting tactically in each of the last three years. Everything about the club is top class bar the sideline. To hear O'Leary speaking I doubt there will be much introspection on his part unfortunately for them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I've just deleted a whole load of off topic posts about other counties - this is the Kerry GAA thread not a general chat thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

TOMMY Walsh has been placed on the Sydney Swans' long-term injury list as the Irishman continues his recovery from a severe hamstring injury.
    AFL spokesman Patrick Keane announced on Twitter on Tuesday that the Swans had put Walsh on their long-term injury list but had yet to upgrade a rookie as a replacement.

Walsh, 26 later this month, has played just five games for the Swans since crossing from St Kilda at the end of 2011.
    The forward played two games last year, but his season ended in round 10 against Essendon when he tore his hamstring off the bone in the first quarter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Does anyone know if that AIB ad floating around with Gooch in it is a photoshop or not? If it is real then AIB should be ashamed.

And regarding the injury or tackle that caused the injury it is more likely caused by the fact that it is an intercounty player against a club player. Gooch is probably the fastest player on the Kerry team over 15 yards, even watching him in warm ups he will beat Darran O'Sullivan in all the short sprints. So by definition he will be faster (a lot faster actually) than the mere mortal who might be a good club player. By the time the Castlebar man had his mind made up to dive for the block Gooch had covered an extra yard and kicked with his right leg rather than his left resulting in the collision and even then when the Gooch is 10 yards out you can hardly blame a man for throwing himself in front of him.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately cruciate injuries are par for the course now in gaa. Every now and again you get a little public outcry, and both experts, the media and supporters will come up with their own reasons as to why cruciate problems are becoming more numerous. I've heard numerous arguments from studs vs blades debates, to over training etc. It would be nice if Croke park appointed a qualified task force to look into ways to minimize or eliminate this problem rather than have silly debates about getting rid of yellow and red cards in hurling which was in the media last week.

Does anyone know if that AIB ad floating around with Gooch in it is a photoshop or not? If it is real then AIB should be ashamed.

And regarding the injury or tackle that caused the injury it is more likely caused by the fact that it is an intercounty player against a club player. Gooch is probably the fastest player on the Kerry team over 15 yards, even watching him in warm ups he will beat Darran O'Sullivan in all the short sprints. So by definition he will be faster (a lot faster actually) than the mere mortal who might be a good club player. By the time the Castlebar man had his mind made up to dive for the block Gooch had covered an extra yard and kicked with his right leg rather than his left resulting in the collision and even then when the Gooch is 10 yards out you can hardly blame a man for throwing himself in front of him.

Isn't the Castlebar man diving for the block Tom Cuniffe?

That ad is not photoshopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Pretty sure it was Newcombe who dived. Will have to watch it again.

Pretty sure it was Newcombe who dived. Will have to watch it again.

You're right actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

keane2097 wrote: »
    Isn't the Castlebar man diving for the block Tom Cuniffe?

That ad is not photoshopped.

It was Tom Cuniffe.

seligehgit wrote: »
    It was Tom Cuniffe.

Feckin hell I dunno whether I'm coming or going now!

It was Donal Newcombe the Castlebar Captain. Tom Cunniffe is behind Gooch and gives him a little shove towards goal. Newcombe was trying to block but pulled his hands back and ended up catching Cooper with his shoulder on the knee.

EDIT:

I was wrong it was McDonagh, before another person tells me i'm wrong again! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

A bit of optimism from a man who walks the walk:http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2014/0218/505104-oconnor-kerry-can-prosper-without-cooper/

Despite Gooch's injury I think we have plenty of very good forwards but have more concerns in the back line. Will be interesting to see if and how aidan o mahony will be used..... if he was fit and hungry he'd add steel and experience at full back and cover for some of kielys lapses under the high ball.

Unfortunately cruciate injuries are par for the course now in gaa. Every now and again you get a little public outcry, and both experts, the media and supporters will come up with their own reasons as to why cruciate problems are becoming more numerous. I've heard numerous arguments from studs vs blades debates, to over training etc. It would be nice if Croke park appointed a qualified task force to look into ways to minimize or eliminate this problem rather than have silly debates about getting rid of yellow and red cards in hurling which was in the media last week.

eliminate the problem? not unless you cancel all sport activities..
    ridiculous to suggest this could be eliminated
    also, look at all other similar sports - soccer, nfl, basketball, acl tears are a feature of all
    its an unfortunate break for any player, but particularly for a player reaching the final chapters of his Grade A career

incidentally, dont suppose anyone saw the french snowboarder romp home to the gold medal this afternoon? tore his acl in december in a collision, put his board away for 6 weeks and concentrated on strength / conditioning. wore a brace in competition, fair enough. amazing what the body can achieve sometimes.

• Advertisement

eliminate the problem? not unless you cancel all sport activities..
    ridiculous to suggest this could be eliminated
    also, look at all other similar sports - soccer, nfl, basketball, acl tears are a feature of all
    its an unfortunate break for any player, but particularly for a player reaching the final chapters of his Grade A career

incidentally, dont suppose anyone saw the french snowboarder romp home to the gold medal this afternoon? tore his acl in december in a collision, put his board away for 6 weeks and concentrated on strength / conditioning. wore a brace in competition, fair enough. amazing what the body can achieve sometimes.
    It's not ridiculous to strive for something to be eliminated. I did say to minimise or elimiminate!!! I doubt it can be eliminated but there's no harm trying to do both.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement