Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

careca wrote: »
    Latest rumour.

Team (and there are some shocks).

DM

Tom Sull, Tommy Griffin, Killian Young
    Tomas, Marc (if fit), Aiden O'Shea (No O'Mahony :eek:)

Dara and Seamus Scanlon

Donn Walsh, Declan, Tommy Walsh (although not certain)
    Gooch, Quirke and one from three (Darren, Barry John, Bryan Sheehan).

Again, take this with as much salt as necessary.

I don't think Quirke is the answer @ FF. He caught a great ball there in the NFL final against Derry to set up Donnacha's goal but unlike Kieran I dont think Quirke has the potential to get Kerry scores.

I'm not doubting his mobility(he moved around croke park in the NFL final as good as any other Kerry player) just his ability to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Well, when donaghy is fit again to start a game sure he'd slot in there for quirke and that would be that. quirke would suffice for the longford game. again, id be happy enuf with that team, bar moran perhaps.

mystic86 wrote: »
    Well, when donaghy is fit again to start a game sure he'd slot in there for quirke and that would be that. quirke would suffice for the longford game. again, id be happy enuf with that team, bar moran perhaps.

yeah fair enough Quirke would be fine in there for the longford game i know its not a long term plan.

i hope quirke going in there doesn't mean the aimless high ball continues. hopefully the gooch will start making his diagonal runs again so our season can get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Now is the time to try out all these variations and hopefully have everything sorted for august and september.

Give lads a chance a confidence lifter which is needed and thats meant as no disrespect to Longford.

Might travel up myself.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Lads I wouldn't worry too much ye'll almost certainly win this one anyway whatever team is picked. Losing to Cork might end up being the best thing that could have happened to Kerry, and that's not great news for the rest of us. Gives Jack O'Connor a chance to sort things out now and try some new options in a game which Kerry are very likely to win. O'Connor is not afraid to change things, very few players could feel that their place is safe and that's exactly the kind of shakeup needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

The Kerry team to play Longford on Saturday 11th July 09 is as follows:

(1) Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle)
    (2) Killian Young (Renard)
    (3) Tommy Griffin (Dingle)
    (4) Tom O’Sullivan (Rathmore)
    (5) Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht)
    (6) Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht)
    (7) Aidan O’Shea (Glenbeigh/Glencar)
    (8) Darragh Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht)
    (9) Seamus Scanlon (Currow)
    (10) Donnacha Walsh (Cromane) (Captain)
    (11) Declan O’Sullivan (Piarsaigh Na Dromada)
    (12) Seán O’Sullivan (Cromane)
    (13) Colm Cooper (Dr. Crokes)
    (14) Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks)
    (15) Tommy Walsh (Kerins O'Rahilly)

Subs: (16) Ger Reidy ( Castleisland Desmonds) (17) Darran O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) (18) Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore)
    (19) Padraig Reidy (Scartaglin) (20) Micheal Quirke (Kerins O'Rahillys) (21) Bryan Sheehan (St. Mary's) (22) David Moran (Kerins O’Rahilly’s)
    (23) Mike McCarthy (Kilcummin) (24) Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks) (25) Paul O’Connor (Kenmare) (26) Barry John Walsh (Kerins O’Rahillys)
    (27) Kieran Quirke (Duagh) (28) Maurice Corridan (Finuge) (29) Rónán Ó Flatharta (An Ghaeltacht) (30) Anthony Maher (Duagh)
    Bainsteoir: Jack O’Connor (Piarsaigh Na Dromada) Traenálaí: Alan O’Sullivan (Kerins O’Rahilly’s)
    Roghnóirí: Ger O’Keeffe (Austin Stacks) Eamon Fitzmaurice (Finuge)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

manster wrote: »
    The Kerry team to play Longford on Saturday 11th July 09 is as follows:

(1) Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle)
    (2) Killian Young (Renard)
    (3) Tommy Griffin (Dingle)
    (4) Tom O’Sullivan (Rathmore)
    (5) Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht)
    (6) Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht)
    (7) Aidan O’Shea (Glenbeigh/Glencar)
    (8) Darragh Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht)
    (9) Seamus Scanlon (Currow)
    (10) Donnacha Walsh (Cromane) (Captain)
    (11) Declan O’Sullivan (Piarsaigh Na Dromada)
    (12) Seán O’Sullivan (Cromane)
    (13) Colm Cooper (Dr. Crokes)
    (14) Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks)
    (15) Tommy Walsh (Kerins O'Rahilly)

Don't understand how Moran isn't in Midfield, Think Killian Young might have trouble in the full back line - he never seems comfortable playing there - eg.Kerry U-21's a year ago, he's much more comfortable on the wing

Well there it is - bound to generate comment but let's try and keep it positive.
    Main changes in backs are Griffin full-back, O'Mahony dropped and O'Shea in.
    In the forwards, Donagh back with Sean O'Sullivan in to give good diagonal ball into the twins. No surprise with O'Mahony being dropped as he showed indiscipline against Cork. Darren O'Sullivan seems to be back to his role as 'super sub'.
    Not so much a massive change from the 'Cork experience' but a few key positional changes nevertheless. Note that we are missing a free taker from the left - could see Sean O'Sull taking a few.
    Ciarrai Abu.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Still looks like a very strong team, although I wouldn't have dropped Aidan O'Mahony. No need to panic because of the Cork defeat, that team is guaranted to be there in september.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Don't understand how Moran isn't in Midfield, Think Killian Young might have trouble in the full back line - he never seems comfortable playing there - eg.Kerry U-21's a year ago, he's much more comfortable on the wing

I agree with you paulie on Moran and Young. I would have Moran in for Darragh, regarding young you're right in saying he hasn't been comfortable there to date but I think he'll do well there for the rest of the season if left there.

Cork's corner backs the last day carried the ball into the half back line then releasing to the free man after they had drawn the kerry player into the tackle. Perhaps jack has this in mind for Young as well.

Not happy about Donnacha his had multiple chances but has yet to deliver that complete performance. He pops up with a goal here and there, he scored two great points against cork in the first half of the drawn game but faded out. I have said this before along with "i hope he proves me wrong the next day" but he never does.

Hopefully we'll see McCarthy on for the final 20 minutes on Saturday so we can see what all the fuss was about!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

I think its an exciting team, looking forward to the game now.

A lot of speed in the forwards and back to, imo, our best current midfield pairing.

I'm not sure if dropping O'Mahony will have a positive or negative effect though. It could cause some resentment in the camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Bemused by Moran being left out of the team? I'd have him in there instead of either Donnacha Walsh or Dara O Se - looking more and more out of condition as the year goes on! Mahoney deserved the drop - his latest performances don't merit a starting position and I'm happy to see Aidan O Shea get a chance. He's had 2 excellent county championships campaigns the last two years with Mid-Kerry. Inter-county is clearly a different kettle of fish altogether but he didn't do too badly when introduced against the Rebels in the replay and it will be interesting to see how he gets on at the weekend.

Questionable as to whether both Scanlon/Donaghy will be fully fit after their spells on the sidelines?

Have to agree that Young is more comfortable on the wing than he is in the corner. Marc centre back also? I suppose this experimentation might be what we need to get back on track, going to trust Jacko's judgement for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I've been watching Kerry very closely in the last two years and have noticed the weak links that have appeared in the team.I think it is fair to say that Kerry could go without changing a single position from the defeat to Cork and still win this game.No disrespect to Longford.

However,I think it is important for Kerry to make changes and see where positions and certain areas could be tightened up.

My starting 15 for Kerry would be,

Ger Reidy

Killian Young
    Tom O Sullivan
    Padraig Reidy

Tomas O Se
    Aidan O Mahony
    Marc O Se

Darragh O Se
    Tommy Griffin

Donnacha Walsh
    Declan O Sullivan
    Darren O Sullivan

Colm Cooper
    Kieran Donaghy
    Tommy Walsh

1.Diarmuid Murphy is a terrible goalkeeper.When the Kerry defense is breached,he is susceptible to leaking goals.If Brian Kavanagh gets a chance,the likelihood is that there could be a goal for Longford.So I'd drop him and give Ger Reidy a chance.Kerry also need tactical kickout distributions.

2.Tom O Sullivan in place of Tommy Griffin.Griffin is a much better midfielder in my opinion and Tom O Sullivan would be good cover for the no.3 position.

3.Drop Seamus Scanlon and replace him with Tommy Griffin.Scanlon may do well against Longford but I don't rate him too much for Kerry and I think bigger teams would have the beating of him.Poor distribution and terrible going forward and shooting.Tommy Griffin a much better man-marker.

4.Switch Donnacha Walsh over to the right wing and bring on Darren O Sullivan.Darren O Sullivan is a player I rate highly and have no idea why he is on the subs bench.

5.I'd keep the full forward line as the traditional one.Donaghy's return will strengthen it no doubt if he can keep injury free and Walsh is also fully fit.However,I think they should experiment and rotate Colm Cooper with Declan O Sullivan during the game.Coopers game suffers when he doesn't have a target man beside him such as Walsh and Donaghy.I think Cooper needs to be brought out in order to get him to win more ball from the midfielders and change his tactical style of play and maybe become even more involved as a link player.If Donaghy or Walsh get injured again,the experiment in the Longford game and other subsequent games might do Coopers game the world of good if it is found to be feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I agree with all of ye about Moran- the lad should be starting.
    Jack is being conservative in his team selections and neither him nor Pat O Shea last year have done a whole lot to shake up the team or the panel.
    No wonder we look so lethargic- the same lads have been playing for more or less a decade and some longer

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

blackbelt wrote: »

Ger Reidy (Diarmuid)

K Young (Aidan O'Se)
    Tom Sull(Griffin/ Bohane)
    P Reidy(Tom Sullivan)

Tomas O Se
    AO Mahony(Marc OSe)
    Marc O Se (Young)

Darragh(David Moran)
    Tommy Griffin (Seamus Scanlon)

Donnacha Walsh
    Declan O Sullivan
    Darren O Sullivan

Colm Cooper
    Kieran Donaghy
    Tommy Walsh

1.Diarmuid Murphy is a terrible goalkeeper.When the Kerry defense is breached,he is susceptible to leaking goals.If Brian Kavanagh gets a chance,the likelihood is that there could be a goal for Longford.So I'd drop him and give Ger Reidy a chance.Kerry also need tactical kickout distributions.
    Diarmuid not terrible, he's ageing. His kickouts have been poor, undoubtedly, but he made some very, very good saves last season, and generally his positioning is good.
    2.Tom O Sullivan in place of Tommy Griffin.Griffin is a much better midfielder in my opinion and Tom O Sullivan would be good cover for the no.3 position.
    The general concensus, and one I agree with wholeheartedly is that Tom Sull is a corner man, and a terrible full back. He never looks comfortable there.

.Drop Seamus Scanlon and replace him with Tommy Griffin.Scanlon may do well against Longford but I don't rate him too much for Kerry and I think bigger teams would have the beating of him.Poor distribution and terrible going forward and shooting.Tommy Griffin a much better man-marker.
    Seamus Scanlon has been Kerry's best midfielder for the past 2 seasons. His footpassing at times leaves a lot to be desired, but his man-marking, his workrate and his scattering of play make him very important at the moment.
    4.Switch Donnacha Walsh over to the right wing and bring on Darren O Sullivan.Darren O Sullivan is a player I rate highly and have no idea why he is on the subs bench.

Agree re:Darren. He's a fine player and I don't subscribe to this "supersub" nonsense. Donnacha has his merits in fairness, and he's usually good for a goal a game. I think there is space for both himself, Sean Bán and Darren on the same team, as there's very few undroppables.

5.I'd keep the full forward line as the traditional
    one.Donaghy's return will strengthen it no doubt if he can keep injury free and Walsh is also fully fit.However,I think they should experiment and rotate Colm Cooper with Declan O Sullivan during the game.Coopers game suffers when he doesn't have a target man beside him such as Walsh and Donaghy.I think Cooper needs to be brought out in order to get him to win more ball from the midfielders and change his tactical style of play and maybe become even more involved as a link player.If Donaghy or Walsh get injured again,the experiment in the Longford game and other subsequent games might do Coopers game the world of good if it is found to be feasible.

I wouldn't agree with switching Gooch and Declan. Declan is the best playmaker we have and would be wasted on the inside. Where a change needs to be made is to have more support runners with him for the offload when he goes on his travels.

Appreciate that you put a fair bit of time into your post blackbelt, but I can't understand how you'd keep Padraig Reidy on the team given the criticism you've levelled at other players, as Padraig hasn't got himself to a level he probably should be at yet, and has looked poor in a few games in the past two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Kingdom wrote: »
    Appreciate that you put a fair bit of time into your post blackbelt, but I can't understand how you'd keep Padraig Reidy on the team given the criticism you've levelled at other players, as Padraig hasn't got himself to a level he probably should be at yet, and has looked poor in a few games in the past two seasons.

100% agree with kingdom here. And fwiw I would also put Killian Young into that bracket. A great athlete but not the tightest defender around by a long shot.

Saying that, if we all picked the same teams it would be a bit boring.

I'm just sick of all the sniping thats been going on. Tired of it, its almost like a return to the days of the end of the PSe era.

I lost the rag earlier in this thread regrettably, over a poster saying they thought players would throw in the towel so the management would get the shove.

I don't believe that for one second. I'm sure the ott criticism of the past few weeks will have given a few lads wake up calls. Unfortunately when you're in the spotlight for as long as some of these players have (AOM, CC) it would be some achievement for you to keep the eye on the ball 100% of the time.
    O'Mahoney was as good a centre back as there was around up to the start of last season. He lost focus, and hopefully with a bit of reflection he'll come back mentally tougher, and dare I say it a bit more mature.

There is a season left in the golden oldies of this squad yet, who knows, Mike Mac coming back may have lightened the load of some of the older lads too.

As it stands, we've 3 potentially excellent blockers (Marc, Tom Sull, Griff,) we've another 2 superb Tyrone type defenders, i.e. athletic, mobile, footballing harassesers (Killian, Tomas)
    a couple of superb midfielders (Dara Seamus) an truely good prospect (moran)
    and 3 of the best forwards in the game (Declan, Star, Gooch).

If the filler of that side is hungry enough, and dedicated enough, then I've no doubt Kerry can match any other 15 in the country.
    Declan O'Sullivan is the most important player to this Kerry team, as he offers so much going forward, provided the support (midfield, wing and corner forwards) are in tune. He draws defenders, has excellent control on the run, and in tight situations, his movement is excellent, and passing is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

That half back line for Kerry looks very good in fairness, they are gonna cause huge trouble when bursting forward.

I have my doubts though re the full back line.

Half forward line is so so

Full Forward line is only gonna be as good as the ball they get. I do wonder about Donaghys and walshs involvement, I do hope they are 100% fit and theyre not taking a chance on them.

With 25 mins to go id like to see moran on dor d.o.se and mike mac in the full back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

imo the only reason D.Walsh is on is to mop up breaks in the middle of the field however he doesn't seem to do this enough, Sean O'Sullivan is well worth his place on the team - fast,strong and a better footballer than his namesake Darren who struggles to find the target alot of the time. He runs at teams which causes problems true, but overall there are better footballers of the same age in Kerry namely Paul O'Connor, Mike O'Donoghue, Kieran Leary. Having played against him, Diarmuid Murphy is far from a **** keeper but I can't understand how Brendan Kealy isn't on that panel at least he's a superb shotstopper.

As for Seamus Scanlon - I've heard from young fellas in training with the team that he's phenomenal at midfield - don't think anybody can question his work rate or link play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

imo the only reason D.Walsh is on is to mop up breaks in the middle of the field

Pace.

• Advertisement

What's going to be interesting on Sat is the type of ball being played into the FF line. Last year we had two plans Plan A = kick it in high and if that didn't work go to Plan B = kick it in higher.
    Jack knows this was Kerry's downfall last year.
    He will want quality ball going in. Sean Ban is a great man for the diagonal delivery. Declan can run at players drawing in fouls. But Plan B...:confused: to tell you the truth I haven't a clue but I hope that they are working on something behind closed doors in Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Darren who struggles to find the target alot of the time. He runs at teams which causes problems true, but overall there are better footballers of the same age in Kerry namely Paul O'Connor, Mike O'Donoghue, Kieran Leary.

Kieran has quit the inter-county set up apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

lads, there is no such thing as plan a and plan b. the plan is simple - score more than the opposition and do what ever you can to achieve that. long ball, short ball, is all part and parcel of the game.

kerry 1-12 longford 0-11.

were 11 up at one stage but played terrible in 2nd half, though torrential downpour and driving wind didnt help.

job done, not great, but a win is a win. longford played well, didnt expect anyything less.

injuries to donaghy and declan are worrying. galvin and tadhg back next week but star is the key man for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Poor performance after Donaghy went off, everything went through him in the first half and it worked pretty well, were no where near as good a team without him in full flight at no 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Too many missed opportunities from Longford, they played really well in the 2nd half, that double save from the Kerry keeper late in the 1st half proved vital.

this game was over after 25 minutes. longford had 70 minutes to win the game and were not good enough. the better team won and its time to move on.

best thing to happen to us IMO. just worried that without star we could have a problem. tadhg at full forward perhaps?

quirke caught some great balls when he came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

this game was over after 25 minutes. longford had 70 minutes to win the game and were not good enough. the better team won and its time to move on.

best thing to happen to us IMO. just worried that without star we could have a problem. tadhg at full forward perhaps?

quirke caught some great balls when he came on.

TBH, I dont think its as simplistic as this. Remember, Dublin got slated for their performance against Meath, as were Cork for their performance against Limerick. Longford would struggle against Meath or Limerick, so there is no good in waffling on about "longford having 70 mins to win the game". Kerry were always going to win the game. However, the manner in which they did went beyond "taking their foot off the gas". A good team would never have left that game with a mite of pressure on them. While the win was of 4 points, the gap didnt reflect Kerry's appalling second half.

Agree to an extent.

Its hard to know whether they're one step from becoming a good side, or one step away from imploding. I mean the Gooch is devasting, we all know that, but he seems in a rut.
    Tommy Walsh did amazingly well then did something daft, similar to a couple of players.
    Diarmuid made an incredible save, stopped a certain goal, then stuck two kickouts out and to a longford man.
    Aidan O'Shea was anonymous yet his man didn't grab a touch I don't think, therefore you'd say it was job well done. Tom O'Sullivan was superb in the first half, second half looked half-ar$ed.

Pros':
    Sean ban, showed he can hit a free, conditions didn't suit his running game, played some nice ball in to the big men.
    Star, fine game, no rustiness, hopefully the injury is ok
    Donncha Walsh, great first half, in a deeper role than he'd normally play
    Can only improve again the next day

Cons
    Injuries
    Backline still looks disjointed
    Midfield disappeared second half
    Subs didn't work

• Advertisement

Our season is dependent on how long it will take Donaghy to recover from his injury yesterday. We are going nowhere without him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement