Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

keane2097 wrote: »
    Any idea what the betting line will look like?

Good question, obviously they will install Offally as favourites and probably comfortable favs but I don't neccessarily agree, I think Kerry have an excellent chance in this game, I seen Offally recently and they are a shambles and I personally know the Kerry manager and know that they have been going very well, they have all the momentum and motivation here aswell and that can't be over-estimated. Anything around the 2/1 I will be very tempted. And even a bit shorther might tempt me!
    Henwin wrote: »
    has a time and venue being decided on with kerry and offaly yet?

Nothing as of yet I would guess either Limerick or Nenagh but logic and fixtures don't always go hand in hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Paddy Power odds

Offaly 1/10
    Draw 16/1
    Kerry 6/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Paddy Power odds

Offaly 1/10
    Draw 16/1
    Kerry 6/1

Tempted now Premierstone?! :D

Can't see Kerry winning unfortunately. There is an almighty gulf in class between Division 1B and 2A, however I agree with the lads that have said Kerry should have been promoted. You win a division, you get promoted, that should be it. Kerry would be well beaten in a couple of games in Div 1A, but would get a lot out of the experience, faster paced hurling and exposure to higher quality opponents. Winning Division 2A and then being stuck in the same division next year is soul destroying.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

Henwin wrote: »
    has a time and venue being decided on with kerry and offaly yet?

6.30 Sat evening in Thurles, a f**king joke. They may as well have played it in Birr

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

What reason have the GAA given for the "playoff" into fortress 1B?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Congratulations to the hurlers! 5 wins from 5 remaining in the league and the final.

1. Absolute joke that there's a play-off.
    2. The 2A final was to be Saturday with the relegation/promotion play-off the following Sunday.
    3. The final got moved to Sunday and the play-off to Saturday cutting the gap by 2 days.
    4. I am surprised Offaly were not given home advantage!

Looking forward, I hope Kerry can maintain the form in the Christy Ring Cup. Derry had a decent league. Wicklow and Down have gone well in 2B.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

As most here would agree, it is an absolute joke that Kerry will not get their rightful place and Offaly theirs. It would be a right shot in their arm to go up. I cannot see anything other than a good win for Offaly unfortunately.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    As most here would agree, it is an absolute joke that Kerry will not get their rightful place and Offaly theirs. It would be a right shot in their arm to go up. I cannot see anything other than a good win for Offaly unfortunately.
    It'd be great to see them up there. Dead tough but counties need to test themselves against the better counties at some stage. It would be great to Kerry getting games against Waterford and Limerick. The hurling league should be divisions of 8 with 2 up and 2 down between the divisions. Teams being relegated need to learn to take their medicine. Sure the whole point of a league is that if you're competitive and winning you'll be in the top tier or else you'll be slipping out of it. People dismiss the league at times but that's one thing that makes it competitive and this convoluted lame structure is offered up. All the advantages are with Offaly. They've been playing games at the higher level. If by some huge shock Kerry win, there'll be a scramble to re-jig the league. Offaly might even be more support of divisions of 8.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

At then end of the day, I feel the GAA don't really want the likes of Kerry improving. Sure look at the massive investment the GAA announced only for the hurlers of Westmeath, Carlow, Laois and Antrim. Yet your hurlers beat two of them and would probably have a good chance against the other two but ye get nothing like that sort of investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Total disgrace that Kerry are not promoted. Won 5 games and a final.
    Does anyone know what was the actual point of playing 'a final' so.
    Offaly failed to win a game in 1B, should be relegated.
    My county, Limerick, didn't lose a game yet failed to get promotion.
    (not sour grapes that Offaly held us to a draw BTW)
    As another poster said, maybe the powers that be simply don't want Kerry hurlers to improve, in the same way that some narrow minded individuals don't want Limerick footballers to improve.
    Best of luck in the farcical playoff.

• Advertisement

The hurlers and management anyways are preparing for the game to give it a lash. While the play-off is wrong, it should be good preparation for later in the year where Kerry will hope to be in a McCarthy play-off a week after the Christy Ring final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

With regards to the league i dont see the problem with having the top teams in 1 league (KK, Clare, Tipp, W'Ford, Cork, Galway, L'Rick, Offaly, Wexford, Antrim) and the rest in a league below that.

1 up 1 down and sure the team relegated from the top may come straight back up the following year but counties will need to improve to match them and stop that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The only thing I'm hoping for regarding the hurling is that with everything being stacked against them, they pull it out of the bag, siege mentality, us against them and that'll help motivate them. Kerry have nothing to lose and everything to gain from this fixture imo, the factors playing against them should be turned on their head in order to make this something positive.

I really hope they do it, would be amazing for Kerry hurling & the sport in general. Besides, the father's from Limerick so fúck Offally! :pac:

6/1 is absolutely massive lads, I really don't think people appreciate how much Offaly are strugling, not sure why people are complaining about Thurles either, makes perfect sense to me and I know from having talked to the Kerry manager an hour ago that he is very happy with the venue.

No disrespect intended to Kerry but I think Offaly may really struggle to lift themselves for this one, it means an awfull lot to Kerry especially with the way they have been treated, this really is their all Ireland. Unfortunately can't be there Saturday as we are playing first round of Tipp championship at exact same time but wish the kingdom all the best!

6/1 is absolutely massive lads, I really don't think people appreciate how much Offaly are strugling, not sure why people are complaining about Thurles either, makes perfect sense to me and I know from having talked to the Kerry manager an hour ago that he is very happy with the venue.

No disrespect intended to Kerry but I think Offaly may really struggle to lift themselves for this one, it means an awfull lot to Kerry especially with the way they have been treated, this really is their all Ireland. Unfortunately can't be there Saturday as we are playing first round of Tipp championship at exact same time but wish the kingdom all the best!

It isn't often our lads get a chance to play in Thurles so twice in space of a week is great.

It isn't often our lads get a chance to play in Thurles so twice in space of a week is great.

Alot of them would have played there u21 aswell if I'm not mistaken, and Offaly wouldn't have played there that often I'd imagine.

Alot of them would have played there u21 aswell if I'm not mistaken, and Offaly wouldn't have played there that often I'd imagine.

Ya the younger lads would be well used to playing in Thurles,

Seems to be a confidence about the team this year,the addition of the younger lads has brought a life to the team again,confidence is high and they are all working for each other,

I think there going to have a right crack off Offaly who will surely have their own confidence issues after their league campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

6/1 is absolutely massive lads.

7/1 is available on BoyleSports if people do fancy this.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    7/1 is available on BoyleSports if people do fancy this.

Duly taken, although I have held back for the big one when the handicap betting comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the game should be played in Kerry at least.

• Advertisement

the game should be played in Kerry at least.

The game should not be taking place at all tbf, but the fact it was agreed and voted on and the format of the league agreed months ago then of course all play offs should be in a neutral venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

The game should not be taking place at all tbf, but the fact it was agreed and voted on and the format of the league agreed months ago then of course all play offs should be in a neutral venue.
    I'm not too sure if this would suit Kerry. But would it not be better to possibly play the game in Croke park and maybe combine the game with the league semi-finals or even the league final. It would be nice for Kerry to have a game in Croke park ahead of Christy Ring, and it would be great for Kerry hurlers to get a bigger attendance. Besides Kerry have come on in leaps and bounds. I think it would be a great match to watch in Croker. The match with Down last year was a thriller, too bad Kerry narrowly missed out that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Minor hurlers in action against cork in cork, tonight, its currently 13-3 with 19 minutes gone in favour of the home side.

Its now 3-24 to 7 points.

The Christy Ring is Kerry's All-Ireland. Saturday's play-off is wrong but it is a competitive game ahead of the Christy Ring. The target will be to win that and get a McCarthy play-off shot.

Finished Cork 5-26 Kerry 0-9

Finished Cork 5-26 Kerry 0-9

It's tough but an experience for the lads. I think they'll get a second game in Munster against the loser of Clare v Waterford before competing in the minor B hurling championship.

It's tough but an experience for the lads. I think they'll get a second game in Munster against the loser of Clare v Waterford before competing in the minor B hurling championship.

Also in the Cork Minor County League during the summer,they will give a better account of themselves in that too.

The Christy Ring is Kerry's All-Ireland. Saturday's play-off is wrong but it is a competitive game ahead of the Christy Ring. The target will be to win that and get a McCarthy play-off shot.

Personally I think a year of two in Div 1b would be more beneficial in the long term but I guess its much of a muchness the point I was trying to make though is that this game is a far bigger game for Kerry that Offaly and I thin Eamon Kelly will have a far easier job getting the Kerry boys up for it that Brian Whelehan will with the Biffos.

• Advertisement

Personally I think a year of two in Div 1b would be more beneficial in the long term
    You would have been right before this year and I'd have agreed with you.
    The qualifier group which kicks off this year is where Kerry need to be playing. The opportunity to be in that group of teams 11 to 14. Top 2 advancing to provincial championships. In a poor year, taking on the Ring winner in a play-off.
    1B hurling while beneficial isn't the pressing matter for now. Noone will say no if the opportunity comes along!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement