Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Hmmm, i dunno about that!

If he does come back, great, we have a better chance of winning the AI this year.
    However, why not breed a decent young FB, like Bohane or Aiden O'Shea? Give the lads a chance to prove themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

well i suppose we might not have enough time to experiment. how about the league next year for them?

I'm all for this anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Mickey McCarthy coming out of retirement sounds more like the death throes of a titan than anything else.... Who next will we resurrect Seamus Moynihan, Maurice Fitzgerald, Eoin Bomber Liston???

Kerry have won no minor since 1994 and only one U-21 (2008) and that was a narrow crape through with Cork then. Cork have being doing wonders underage while Kerry were winning All-Ireland's and the fruit of their labours came to bear on Saturday. Kerry is an old team and I would scrap half the panel and start with a new young fresh team like Micko did in 1975 and build for the future and more glory. Keeping the current team on life-support in the hopes they may salvage the season is detrimental to the greater cause.

^ what are you on???

McCarthy is only 30, or maybe just 31. He retired early, aged 28. He is a great full back. He continues to play for his club. We need a full back. He is not that old. Everyone was suprised when he retired after 2006 season at just 28!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Mickey McCarthy coming out of retirement sounds more like the death throes of a titan than anything else.... Who next will we resurrect Seamus Moynihan, Maurice Fitzgerald, Eoin Bomber Liston???

Kerry have won no minor since 1994 and only one U-21 (2008) and that was a narrow crape through with Cork then. Cork have being doing wonders underage while Kerry were winning All-Ireland's and the fruit of their labours came to bear on Saturday. Kerry is an old team and I would scrap half the panel and start with a new young fresh team like Micko did in 1975 and build for the future and more glory. Keeping the current team on life-support in the hopes they may salvage the season is detrimental to the greater cause.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaa-championships/gaelic-football/do-you-know-a-sudden-assessment-sufferer-1775691.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Martin Breheny in 'good journalism' shocker!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭deeno1975

While Mike McCarthy was a good full back in 2006, I dont know what his form is like at the moment...

Don't think this is a championship changing moment for Kerry ala Donaghy's intro to full forward a few years ago...

i hear he's been playing well for kilcummin. i wonder if he will be playing for them friday night..might go along and see how he plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

mystic86 wrote: »
    i hear he's been playing well for kilcummin. i wonder if he will be playing for them friday night..might go along and see how he plays.
    He is playing well alright, but so are Eamon Fitz and Séamus Moynihan.
    Their both playing midfield and scoring 2-3 points a game. Impressive for 2 Center Backs really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Looks like Killian Young might be out for a while

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0623/kerry.html
    Kerry have suffered an injury blow with the news that Killian Young picked up a shoulder injury in a club game at the weekend.

The defender was injured playing in South Kerry's four-point victory over Rathmore and it is feared it is a the same problem he suffered recently with his AC joint.

Aidan O'Mahony appears fit despite hurting his shoulder during Kerry's replay defeat to Cork as he lined out for Rathmore in the same match.

And further good news for Kerry is that Tommy Walsh has shown no ill-effects to his recent ankle problem by scoring 1-5 from play for Kerins O'Rahillys in their weekend defeat to Dingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Was anyone at the Kerins O'Rahillys Vs Dingle game?

One of the worst displays of biased refereeing I've ever seen...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

keane2097 wrote: »
    Was anyone at the Kerins O'Rahillys Vs Dingle game?

One of the worst displays of biased refereeing I've ever seen...

I wasn't there but tell us who was the referee and which team did you think he was biased toward?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭deeno1975

Just heard that Mike Franc retired... Great and long (long long) career....

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

deeno1975 wrote: »
    Just heard that Mike Franc retired... Great and long (long long) career....

Yeah..... A great servant to the cause and a real classy player

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Best of luck to Mike Frank. A great forward who was a good finisher and a good servant to Kerry.

Up the Dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Eoin Brosnan has followed suit and retired from the Kerry squad according to todays Examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

deeno1975 wrote: »
    While Mike McCarthy was a good full back in 2006, I dont know what his form is like at the moment...

Don't think this is a championship changing moment for Kerry ala Donaghy's intro to full forward a few years ago...

Do u ever watch county championship games or read the sports section of the kerryman?McCarthy is in excellent form and regarded by most as the best full back in the county.He is agile,quick,agressive and very experienced

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

LeoB wrote: »
    Best of luck to Mike Frank. A great forward who was a good finisher and a good servant to Kerry.

Up the Dubs

Mike Frank was a good player for kerry but in all honesty he hasnt shown any real form in 5 or 6 years.He lost a lot of confidence back then and has failed to regain it.his shooting has been wayward and he has bn well off the pace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Yes I heard Brosnan is also gone.Jaysus,they are dropping like flies down there.Is it just an unlucky coincidence for Kerry or is Jack O Connor rubbing some players the wrong way.

I can understand if it is due to work commitments for Brosnan but two dropouts in a week is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭helpisontheway

blackbelt wrote: »
    Yes I heard Brosnan is also gone.Jaysus,they are dropping like flies down there.Is it just an unlucky coincidence for Kerry or is Jack O Connor rubbing some players the wrong way.

I can understand if it is due to work commitments for Brosnan but two dropouts in a week is amazing.

I woudnt imagine its anything to do with work etc.Id say they have realised that they are not upto inter county level anymore so have decided to do the right thing and move aside and let the youth come through.
    Pat Flanagan back as physical trainer is a huge boost though!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭breaux

I'd say Jack'O is finding his second stint a little bit tougher second time around. Too many players dropping off the panel.......experienced players not performing.....etc...etc....i wonder if in hindsight he kinda regrets writing the now infamous biography...players rubbed up the wrong way...disquiet in the camp....he certainly peed off alot of guys.........can't see him lasting past the year. Players will want this year to end ASAP so he's gone and i can see an early exit for kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

breaux wrote: »
    I'd say Jack'O is finding his second stint a little bit tougher second time around. Too many players dropping off the panel.......experienced players not performing.....etc...etc....i wonder if in hindsight he kinda regrets writing the now infamous biography...players rubbed up the wrong way...disquiet in the camp....he certainly peed off alot of guys.........can't see him lasting past the year. Players will want this year to end ASAP so he's gone and i can see an early exit for kerry.

There's plenty of ****e written on internet forums, but man, this is a solid candidate for the stinkiest heap of garbage I've seen, in the top 1 certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Kingdom wrote: »
    There's plenty of ****e written on internet forums, but man, this is a solid candidate for the stinkiest heap of garbage I've seen, in the top 1 certainly.

I actually think your comment is the Number 1 piece of garbage I have read in quite a while.

Breaux makes a valid point. Jack might need a clearout if he stays on and commits to say 2 or 3 years. A lot of players on the panel have huge miles on the clock and while everyone with half brain can see Kerry have a huge wealth of talent but some lads should probably question their appetite and not be afraid to step aside.
    The intensity of what the players go through is demanding and you have to ask are they all up to it? I have no doubt the some players have the ability but do they have the engine? Should Jack look at pushing 1 or 2 more? There are a few hard questions to be asked.

It does'nt look the happy ship it was during his first stint as manager.

Personally I have every faith in Jack. MFR & Brosnan though great players in their day are unfortunately not up to it anymore. There is a lot of crap talk here about disharmony in the camp - bollocks to that. I'd prefer to see a clear out in June than wait until September to find out that players dont have it anymore. There was a lot of straight talking this week and a few players have been told to get off the pot. Ciarrai Abu.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

if we're all honest i think its fair to say the inter county game has changed so much in the last few years that players like mike frank aren't suited to it now. being two footed, skilful and with an eye for a pass/goal isnt enough anymore especially when you've got the likes of mcmenamin pulling and dragging as a substitute for actual tackling. while he was a great servant i think he was treated badly by the last two management teams. pat o shea and jack o connor hardly utilised him while he could do a job. he still hasnt ruled himself out of 2010 has he?? as for brosnan, i'd be concerned about losing him. with the problems at midfield at the moment he could do a job there, he may not be aggressive enough against some teams but he's still an option alongside someone like tommy griffin. and at the moment i don't see the forwards causing much fear for other teams. without donaghy there doesnt seem to be any other plan. brosnan always had an eye for a goal so i'd wonder why he's been let go.

all that said, if they get a settled team, i see no reason why kerry can't be in croke park in september. darran o sullivan isnt good enough for inter county football, speed will only get you so far. bryan sheehan needs more aggression, paul galvin needs less aggression and more focus on football. the likes of bohane need to be given a proper chance at full back instead of an odd 10 minutes here and there. if mike mac is available though he should be brought back in. declan o sullivan at corner forward jacko?? not a hope. im a big fan of tommy walsh but surely im not the only one who can see he's not a natural full forward, his shooting can be atrocious at times... yes i do realise he's still 20/21 years old but kerry have high standards, barry john is a more natural forward and should the qualifiers be kind then younger guys should be given a chance to impress... rant over!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I wouldn't consider Brosnan a big loss atall - there's plenty of better footballers around the county than him - he's a good athlete - but he hasn't really performed for the last few seasons. If Kerry want to progress Moran has to start midfield and we need pace - Darran O' Sullivan should be in the full forward line - he'd wreak havoc. Younger players start to be blooded in now IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

PaulieC wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider Brosnan a big loss atall - there's plenty of better footballers around the county than him - he's a good athlete - but he hasn't really performed for the last few seasons. If Kerry want to progress Moran has to start midfield and we need pace - Darran O' Sullivan should be in the full forward line - he'd wreak havoc. Younger players start to be blooded in now IMO

Our problem is that we have no backs Paul - midfield and forwards wise we're fairly well stocked provided the selections are made sensibly, but of our backs only Marc O'Se is really at the top level of the game.

Tom O'Sullivan is routinely roasted by quality opposition.
    Padraig Reidy is routinely roasted by mediocre opposition.
    Tomás O'Se and Aidan O'Mahony are way too slow to be anything but liabilities against teams with accomplished half-back and half-forward lines.

The lack of pace particularly in the half-back line was exposed by Cork and we don't really have anyone to bring in to improve it.

Daniel Bohane would be a great introduction but he seems to be made of glass and so we probably will never see him as a regular starter for Kerry.

Aidan O'Shea could be played at full back maybe, besides him I'm kind of at a loss as to who we could draft in to help our creaking backline...

Anbody know for definite when the draw for the 2nd Round Qualifiers is on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

True - especially about Bohane - he deserves a shot - O'Shea can't play full back - he doesn't mark tightly enough to be in such a central position we found that out against Mayo in the league - wing back I'd say. Who could you replace Mahony with though and O'Sullivan - two central positions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement