Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

David Moran looks left, has 20 yards of space.
    Looks right, 2 tyrone men within 5 yards of him.

Decision made: Moran goes right

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

What a second half so far.

Playing very well but we saw what Tyrone did last week, we need a big score to be safe.

1-13 to 0-09

Moran magnificent in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

DDC1990 wrote: »
    What a second half so far.

Playing very well but we saw what Tyrone did last week, we need a big score to be safe.

1-13 to 0-09

Moran magnificent in the second half.

Excellent footballer but absolutely loves carrying the ball into traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Really encouraging second half, no fade out and younger players have really stood up. Of course Tyrone look tired and I wouldn't expect them to perform like this in July / august but there looks to be a lot of positives today. Great to see Sheehan back and playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Neat finish that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Scored 3-3 in those conditions but didn't get MOTM......something wrong there.

Class 2nd half. Delighted, disappointed im not there though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Great to see the lads getting into gear finally. Always nice to defeat Tyrone. That is three years in a row now we have beaten Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I know this is off topic but Ciarán Kilkenny's season is over with cruciate damage, another fantastic talent will miss this year's championship.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Great to see the lads getting into gear finally. Always nice to defeat Tyrone. That is three years in a row now we have beaten Tyrone.
    I don't really understand the fascination with beating Tyrone. Even David Moran mentioned it was great to beat Tyrone afterwards in his interview. Tyrone aren't a great team anymore, good but not great. The last time Tyrone were great was 2008. Tyrone have only won McKenna cups since 2008. Dublin have won a national league and 2 All-Irelands. Kerry have lost their last 3 games to Dublin. Dublin are a great team at the moment.

Kerry looked a really good team today. A few of the younger lads are really beginning to step up now. I thought Paul Geaney should have started, he was way better than the likes of BJK when he came on. He looks a really talented player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I don't really understand the fascination with beating Tyrone. Even David Moran mentioned it was great to beat Tyrone afterwards in his interview. Tyrone aren't a great team anymore, good but not great. The last time Tyrone were great was 2008. Tyrone have only won McKenna cups since 2008. Dublin have won a national league and 2 All-Irelands. Kerry have lost their last 3 games to Dublin. Dublin are a great team at the moment.

Kerry looked a really good team today. A few of the younger lads are really beginning to step up now. I thought Paul Geaney should have started, he was way better than the likes of BJK when he came on. He looks a really talented player.

Excellent second half performance, they look a lot stronger and fitter this year, considering the difficult conditions today, they didn't really wane which is a positive sign.

Wasn't overly impressed by Geaney today (maybe we were watching different games), no doubt he's a good player, probably not at his best today considering his recent family bereavement. BJK did ok, needs to do a bit more recycling of the ball, tends to shoot on sight a lot.

Was impressed with Kilkenny who quietened McCurry when introduced (aware that Fionn was covering there a lot also, but nonetheless). Moran was excellent, not easy taking on the Cavanaghs and he looks to be motoring along nicely, hope he stays injury free. Drew quite a lot of fouls as well, taking the ball continuously into contact.

O'Donoghue again was excellent, surprised Tyrone didn't switch his marker as he had the beating of him throughout the 70 minutes. Sheehans return was needed, and started off where he left off, superb as usual from placed balls.

Without reading into it too much, today's all round performance was encouraging and nice to see things coming together.

Same As wrote: »
    Excellent second half performance, they look a lot stronger and fitter this year, considering the difficult conditions today, they didn't really wane which is a positive sign.

Wasn't overly impressed by Geaney today (maybe we were watching different games), no doubt he's a good player, probably not at his best today considering his recent family bereavement. BJK did ok, needs to do a bit more recycling of the ball, tends to shoot on sight a lot.

Was impressed with Kilkenny who quietened McCurry when introduced (aware that Fionn was covering there a lot also, but nonetheless). Moran was excellent, not easy taking on the Cavanaghs and he looks to be motoring along nicely, hope he stays injury free. Drew quite a lot of fouls as well, taking the ball continuously into contact.

O'Donoghue again was excellent, surprised Tyrone didn't switch his marker as he had the beating of him throughout the 70 minutes. Sheehans return was needed, and started off where he left off, superb as usual from placed balls.

Without reading into it too much, today's all round performance was encouraging and nice to see things coming together.
    I was very impressed with Kerry today. Ok, Geaney didn't do a huge amount, but he showed some promise. I was disappointed with BJK because he must have dropped 4 balls short into the keepers hands. It's nice to see a player with confidence, shoot on sight, but in tougher games, that will really hurt Kerry if he doesn't convert those chances. It saps morale, and gives the ball straight back to the opposition. I think he needs to do more. He's undoubtedly talented, but he just doesn't seem to be able to push on, it's a pity really. It's the same with the likes of Daithí Casey and Kieran O'Leary. They're all talented footballers, but they just don't seem to push on. Normally Kerry players need no excuse to be confident. It's bred into them from the day they're born. But the likes of O'Leary, Casey just seem to lack that swagger, that confidence

I was very impressed with Kerry today. Ok, Geaney didn't do a huge amount, but he showed some promise. I was disappointed with BJK because he must have dropped 4 balls short into the keepers hands. It's nice to see a player with confidence, shoot on sight, but in tougher games, that will really hurt Kerry if he doesn't convert those chances. It saps morale, and gives the ball straight back to the opposition. I think he needs to do more. He's undoubtedly talented, but he just doesn't seem to be able to push on, it's a pity really. It's the same with the likes of Daithí Casey and Kieran O'Leary. They're all talented footballers, but they just don't seem to push on. Normally Kerry players need no excuse to be confident. It's bred into them from the day they're born. But the likes of O'Leary, Casey just seem to lack that swagger, that confidence

Agreed, there was a lot of efforts that dropped short today and definitely needs to do a bit more recycling anyway. You could see a couple getting frustrated at those efforts today.

I'd agree with O' Leary, he hasn't really pushed on from when he first entered the scene, but Casey definitely has potential to do so. I'm a big fan of his, and considering this is the first season that he's been given a chance, I can see him progressing as time goes on.

Same As wrote: »
    Agreed, there was a lot of efforts that dropped short today and definitely needs to do a bit more recycling anyway. You could see a couple getting frustrated at those efforts today.

I'd agree with O' Leary, he hasn't really pushed on from when he first entered the scene, but Casey definitely has potential to do so. I'm a big fan of his, and considering this is the first season that he's been given a chance, I can see him progressing as time goes on.
    Well there's no doubt that that O'Leary and Casey have the talent, hopefully both of them will kick on this year.

Well there's no doubt that that O'Leary and Casey have the talent, hopefully both of them will kick on this year.

Can't see much more coming from O'Leary really, more potential in Casey and he's more versatile I think.

crowley2.gif

BOOM!

Another victim from a Crowley shoulder after MDMA took one in the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Conor52

Good performance today. Hard to believe that this u21 team lost to cork by 22 points in 2011. 7 started and two more were used subs today. Sherwood on the bench and lyne would be involved if not injured.

1. Brian Kelly (Legion )
    2. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)3. Mark Griffin (St. Michaels Foilmore) Captain 4. David O'Leary (Dr. Crokes)
    5. Jack Sherwood (Firies ) 6. Barry Shanahan (Austin Stacks )7. Jonathan Lyne ( Legion )

8.Thomas Ladden ( Keel ) 9. Edmund Walsh ( Knocknagoshel )

10. James O'Donoghue ( Legion ) 11. Barry John Keane ( Kerins O'Rahillys ) 12. Alan Fitzgerald ( Castlegregory )
    13. Stephen O'Brien ( Kenmare ) 14. Daithí Casey ( Dr. Crokes ) 15. Paul Geaney (Daingean Uí Chúis)

Subs;16. Shane O'Leary (Currow) 17.Pa Kilkenny (Glenbeigh/Glencar) 18. Colm Moriarty (Daingean Uí Chúis)
    19. James Walsh ( Knocknagoshel ) 20.Kieran Hurley ( St Pats Blennerville ) 21. Colm O'Shea ( Firies )
    22. Niall O'Shea ( Dromid Pearses ) 23. James Coffey ( Beaufort ) 24. Barry John Walsh ( Kerins O'Rahillys )

Conor52 wrote: »
    Good performance today. Hard to believe that this u21 team lost to cork by 22 points in 2011. 7 started and two more were used subs today. Sherwood on the bench and lyne would be involved if not injured.

1. Brian Kelly (Legion )
    2. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)3. Mark Griffin (St. Michaels Foilmore) Captain 4. David O'Leary (Dr. Crokes)
    5. Jack Sherwood (Firies ) 6. Barry Shanahan (Austin Stacks )7. Jonathan Lyne ( Legion )

10. James O'Donoghue ( Legion ) 11. Barry John Keane ( Kerins O'Rahillys ) 12. Alan Fitzgerald ( Castlegregory )
    13. Stephen O'Brien ( Kenmare ) 14. Daithí Casey ( Dr. Crokes ) 15. Paul Geaney (Daingean Uí Chúis)

Subs;16. Shane O'Leary (Currow) 17.Pa Kilkenny (Glenbeigh/Glencar) 18. Colm Moriarty (Daingean Uí Chúis)
    19. James Walsh ( Knocknagoshel ) 20.Kieran Hurley ( St Pats Blennerville ) 21. Colm O'Shea ( Firies )
    22. Niall O'Shea ( Dromid Pearses ) 23. James Coffey ( Beaufort ) 24. Barry John Walsh ( Kerins O'Rahillys )
    Jesus, that should have been a class 21's team!

How badly coached must they have been to lose to anyone by 22 points!

An an alternate point, how have Cork not capitalized on their 21 team from that year? Maybe this is the year that they do?

Anyone have their panel from that day?

EDIT: CORK : S Mellet; L Jennings, D Cahalane, A Cronin; P Daly, T Clancy, J Wall; M O’Laoire, A Walsh; C Sheehan, M Collins, J O’Rourke; D Óg Hodnett, B O’Driscoll, P Honohan.

A few strong players: Cahalane, Clancy, Aidan Walsh, Sheehan, Mark Collins, Hodnett and O'Driscoll were all lethal at that level.

I'd imagine we got cleaned out around the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Conor52

An an alternate point, how have Cork not capitalized on their 21 team from that year? Maybe this is the year that they do?

EDIT: CORK : S Mellet; L Jennings, D Cahalane, A Cronin; P Daly, T Clancy, J Wall; M O’Laoire, A Walsh; C Sheehan, M Collins, J O’Rourke; D Óg Hodnett, B O’Driscoll, P Honohan.

A few strong players: Cahalane, Clancy, Aidan Walsh, Sheehan, Mark Collins, Hodnett and O'Driscoll were all lethal at that level.

yeah, as far as I can remember walsh, Sheehan were awesome and we were suckered with a few early goals and dropped the heads. Cork went on to be beaten by galway in the semi I think.

They got bossed around, most of the Kerry team were extremely light then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is it possible to watch the game back on the TG4 website yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

. So recent evidence suggests that Kerry are not a good in big games in Croke Park as some people think..

beaten by the all ireland champions 3 years in a row, those 3 games were level, -1 and level going into the 70th minute.

second best is no good in any place, but id rather be there year in year out, than having the odd day out in the sun as 80-90% of counties in ireland have to put up with.

Dublin are better than us right now, there is no shame in that and are the best team over the past 5 years...we are second.

keane2097 wrote: »

Not yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

keane2097 wrote: »

i think they become available from 10 o clock tonight but its usually late sunday night before they are uploaded on there player

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Conor52 wrote: »

1. Brian Kelly (Legion )

That was an excellent team in fairness. Hard to believe that they lost by that margin. Who was manager at the time? Was it John Kennedy? Fitzmaurice took over the year after.

Kerry Under 21 Team v Cork

The Kerry Under 21 Team to play Cork in the Cadburys Munster Under 21 Quarter Final at Tralee’s Austin Stack Park on Wednesday has been named. The team includes four of the side beaten by Cork at the same stage last year - Shane Murphy, Padraig Ó Sé, Tadhg Morley and Shaun Keane - while Kieran Murphy was introduced as a sub during that game. Both Padraig Ó Conchúir and Greg Horan played with Kerry Minors last year. There are three sets of brothers involved – the Keanes from Killarney Legion, the Crowleys from Templenoe and the Murphys from Kilcummin.
    Nathan Breen of Beaufort, the only representative on the panel from County Champions Mid Kerry, captains the side.

The team is as follows:

1. Shane Murphy Kilcummin
    2. Nathan Breen (Capt) Beaufort
    3. Gavin Crowley Templenoe
    4. Jack McGuire Listowel Emmets
    5. Padraigh Ó Conchúir Dingle
    6. Padraigh Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    7. Tadhg Morley Templenoe
    8. Kieran Murphy Kilcummin
    9. Shaun Keane Killarney Legion
    10. Greg Horan Austin Stacks
    11. Gary O’Leary Kilcummin
    12. Adrian Spillane Templenoe
    13. Thomas Hickey Desmonds
    14. James Crean Annascaul
    15. Ciarán Keating Skellig Rangers
    Subs:
    16. Gavin Curran Dingle
    17. Conor Jordan Austin Stacks
    18. Jeff O’Donoghue Glenflesk
    19. Niall Sheehy John Mitchels
    20. Conor Keane Killarney Legion
    21. Denis Daly St Marys
    22. Jack Savage Kerins O’Rahillys
    23. Cillian Fitzgerald Churchill
    24. Sean T. Dillon St Senans
    Additional Panel Members
    25. Cathal Ó Lúing An Ghaeltacht
    26. Michael O’Connor Derrynane
    27. Jack Barry Na Gaeil
    28. Eanna Ó Conchúir An Ghaeltacht
    29. David Foran St Senans
    30. Gavin O’Shea Dr Crokes
    31. Brian Crowley Templenoe

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

have they a chance of beating Cork the next night?

seems like a long long time ago now since we even won a munster u-21.

It's certainly not the best U21 team we've had in recent years but you'd be hoping Darragh has them well prepared. I think we're rather weak in defense I'm a bit suprised Morley isn't centre back with Padraig Og on the wing. I'd also have Cillian Fitz in the corner instead of HIckey as I think he's a bit light.

I'll go watch in hope rather than expectation. I don't know much about the Cork team to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It's certainly not the best U21 team we've had in recent years but you'd be hoping Darragh has them well prepared. I think we're rather weak in defense I'm a bit suprised Morley isn't centre back with Padraig Og on the wing. I'd also have Cillian Fitz in the corner instead of HIckey as I think he's a bit light.

I'll go watch in hope rather than expectation. I don't know much about the Cork team to be honest.

Not bad, good chance of winning and winning Munster, but that will be it I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement