Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,728 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Amprodude wrote: »
    A bit like Tadgh Kenneally against Cork in 2009 but only difference is Tadgh Kenneally stayed on the pitch. Real consistency there. But sure you arent going to agree.

Stayed on the pitch?? Not sure he was even booked!! That was a scandalous decision.

Today's red really should have been yellow I think. If all the rules were enforced to the letter of the law a game could finish 11 a side!!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Actually think Donaghy should get the start at FF next Saturday. Couldn't possibly see Ger Cafferkey living with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well done DDC1990 you really got the Donaghey call right.

How did you guys think the other Kerry subs worked out ?

Declan had to come in far to early obviously, but did not see how much Sheenan, Young or BJK added.
    O' Leary obviously scored the equaliser.

On the Keegan thing, the red was correct palin and simple, it was a strike or attempt to strike.
    I'm not sure how the ref could have explained why he did not give a red had he given a yellow.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

More heartbreak for the Kerry Ladies again this year,lost to Dublin 2-12 to 1-10

O Sullivan has brought in this blanket defense that didn't work against Cork, was easily broken by Donegal the last day as well. It was when Dublin went very far in front that Kerry threw off the blankets and went after them, and closed the gap. Don't understand the things he and his management team trying to pull, naming a dummy team etc, they have some fantastic footballers, the two Louise's, Bernie Breen, Scanlon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Somehow missed that Jacko was managing your minors.

No a bad manager to have at minor level is it! Bet those kids are buzzing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭flasher0030

DDC1990 wrote: »
    What was harsh? Kick or attempt to kick with minimal force is a Red card. It was intentional. It was harmless, but that doesn't make it harsh. Rules are rules.

True. But if every single incident went by the letter of the law, then there would not be many players left on the pitch after 70 minutes - in particular for striking or attempting to strike. Colm Boyle (who was outstanding I thought) had a couple of swings, along with his man. And actually Johnny Buckley would have gotten red in the same incident as Lee Keegan for striking or attempting to strike an opponent, and did it with a closed fist after the ref blew his whistle.

I'm not saying they should have got sent off. I'm saying that there absolutely needs to be rules there to maintain discipline. But there needs to be a slight element of common sense to be administered by refs. It's not easy for them in fairness. But if Lee Keegan gets sent off for a childish and frustrated swing of his foot - have a look at every incident next week in the Donegal v Dublin game, and see how many times the letter of the law will not be applied.

I'm sure Lee Keegan and Mayo would accept the punishment if such rules were applied consistently. The officials are not perfect. They will miss things. But take the Keegan incident yesterday. Even if in 8 out of 10 times for striking/attempting to strike/kicking out/violent behaviour - the ref sends off a player, then there is some consistency. But it's probably the opposite. Going by the exact interpretation of the rules, it would probably be the opposite - i.e. 20% of the time somebody would get send off for such offences - and as I say I'm talking about the exact interpretation of the rules.

That's the frustrating part, and what makes it not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Well done DDC1990 you really got the Donaghey call right.

How did you guys think the other Kerry subs worked out ?

Declan had to come in far to early obviously, but did not see how much Sheenan, Young or BJK added.
    O' Leary obviously scored the equaliser.

On the Keegan thing, the red was correct palin and simple, it was a strike or attempt to strike.
    I'm not sure how the ref could have explained why he did not give a red had he given a yellow.

Sheehan was a mistake to bring on so early. I felt Mikey Geaney was giving us loads and still had lots left in the tank. Sheehan really struggled and Mayo destroyed us around the middle when Geaney's work rate was gone.

BJK made that exceptional catch at the end that led to Sheehan's free but wasn't on long enough to do much else. O'Leary came up big with the score. Couldn't say how Killian did. Didn't notice him, but that's not always a bad thing for a back.

Declan was a calming influence, but it struck me as a bit of a panic call from Fitzy. The tactic was clearly to use O'Brien in the space but Mayo shut that space down so well, so he went to plan B.

On Donaghy, he's got the old spring back and looked really fit in Club games. Should have been on sooner but I'm thankful we got the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Taking off Geaney essentially meant we were taking off our best player on the day for winning breaks - he got through an amount of work yesterday in fairness to him

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Some lads really stood up to the plate yesterday.

Moran was brilliant. Maher was excellent until he ran out of steam, but kept Seamus O'Shea quiet as he did with Ó'Curraín of Galway.

Geaney and Donnacha played very well but once Geaney went off Donnacha struggled by himself.

Crowley had a good game. Fionn and Murphy did well enough, their men were quiet.

Was disappointed with Kelly's kickouts in the second half. USE THE FREE MAN!

James did well considering he was double/triple marked. Not his greatest day though.
    Paul looked great under the high ball, but rushed his shots a bit.

O'Brien could have been given more time, but really our tactic early wasn't working, so Fitzy made the change.

Buckley did well till he ran out of steam, a missed interception let Vaughan through for the penalty. Some great interceptions to set up counter attacks.

Kelly 6
    Marc 6
    Aidan 6
    Enright 6
    Murphy 7
    Crowley 7
    Fionn 7
    Maher 8
    Moran 9
    M.Geaney 8
    Buckley 8
    Donnacha 8
    O'Brien 6
    Geaney 7
    JO'D 8

Subs:
    Declan 6
    Sheehan 6
    Killian 7
    BJK 10 (for that catch ;) )
    Donaghy 9
    O'Leary 8

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Was at the game and watched it again on rte player when I came home.

I thought Geaney was outstanding, JOD had another fantastic game and my heart was in my mouth when he was breaking through for the goal chance, he had nothing else on his mind but to bury that ball but got too much power in the shot. Moran was my motm though simply for the sheer work he put in- he kicked two booming points and laid that ball on a plate for Donaghy for the goal.

I wouldn't have been a fan of Donaghy in the last year or two and he had done nothing but stroll around picking fights in the semi last year with Dublin but he took those balls magnificently and might be worth a start next week in the full forward line. I would hate to be Mayo having to mark him and JOD.

Mayo deserve huge credit but they got their tactics wrong in the first half. Running at Kerry paid huge dividends in the second. Mayo are looking for a two week break for a reason- their work was Trojan- be hard to replicate that form in 6 days time.

I thought that Mayo had 15 men with the ref as after the man was sent off (harsh call imo but he had stamped on Declan five minutes earlier so I think it was a combination of the two) as he was only pointing one way but when Mayo went a point up Kerry got every call. I hate to see that crap. Let them play football.

Aidan O Shea waving card signs was a disgrace considering he was fouling every man around him in midfield all day long.

I wouldn't be hopeful in Limerick as its a narrow pitch and Mayo will not be that niave tactically twice. The extra game will help both teams for whoever gets through. The Mayo supporters were a joy as always- pure footballing people.

The negatives- Marc O Shea had a poor game. Was away from his man a lot in the second half. He is not a natural in the full back line- He would be better suited to the half back. What the hell he was doing in front of the goal for the last few minutes is beyond me. Left too much through him.

I think Sheehan could have had another 15 yards to move that ball forward as the ref seemed to be moving it forward but Sheehan pointed to the ground and placed it there. Could have been the winning.

Very proud of Kerry coming back but usual second half slump strikes again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭wonga77

whats the story with tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Maybe I'm looking at this through rose tinted glasses but how James O'Donoghue did not get MOTM is beyond me. He scored 1-03 from play and was double and sometimes triple marked leaving space for other players. He scored the goal that was the turning point of the game. Cillian O'Connor scored a total of 1-8, 0-3 from open play. If James scored the one that came off the post, would he then have been given MOTM.

The sending off actually benefitted Mayo. Playing defensively in the first half, they were 4 points down when Keegan was sent off. The had to play attacking football in the second half and I believe the sending off influenced that decision. Tactically they had no other option.

Lads, I was on Donnocadh Walshs wing yesterday and the man wasn't interested in the 2nd half - plain and simple - he didn't look for the ball, he tracked his man and made a few straight line runs down his wing but overall he was as poor as I've seen him for Kerry, to the point where I'm expecting to hear about a knock.

Mayo will probably feel the same way - but I think Kerry will look back and really feel that they can improve further on a solid performance - Mayo made far less individual errors than Kerry yesterday with almost all of Kerrys resulting in scores. Marc in the first two mins really sticks out

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

wonga77 wrote: »
    whats the story with tickets?

I presume they will go on sale later today or tomorrow, probably doing a safety inspection in the GG to determine the exact capacity so they know how many tickets they can put on general sale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭flasher0030

manster wrote: »
    Maybe I'm looking at this through rose tinted glasses but how James O'Donoghue did not get MOTM is beyond me. He scored 1-03 from play and was double and sometimes triple marked leaving space for other players. He scored the goal that was the turning point of the game. Cillian O'Connor scored a total of 1-8, 0-3 from open play. If James scored the one that came off the post, would he then have been given MOTM.

The sending off actually benefitted Mayo. Playing defensively in the first half, they were 4 points down when Keegan was sent off. The had to play attacking football in the second half and I believe the sending off influenced that decision. Tactically they had no other option.

But he didn't score it. So he doesn't get man of the match. Pretty simple. If Cillian O'Connor scored the goal where he was rounding the goalie (when he was pulled back and should have got a penalty) - he would have scored 2-08. James O'Donoghue played good. Cillian O'Connor played slightly better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Was at the game and watched it again on rte player when I came home.

I thought Geaney was outstanding, JOD had another fantastic game and my heart was in my mouth when he was breaking through for the goal chance, he had nothing else on his mind but to bury that ball but got too much power in the shot. Moran was my motm though simply for the sheer work he put in- he kicked two booming points and laid that ball on a plate for Donaghy for the goal.

I wouldn't have been a fan of Donaghy in the last year or two and he had done nothing but stroll around picking fights in the semi last year with Dublin but he took those balls magnificently and might be worth a start next week in the full forward line. I would hate to be Mayo having to mark him and JOD.

Mayo deserve huge credit but they got their tactics wrong in the first half. Running at Kerry paid huge dividends in the second. Mayo are looking for a two week break for a reason- their work was Trojan- be hard to replicate that form in 6 days time.

I thought that Mayo had 15 men with the ref as after the man was sent off (harsh call imo but he had stamped on Declan five minutes earlier so I think it was a combination of the two) as he was only pointing one way but when Mayo went a point up Kerry got every call. I hate to see that crap. Let them play football.

Aidan O Shea waving card signs was a disgrace considering he was fouling every man around him in midfield all day long.

I wouldn't be hopeful in Limerick as its a narrow pitch and Mayo will not be that niave tactically twice. The extra game will help both teams for whoever gets through. The Mayo supporters were a joy as always- pure footballing people.

The negatives- Marc O Shea had a poor game. Was away from his man a lot in the second half. He is not a natural in the full back line- He would be better suited to the half back. What the hell he was doing in front of the goal for the last few minutes is beyond me. Left too much through him.

I think Sheehan could have had another 15 yards to move that ball forward as the ref seemed to be moving it forward but Sheehan pointed to the ground and placed it there. Could have been the winning.

Very proud of Kerry coming back but usual second half slump strikes again
    manster wrote: »

Agree totally with the above. The sending off helped Mayo as they had to go man for man in the 2nd half and their half backs started carrying ball forward. They were terrible in the first half, they left M Geaney free to do what he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

D'Agger wrote: »
    Lads, I was on Donnocadh Walshs wing yesterday and the man wasn't interested in the 2nd half - plain and simple - he didn't look for the ball, he tracked his man and made a few straight line runs down his wing but overall he was as poor as I've seen him for Kerry, to the point where I'm expecting to hear about a knock.

You are mad. Walsh was beyond description yesterday.

Tickets have gone on sale on tickets.ie just there

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Was disappointed with Kelly's kickouts in the second half. USE THE FREE MAN!

Mayo fan turned to me with about 15 minutes to go and said "What is actually wrong with your goalkeeper?".

It was atrocious stuff. It looked to me like he was being told several times to hit the wings but **** the course and just put the head down and kept leathering it out to a badly struggling midfield.

Heard someone say if Cluxton was in goals for us in the second half we would have won by eight points, can't say I disagree.

keane2097 wrote: »
    You are mad. Walsh was beyond description yesterday.
    He was pathetic in the second half

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    He was pathetic in the second half

Ah stop, I always said you hadn't a clue :p

Anyone heard anything about Stephen O'Brien?

If he wasn't injured that substitution was a really, really poor decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Heard O'Brien pulled his hamstring, so will miss the game at the weekend. Pity, as he had such a bright start.

Anyone heard anything about Stephen O'Brien?

If he wasn't injured that substitution was a really, really poor decision.

Had a problem with his quad muscle according to Fitzmaurice, got a bang on it. Darren O Sullivan was hamstring twinge

Had a problem with his quad muscle according to Fitzmaurice, got a bang on it. Darren O Sullivan was hamstring twinge

Yeah knew in advance Darran was unlikely to play a part.

Sickened with O'Brien, he was a lot more suited to yesterday's game than O'Sullivan. Will be a big loss for the replay as well if he's unfit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Kerry are a far superior team to Mayo and I predict we will run riot next weekend against this poor Mayo team, and let their be no doubts about that yes they are poor and it would have been the ultimate disgrace to the Green and Gold if Mayo and the referee had beat Kerry yesterday as they tried hard to do.

The referee was disgraceful, the sending off was a sending off yes but common sense should have prevailed as their was no real malice in it and the lad should have got a yellow card. The referee subsequently awarded Mayo 1-05 from frees, Kerry by contrast scored 2 points from frees. There was far worse challenges and several attempts made to half kill Jamesie O'Donoghue which warranted a Red Card and these are the offenses he should have punished.

The referee did everything in his power to rebalance the game in the 2nd game back in favour of Mayo to somehow atone for his mistake.

Kerry are Kerry and we will march on Limerick next Saturday our heads held high, our destiny in our own hands and one thing for sure is Kerry will come out on top, it is clear to see that Kerry are a far superior team to Mayo and whilst we did not play at our best yesterday we overturned a 5 point lead with 4 minutes left and should have won the game, it also shows the lack of bottle by Mayo that they couldn't hold us out. Mayo choked again yesterday in what was their best change since '96 to beat Kerry.

I predict Donaghy's introduction on the 45 minute next weekend to be pivotal and he will destroy Mayo like he did yesterday and so many times before, Mayo cannot handle Donaghy and Jamesie O'Donoghue will bury a few goals.

Kerry will defeat Mayo next weekend by a minimum of ten points, as a the true holders of the flame, Kerry are Kerry and we cannot not allow this Mayo team of perennial chokers to hand Dublin or Donegal a soft All-Ireland again. Kerry must go to the final because there is old scores to settle against both of them teams.

Write off Kerry at your Peril!!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Jesus wept

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nicepoint

Stinicker wrote: »
    Kerry are a far superior team to Mayo and I predict we will run riot next weekend against this poor Mayo team, and let their be no doubts about that yes they are poor and it would have been the ultimate disgrace to the Green and Gold if Mayo and the referee had beat Kerry yesterday as they tried hard to do.

The referee was disgraceful, the sending off was a sending off yes but common sense should have prevailed as their was no real malice in it and the lad should have got a yellow card. The referee subsequently awarded Mayo 1-05 from frees, Kerry by contrast scored 2 points from frees. There was far worse challenges and several attempts made to half kill Jamesie O'Donoghue which warranted a Red Card and these are the offenses he should have punished.

The referee did everything in his power to rebalance the game in the 2nd game back in favour of Mayo to somehow atone for his mistake.

Kerry are Kerry and we will march on Limerick next Saturday our heads held high, our destiny in our own hands and one thing for sure is Kerry will come out on top, it is clear to see that Kerry are a far superior team to Mayo and whilst we did not play at our best yesterday we overturned a 5 point lead with 4 minutes left and should have won the game, it also shows the lack of bottle by Mayo that they couldn't hold us out. Mayo choked again yesterday in what was their best change since '96 to beat Kerry.

I predict Donaghy's introduction on the 45 minute next weekend to be pivotal and he will destroy Mayo like he did yesterday and so many times before, Mayo cannot handle Donaghy and Jamesie O'Donoghue will bury a few goals.

Kerry will defeat Mayo next weekend by a minimum of ten points, as a the true holders of the flame, Kerry are Kerry and we cannot not allow this Mayo team of perennial chokers to hand Dublin or Donegal a soft All-Ireland again. Kerry must go to the final because there is old scores to settle against both of them teams.

Write off Kerry at your Peril!!

Jayus are you actually from Kerry.. ? Embarrassment to Kerry if you are.

Stinicker
    That was a class post.

Brilliant on so many levels.

Keep them coming they make great reading.

• Advertisement

Mayo fan turned to me with about 15 minutes to go and said "What is actually wrong with your goalkeeper?".

It was atrocious stuff. It looked to me like he was being told several times to hit the wings but **** the course and just put the head down and kept leathering it out to a badly struggling midfield.

Heard someone say if Cluxton was in goals for us in the second half we would have won by eight points, can't say I disagree.

I mentioned before this game that there seems to be a lot of expectation placed on the shoulders of some very young and very inexperienced players.

All these young guys really had to have their A games to help Kerry through.

This was an example of where that big game experience was lacking.
    This was Kelly's second game in Croke Park, and his first against any opposition of the level of Mayo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement