Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

A controversial, former Kerry great gives siege mentality incentive to current Kerry team....that doesn't sound right! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

MOTM wrote: »
    Anyone know the current story with bryan sheehans injuries? Is he due back at some stage this decade?

(apologies from drifting off topic from the tackle ;p

Bryan Sheehan due back in March according to the last reports I heard.

I'd take no notice of Spillane and I doubt too many do at this stage.

Great to see the Kerry involvement with UCC . Well done to them.

Great to see Kerry hurlers maintaining a winning start also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Didn't see the article but he really should know better. There were multiple all stars and former players of the year playing with cooper last year, the most decorated players currently playing the game. Maybe some of them were / are past their peak but calling them ordinary is not on. I know he was probably trying to eulogise googh but there is no need to insult his teammates. Shame on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I strongly doubt Spillane sees any of those articles before they go to print.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Methinks that Pat is a tad jealous of all the attention that some of Joe Brolly's more controversial articles get, so he has decided to grab a slice of the action himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

The team is as follows:
    1.Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin)
    2.Paul Murphy (Rathmore)
    3.Mark Griffin (St Michaels/Foilmore)
    4.Shane Enright (Tarbert)
    5.Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)
    6.Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore)
    7.Marc Sé (An Ghaeltacht)
    8.Anthony Maher (Duagh)
    9.David Moran (Kerins O’Rahillys)
    10.Stephen O’Brien (Kenmare)
    11.Daithí Casey (Dr Crokes)(Capt)
    12.Donnchadh Walsh (Cromane)
    13.Barry John Keane (Kerins O’Rahillys)
    14.Paul Geaney (Dingle)
    15.James O’Donoghue (Killarney Legion)

Fir Ionaid:
    16.Brian Kelly (Killarney Legion)
    17.Conor Cox (Listowel Emmets)
    18.Brian McGuire (Listowel Emmets)
    19.Jack Sherwood (Firies)
    20.Michael Geaney (Dingle)
    21.Johnny Buckley (Dr Crokes)
    22.Fionn Fitzgerald (Dr Crokes)
    23.Pa Kilkenny (Glenbeigh/Glencar)
    24.David Culhane (Ballylongford)
    25.Alan Fitzgerald (Castlegregory)
    26.Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh Glencar)
    Bainisteóir: Eamonn Fitzmaurice (Finuge)
    Traenálaí: Cian O’Neill (Moorefield, Kildare)
    Róghnóirí: Diarmuid Ó Murchú (Daingean Uí Chúis), Mikey Sheehy (Austin Stacks).

Additional Player/Team Information:

Extended Panel Members
    James Walsh (Knocknagoshel)
    Barry Shanahan (Austin Stacks)
    Shane O’Callaghan (Austin Stacks)
    Marcus Mangan (Milltown -Castlemaine)

Rehabbing from Injury
    Jonathan Lyne (Killarney Legion)
    Kieran O’Leary (Dr Crokes)
    Bryan Sheehan (St Marys)
    Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar)
    Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks)
    Killian Young (Renard)
    Colm Cooper (Dr Crokes)

Extended Break
    Declan O’Sullivan (Dromid Pearses) (Due Back April)

Congrats to Daithí Casey, (might be?) his first start for Kerry in a competitive game, and he is captain. Wish him all the best. Look at the difference in our bench options, compared to the Derry game. we might be in with a shout on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Congrats to Daithí Casey, (might be?) his first start for Kerry in a competitive game, and he is captain. Wish him all the best. Look at the difference in our bench options, compared to the Derry game. we might be in with a shout on Sunday.
    I don't think that Kerry team would frighten anyone at the moment. It will be much stronger come championship if injuries clear up. The bench looks really poor. I can't see any player on the bench that could change a game, certainly nobody on the bench that's better than the starting 15. Fitzmaurice has gone with as strong a team as he can for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Delighted for him, good opportunity for him playing centre too - hopefully he can put his stamp on that position because it's where he plays his best football imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

That must be a first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Far better shape to this Kerry team than for either of the previous 2. Half forward line is a bit untested, but in fairness O'Brien has done ok for his first time at this level so if Casey can perform it might do a job. We know what Walsh will bring to the table.
    Bit surprised Cox isn't given a start after his showing against Derry and also in the Sigerson when he was decent. I actually think he would be a good option at 11 but he doesn't seem to play there much anymore.
    Great to see Marc back in the team and Darran and Fionn Fitz back on the bench anyway. Will be a tough game to get a result from given Mayo are at home and desperately need points aswell, so a big performance is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Delighted to see Marc in the HB line. Not convinced O'Mahony has much left to offer at this level though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

keane2097 wrote: »
    Delighted to see Marc in the HB line. Not convinced O'Mahony has much left to offer at this level though.

I wouldn't worry too much about him lad, think he'll be ok at 6. He's in far better nick than Galvin was and is fresh after missing most of last year. What we need is for Griffin to hold down 3 and Enright to cop the **** on in the corner, so Marc can play 6 or 7. I think Pa Kilkenny should get a run in the corner aswell, but it may not happen. Murphy's been doing ok, but I wouldn't fancy him on a a top level corner forward..yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

i reckon donnacha walsh cud do a great job on the half back line, he is full of energy and workrate but isnt the best at attacking. this cud pave the way for speedy forwards in the half forward line as we need more attacking play here.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

All this handpassing makes me nervous. CMON THE KINGDOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Looks like relegation is on the cards this year.

Neeson wrote: »
    Looks like relegation is on the cards this year.

If kildare lose today we've a chance. Horrible depending on other teams again.

If kildare lose today we've a chance. Horrible depending on other teams again.
    Cork might do ye a favour in Tralee. Cork will already have qualified for the semi final of the league before that game, and they might take it easy like Tyrone did last year on the last day of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Cork might do ye a favour in Tralee. Cork will already have qualified for the semi final of the league before that game, and they might take it easy like Tyrone did last year on the last day of the league.

Don't be so silly.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Don't be so silly.
    Too proud to accept help from yer neighbours

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I really hope we don't. I fully expect Cork to go to Tralee with a full strength team and their only intention is to win, as this will show the other teams fighting relegation and Kerry the respect they deserve. That is a game Cork should really want to win. Anything else would not be acceptable. I also expect it is a game we will win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Poor result today, but an encouraging performance.

Some nice individual performances.

I was impressed by Murphy, Crowley, Casey, O'Brien and Moran (at times).

Referee didn't crown himself in glory (for either side). Horribly inconsistant in what he was giving as frees.

The free after Crowley put his body on the line and dived for the ball, where he got a shoulder to the head and then 2 men kept pushing him to ground was a joke. It came at a critical moment in the match, where we were 1 point down. It gave Mayo more momentum and they ploughed on from there. From the Stands, the Griffin black card was incorrect as well. It was a Yellow card at best, as he didn't deliberately drag the player to ground. He pulled the jersey, but if everyone who pulled a jersey got a black card, there would be no-one left.

The goals killed us, and showed up our lack of pace (and concentration) at key times in the match.

Fair play to Mayo. The better team on the day, and played some very nice football.

We need to target Kildare now, but survival will be very unlikely at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I really hope we don't. I fully expect Cork to go to Tralee with a full strength team and their only intention is to win, as this will show the other teams fighting relegation and Kerry the respect they deserve. That is a game Cork should really want to win. Anything else would not be acceptable. I also expect it is a game we will win.

Yeah its not acceptable if we dont go to Tralee with the intention of winning. Kerry could make it very difficult for us to win there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

We need to target Kildare now, but survival will be very unlikely at this stage.

Kerry were in same position last year and did enough to survive. Kildare and Tyrone look very good and i do think Kerry will have to be at there best to beat both. Kerry dont need any motoviation to beat Cork.

Since when have cork wanted to do Kerry any favours. They'd relish the chance to send us down to div 2.

Ref was occasionally frustrating today, particularly the peter crowley incident. However, its refreshing to see black cards in use in some shape it form

All joking aside, Kerry could well be depending on other results to go their way to stay up in Division 1.

I think the league fixtures have worked out slightly differently for Kerry this year in the sense that they're not in a terrible position for their last 4 games this year. Kerry have to play both Westmeath and Kildare which are their direct competition for relegation. A win in both games is a must, especially the Kildare game. Tryone will be going for a win next weekend to guarantee league semi-final, they'll also want to maintain momentum.

Kerry will definitely beat Westmeath. That's 2 points.

Kerry will need another 4 points from the other 3 games against Tyrone, Kildare, and Cork. Home advantage is crucial against Tyrone, but Kildare will be a tough game in Newbridge, cos it will come down to a winner takes all game. Whichever team loses that game will most likely be relegated with Westmeath.

For the Cork game, Cuthbert may decide to rest some of his established players for the Kerry game. It's a possibility. I don't think it will happen. I think Cuthbert wants to maintain a winning mentality and momentum in which case I can't see that Kerry team beating Cork. Not this year. But I thought Tyrone would twist the knife last year and relegate Kerry. They didn't gift the game to Kerry, but the game itself didn't mean as much to them, and they didn't try their hardest. They just took their foot off the pedal after qualifying for the league semi-final last year.

Since when have cork wanted to do Kerry any favours. They'd relish the chance to send us down to div 2.

Ref was occasionally frustrating today, particularly the peter crowley incident. However, its refreshing to see black cards in use in some shape it form
    It wouldn't be a question of Cork doing Kerry a favour. That was joking. But in all seriousness, Cork will have qualified for the league semi final at that stage and Cork's new manager may want to use the Kerry game to try out some of the players on the fringes in the panel. In championship, Cork will always go all out to beat Kerry and vice versa, but this is the league. It's not the same as championship.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Unlucky I think in a lot of ways today, we got important goals which we hadn't been getting all year and some of the referring, for both sides, were shocking to say the least. Rumor had that was his 1st league game today. I was too far away for the 1st black card.
    The speed your front line has is savage, a nightmare every time you got a ball in front.
    Thought Donnacha Walsh was Kerrys best player, seemed to cover serious ground. Ye dominated the middle which I didn't expect.

Plenty of positives, think Westmeath are gone if we beat them next Sunday, and Kildare have a tough run in. So ye might sneak in again to safety.
    Best of luck for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

All joking aside, Kerry could well be depending on other results to go their way to stay up in Division 1.

I think the league fixtures have worked out slightly differently for Kerry this year in the sense that they're not in a terrible position for their last 4 games this year. Kerry have to play both Westmeath and Kildare which are their direct competition for relegation. A win in both games is a must, especially the Kildare game. Tryone will be going for a win next weekend to guarantee league semi-final, they'll also want to maintain momentum.

Kerry will definitely beat Westmeath. That's 2 points.

Kerry will need another 4 points from the other 3 games against Tyrone, Kildare, and Cork. Home advantage is crucial against Tyrone, but Kildare will be a tough game in Newbridge, cos it will come down to a winner takes all game. Whichever team loses that game will most likely be relegated with Westmeath.

For the Cork game, Cuthbert may decide to rest some of his established players for the Kerry game. It's a possibility. I don't think it will happen. I think Cuthbert wants to maintain a winning mentality and momentum in which case I can't see that Kerry team beating Cork. Not this year. But I thought Tyrone would twist the knife last year and relegate Kerry. They didn't gift the game to Kerry, but the game itself didn't mean as much to them, and they didn't try their hardest. They just took their foot off the pedal after qualifying for the league semi-final last year.

I think its a bit to early to start making predictions about Cork line ups for a game on April 6th.

Cork have 6 points at the moment.
    In 2012 that was not enough for a top 4 place.
    In 2013 it was good enough for 4th, but Kerry were seconds away for getting relegated on 6 points.

I think its a bit to early to start making predictions about Cork line ups for a game on April 6th.

Cork have 6 points at the moment.
    In 2012 that was not enough for a top 4 place.
    In 2013 it was good enough for 4th, but Kerry were seconds away for getting relegated on 6 points.
    Do you honestly think Cork are going to lose their next 4 games in the league. The only reason I raised the point of the Cork game on April 6th is that it could be very like the Tyrone game last year. Tyrone took their eye off the ball that day. If Tyrone had to win that game to stay in Division 1 then Kerry would never have got a result. Anyway, I actually can't see it coming down to the Cork game for Kerry to get relegated. I think Kildare will have too much in Newbridge for Kerry. That's the important game.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Kerry will not beat either Cork or Tyrone, this team is headed to DIV 2.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement