Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheBomber14

stuba wrote: »
    Which of these 5 players shouldn't be starting? Please inform me.

im not going to put down kids who are under 18, on a public forum. The management team is a joke however, i gaurantee you there are 15 other minors in kerry who are just as good as that 15 that lined up last nite , the only reason they not getting a chance is due to politics and the management team not having a clue, and thinking pcd winning the hogan cup and putting loadsa dem fellas on the team is gonna win us games, thats bollix, totally different competitions!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

I disagree with you anyway. Have seen plenty of these lads play along with other fellas around the county and the only one I would have had doubts on starting caught about 6 clean balls at midfield last night. The other 4 would be definite starters in my books with 3 of the 4 on the team last year also. West Kerry teams have dominated this age bracket the whole way up the juvenile ranks and they will form the backbone of the team this year.

if you think beating clare is a good yard stick- cos that what it sounds like to me, then im sorry but i cant even talk to you about this topic. We will be hammered by cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

I'm beginning to find you very wearing...

I was the only guy on here giving regular updates from the minor last night,... How you could question my integrity and commitment to kerry gaa is beyond me. Lot of posters here are only posting up comments for their own personal gains or to help a friend. I say it like it is, you dont like it thats fine, but im entitled to my own views on a public forum no matter how radical they seem

• Advertisement

Couldn't post updates sorry I was at the game. Never said it was a good yardstick either. Just remember last year the team that won the Munster final struggled to beat a Clare team in the 'qualifier' and this team was being talked up by a lot of Clare people. Harder challenges lay ahead is right though, cork are the yardstick but they must get over tipp first who fell over the line last night against Waterford. Whether or not you acknowledge the hogan cup win, half this team played a game the weekend and it was a warm evening in ennis last night. So I've no doubt management will be pleased with the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

You say it like you think it is. Slow down a small bit. Some of your posts yesterday were bordering on the ridiculous.

Bringing Mike Frank back? the inter county game has moved on so much since he retired, you're living in fantasy land if you think he could a job in todays game.

Donnacha Walsh no good? He was one of our best players in last years championship, he's deciptively fast, covers an amount of ground and you can be gauranteed he's be one of the first names Fitmaurice will have on his team sheet for the Championship.

I'm not going to mention the Seamus Scanlon thing....;-0

stuba wrote: »
    Couldn't post updates sorry I was at the game. Never said it was a good yardstick either. Just remember last year the team that won the Munster final struggled to beat a Clare team in the 'qualifier' and this team was being talked up by a lot of Clare people. Harder challenges lay ahead is right though, cork are the yardstick but they must get over tipp first who fell over the line last night against Waterford. Whether or not you acknowledge the hogan cup win, half this team played a game the weekend and it was a warm evening in ennis last night. So I've no doubt management will be pleased with the result.

Im sure the management will be happy too.... happy that theyre scandolous team selection got them over the line against clare!.. clare like for christ sake, have no doubt about it we will be found wanting come the business side of the championship! mark my words

You seem more interested about 'politics' and the minor management team than Kerry gaa. You sound a young fella that is sour because he didn't make the panel or that has a gripe against Jack O Connor. Who is this Mike Frank that plays for St Mary's you talk about?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Lads and ladies, tone down the flaming posts and personal attacks - don't post rumour as fact please, really don't want to have to ban people

• Advertisement

Radio5 wrote: »
    Well done to the Minor team. When is the Tipp game?

The 7th or 14th of May in a Tipp venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Radio5 wrote: »
    When is the Tipp game?
    We will be hammered by cork.

Yes Kerry have first to beat Tipp in Thurles 14th May. All Tipp teams love playing in Thurles.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Ryan is still young I guess, with the way he is progressing. He'll be in with the Seniors for the League next year I'd imagine. Tipp will be no easy game by any means. Lost and the season is over, a bigger game than the munster final you could almost say.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

TheBomber14 gone for a day - ciarraithuaidh infracted, just because you cannot see moderation does not mean it does not go on, if you would go back and see my previous post about posting in here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Did I hear right before the game that Clare played in a Leinster League during the winter? How did they fare out in that?

i am not 100% sure how far they got in the end there was very little coverage of it as far as i know they advanced from there group but i dont think they got any further , but the standerd in leinster bar one or two teams will always be miles lower then the likes of cork, kerry and in recent times tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

I assume after the trip to Portugal the championship panel will be announced soon.

My guess would be..

Brian Kelly
    Brendan Kealy

Marc O Sé
    Mark Griffin
    Paul Murphy

Fionn Fitz
    Peter Crowley
    Killian Young

Shane Enright
    Aidan O Mahoney
    Pa Kilkenny

Brian McGuire
    Jack Sherwood
    Jonathan Lyne

David Moran
    Anthony Maher

Bryan Sheehan
    Johnny Buckley

Darran O Sullivan
    Declan O Sullivan
    Donnacha Walsh

James O D
    Kieran Donaghy
    Paul Geaney

Stephen O Brien
    Conor Cox
    Barry John Keane

Daithi Casey
    Kieran O Leary
    Mikey Geaney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Prop Joe wrote: »
    I assume after the trip to Portugal the championship panel will be announced soon.

My guess would be..

Brian Kelly
    Brendan Kealy

Marc O Sé
    Mark Griffin
    Paul Murphy

Fionn Fitz
    Peter Crowley
    Killian Young

Shane Enright
    Aidan O Mahoney
    Pa Kilkenny

Brian McGuire
    Jack Sherwood
    Jonathan Lyne

David Moran
    Anthony Maher

Bryan Sheehan
    Johnny Buckley

Darran O Sullivan
    Declan O Sullivan
    Donnacha Walsh

James O D
    Kieran Donaghy
    Paul Geaney

Stephen O Brien
    Conor Cox
    Barry John Keane

Daithi Casey
    Kieran O Leary
    Mikey Geaney

Yeah that's about right Prop, although you could leave out a couple of those and just name 26-28 if you wanted as some of them are not up to it.

Portugal was tough I hear. No harm. A few weeks more along the same lines, few challenge games to sharpen up and we'll have a better picture of the starting 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Kieran Donaghy picked up an injury during the weekend playing for the Stacks

http://www.radiokerry.ie/sport/dislocated-shoulder-for-kerry-footballer/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Kieran Donaghy picked up an injury during the weekend playing for the Stacks

http://www.radiokerry.ie/sport/dislocated-shoulder-for-kerry-footballer/

Our bench is going to be seriously light this year. Hopefully there'll be no more high profile injuries, we can't afford them. This year well have two former players of the year injured and one just retired.

I know Donaghy has had his critics in recent seasons but he is a great option to have and could well have started if fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

mickeyk wrote: »

I know Donaghy has had his critics in recent seasons but he is a great option to have and could well have started if fit.

No offence but I do think Donaghy is past his best. 2006-2007 and 2011 were his best years in a Kerry jersey, he isn't the threat he used to be. Those years (2006-07) you knew when the high ball went in the full back would be in trouble. The game has now moved on. I think he could be best suited out the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I think Donaghy has a lot to contribute as a squad player at the very least. With Kerry's bench being so poor, Donaghy could definitely be used as an impact sub at midfield if Maher or Moran tire late on in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Amprodude wrote: »
    No offence but I do think Donaghy is past his best. 2006-2007 and 2011 were his best years in a Kerry jersey, he isn't the threat he used to be. Those years (2006-07) you knew when the high ball went in the full back would be in trouble. The game has now moved on. I think he could be best suited out the field.

At the same time you'd prefer to have him fit. I think even now he'd make any squad in the country and full backs must hate to see him coming, although I agree the high ball in is old hat at this stage. A definate loss to Kerry, hopefully he'll be back at some stage during the year but it's hard to get going later when you are injured for the start of the championship. Midfield is probably where he will be used alright when he does come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I think Donaghy has a lot to contribute as a squad player at the very least. With Kerry's bench being so poor, Donaghy could definitely be used as an impact sub at midfield if Maher or Moran tire late on in games.

Not a hope..he was absolutely chronic in midfield..last year's county final is a prime example. Didn't burn a ball all day.

His best days are behind him I think, but it's unfortunate timing as it means he'll do well to see any action until August now, if we're around that long and he will be nowhere near match fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Donaghy is a tremendous athlete ,and for all hes height and ,bulk ,he is actually an excellent footballer and is hughely intelligent,he never wastes a ball.

We had Cussen,similar physigue ,but wouldnt tie donaghy shoelaces in truth.He had a great temparment ,and huge courage,when the Need was Greatest ,tru mark player

I wish the lad best with recovery.
    I wouldnt c the lad as a midfield player when its all about pace and tracking runners from midfield espiceally re dublin.

Yes against cork ,gould and butcher he be okay ,but not against dublin,mayo,etc

Alan o connor proved last year against kerry in killarney and wide open spaces against dublin in croker,blistering pace ,is miles apart for midfield play and Donaghy would be like Aoc in he would be exposed for pace.It very much depends who ye play for him to play in the centre.Against Derry he would be fine etc,Monaghan maybe.

I believe could do impact role at ff,as link man and as potent threat as what he lacks in pace,he makes up in atural football and footballing intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

In fairness, Donaghy has never even been a good club midfielder. He was brilliant at FF in his prime but was a liability more often than not at midfield.

Anybody posting rumour without any sort of evidence, deliberately trying to take the thread off topic or being a WUM will be banned for a month, I've had to clean up a load of rubbish posts - you have been warned

In news that will shock absolutely no one, Shane Crowley wasn't in Portugal.

Neither was Maurice Fitz obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I don't think we should see Star tbh and honestly, while I never like to see a player get injured, especially one who's given as much to Kerry GAA as Donnaghy, but I'm glad that Fitz may now be forced to look at an alternative plan to sticking him on full forward and pumping in long balls when plan A doesn't work.

Donnaghy is a very good player, but I don't think he's good enough for midfield, and other teams have cottoned on regarding how to handle him at full forward.

D'Agger wrote: »
    I don't think we should see Star tbh and honestly, while I never like to see a player get injured, especially one who's given as much to Kerry GAA as Donnaghy, but I'm glad that Fitz may now be forced to look at an alternative plan to sticking him on full forward and pumping in long balls when plan A doesn't work.

Donnaghy is a very good player, but I don't think he's good enough for midfield, and other teams have cottoned on regarding how to handle him at full forward.

We didn't really get as much out of Donaghy as we should have over the years.

The reason he was such an effective FF was because he was so good in the air you had no choice but to put a big unit marking him, but then if you did he had the mobility to give most FBs of that sort the run-around.

From about 2008 onwards they seemed to give up any notion of playing decent ball in to him and take one of his most valuable traits out of the game by sending it in 100% of the time with snow on it.

A shame really.

Hopefully he'll stay around the panel anyway, we've lost too many characters already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

keane2097 wrote: »
    We didn't really get as much out of Donaghy as we should have over the years.

The reason he was such an effective FF was because he was so good in the air you had no choice but to put a big unit marking him, but then if you did he had the mobility to give most FBs of that sort the run-around.

From about 2008 onwards they seemed to give up any notion of playing decent ball in to him and take one of his most valuable traits out of the game by sending it in 100% of the time with snow on it.

A shame really.

Hopefully he'll stay around the panel anyway, we've lost too many characters already.
    Yeah it's strange because I remember it being highlighted around 2006 or so that the ball being put in by Galvin & Walsh (I assume) were diagonal balls from the wings so Donnaghy was able to take it much easier - kick a ball in direct and high then it suits a back to clench his fist and launch it in the general direction of the ball. Under O'Connor we seemed to play smart ball into him. Since then, not so much

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement