Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Do you think Cork or Kerry will care too much about this game. Kerry could do with reaching a semi-final and getting a few more competitive games ahead of the championship, especially for the likes of Donnaghy and maybe Killian Young as next week's game will be too early for them. But Kerry will need other results to go their way to reach the semi-finals, so it might turn into more of a practice game

I don't think so, think this one will be more intense than last year's game (which was awful) as Kerry have a chance, if even an outside one of making the semis and Cuthbert will surely want a marker laid down in his first game against Kerry.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I'd start with:
    Kelly
    Murphy
    Griffin
    Enright
    Crowley
    Fionn
    Marc
    Maher
    Moran
    Casey
    Sheehan
    Donnacha
    Darren
    Geaney
    JO'D

A little tough on O'Brien, but Darren looks to be getting sharper and could do with the big game. Sheehan on the other-hand would be lucky to keep his place, but I'd give him the benifit of the doubt that Sunday was an off day and his performances against Tyrone and Kildare are more like him.

If not I'd have Casey at 11, Darren at 10 and O'Brien at 13.

Bit of a conundrum now that you mention it. Casey, O'Brien, Sheehan, Darran all could do with starting for varied reasons. Geaney can't be dropped. JOD is a certain starter, as is Walsh I think. Declan is meant to be chomping at the bit aswell. Won an AI interfirm with Leibherr last Saturday and moving well apprently.

Lot of options in the forward line, problem is getting the positioning and balance right.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I don't think so, think this one will be more intense than last year's game (which was awful) as Kerry have a chance, if even an outside one of making the semis and Cuthbert will surely want a marker laid down in his first game against Kerry.
    I think the opposite because I don't think Fitzmaurice or Cuthbert will want to give anything away ahead of their more important game in the Munster Final in July. That's going to be the game that matters

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I think the opposite because I don't think Fitzmaurice or Cuthbert will want to give anything away ahead of their more important game in the Munster Final in July. That's going to be the game that matters

Ah yeah, but neither team are at full strength for Sunday, so I think the players that do line up will want to lay down a bit of a marker. The ball is in Cuthberts court really I suppose as I'm quite sure Eamonn Fitz wouldn't mind a crack at another 2 competitive games and the team will reflect that. If Cuthbert goes with last years tactic of picking an experimental lineup, Kerry will almost certainly win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Ah yeah, but neither team are at full strength for Sunday, so I think the players that do line up will want to lay down a bit of a marker. The ball is in Cuthberts court really I suppose as I'm quite sure Eamonn Fitz wouldn't mind a crack at another 2 competitive games and the team will reflect that. If Cuthbert goes with last years tactic of picking an experimental lineup, Kerry will almost certainly win.

Kerry will most likely win anyway and Cork will be without their U21 players ahead of the Munster Final v Tipp the following Wednesday

• Advertisement

I think Kerry will win too. Walsh will be missing again because of a hamstring problem. I think Cuthbert will experiment, and I think Kerry still have a chance of making the semi-finals, and will be going for the win more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I wouldn't be for dropping O'Brien just to give someone else a game. There on merit IMO.

If we really think we need guys to get games under their belt better to drop James, Donnchadh etc - the guys who don't need games and who one extra league game isn't going to make a difference to in terms of confidence/experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

keane2097 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be for dropping O'Brien just to give someone else a game. There on merit IMO.

If we really think we need guys to get games under their belt better to drop James, Donnchadh etc - the guys who don't need games and who one extra league game isn't going to make a difference to in terms of confidence/experience.
    He's been doing well, but struggles to win his own ball.

Would be more effective coming on with 20 minutes to go when there is more space, and defenders are a little bit more tired.

Darren would be more effective early game IMO.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    He's been doing well, but struggles to win his own ball.

Would be more effective coming on with 20 minutes to go when there is more space, and defenders are a little bit more tired.

Darren would be more effective early game IMO.

Ah I think you're being hard on him, and even though there's obviously a bit to the criticism I think confidence and experience will help a forward a lot in the early stages of his career in terms of figuring out how to get on the ball at this higher level than what he's been used to.

The thing of bringing young lads on for 20 minutes as a way of blooding them has been the graveyard of a lot of developing players IMO.

Interview with David Geaney here about life playing his football in Meath and a bit about how he sees Meath club football compared to Kerry:

www.livegaelic.com/features/dingle-dunboyne-aiming-keegan-cup-glory/

Few of ye might find it interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

keane2097 wrote: »
    The thing of bringing young lads on for 20 minutes as a way of blooding them has been the graveyard of a lot of developing players IMO.

I think a distinction has to be made between in terms of bringing youngsters on as subs after the 60/65 minute mark in games when the jig is up (either won or lost) [garbage minutes is what they are called in the US] versus bringing them on with 20/25 minutes to go (or even earlier) where there is some sort of possibility of them getting some sort of reasonable chance to have an impact.

3 changes to Kerry team for Sunday (I'm reliably informed!): Maher for Buckley, Casey for Sheehan, Donnacha for Johnny Lyne.

1. Kelly
    2. Murphy
    3. Griffin
    4. Enright
    5. Crowley
    6. Fitzgerald
    7. Marc
    8. Moran
    9. Maher
    10. Walsh
    11. Casey
    12. O'Leary (C)
    13. O'Donoghue
    14. Geaney
    15. O'Brien

Strong team. half forward line looks a bit imbalanced and it'll be a good test for the fulllback line also.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

full press release....
    The team is as follows:
    1.Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    2.Paul Murphy Rathmore
    3.Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore
    4.Shane Enright Tarbert
    5.Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
    6.Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes
    7.Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    8.Anthony Maher Duagh
    9.David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
    10.Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    11.Daithí Casey Dr Crokes
    12.Kieran O’Leary (Capt)Dr Crokes
    13.Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    14.Paul Geaney Dingle
    15.James O’Donoghue Killarney Legion

Fir Ionaid:
    16.Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
    17.Bryan Sheehan St Marys
    18.Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
    19.Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh Glencar
    20.Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
    21.Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
    22.Jack Sherwood Firies
    23.Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
    24.Michael Geaney Dingle
    25.Brian McGuire Listowel Emmets
    26.Pa Kilkenny Glenbeigh/Glencar

Bainisteóir: Eamonn Fitzmaurice(Finuge)
    Traenálaí: Cian O’Neill (Moorefield, Kildare)
    Róghnóirí: Diarmuid Ó Murchú (Daingean Uí Chúis), Mikey Sheehy (Austin Stacks).

Additional Player/Team Information

Extended Panel Members
    David Culhane Ballylongford
    Conor Cox Listowel Emmets
    Alan Fitzgerald Castlegregory
    James Walsh Knocknagoshel
    Shane O’Callaghan Austin Stacks
    Paul O’Donoghue St Marys

Rehabbing from Injury
    Kieran Donaghy Austin Stacks
    Killian Young Renard (Played 1st Club Game last weekend)
    Colm Cooper Dr Crokes

Extended Break
    Declan O’Sullivan Dromid Pearses (Due Back Training Tuesday next)
    •Paul Murphy (Rathmore) Played with the Kerry Under 21s in 2012 and played Sigerson Cup with UCC last year. He won a Kerry Club Championship (senior) medal with Rathmore in 2011. He made his AFL debut in the opening Round against Dublin this year and has played in all rounds.

•Stephen O’Brien (Kenmare) was a Kerry Minor panellist in 2009 and played Under 21 with the County in 2011 and 2012. He is the holder of a Cork Senior Football Championship medal and a Sigerson Cup medal, both with UCC (2011). He holds Kerry and Munster Junior Championship medals with his club. He made his AFL debut in the opening Round against Dublin this year.

•Daithí Casey (Dr. Crokes ) made his League Debut against Mayo in 2011 when coming on as a Sub. He was Man of the Match in the County Final last October when Dr Crokes won 4 in a Row, he also has 1 Cork Senior Football Championship, 3 Munster Club Championships, 1 All Ireland U21 Championship, 1 Munster Minor Football Championship, and 1 Sigerson Cup medal.

what on earth went wrong today? disaster of a scoreline.

on a more positive note, delighted for the hurlers.

what on earth went wrong today? disaster of a scoreline.

on a more positive note, delighted for the hurlers.
    I think the results in other games probably filtered through to the management and players at half time and I think that would have affected performance in the second half, cos in the first half Kerry were very competitive. Also, I think the few injuries in the second half upset the balance, and even from the start Kerry weren't at full strength, so all in all, a bad day at the office but not something to dwell on for too long.

On the subject of the hurlers, it's a bit stupid that Kerry have to play Offaly now before they get promoted. How are you supposed to grow hurling in a county like Kerry if the powers that be deliberately favour the more established counties. Kerry should get their chance in Division 1B next year, and Offaly should have to slog it out in Divsion 2A and earn promotion back up.

Horrific second half performance today..not helped by ineptitude from the sideline leaving Hurley with half the pitch to himself to do wreck. A lot of work to do before July.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Never nice to get a tonking from Cork - was anybody at the match?

Tactically inept. Utterly so.

How you can bring Buckley on to play midfield at half time, then five minutes into the second half get an injury, bring on Sheehan at midfield and move Buckley to half forward just baffles the mind.

Leaving Griffin hanging out to dry with 40 yards between himself and any defensive cover is terrible.

There's not that much wrong with the players but unless the management have some clever game they are playing we'll be eaten alive by any good team due to the sideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

D'Agger wrote: »
    Never nice to get a tonking from Cork - was anybody at the match?

Yes.

Nothing to do with the results of other games filtering anywhere.

Kerry were 2nd best to almost everything, very poor at midfield and zero breaking ball won. Cork had pace and movement and a definate game plan.

Kerry played with a gale in the first half and went in behind at the break. Geaney got a great goal but this was nullified by a Cork goal pretty soon therafter.

Wind calmed a little in the 2nd half. Kerry seemed to accept defeat even before O'Neill's goal. It was target practice for the Cork forwards. Hurley is v.good but he was made to look even better by the lack of marking.

Sideline didn't seem to have any plan and waited til the game was well and truly over to make any pro-active change.

The lack of leadership on the field continues to be worrying and Darran's injury looked bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Congratulations to Kerry on winning Division 2 Hurling... hope they take a scalp off Offaly next Sunday.

Danno wrote: »
    Congratulations to Kerry on winning Division 2 Hurling... hope they take a scalp off Offaly next Sunday.

its an absolute disgrace that Kerry have to play this game, power that be are protecting the so called elite teams.

Offaly have finished bottom of their league, Kerry have won theirs and should replace them.

Offaly will prob beat Kerry, but it this attitude was in other sports, there would be very little chances for teams to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

its an absolute disgrace that Kerry have to play this game, power that be are protecting the so called elite teams.

Offaly have finished bottom of their league, Kerry have won theirs and should replace them.

Offaly will prob beat Kerry, but it this attitude was in other sports, there would be very little chances for teams to progress.

Absolutely spot on ... You win your league get promoted - very simple .. same applies in reverse finish bottom - get relegated. How many chances do the 'traditional' counties need to avoid relegation !!!

The system stinks ... how many Kerry lads will become disillusioned if Offaly beat them - it would be hard to blame them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

JFlah wrote: »
    Absolutely spot on ... You win your league get promoted - very simple .. same applies in reverse finish bottom - get relegated. How many chances do the 'traditional' counties need to avoid relegation !!!

The system stinks ... how many Kerry lads will become disillusioned if Offaly beat them - it would be hard to blame them really.

The hurling establishment will not allow little upstart counties like Kerry or Carlow easily take the place of more established places like Offaly or Antrim.
    And if Kerry do win I’m sure they will find some way of re-gigging the league next year to accommodate Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

No idea why everyone here is being so defeatist and dismissive, I have seen Kerry twice this year and I expect them to beat Offaly next week tbh.

Also calling Offaly a 'traditional' or 'elite' county is a bit off the mark, they haven't ended up in this relegation play off by accident btw, they are truley awfull.

Agree with the general anger at the system in place however and the existance of the playoff is illogical and counter productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

With the way the hurling league works even if we beat Offaly it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they change the format next year and we end up in 2A again next year

Congrats to all involved yesterday,great stuff.

No idea why everyone here is being so defeatist and dismissive, I have seen Kerry twice this year and I expect them to beat Offaly next week tbh.

Also calling Offaly a 'traditional' or 'elite' county is a bit off the mark, they haven't ended up in this relegation play off by accident btw, they are truley awfull.

Agree with the general anger at the system in place however and the existance of the playoff is illogical and counter productive.

Kerry will run this close, but as usual it will be another hard work story and come down to a few dodgy decisions somewhere. would be amazing to beat them, but it wont happen. i dont think the GAA will allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

The hurling establishment will not allow little upstart counties like Kerry or Carlow easily take the place of more established places like Offaly or Antrim.
    And if Kerry do win I’m sure they will find some way of re-gigging the league next year to accommodate Offaly
    With the way the hurling league works even if we beat Offaly it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they change the format next year and we end up in 2A again next year.
    Kerry will run this close, but as usual it will be another hard work story and come down to a few dodgy decisions somewhere. would be amazing to beat them, but it wont happen. i dont think the GAA will allow it.

Jaysus ye dont need any help in the paranoid stakes!

Jaysus ye dont need any help in the paranoid stakes!

Any idea what the betting line will look like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

has a time and venue being decided on with kerry and offaly yet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement