Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Typical response from a guy that cant stick to the debate,makes a slight on the writing and the username

I would rather think too much then unlike some clearly by having no info to add ,you have a problem with respect thinking gaa at allg

:confused::confused::confused::confused: im only pointing out something obvious, your posts are very very hard to understand.

if you want people to respect, you need to show some also.

Yeah, the hurlers have done well. Both Carlow and Kerry have the top 2 places sewn up. It's not mathematically possible for them to be caught. Kerry v Carlow this weekend will just be a bit of shadow boxing. I'd imagine Limerick will be the venue for the 2A final. Some achievement for Kerry to make the final ahead of 2 McCarthy Cup teams.

whats the deal with promotion, one team going up after a semi and final involving 2b?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Cork now gone into 4/6 with Paddypower, 8/11 with Boyles, much as I predicted.

Perfect evening for a game in fairness, so no blaming conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

whats the deal with promotion, one team going up after a semi and final involving 2b?
    No Semi AFAIK.

Kerry v Carlow in the 2A final winner goes up.

Promotion from 2A goes to 1B

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

DDC1990 wrote: »
    No Semi AFAIK.

Kerry v Carlow in the 2A final winner goes up.

Promotion from 2A goes to 1B
    That's good. I reckon Kerry will have a great chance against Carlow. It would be great to see them move up a division. Kerry were really unlucky against Down last year in the Christy Ring. Kerry hurlers deserve a bit of success now

• Advertisement

Under 21s lost by 4. 0-18 to 2-8. Were up 2-4 to 0-7 at halftime.

8 pts is a poor total really. We only got 7 in corresponding fixture last year aswell. You'd have to question the coaching, given we've had some excellent forwards in the 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Under 21s lost by 4. 0-18 to 2-8. Were up 2-4 to 0-7 at halftime.

8 pts is a poor total really. We only got 7 in corresponding fixture last year aswell. You'd have to question the coaching, given we've had some excellent forwards in the 2 years.
    Really, I thought Dara Ó Sé was doing a good job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

whats the deal with promotion one team going up after a semi and final involving 2b?

Only 1A and 1B are linked, the rest are straight finals by the top 2.

The 2A final winner however does not gain direct promotion. They'll get have to play off against the 1B relegation final loser. Seems ridiculous to win your division and not get promoted but that's the hurling league in a nutshell!

Kerry U21's
    Disappointing loss. They never snuffed out the danger of McEoin.

is it just me, or have we pretty much drawn cork almost every year in recent years in the championship and more to the point, actually lost to them every year?

its 6 years now since we won it, and id say weve lost to cork 5 of those 6 years or not far off it and alot of them have been in the first round.

poor showing at the moment, its a sign why our seniors have regressed so much. indeed, Cork have won 9 of the last 11 which is startling...there is something seriously wrong with this level in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Can have no complaints, Cork were simply the better team on the night. However one thing struck me as I was leaving the game. Thomas Hickey was Kerry's best forward by a mile in the 2nd half, and looked a real player. Yet Billy Morgan didn't even think enough of him to use him as a sub to come on for UCC in the Sigurson this year. Strange one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

buyer95 wrote: »
    Can have no complaints, Cork were simply the better team on the night. However one thing struck me as I was leaving the game. Thomas Hickey was Kerry's best forward by a mile in the 2nd half, and looked a real player. Yet Billy Morgan didn't even think enough of him to use him as a sub to come on for UCC in the Sigurson this year. Strange one.

Are you thinking Billy Morgan didn't bring him on because he was from Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

is it just me, or have we pretty much drawn cork almost every year in recent years in the championship and more to the point, actually lost to them every year?

its 6 years now since we won it, and id say weve lost to cork 5 of those 6 years or not far off it and alot of them have been in the first round.

poor showing at the moment, its a sign why our seniors have regressed so much. indeed, Cork have won 9 of the last 11 which is startling...there is something seriously wrong with this level in Kerry.

I'm not sure if it has changed much or not but when I was playing underage the U21 Championship in Kerry was an awful joke, can't help.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Are you thinking Billy Morgan didn't bring him on because he was from Kerry?

Not at all, sure Billy has won all his Sigursons the last few years on the back of many Kerrymen;)
    What I am saying is, I simply cannot understand how a forward of Hickey's quality would not have been worth 10 minutes in the semi final and final, whether he be from Kerry or feckin Killkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

A good number of the Cork side are underage again next year which should give further cause for concern

2 Munster u-21 titles in 15 years. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Cork have 10. now THAT is alarming, considering that we won 8 Minor titles in that time, Cork only 4.

there is something seriously wrong between 18-21 in Kerry right now and this is where our biggest challenge lies for the future, Cork just seem to be getting more out of their players once they leave minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Not at all, sure Billy has won all his Sigursons the last few years on the back of many Kerrymen;)
    What I am saying is, I simply cannot understand how a forward of Hickey's quality would not have been worth 10 minutes in the semi final and final, whether he be from Kerry or feckin Killkenny.

Thomas Hickey is too small for Billy's style of football. We all know Cork managers love picking big fellas who'll bully their opponents. :)

Thomas Hickey is too small for Billy's style of football. We all know Cork managers love picking big fellas who'll bully their opponents. :)

we need to start breeding a few big men ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

If that boll*x is to be believed then why is alan cronin playing at 11 with ucc.Have a look at a picture before you answer.It makes ye look bitter and sour to criticise Corks greatest managers ever,and the timing of it is bizzare,3 weeks later.

I would be more worried on why ye were outscored 11 to 4 in the 2nd half,16 to 1-5 from play in the game .Just 6 scores from play.

And no mention of yere friend from 2012,Keith o brien who tried to rob us then ,and again last night when he kept ye in the game longer than ye should gve been.

I have too much respect for geuine fans here which is why i didnt gloat , after last night game.

But when you read comments regard Corks physicaity,like we have no talent.16 points from play shows the skill level without Vaughan,oakes a half fit brian o driscoll and sugrue who passed a late fitness test to play.

Ye have plenty to worry about than Corks physicality.

Kerry were outhought and outplayed last night.If physicality was an advantage it didnt do the giant murphy any good ,as he was quiet last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

It was a joke bud. Relax.

Most Kerry supporters agreed that this was a poor Kerry team and we were going into the game in hope rather than expectation. As expected Cork were far too good for Kerry and the scoreline flattered us having scored two goals against the run of play.

If that boll*x is to be believed then why is alan cronin playing at 11 with ucc.Have a look at a picture before you answer.It makes ye look bitter and sour to criticise Corks greatest managers ever,and the timing of it is bizzare,3 weeks later.

I would be more worried on why ye were outscored 11 to 4 in the 2nd half,16 to 1-5 from play in the game .Just 6 scores from play.

And no mention of yere friend from 2012,Keith o brien who tried to rob us then ,and again last night when he kept ye in the game longer than ye should gve been.

I have too much respect for geuine fans here which is why i didnt gloat , after last night game.

But when you read comments regard Corks physicaity,like we have no talent.16 points from play shows the skill level without Vaughan,oakes a half fit brian o driscoll and sugrue who passed a late fitness test to play.

Ye have plenty to worry about than Corks physicality.

Kerry were outhought and outplayed last night.If physicality was an advantage it didnt do the giant murphy any good ,as he was quiet last night.

Man alive, you're so far out of line about this game it's hard to believe.

Everyone in this thread told you Cork were expected to be way too good for Kerry. Your judgement on the game was a million miles away besides saying that the ref would be bad which has been agreed with by every Kerry person I've spoken to on the matter, who say that only for him the margin would have been much greater.

Physicality you seem to have turned into some sort of insult out of some strange desire to be offended - being physically superior is to be admired and is striven towards by all teams. Cork were utterly dominant in this regard last night and are rightly being commended for it everywhere you care to look.

Your respect for the genuine fans on this thread extended to refraining from gloating for all of 16 hours. I suggest you take a step back from talking about this game for a couple of hours until you've had a chance to reassess what you have been saying and what everyone else has been saying all week.
    You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offence, isn’t it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill — he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offence, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it, and so pass to genuine vindictiveness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It was a joke bud. Relax.

Most Kerry supporters agreed that this was a poor Kerry team and we were going into the game in hope rather than expectation. As expected Cork were far too good for Kerry and the scoreline flattered us having scored two goals against the run of play.

The vast majority of them certainly did - which is a worry from a Kerry point of view. The stats on U21 in the last 15-20 years are fairly interesting, I think Cork are only 1 behind Kerry on Munster titles at that grade - I would have thought there would have been way more.

Transferring from that grade to Senior is the key. Kerry have had a predominantly settled senior team - with success - in recent years, that has changed now between injuries, emigration and retirements. The quality of players coming through is simply not seen at U21, yet Kerry will still be hard to beat for the vast majority of inter county teams this summer. Sam won't cross the Kerry border for a good few years I believe but ye will still be there or there abouts, but not quite good enough I think.

The vast majority of them certainly did - which is a worry from a Kerry point of view. The stats on U21 in the last 15-20 years are fairly interesting, I think Cork are only 1 behind Kerry on Munster titles at that grade - I would have thought there would have been way more.

Transferring from that grade to Senior is the key. Kerry have had a predominantly settled senior team - with success - in recent years, that has changed now between injuries, emigration and retirements. The quality of players coming through is simply not seen at U21, yet Kerry will still be hard to beat for the vast majority of inter county teams this summer. Sam won't cross the Kerry border for a good few years I believe but ye will still be there or there abouts, but not quite good enough I think.

I wouldn't be unduly worried, as was pointed out during the week an U21 featuring several who have gone on to look like very good senior players even at this early stage of their careers.

U21 is a bit of a strange grade for some reason.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Man alive, you're so far out of line about this game it's hard to believe.

Everyone in this thread told you Cork were expected to be way too good for Kerry. Your judgement on the game was a million miles away besides saying that the ref would be bad which has been agreed with by every Kerry person I've spoken to on the matter, who say that only for him the margin would have been much greater.

Physicality you seem to have turned into some sort of insult out of some strange desire to be offended - being physically superior is to be admired and is striven towards by all teams. Cork were utterly dominant in this regard last night and are rightly being commended for it everywhere you care to look.

Your respect for the genuine fans on this thread extended to refraining from gloating for all of 16 hours. I suggest you take a step back from talking about this game for a couple of hours until you've had a chance to reassess what you have been saying and what everyone else has been saying all week.

I had to laugh when I saw his first post after the game.."I called everything right"..was basically the upshot of it!

For the benefit of Cork fans reading this, there are 2 types of comment which need to be distinguished from one another:
    - The Weeshie-esque comment that "Cork's big strong fellas kicked us around the place"..which, I agree is a total misrepresentation and deserves to be sneered at. Cork's BETTER PREPARED SQUAD beat us, end of.

- Informed comment, that Cork Under 21 teams appear to have undergone superior Strength & Conditioning programs in the last 5 years, leading to a better conditioned, more finely honed individual AND squad. As Keane says, this is a compliment and not a backhanded one. I happen to know that Sean McKeown, a very highly qualified man, was working with the Cork 21s for several months now, and it shows. Kerry have either disregarded or not taken this aspect of preparation seriously enough for a few years at underage level.
    Some people delude themselves into thinking it's about picking bigger/stronger players..it's not. It's about picking the best players at all age groups from 16 upwards and putting them through the best training regime to turn them into power athletes.

To be honest, as I stated several times, I expected this defeat as this Kerry squad was down on quality even from last year. Doesn't make it easier to take, but like I said on paper AND on the field, Cork were better. Some of the gloating on the Cork thread and elsewhere is hilarious. TTM is talking like this defeat is the end of Kerry football or something. :rolleyes:
    Yes, we are in the middle of a bad 5 year spell at under 21 and this needs to be improved massively. The future is not totally bleak however. This years minors will be a good team I'm fairly confident. Last year Kerry teams won all the underage development squad tournaments in Munster (U-14/15/16), so things are hopefully improving.

I think the ironic thing Shamo, is that Kerry have had potentially decent under 21 teams that were just prepared terribly. The Kerry team that Cork annihilated in 2011 was one of the best of the last 10 years on paper! Cork had a superb team that year and even with the best possible preparation, Kerry might not have beaten them, but there is no way there should have been 24 points or whatever it was between them. I think 7 or 8 of that Kerry squad have appeared at Senior level already and have shown they are decent footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I wouldnt say was a million miles off..Davis was tighter than i thought,and Murphy was poor in i expected way more from yere lad .

The cork full back line was trouble any time fast ball went in ,but ye kicked long high ball in time and again .

Yere half back line was very good.
    I said Mac eoin would cause crowley huge prolems and he did.4 four play.

I said Harrington wouldnt score but play deep and he did ,and o sullivan wouldnt last the game -he had a role to do.,he did.

Cadogan i wasnt confident he would get a huge score,if you read my preview,i said he had the talent to do so.
    Thats what my worry was where would we score more.We got every inch out of our panel ,yere subs didnt sparkle .Keane and daly i expected way more when they came on .I was wrong and glad to be there.I am delighted i was.

Our half back line of crowley and white ,was superb and i said they would be.O driscoll wasnt fit.

Kiely had done the role i expected.

I said it would be tight and we would be beat,vaughan,oakes,Sugrue was injured ,and o driscoll was clearly injuured or carrying an injury ,and i couldnt see us winning .
    As i said in the preview im bold and honest to say my views before a game,i dont sit on the fence and and then after the game ,words of wisdom .So yes i got the result wrong,and i am glad i did.

I made a call and the game panned out how i expected in most aeras bar us to Dominate the middle and and Cadgogan to be proflic and Davis was solid .

I said sugrue would go in full forward and he did ,he was superb in there towards the end.

I said vaughan would be missed on the dead balls ,and he was .

Its fine to say a team are phyiscal but like Mickey Ned,said when cork beat kerry minors ,it was cork were bigger,and he said would improve with dry ground as they had footballers light on there feet implying we werent.Harry o neill said cork were physical last night

Why not mention the superb football we played is my point.It was the same in cinnede article last year,and i have great time the man,said cork v galway ,that Cork were more less a physical team and had no footballers.Fine if its true but it wasnt ..

I wasnt gloating.Simply responding to a comment regards Morgan ,and the sigerson ,3 weeks old,that had nothing to do with last night match ,and i found it strange for lads to mention that after the loss.Ye lost the match.Morgan and sigerson had zero to do with the game .

And this attuide u21 doesnt hughely matter i beg to differ.That same mantra has Cork Hurling where it is today .Of Course as Dublin ,clare ,Donegal,Tyroyne,Mayo proved you must be at least winning provincal titles.Cork would have won more at senior ,but for couinhan .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Very impressed with him last night but he isnt better that Conor Cox or Paul Geaney and that Quinlivan fella is meant to be good. Hickey isnt better than those 3 plus Sigerson is probably a step higher than U21 level.

closeline wrote: »
    Very impressed with him last night but he isnt better that Conor Cox or Paul Geaney and that Quinlivan fella is meant to be good. Hickey isnt better than those 3 plus Sigerson is probably a step higher than U21 level.

Yeah I agree that he isn't better than any of those fellas, but that wasn't my point. I didn't say he deserved a starting position, I said I found it baffling that he saw no action at all, not even from the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

James O'Donaghue is class.

Congrats to the lads, great win on a tight pitch.

Look seriously sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

DDC1990 wrote: »
    James O'Donaghue is class.

Congrats to the lads, great win on a tight pitch.

Look seriously sharp.
    He is top class alright. Any team meeting Kerry will need their sharpest man marker on him. Can win a game on his own.

• Advertisement

Another good performance and win yesterday in Newbridge. Could have won by a lot more to be honest. Kildare are weak at the back. Missing their best defender Kelly and a few others in fairness, but struggled all day to come out of defence when put under even token pressure.

JOD is pretty much unmarkable in current form. Got 1-5 yesterday and could have had 2-10 easily. Marc struggled with Brophy in 1st half,but got to grips after half time. Rest of the defenders weren't troubled unduly. Pa Kilkenny couldn't start which was disappointing as he was coming into form, but Enright came back in and did very well on Mulhall who I would have worried about on form. Stephen O'Brien did very well but lost composure in front of goal a bit and should have had more than 2 points. Can't fault him so far though, he's been a real plus. Moran was very good in fairness yesterday, much better than in his supposed MOM performance last week! Maher is a worry though..he was poor as he has been all league in my eyes.

Should beat Westmeath now to set up a tasty clash with Cork in Tralee which could lead to a league semi. The curve is upwards thankfully!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement