Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I'm locking this for now, number of posts need reviewing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

OK, several posters have now been permanently banned for trolling and reregging. If you see similar things happening either here or in other threads, please report the posts.
    By the way, apologies for any delays there may be in acting on reported posts. You may have noticed that Clareman has stepped down from his modding duties due to time constraints and real life for the rest of us means that we're also not online as much so we're a little thin on the ground.
    We're in the process of getting a couple of new moderators so hopefully they'll be onboard soon.

Anyhoo, thread reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

The only reason I suggested Donnaghy at midfield was because he can't really be used as a full forward anymore. Last year in the Dublin game lots of high balls were pumped into the Kerry full forward line, Paul Flynn went back and double teamed Donnaghy. All those balls came straight back out of the Dublin full back line, and as a result Kerry midfielders and defenders got no break at all from relentless Dublin pressure. I think if Donnaghy was brought on in midfield that day, he might have caught a few high balls and gain some primary possession for Kerry. This might have taken some of the pressure off Kerry in the last few minutes of that game. I think Kerry were drawing or a point ahead with 5 mins left in that game. That might have made a difference. I don't think he's a midfield player, but that's the only role I could possibly see for him. He doesn't have the pace for the half forward line, and I think the big man at full forward has become a little redundant. I don't see Donnaghy starting any game this year either, I think he's a squad player now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

D'Agger wrote: »
    Yeah it's strange because I remember it being highlighted around 2006 or so that the ball being put in by Galvin & Walsh (I assume) were diagonal balls from the wings so Donnaghy was able to take it much easier - kick a ball in direct and high then it suits a back to clench his fist and launch it in the general direction of the ball. Under O'Connor we seemed to play smart ball into him. Since then, not so much

Seán Bán started throughout the 2006 campaign (nominated for an Allstar that year) and he was deadly at that off both sides..the flat diagonal ball, just above head height that Donaghy could (and did) attack and at the very worst, knock it down to a team-mate. The last 3 games of the 2006 c/ship (Armagh, Cork, Mayo) that axis was an absolutely huge factor in Kerry's success.

Sadly, as Keane said, too often from 2008 on, the ball into Donaghy was horrible and in fairness his form took a dip aswell, along with picking up a lot of injuries. He's still only 30 so it mightn't necessarily be the end for him, but he needs to get well quickly and discover form he hasn't shown in quite a while. Incidentally (and this was one of the things I held against Jack O'Connor in 2012) he wasn't helped by the ridiculous attempt to play him as a linking half forward/midfielder in 2012 by JOC..one of a number of bad calls made towards the end of his second stint unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think with such a dangerous, fast and skilful half forward line to feed, Donaghy is a real asset at 14. I don't agree that he has a great temperament , I think he is a great motivator and an inspirational footballer.

I can see him still contributing by laying off the ball, but I'd agree that he has been figured out a bit when it comes to goal scoring, by the time he's won the ball, landed and turned there seems to be enough time to cover up his shots. He is very good scoring points either from distance or with the fist.

He'd be a great impact sub to have if you wanted to change the way the game is going for you. but Kerry don't seem to rely on him as much now, certainly if your team was playing a full strength Kerry team now there'd be a few more potent threats to watch out for IMHO.

Could see him struggle at midfield, but handy to have dropping back from half forward to win ball and get things moving with the runners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

At the start of the season, I thought that Kerry were one of the strongest sides wrt Midfield as they had 4 very good options (Moran, Maher, Buckley & Sheehan) - However, only Moran has performed to the required leel so far this season. Sheehan has had injuries (seems to be injury prone) - Buckley seems to be lacking in confidence and there are questions marks over his stamina whilst Maher has had a dip in form. Kerry need to get these 4 operating at their optimum.

Injuries are having a big impact on Kerry's season - Gooch is obviously a huge loss. Darran O Sullivan and Donaghy have been very unlucky to suffer serious injuries almost immediatly after returns from long lay-offs. It's hard to see them having much impact.

Marc O Se and Donncha Walsh have also had a dip in form although both are such reliable c/ship performers that they should be OK. Kerry have looked vulnerable in the FB line for a while and that looks like it's unresolved.

The newer defenders haven't progressed as much as they might have done, apart from Murphy.

Declan O Sullivan will make a huge difference and the FF line of Geaney, O Brien & JOD looks promising.

Cork seems to have made good progress and based on the historical advantage of playing at home, should win a close Munster Final - Kerry are missing experience and could be vulnerable to a shock in the qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Big year for Declan with Gooch out. He'll be shouldering (excuse the pun) a lot of responsibility this year. He hasnt been performing to his best over the last couple of years. He's one man whose taken a pile of big hits over the years for the cause. Hopefully the extended break over the winter and spring will stand to him and we see him come back reinvigerated for one more crack at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Can the Crokes do the 5 in a row without the Gooch? Word is that South Kerry are making a big push this year with the quality of player at there disposal why not

Killian Young
    Bryan Sheehan
    Declan Sullivan
    Ciaran Keating
    Michael O Connor
    Paul O Donoghoe
    Kevin O Dwyer
    Damien Horgan
    Brian Sugrue
    Robert Wharton
    Niall Fitzgearld
    Fionan Clifford

Would like to see Kieran's make the breakthrough a capture the Bishop Moynihan

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Prop Joe, What club does Michael O'Connor play for?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Can the Crokes do the 5 in a row without the Gooch? Word is that South Kerry are making a big push this year with the quality of player at there disposal why not

Killian Young
    Bryan Sheehan
    Declan Sullivan
    Ciaran Keating
    Michael O Connor
    Paul O Donoghoe
    Kevin O Dwyer
    Damien Horgan
    Brian Sugrue
    Robert Wharton
    Niall Fitzgearld
    Fionan Clifford

alot of those players would not get near the Crokes team...they have no hope of beating the Crokes, if those are their best players.

West kerry are the main team to watch in the coming years, this year maybe too soon for them tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Kerry start their Christy Ring championship campaign at home to Derry on Saturday. Hopefully their league form will carryover into championship.

duchalla wrote: »
    Prop Joe, What club does Michael O'Connor play for?

He's Sneen/Derrynane I'm fairly sure. Decent player, part of UCC Sigerson panel this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gary Gurney

Killian Young
    Bryan Sheehan
    Declan Sullivan
    Ciaran Keating
    Michael O Connor
    Paul O Donoghoe
    Kevin O Dwyer
    Damien Horgan
    Brian Sugrue
    Robert Wharton
    Niall Fitzgearld
    Fionan Clifford

Not many of the names on that list would scare teams prop joe. Cant see Kierans making the breakthrough now that they have lost Currow

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bullseye500

Kerry start their Christy Ring championship campaign at home to Derry on Saturday. Hopefully their league form will carryover into championship.

As a Limerick man it's brilliant to see the growth of the so called weaker teams.Hopefully Kerry can get competitive at the top level in a few years.Be a great to have a Munster championship with every team in the province fighting for the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

alot of those players would not get near the Crokes team...they have no hope of beating the Crokes, if those are their best players.

Ah c'mon atleast 10 of them would walk on the Crokes side.

Hopefully it will be a strong championship

I'd like to see the same but will the loss of gooch bridge the gap that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Do people think playing in D. 1B would have been a help to the hurlers' development in the long term if they'd gone up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fiddykiddler77

Youve named 12 players and you think 10 of them would walk onto the crokes team? Wont name any names but at least 6 of those players would seriously struggle to make the crokes starting team

keane2097 wrote: »
    Do people think playing in D. 1B would have been a help to the hurlers' development in the long term if they'd gone up?

Tough one to call one side it would have been great for their development playing against that standard of team but then again if they got a few hidings it could have been very demoralising.

But if they aspire to play at a higher level they will have to do it at some stage.Some fine hurlers ye have.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

A number of posters have been banned for re-registering and posting here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I think it probably would,if Kerry had gone up and got a full pre season training before the start of the league I think they would be a good position to rattle a few of the teams in 1B,they have to step up at some stage to see how players would react to playing at a higher level.

Getting back to been as competitive as we were in the league during the mid 90s would be great.

We are showing good signs of that happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I know the Kerry manager very well and while he slated the system and rightly labeled it a farce he did admit that he himslef feels that they are not quite ready for the step up and another year in Div 2 will be far more beneficial.

Killian Young
    Bryan Sheehan
    Declan Sullivan
    Ciaran Keating
    Michael O Connor
    Paul O Donoghoe
    Kevin O Dwyer
    Damien Horgan
    Brian Sugrue
    Robert Wharton
    Niall Fitzgearld
    Fionan Clifford

Maybe 5 of those you named would make the Crokes team IMO. Young, Sheehan, Declan, Keating, Paul O'Donoghue at a pinch. Kevin Dwyer has gone back a bit from his best form, Michael O'Connor might squeeze in, but he's young and inexperienced yet. Theoretical exercise, but that would be my view.

There's a bit more to the whole thing than that anyway of course - South Kerry were beaten by Strand Road in Cahersiveen last year in the Championship lest we forget, a long way off Crokes if that's anything to go by!

There's a bit more to the whole thing than that anyway of course - South Kerry were beaten by Strand Road in Cahersiveen last year in the Championship lest we forget, a long way off Crokes if that's anything to go by!

They were unlucky not to bear rahilys that day to be fair if it wasn't for a goal line clearance by Martin Tierney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

They were unlucky not to bear rahilys that day to be fair if it wasn't for a goal line clearance by Martin Tierney

It depends what you mean by unlucky- they had loads of possession in the middle third of the pitch but couldnt finish.
    KOR stayed in the game as long as possible and then scored a late goal to win it- SK lacked a cutting edge and thats why they lost

Regardless of who was lucky or unlucky, Crokes went on to beat Strand Road by ten points. You can grant South Kerry all the bad luck you want and they still wouldn't have been within a hiding of Crokes last year.

Regardless of who was lucky or unlucky, Crokes went on to beat Strand Road by ten points. You can grant South Kerry all the bad luck you want and they still wouldn't have been within a hiding of Crokes last year.

Will anyone will be able to keep touch with them this year also though?

Will anyone will be able to keep touch with them this year also though?

Yeah taking Cooper out leaves them a bit more vulnerable I suppose. They were miles ahead of everyone last year though in fairness.

• Advertisement

Yeah taking Cooper out leaves them a bit more vulnerable I suppose. They were miles ahead of everyone last year though in fairness.

Yeah I think Stacks could give them a proper game if they meet again, once Stacks don't go man to man with them like they did last year because Stacks are a better team than that scoreline IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement