Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

PaulieC wrote: »
    True - especially about Bohane - he deserves a shot - O'Shea can't play full back - he doesn't mark tightly enough to be in such a central position we found that out against Mayo in the league - wing back I'd say. Who could you replace Mahony with though and O'Sullivan - two central positions

I don't think I saw that game in the league I've only seen O'Shea for Mid Kerry mainly so I'll take your word for that. Do you think he's got enough pace for wing back? He's certainly good enough technically imo...

Tom O'Sullivan I think is probably good enough to hold his place assuming the half back line was sorted out. As it stands he's probably shown up more often since we're coming under pressure from opposition half backs and forwards attacking us so effectively.

I don't really know who to replace AOM with tbh, I just know it has to be someone with pace...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

keane2097 wrote: »
    I don't think I saw that game in the league I've only seen O'Shea for Mid Kerry mainly so I'll take your word for that. Do you think he's got enough pace for wing back? He's certainly good enough technically imo...

Tom O'Sullivan I think is probably good enough to hold his place

I'm afraid TOS has passed his 'sell by' date imo. Mahoney, as an improving player, may not have performed against Cork in the replay ( he was carrying an injury into the match ) however, I think he could be converted into a full-back, strong, good fielder of the ball, quick and a fine passer.

I'd agree that both Bohane and Aidan O Shea would both fit the bill for filling the other vacant positions. Don't think Reidy is worth his place tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Same As wrote: »
    I'm afraid TOS has passed his 'sell by' date imo. Mahoney, as an improving player, may not have performed against Cork in the replay ( he was carrying an injury into the match ) however, I think he could be converted into a full-back, strong, good fielder of the ball, quick and a fine passer.

I'd agree that both Bohane and Aidan O Shea would both fit the bill for filling the other vacant positions. Don't think Reidy is worth his place tbh.

I'm not sure I agree with "improving" as an adjective for AOM - tbh I think his level of performance has been deteriorating for maybe two years. Some of his displays last year in particular were far from impressive imo. I don't mind the idea of trying him at full back, although I have a vague idea that maybe it was tried before at some point?

Like I said, Bohane would be a great addition but he's seemingly never going to be fit...

manster wrote: »
    Anbody know for definite when the draw for the 2nd Round Qualifiers is on?

Its on the Sunday of the Leinster football final, 12th of July I think.

@Keane2097

I'd agree with the fact that he has performed poorly of late but I reckon he has a lot more to offer than Tom O Sullivan does, whether he's in form or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

That can't be right as on the 11th July - GAA Football All-Ireland Championship Qualifier Round 2 is scheduled

I'm assuming the draw then is on the weekend of the 4th July.

No indication on the GAA site either.

GAA doesn't give fans much time to book trips for away matches it seems.

• Advertisement

That can't be right as on the 11th July - GAA Football All-Ireland Championship Qualifier Round 2 is scheduled

I'm assuming the draw then is on the weekend of the 4th July.

No indication on the GAA site either.

GAA doesn't give fans much time to book trips for away matches it seems.

Thats what I thought it said on TV Chee today after the Dublin V Westmuck game? Could have mistaken it for the Qualifier round 3 draw though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Same As wrote: »
    Thats what I thought it said on TV Chee today after the Dublin V Westmuck game? Could have mistaken it for the Qualifier round 3 draw though?
    It's next Sunday, after the Leinster hurling final on TV3.

Knew it had something to do with the Leinster Final alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Anbody know for definite when the draw for the 2nd Round Qualifiers is on?

i think my granny is giving it a shot after dinner tomorrow. she reckons she'll have it done before hq... im backing granny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

First round Qualifiers on the 4th. Draw for second round on that night.
    Second round qualifers on the 11th.
    Third round on 18th.
    Fourth round 25th.

Basically if you want to win it via back door, you have to play/win four weeks in a row :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I agree with "improving" as an adjective for AOM - tbh I think his level of performance has been deteriorating for maybe two years. Some of his displays last year in particular were far from impressive imo. I don't mind the idea of trying him at full back, although I have a vague idea that maybe it was tried before at some point?

Like I said, Bohane would be a great addition but he's seemingly never going to be fit...

AOM was tried at full back in the league - had a solid game against Derry away - even scored a point with a good run. He seems to have chosen power over speed and agility - which means any fast player or one who can turn quickly will wreck him. As strong as he's gotten he was a much better all round player 3 years ago and he's gone well back since. As for TOS - not past his sell by date but the full back line has come under fire recently, himself and Reidy are two very good backs but they must feel like they're kicking the ball off a brick wall every time they clear their lines due to our half back line and half forward lines inability to win ball. Declan O' Sullivan spent half his time in his own half scrounging for ball agains Cork sure!

Monaghan v Derry
    Wicklow v Cavan
    Longford v Kerry
    Down v Laois
    Donegal v Clare
    Westmeath v Meath
    Wexford v Roscommon
    Tipperary v Sligo

Longford v Kerry
    Could be a lot worse. It's actually perfect for me - only 90 minutes from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Longford v Kerry
    Could be a lot worse. It's actually perfect for me - only 90 minutes from Dublin

yeah next Saturday but I really don't forsee any big kerry supporter turnout, maybe a handful of buses from TheKingdom, if at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭AMixedBag

Monaghan v Derry
    Wicklow v Cavan
    Longford v Kerry
    Down v Laois
    Donegal v Clare
    Westmeath v Meath
    Wexford v Roscommon
    Tipperary v Sligo

Longford v Kerry

I'd say you'll be the only Kerryman showing up, my friend.
    Except for the players of course.;)

Any idea what kind of changes will be made since our last outing? I'm hoping to see Moran brought into midfield starting, Darran O' Sullivan in the full forward line although with Keneally & Galvin out he'll prob slot in there with D.Walsh. I think his pace in the full forward line is needed to offer a serious threat in front of goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

will see a few surprised no doubt, how long did paul galvin get? if he got a month, how come he cant play? suspensions normally 4 weeks - the night before, which means is up on Friday. howeer, i think its possibly down to the rule that you must miss at least one championship game i think.

will star play the next day?

id play

murphy
    marc mike mac tom sullivan
    thomas aidan killian
    griffan darragh
    declan walsh darran sul
    gooch star sheehan

I can't see the why you'd pick Daragh and Tommy midfield when it was such a major problem area for us against Cork, I think K.Young is injured with a shoulder problem but not certain how long he's been out and whether or not he'll feature. I'd choose the following

Murphy
    P.Reidy
    A.O'Mahony
    T.Sullivan
    A.O'Shea
    M.O'Shea
    K.Young(if available if not T.O'Shea)
    D.Moran
    T.Griffin
    Dec.O'Sullivan
    C.Cooper
    D.Walsh
    Dar.O'Sullivan
    B.Sheahan
    T.Walsh

I expect to get a few comments for putting Cooper centre forward but his distribution is top notch and good quick ball is what we need. Sheahan in full forward is a good fielder and can take his scores and with Darran you've got pace.Not to mention Tommy's ability to cause wreck when fit.

Yeah galvin will miss it next week as he has to miss one championship game.
    Very interesting article by Paidi in todays Independent. Basically says he would never play Tommy inside the full forward line as he causes an inbalance in there with Gooch. Also sees Tadgh playing centre back as he slows the game down when playing in the forwards. Have to say that I agree on both points.
    I like your team there Homer with one exception. I'd drop Murphy for Reidy and I'd give Daragh and Quirke a half each at midfield. I assume thats T Walsh instead of Donnacha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

I'd like too see the following but i know it won't happen.

G.Reidy
    P.Reidy
    D.Bohane
    T.Sullivan
    M.O'Sé (Deserves to be let loose @half back for his excellent runs forward)
    T.Griffin (Poor in the replay but i feel there's more to come from him in 09)
    T.O'Sé
    D.Moran
    S.Scanlon
    Sean.O'Sullivan
    Dec.O'Sullivan
    T.Walsh
    C.Cooper (Awful in the replay but worth a go to see if he can find form)
    K.Donaghy
    Darren O'Sullivan

Mike McCarthy in as a sub @ full back or centre back with 20 minutes remaining.

Paul O'Connor in for Gooch if Gooch decides to stay behind his man with his hand in the air. If Gooch decides to play, i'd still replace him with O'Connor with 15 minutes to go.

A.o'Shea in for Tomás.
    Quirke for Moran with 10/15 minutes remaining
    BJ Walsh for Darren O'Sullivan with 10 minutes remaining

Not Considered;
    Tadgh(injury)
    Galvin (suspended)

Donaghy won't be fit in time for this one, possibly the following week if we get through. Marc O Se is still touch and go.

Anyone hear any times yet? Heard 7oc which would be a right disaster for all travelling.

• Advertisement

Longford GAA website says the match is at 5pm next Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

i think its gonna be on tv3

judging by this picture:

http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=gaa

I'd like too see the following but i know it won't happen.

G.Reidy
    P.Reidy
    D.Bohane
    T.Sullivan
    M.O'Sé (Deserves to be let loose @half back for his excellent runs forward)
    T.Griffin (Poor in the replay but i feel there's more to come from him in 09)
    T.O'Sé
    D.Moran
    S.Scanlon
    Sean.O'Sullivan
    Dec.O'Sullivan
    T.Walsh
    C.Cooper (Awful in the replay but worth a go to see if he can find form)
    K.Donaghy
    Darren O'Sullivan

Not Considered;
    Tadgh(injury)
    Galvin (suspended)

Don't think Scanlons fit - otherwise I'd have him midfield with Moran as you have it and I would also have Bohane in the full back line if he wasn't constantly injured.

No official source but I'm told Quirke will be starting (or at least named there) at full forward on Sat. Not sure this is the answer to our problems.

careca wrote: »
    No official source but I'm told Quirke will be starting (or at least named there) at full forward on Sat. Not sure this is the answer to our problems.

Wasn't he tried at full forward before and it didn't work out? This is going back a few years mind. Agreed that it isn't the solution, Sheahan should be tried there imo

Quirke has been badly messed about in the last couple of matches. Don't know why he didn't play in the replay against Cork or at least come on for Tommy aas he was obviously not 100%. I think he would be a great foil for Cooper as full forward (sorry PaulieC I know you're rooting for Sheehan in that position but he just doesn't have the 50/50 ball winning abilities)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

careca wrote: »
    Anyone hear any times yet? Heard 7oc which would be a right disaster for all travelling.
    I thought Kerry fans didn't travel until the third sunday in September? ;)

grenache wrote: »
    I thought Kerry fans didn't travel until the third sunday in September? ;)

:)

That date seems so far away at this stage ;)

Latest rumour.

Team (and there are some shocks).

DM

Tom Sull, Tommy Griffin, Killian Young
    Tomas, Marc (if fit), Aiden O'Shea (No O'Mahony :eek:)

Dara and Seamus Scanlon

Donn Walsh, Declan, Tommy Walsh (although not certain)
    Gooch, Quirke and one from three (Darren, Barry John, Bryan Sheehan).

Again, take this with as much salt as necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

that looks good to me.

Ill be happy if he does drop o mahony, playing very poor....needs that kick up the ass at least.

Id love if he picked that team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement