Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Qualifiers Round 3 Draw: Teams named first have home advantage.

Wicklow Vs Down
    Meath Vs Roscommon/Wexford
    Kerry Vs Sligo in Tralee
    Donegal Vs Derry

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Same As wrote: »
    Qualifiers Round 3 Draw: Teams named first have home advantage.

Wicklow Vs Down
    Meath Vs Roscommon/Wexford
    Kerry Vs Sligo in Tralee
    Donegal Vs Derry

Thoughts?

I'd expect another lacklustre performance but to scrape through. Yesterday was pathetic - not scoring against a Div.4 team for 30mins isn't acceptable atall I don't care how bad the weather was. We looked terrible without Donnaghy and suprised our bench didn't have as much as an impact as I expected it to. Darran O'Sullivan came on, ran straight down the wing and ran out of ideas. The only sub who did well was Quirke - steadied the ship at midfield with some good fetching.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

were not dead yet lads. the draw has been good to us and i think we will get over next week. this will see us in croker and i think we will kick on from there. yesterday was similar to last years collapse against cork in MF and i think we can recover from it. the hard training is now over, that game will stand to us and hopefully we will have 3 weeks on the bounce now to take us into an all ireland semi. exciting times ahead, have a funny feeling that we will get past sligo and then get Limerick, Mayo and then Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

were not dead yet lads. the draw has been good to us and i think we will get over next week. this will see us in croker and i think we will kick on from there. yesterday was similar to last years collapse against cork in MF and i think we can recover from it. the hard training is now over, that game will stand to us and hopefully we will have 3 weeks on the bounce now to take us into an all ireland semi. exciting times ahead, have a funny feeling that we will get past sligo and then get Limerick, Mayo and then Dublin!

Are you sure about this? If we get through this weekend and draw say Limerick, i doubt it would be in Croker? I know all the QF's are but I didn't think the last 12 were.

I agreed with P O'Se article yesterday in Indo. First half performance was top class. Could have had one or two more goals if needed but took the easy option (Gooch twice could have gone for goal). Although we were terrible in the second half, injuries probably played a part in this and to be fair, a shock never looked on the cards. At the start of the game I would have taken this result as it really was a terrible day and had all the hallmarks of a day when a shock could have occured.

PS thanks to Kerry supporters who gave me a lift up to match from pub and thanks to decent Longford bloke who picked me up on the way back. Haven't thumbed in years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

Reported in this mornings independent that Donaghy has broken a bone in his right foot.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/croke-park-dug-up-for-u2-as-*cat-dolls-take-over-fitzgerald-stadium-1818810.html

I presume the reporter substantiated that before going to press but maybe he's just speculating. Even if it turns out to be just a sprain I hope they start him on the bench or rest him all together at the weekend. Saturday proved he's key to any success this year. If Donaghy was on the pitch in the 2nd half, we wouldnt have gone 30 minutes without scoring.

Can anyone shed light on Tadgh's injury? I heard at the weekend he won't be risked on Saturday and this was being said before the draw. We're facing a starting 15 next weekend without Donaghy, Declan and Tadgh.

Also, dont write off Sligo they're a much better team then Longford. No disrespect to longford but Sligo will not miss the chances longford missed in the second half last Saturday. The late Galway goal in the Connaught semi-final flattered the score line, sligo missed a great goal opportunity at the start of the second half which I think if it had gone in would have killed Galway.

Whoever plays in the corner with Tom the next day will have their work cut out in dealing with David Kelly and Stephen Coen both very fast and tricky. I reckon because of this Killian will continue at corner back.

Here's a stab at the time I would like to see assuming we have no Donaghy, Declan and Tadgh.

D.Murphy
    T.O'Sullivan
    T.Griffin
    K.Young
    T.O'Sé
    M.O'Sé.
    D.Bohane
    A.Maher
    S.Scanlon
    P.Galvin
    Darragh O'Sé (yes centre forward, see below)
    S.Sullivan
    C.Cooper
    T.Walsh
    B.J. Walsh

Before everyone starts screaming at me about Darragh at centre forward. Here's why;

By playing Darragh at CF we can pull him out Midfield from the off which covers off on two area's it crowds midfield covering up his lack of mobility and more importantly it creates acres of space for T. Walsh to run into which in turn creates space for Barry John and Cooper to run riot in the FF line.

We have scored 1 goal in 3 championship matches and from the semi-final replay and last saturday it was evident or FF line is just too crowded. By giving walsh the space to run into I think that would free up room inside for Gooch and Bj.

If sligo persist with the CB and leave darragh free switch darragh with Maher and use Maher as a runner.

In my humble opinion, the struggle will continue but home advantage and a noisy boisterous crowd will push Kerry to hold out for a 3 point win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Austin Stack Park at 2 according to Star newspaper.^^^I cant get that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Before everyone starts screaming at me about Darragh at centre forward. Here's why;

By playing Darragh at CF we can pull him out Midfield from the off which covers off on two area's it crowds midfield covering up his lack of mobility and more importantly it creates acres of space for T. Walsh to run into which in turn creates space for Barry John and Cooper to run riot in the FF line.

We have scored 1 goal in 3 championship matches and from the semi-final replay and last saturday it was evident or FF line is just too crowded. By giving walsh the space to run into I think that would free up room inside for Gooch and Bj.

If sligo persist with the CB and leave darragh free switch darragh with Maher and use Maher as a runner.

In my humble opinion, the struggle will continue but home advantage and a noisy boisterous crowd will push Kerry to hold out for a 3 point win.

I don't mind the logic besides the major question of why we should take such pains to accommodate a poorly conditioned D O'Se

keane2097 wrote: »
    I don't mind the logic besides the major question of why we should take such pains to accommodate a poorly conditioned D O'Se

I agree with you he's not 70 minutes fit, however in the absence of tadgh and Declan O'Sullivan from the half forward line and because Eamon O'Hara is such a good ball winner I would have darragh in midfield for 50 minutes competing with him.

When it comes to contesting kickouts I'd be afraid for Maher against O'hara's experience on his own. Thats why I would have Darragh in their.

However I still feel Maher is worth a run now to see what he can contribute for the rest of the year especially after his injury.

Kerry v Sligo 5PM Saturday live on TV3

http://www.tv3.ie/sport.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Kerry v Sligo 5PM Saturday live on TV3

http://www.tv3.ie/sport.php
    Yes saw game with Longford. Amazing the turnaround when Star went off. No plan B it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

A bit of star gazing here, but I wonder what are the odds of Galvin and O'Hara getting booked or sent off for a foul on each other? O'Hara is a wind up merchant of the highest order (not a million miles behind Paul tbf:D) and both will have fairly roaming roles.
    I'd say its a possibility if not a probability, as trouble seems to follow young Gal. ;)

Delighted with the draw, very similar to the game we've just come thru, tough, hard working provincial outfit, capable of pushing us, but realistically should be taken care of. IMO the increase in standard is offset by the home venue. Improved conditions would be nice to see the team develop a bit of confidence.

My own team, assuming the worst with dec, star, and tadgh would be this:

Murph
    Marc O Se
    Mike Mc
    Tom Sull
    Tomas O Se
    Tommy Griffin
    Killian Young

Scanlon
    Maher

Paul Galvin
    Sean Sullivan
    Darren Sullivan

Gooch
    Tommy Walsh
    Bryan Sheehan

Lads, I've never seen O'Connor from Kenmare play (actually did he make his debut against cork in the munster final last year? ) , am I right in thinking he's more of a Gooch than a Tommy Walsh in terms of stature! Would he be worth a shot in the corner?

the team the next day will be very interesting, though i believe we will try to start the same team again. jack always had a history of keeping with the same lads and having the same changes to make. we played savage stuff for 40 minutes the last day and then fell apart.

declan will be ok IMO, so the only change (personal) i can see is Galvin in for Star if he is not fit, galvin on wing, walsh on 40, declan in the corner and t walsh at fulll forward. ideally, we would have tadhg in also at midfield for Scanlon, though id give him and darragh another shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

When it comes to contesting kickouts I'd be afraid for Maher against O'hara's experience on his own. Thats why I would have Darragh in their.

Why not just play Quirke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 axelgrease

Lads, you want to be careful here! Sligo are 5 times better than Longford. The performance needs to improve 100%. Kerry should win on all known form, but this one is a real banana skin. Galway almost came a cropper and didn't deserve to beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Looking like more than a rumor , Donaghy facing another long
    layoff , suspected broken metatarsal , no confirmation till Tuesday ,
    best of luck to him , but a disaster for Kerry .

Kingdom wrote: »

Lads, I've never seen O'Connor from Kenmare play (actually did he make his debut against cork in the munster final last year? ) , am I right in thinking he's more of a Gooch than a Tommy Walsh in terms of stature! Would he be worth a shot in the corner?

He'd be about the same height as Colm but he's strong out and fast to boot. I'd have him in before BJ Walsh as he's a more developed player who deserves a shot.

Regarding midfield I'd have Moran as first choice to replace Dara, followed by Quirke and Maher last - he's not worth a starting place from what I've seen of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

manster wrote: »
    What's going to be interesting on Sat is the type of ball being played into the FF line. Last year we had two plans Plan A = kick it in high and if that didn't work go to Plan B = kick it in higher.
    Jack knows this was Kerry's downfall last year.
    He will want quality ball going in. Sean Ban is a great man for the diagonal delivery. Declan can run at players drawing in fouls. But Plan B...:confused: to tell you the truth I haven't a clue but I hope that they are working on something behind closed doors in Killarney.

Well that answers my question. Plan A worked in the first half but against the wind and rain in the second half when Donaghy & Declan went off we were crap. If Longford tore into us in the first half rather than standing back admiring us we would have been in trouble.

Where to start? Tommy Walsh is not comfortable in the FF line. He is not a natural target man like Donaghy. Ok he was man of the match but his talents lie elsewhere. For example, he scored an excellent point in the second half when out 40 yards out and does better running onto the ball. He should be put half forward.

Cooper needs a target man beside him as unfortunately his confidence is not yet up to where he was a few years ago. Again I'm sick of saying it but Quirke could be that man. He like Donaghy has the basketball skills to would compliment Cooper.

What's the point in bringing back Mike Mac if we don't play him against a team like Longford. What are we waiting for? Griffin did ok but feck it, we are Kerry and ok is not good enough. Griffin is a mighty man for midfield and should partner Scanlon. Daragh is not the man he was and looked sloppy on Saturday - he could be played as an impact sub.

I was happy with the half-back line in general but Jesus what are we doing with all that feckin hand passing. It astonishes me to say but Kerry could learn a lot by watching the Dublin match again. I know it weather conditions played their part but we should be able to kick the ball long into what is called 'the best full forward line in the country'.

I worry for us versus Sligo. We are in a rut and need to get out of it fast.

To end on a positive, it was good to see a lot of cars with Kerry colours heading back to Dublin on Saturday, the N4 was full of them. Had to laugh at the two boys wearing Kerry jerseys on the side of the road going for a p;ss in the pouring rain. A case of not enough soakage or too much?

gutted to hear star is out. thats a massive blow. though going off the kerry site, he is only out for 2 weeks as it says rest of the qualifiers, which means he will be back for a potential 1/4 final if we get over there. quirke for FF now surely, if he is not emplyed at midfield.

massive loss and with tadhg out, its turning into the worst year for injuries in the history of kerry! all these have been missing for 6-8 weeks of training except tadhg -

marc
    Tommy walsh
    Scanlon
    Star X 2.
    Killian Young
    Taghg

all in the space of a few weeks and that does not include the likes of Declan and one or 2 more lads who picked up knocks recently also.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Why not just play Quirke?

Darragh gives you more going forward. Against Cork in the drawn game and in the replay he went on solo runs which ended in a point in each game.

I think Quirke has a huge role to play coming off the bench with 20 minutes to go fielding kick outs (as he did last saturday) when we were losing our grip on the game.

• Advertisement

With Donaghy out I'd expect Tommy to fill in at full forward with Darran O' Sullivan, Paul O'Connor or Brian Sheahan going into the corner. Quirke isn't a full forward and Tommy has more experience playing on top of the square than him. If Declans out then maybe pull Colm out to centre - we all know he can do a job there spreading the play, delivering quality ball in, and fill the other corner with another one of the players I've mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Neither was Star a full forward until he was played there in '06.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

Kerry team to play Sligo
    Thursday, 16 July 2009
    (1) Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle) (2) Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) (3) Tommy Griffin (Dingle) (4) Tom O’Sullivan (Rathmore) (5) Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) (6) Mike McCarthy (Kilcummin) (7) Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore) (8) Darragh Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) (9) Seamus Scanlon (Currow) (10) Paul Galvin (Finuge) (11) Declan O’Sullivan (Piarsaigh Na Dromada) (12) Donnacha Walsh (Cromane) (Captain) (13) Colm Cooper (Dr. Crokes)(14) Tommy Walsh (Kerins O'Rahilly) (15) Seán O’Sullivan (Cromane)

Good,strong experienced team named.
    Hopefully good enough to beat Sligo on Saturday.

very impressed with this team. full of experience and 13 of the side that won 2006 all ireland.

great also to see tadhg back on the bench though i dont expect him to take any part until the week after if we get through. lets get this f*cking show on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I'm very impressed with the Kerry lineup.I thought Declan O Sullivan was out injured.It will be interesting to see if he is still able to move at 100%.Galvins return is a huge boost for Kerry and should make up for Donaghy's injury.

Kerry to win by 6 and the pundits to stop talking of a Kerry decline.I'm confident that the Kerry backs can keep Eamon O Hara and Sean Davey quiet but we'll see on Saturday.Sligo are a bit bogey.They really put it up to Galway and should have won and then struggled to get past an improving Tipperary side.Tralee will be a big factor in the game.I'm looking forward to this game.If Sligo are much better than Longford and Kerry don't improve,it will be tight but I think Kerry will win anyway.Kerry are usually more clinical up front and Sligo will need to keep the wides tally very low to sneak a win.This is something Longford couldn;t do and paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭deeno1975

very impressed with this team. full of experience and 13 of the side that won 2006 all ireland.

Can't say I'm "very impressed" with this team... More of the same...

Firstly I wonder if Mike McCarthy is up to the pace of championship and if so why wasn't he brough on with 20 min to go in the Longford game when the Kerry half back line was all at sea...

Not sure if Darragh should be started, might be better to start Moran and bring him on as an impact sub with 20 minutes to go rather than taking him off...

Will Galvin keep the head, not happy with his shot selection and point getting skills...

Never seen Seán O’Sullivan in the corner before, is his free taking under pressure good enough...

This team is more of the same and I don't think (although I hope) will ignite the championship... The'll squeeze past Sligo but won't impress (again).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Ok, my intention is not to slate Jack here. He is the manager, has seen all the games at training etc. But why pick this team?

3 players out of position, when we have better options on the bench!

Mike Mac, is far from being an Intercounty CB, so i presume he'll swap with Tommy G... but why not name the team that way?

Aiden O'Mahoney, is not a Wing Back. If you watch the 2007 season, where he played his best football, he heald the Middle, and drove forward from there notching up a few vital scores for us. However put him on the wing... a la Cork... he's anonymous.

Sean Sullivan? He was useless in my mind against Longford. Did nothing creative really. Did play a nice ball or two into Star... but Star isn't playing on Saturday. If he's on for the free taking alone, i'd play Sheehan. Far better range on free's and has shown well in the last two games he's played against Cork, and Should not have been the man coming off for Darren O'Sull.

And Darren O'Sull is the last point im going to end on. He gives his all, made a few darting runs against Longford, which didn't come to much due to a few bad decisions on his part, and a wholy inept refereeing performance form our "favourite" ref Gearóid Ó Cnámha. Better known in Kerry as the ref with the Dog from Limerick a few years ago... where he also tried to even the game up, by not awarding Kerry any free's in the second half. Anyway my point is they were the worst condidtions for a footballer like Darren yet he made some impact. Plus if you name a decent player captain... why leave him on the bench, while playing 2 other players from the same Region.

Anyway, im worried for Saturday. Sligo have a lot of Pace in the half backs (another reason why i'd have Darren on) , and up front. And although they aree a division 4 side... they pushed our Division 1 counterparts Galway very close. However Jack has delivered time and time again for Kerry, and I fully trust that he will lead us to victory on Saturday.

Ciarraí Abú and In Jack we Trust!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Hope ye're all going!
    Kerry football manager, Jack O'Connor, has sounded a rallying call to the county's supporters to get behind the team in Tralee on Saturday.

O'Connor made his impassioned plea -- something similar to a chord he struck in 2006 before the visit of Longford to Killarney -- as rumours of discontent and disgruntlement swept across the county.

O'Connor is no stranger to this situation, however, and feels now is the right time for genuine Kerry followers to show their support by getting to Austin Stack Park for Sligo's visit.

"The bottom line is that it is a great opportunity for the Kerry supporters to come out and support the team. I think that's the big thing for this week," he said.

"I would say it's critical because this team has given pleasure to Kerry supporters over the last five years and they are on a mission this year to reach a sixth final in a row, which is something that no Kerry team has ever done."

Irish Indo
    July 15
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaa-championships/gaelic-football/oconnor-issues-rallying-call-to-kingdom-faithful-1821950.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Its hard to know which team to pick and it doesnt really matter cos if kerry win by 10 + points it will be cos Sligo are a div 4 outfit and if we only win by a point or two it will be cos of a poor kerry team who arent hungry for it.

Was in Longford last weekend and it was impossible to gauge that game.

Thing is our championship doesnt start properly until we start playing in Croker.

Looking forward to a rare day out in Tralee, dont have as far to travel this time, should get there early as big crowd expected.

Ciarrai Abu'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

Well,just home from the game.
    Exciting but hard to take.
    We are nowhere at the moment.
    If the Sligo penalty taker scored,we were out of the championship.
    Simple as.
    Lot of fellas under performing,Scan,Sean Sul,both Walshs & Gooch.
    Galvin was outstanding in the first half.
    Two of the Sés played well but Marc was roasted by the nippy #13 Kelly.

A friend of mine texted me after the game, "hopefully we get Antrim in Killarney".
    Fingers crossed...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement