Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ah fair enough, so should Down be brought in as well seen as they beat Kerry in the Christy Ring Final last year? What about Kildare, they won a Christy Ring a few years ago. Sure we had London in their last year (which was an idiotic decision) why not throw everyone else in? There's a way of developing Counties, making the Leinster Championship a farce is not the way, convaluted enough as it is.

Did Kildare win it?
    Kerry lost by a couple of points in the final last year and won it in 10 and 11 - London was a bad decision - I don't think Kerry would be. To develop the game where should they play? Munster is out. Ulster?? The most obvious would be Leinster or just leave them as they are and hope for the best, which I am not sure would be the best thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Did Kildare win it?
    Kerry lost by a couple of points in the final last year and won it in 10 and 11 - London was a bad decision - I don't think Kerry would be. To develop the game where should they play? Munster is out. Ulster?? The most obvious would be Leinster or just leave them as they are and hope for the best, which I am not sure would be the best thing.

Fair old distance for a Kerry underage team to go to Mullingar on a Wednesday evening say for a 7.30pm game. I don't think it's feasible to be honest Shamo. The devlopment has to start in schools. To be honest, Kerry are already facing the problem that say Waterford have in football. There's no interest in at least half the County, and most resources are channelled into the success of the prime sport.

There's a strong appetite for it in some parts no doubt, and I feel a situation where there interests are supported should come to light. But (and I will stop at this as it's not the thread to discus it) I think the GAA's most pressing concern should be Carlow and Offaly, who have the potential with out the history in the opposite code holding them back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Totally agree with the schools part - the team that got hammered by cork midweek had no Harty experience which is hugely important for minor level. Kerry is a big county and has a strong enough interest in parts to develop hurling. Maybe just the senior team to go to Leinster on a trial basis as it is too early for the underage - even though they have a couple of fine players already.
    The development will need to happen in some format or in a few years I can see Kerry hurling going backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Totally agree with the schools part - the team that got hammered by cork midweek had no Harty experience which is hugely important for minor level. Kerry is a big county and has a strong enough interest in parts to develop hurling. Maybe just the senior team to go to Leinster on a trial basis as it is too early for the underage - even though they have a couple of fine players already.
    The development will need to happen in some format or in a few years I can see Kerry hurling going backwards.
    You're not considering the qualifier group at all. That's the level the team are aiming for. Both Munster and Leinster have 5 seeded teams each. The 11th and 12th teams to play in a provincial championship will come from a qualifier group. The format is there.

When you look at how Laois have come on this year i feel that Kerry should have been given a crack at Div 1b hurling. What has happened absolutely stinks.
    Nothing against Offaly and FWIW they arguably shouldn't have been put in that position given they finished 3 above Antrim (granted gameweek 5 was a dead rubber game). But Kerry either way should have got their deserved crack at 1b hurling. If Offaly, Antrim, etc continue to get bailouts like this then they wont be too driven to improve either and the game as a whole will suffer.

The GAA was founded under the ideals of Irish people having a cultural identity in the face of oppression and yet here we have today in the year 2014, a classic example of a county being oppressed of their right to development as a hurling county by the very organisation who stood against it all those years ago.

I think personally fitness seems to be a big factor between the so called stronger and weaker hurling counties. Ye were doing well against ourselves back in January until ye ran out of legs the last 15 too. The powers that be need to be fair about the league though. As it stands, hurling is the big loser

• Advertisement

Is Kilkenny's Willie O'Dwyer still hurling for Kerry by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Is Kilkenny's Willie O'Dwyer still hurling for Kerry by any chance?

No he didnt make himself available this year

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the winners of the christy ring, should be put into the qualifiers at some stage.

by all means, not good enough for Munster/Leinser, but at least they should be good enough to take on 4 or 5 teams who lose in the first round or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

the winners of the christy ring, should be put into the qualifiers at some stage.

by all means, not good enough for Munster/Leinser, but at least they should be good enough to take on 4 or 5 teams who lose in the first round or two.

I agree back in 03 when Waterford beat us we went into the qualifiers,won two games before we gave Limerick a right good rattle in Tralee.

Wonder will RTE show any highlights of last nights game?

I agree back in 03 when Waterford beat us we went into the qualifiers,won two games before we gave Limerick a right good rattle in Tralee.

Wonder will RTE show any highlights of last nights game?

RTE did in fairness and covered the unfairness.

'03 was a great run. The qualifier route was some journey! If Kerry can win the Ring this year, they'll have to fancy their chances against Westmeath or London in a play-off.

• Advertisement

RTE did in fairness and covered the unfairness.

'03 was a great run. The qualifier route was some journey! If Kerry can win the Ring this year, they'll have to fancy their chances against Westmeath or London in a play-off.

Fair play to Brian Carroll on his honesty too in his post match interview.

Fair play to Brian Carroll on his honesty too in his post match interview.

Whelehan said the same last week. Straight forward divisions of 8 with 2 up and down should be brought back. Relegated teams should just get on with it.

Whelehan said the same last week. Straight forward divisions of 8 with 2 up and down should be brought back. Relegated teams should just get on with it.

The playing personnel are all on for fairness id say because they acknowledge the sacrifices made by players from all over the country in whatever code.

Its the gobshíte administrators in these counties who are bringing in those rules. Lads who are full of their own importance who never achieved anything on the field making life difficult for players and supporters

The playing personnel are all on for fairness id say because they acknowledge the sacrifices made by players from all over the country in whatever code.

Eamon Kelly's done a great job so far. We gave ye Evans so help out in ye're football development and now ye've kindly returned the favour.

Eamon Kelly's done a great job so far. We gave ye Evans so help out in ye're football development and now ye've kindly returned the favour.

We gave ye three....Kelly, Brendan Cummins and Brian Horgan :) Ye may send up Jack O'Connor or one of the O'Sheas now to balance it out ;)

In fairness to Evans he has an impressive CV from his stint in Tipp but seemed to run out of ideas during his latter days considering he was on a salary. Nevertheless we should be somewhat grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheBomber14

heard from a reliable source that seamus scanlon is making a sensational return to the inter county scene, any truth in these rumours?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

heard from a reliable source that seamus scanlon is making a sensational return to the inter county scene, any truth in these rumours?

Well your the one with the "reliable source", you tell us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

If you are sure that the source is reliable surely you don't need to ask???

look all im saying is.. that I heard from a reliable friend of myne that scanlan is making a return to the fold... hes flying for dingle by all accounts im told by the same guy!.. We need a good solid man in the full back line that takes no ****!

by all accounts he was the best player on the pitch when PCD won the hogan cup at the weekend. and anyone that wants to challenge that statement , im here all night, good luck and god bless, UP THE KINGDOM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

When Cork and Kerry play in the years football Championship, where will it be played?

by all accounts he was the best player on the pitch when PCD won the hogan cup at the weekend. and anyone that wants to challenge that statement , im here all night, good luck and god bless, UP THE KINGDOM

Quoted for weirdness.

djPSB wrote: »
    When Cork and Kerry play in the years football Championship, where will it be played?

Assuming both sides make it to the final it will be Cork this year.

Things might change if the plans for Pairc Ui Choimh speed up drastically but that's very unlikely.

Seamus Scanlon is coming back into the fold, i rang my buddy and he told me the rumours are true. He is only 27/28 anyway dont know why he isint on the panel full - time.
    Hope he confirms it on his twitter page now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

look all im saying is.. that I heard from a reliable friend of myne that scanlan is making a return to the fold... hes flying for dingle by all accounts im told by the same guy!.. We need a good solid man in the full back line that takes no ****!

OK, so Sheamus Scanlon that used to play midfield for Kerry is now coming back in play in the backs, and is also now playing for Dingle instead of Currow, and while he is at it he decided to go back to school and play for PCD.

I think MrBomber14 that your source is far from reliable, that's if one even exists in the first place.

The devlopment has to start in schools. To be honest, Kerry are already facing the problem that say Waterford have in football. There's no interest in at least half the County, and most resources are channelled into the success of the prime sport.

There's a strong appetite for it in some parts no doubt, and I feel a situation where there interests are supported should come to light. But (and I will stop at this as it's not the thread to discus it) I think the GAA's most pressing concern should be Carlow and Offaly, who have the potential with out the history in the opposite code holding them back.

Just on the whole development/schools things - maybe it's just a freak of statistics or the fact that the weather has been fine but I've seen a lot more youngs lads with hurls around in the last week in Killarney. I saw 2 different groups of young lads with hurls yesterday.

A few months back one of the primary schools in Killarney won some sort of hurling blitz, which compared to back in my day is a massive change. Remember seeing it in the paper and my mind literally boggled for a few minutes - the Mon (that's the primary school for boys in the centre of Killarney town) have a hurling team???

I still remember when we did hurling in PE in the Sem (secondary school) and the teams were divided up on the basis of where the boarders came from (lads from North Kerry who had actually seen a hurl were invaluable) whereas every one else was pretty much picking up a hurl for the first time.

I'm not tipping Kerry for Liam just yet, but hurling is definitely on the way up.

Seamus Scanlon is coming back into the fold, i rang my buddy and he told me the rumours are true. He is only 27/28 anyway dont know why he isint on the panel full - time.
    Hope he confirms it on his twitter page now.

Hurrah!!! Seamus Scanlon has invented a time machine (must be because he's used to be 33/34)

I can totally understand him donning the green and gold if he's managed to literally shave off 5/6 years off his age.

Maybe he went back to 17 to play with PCD.

must be a different seamus scanlon lads apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Just on the whole development/schools things - maybe it's just a freak of statistics or the fact that the weather has been fine but I've seen a lot more youngs lads with hurls around in the last week in Killarney. I saw 2 different groups of young lads with hurls yesterday.
    <snip>
    maybe you are just noticing now for the first time.

Before the mrs got pregnant I didnt notice any pregnant women. Then suddenly the place was full of them! The only difference was that I sortof was noticing them cos of herself being in the same way.

Anyhow, great to see the advances in Hurling in Kerry.
    It came a little under the radar to win div2 - but if they keep at it they'll surely be one of the first non traditional teams in div1 in a few years.
    And despite the critics of the current system (split div1 and playoff to go from div2 to div 1), you saw with the playoff that theres still a gap to be bridged by Kerry that a season in div1b getting trashed in every game wouldnt really help in fixing.
    The suggestion of an appearance in the earlier rounds of Leinster might actually make sense to get up to speed in preparation for any prospective Munster and Div1 campaigns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

must be a different seamus scanlon lads apologies
    Jaysus - that must be the shortest come-back of all time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement