Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

gerocks wrote: »
    We are nowhere at the moment.
    i think you will find we are in the next round. we won today.
    If the Sligo penalty taker scored,we were out of the championship.
    Simple as.
    no, we had 3 minutes plus injury time to get an equaliser. we were 2 points up when the penalty was taken, sligo got a point after that.
    Galvin was outstanding in the first half.
    He was outstanding from Start to Finish, not just the first half.
    A friend of mine texted me after the game, "hopefully we get Antrim in Killarney".
    Fingers crossed...

We maybe better off getting a stronger team to be honest. and it could be a neutral game anyway though im not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

If Sligo got the penalty,there is no way Kerry would have got another score.
    The stuffing would have been knocked out of them.
    As for Galvin,he did kick one of the best points of the season in the 2nd half.
    Great that we are in the next round but wasn't this was the game that we were supposed to get the Kerry engine firing on all cylinders again,no?
    I'll gladly take another 'handy' draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Got out of jail there alright. Similar to last week, started quite well and should have gone on in the second half (with strong wind) but failed to.

Thought some of them would have learned about over carrying the ball after last week, but it seems not. Tommy Griffin (although I thought he was ok) tried to solo past four players when two points up with five mins to go. :eek:

Not sure how we can improve it to be honest. Fair play to Jack if he can turn things around. Saying that, Tyrone were nowhere last year until they destroyed the Dubs in the QF. Maybe we need one great performance and we go on from there ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

DDC1990 wrote: »

Mike Mac, is far from being an Intercounty CB, so i presume he'll swap with Tommy G... but why not name the team that way?

Aiden O'Mahoney, is not a Wing Back. If you watch the 2007 season, where he played his best football, he heald the Middle, and drove forward from there notching up a few vital scores for us. However put him on the wing... a la Cork... he's anonymous.

Sean Sullivan? He was useless in my mind against Longford. Did nothing creative really. Did play a nice ball or two into Star... but Star isn't playing on Saturday. If he's on for the free taking alone, i'd play Sheehan. Far better range on free's and has shown well in the last two games he's played against Cork, and Should not have been the man coming off for Darren O'Sull.

And Darren O'Sull is the last point im going to end on. He gives his all, made a few darting runs against Longford, which didn't come to much due to a few bad decisions on his part, and a wholy inept refereeing performance form our "favourite" ref Gearóid Ó Cnámha. Better known in Kerry as the ref with the Dog from Limerick a few years ago... where he also tried to even the game up, by not awarding Kerry any free's in the second half. Anyway my point is they were the worst condidtions for a footballer like Darren yet he made some impact.

Mike Mac had a stormer today I thought - absolutely mopped up everything defended well and showed a cool head (both himself and Tomas) when our defence was under severe pressure. Mahoney played his best football 3 years ago at wing back and has progressively gotten worse since going in the centre - he seems to have bulked up too much and lost some pace. As for Darran O' Sullivan - some impact against Longford?? I didn't see it - Mike Quirke made an impact and that was about it - because he made a change from what was happening before he came on - he won some ball in midfield. Darrens dangerous running at a team and he'll draw frees I'll admit but Sean Sull is close on just as fast as him, and is a much better footballer skills wise imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I wont count Kerry out of this Championship, until they are four points down, and they referee has his whistle to his lips to blow for full time.

However, Kerry will have to be concerned. Hoping for a Tyrone style recovery is valid, but it is by no means guaranteed. Sligo really put it up to them today. The Cork hammering, and the Longford game (where Kerry wantonly took their foot off the gas) should also supplement those concerns.

After Cork struggled to beat Limerick, and Dublin only squeeked past Meath, they were both considered also rans. However, Kerry and Tyrone can score lucky wins over poor opposition, and the pundits will brush it off, and consider them capable of kicking on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

First of all, and i think everyone who was at the match would agree, fair play to the Sligo lads, on the field and in the stands. They were fantastic. Their supporters gave it everything (What a crowd by the way, Tralee packed almost to capacity), but even after loosing were great craic. Met a good few of them out in Tralee last nite and they were Legends!

On the field, they put it up to us, big time. We played much better then the Longford game, but Sligo kept with us for the whole game and could have won with the penalty.
    David Kelly, is a star of a footballer, and i felt sorry that he was the one to miss the penalty. But he made Marc look like a Junior B out there. Tom Sull, quitened him though, and is relishing his old corner back position.

As for Kerry, Positives: Galvin- Pure football today, gave Johnny Davy (whos a fine footballer) a roasting. No Bull****, focused purely on the game and score some spectaculer points.
    Declan - Best game he has had in a long time. Back to old form.
    AOM- ^the same a Declan... good game and gave O'Hara a hiding.
    Diarmuid- I called for him to be dropped, due to his slowness and his poor kickouts... but boy he proved the doubters wrong. Great variations on the kickouts, and 3 great saves (unlucky for the goal)!
    Mike Mac- I said he couldnt play Center Back... I was wrong. Nothing Spectaculer... just simple good football.
    Dara- Lagend... 70mins of Quality. A bit slow, but has proved he's up for 1 more crack at Sam!

Negitives: Tommy Walsh- Anonymous
    Gooch: Still not himself. Did well for a while out around the 40, in a playmaker role, and set up a great chance for Tommy Walsh, but hid in the second half in the corner. Missed a shocking free as well.
    Marc- I hope to god he was carrying an injury, because there is no way a player of his caliber can be beaten again and again out in front, and made look so ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Well Kerry draw Antrim and its a neutral venue.

Possibly Portlaoise on Sat 5pm

Cant really comment on Antrims Ability cos we know very little of them.

All we do know is that Kerrys performance has to be upped considerably if we have dreams of been in croker in August and September

Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Kerry played very bad againist Sligo and were lucky to come away with a win.Whats going on down in Kerry these days their looking dodgy.Their are goin to be up againist it now for the Antrim game??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

Good turn out on Saturday pity about the traffic problems, according to reports from the sligo fans sitting next to us about 100 sligo patrons didnt make it to the game. Which is a pity considering the journey down they made.

Great win for Kerry against a very "up for it" Sligo team. I think sligo would have given any team in the country a run for it last Saturday.

However there's a common theme emerging from our 09 campaign, in the 2 games against cork, after donaghy went off against longford and in the sligo match it was pretty clear that the ball was coming out of the FF line as fast as it was going in, which puts our midfield and half backs under constant pressure. To which our half back line held up very well to on Saturday (Mahony showed glimpses of coming back to form, Mike Mc was solid and Tomás looked to control the game with his dispersion of the ball).

Is it time to put a strong ball winning midfielder in FF? If so I would go with Darragh over Quirke for one simple reason, Darragh will get you scores, Quirke won't.

If Quirke was winning ball in the FF line every intercounty corner back would know he was looking to offload straight away which would end up in gooch and tommy getting impeded, pulled and dragged all over the place. So for that reason I would pick Darragh at FF.

I called for Darragh to be put CF for the sligo game on the assumption that Tommy would be well able to win primary ball in the ff line but this didnt prove to be the case on saturday. I think there's a case for Darragh in FF the next day.

Hopefully Tadgh will be back on Saturday he's badly needed. I would prefer to see him line out at Centre Forward because i think his got great ability to spread the play and his score taking is improving all the time but the reasons for having him at CB are more influencing. We need a blocker in there who has the pace & ability to surge forward and open up the play every now and again.

Perhaps McCarthy for FB the next day he played too well to be dropped completely but for the reasons above I think Tadgh would be more suited to that role.

Here's my 20 euro worth!

Murphy
    Tom Sull
    Mike Mc
    Marc Sé/Reidy
    Tomás
    Tadgh
    Aidan O'Mahony
    Quirke
    Scanlon
    Galvin
    Declan O'Sullivan
    Sean Sullivan
    Cooper
    Darragh
    Tommy.

Good turn out on Saturday pity about the traffic problems, according to reports from the sligo fans sitting next to us about 100 sligo patrons didnt make it to the game. Which is a pity considering the journey down they made.

Great win for Kerry against a very "up for it" Sligo team. I think sligo would have given any team in the country a run for it last Saturday.

However there's a common theme emerging from our 09 campaign, in the 2 games against cork, after donaghy went off against longford and in the sligo match it was pretty clear that the ball was coming out of the FF line as fast as it was going in, which puts our midfield and half backs under constant pressure. To which our half back line held up very well to on Saturday (Mahony showed glimpses of coming back to form, Mike Mc was solid and Tomás looked to control the game with his dispersion of the ball).

Is it time to put a strong ball winning midfielder in FF? If so I would go with Darragh over Quirke for one simple reason, Darragh will get you scores, Quirke won't.

If Quirke was winning ball in the FF line every intercounty corner back would know he was looking to offload straight away which would end up in gooch and tommy getting impeded, pulled and dragged all over the place. So for that reason I would pick Darragh at FF.

I called for Darragh to be put CF for the sligo game on the assumption that Tommy would be well able to win primary ball in the ff line but this didnt prove to be the case on saturday. I think there's a case for Darragh in FF the next day.

Hopefully Tadgh will be back on Saturday he's badly needed. I would prefer to see him line out at Centre Forward because i think his got great ability to spread the play and his score taking is improving all the time but the reasons for having him at CB are more influencing. We need a blocker in there who has the pace & ability to surge forward and open up the play every now and again.

Perhaps McCarthy for FB the next day he played too well to be dropped completely but for the reasons above I think Tadgh would be more suited to that role.

Here's my 20 euro worth!

Murphy
    Tom Sull
    Mike Mc
    Marc Sé/Reidy
    Tomás
    Tadgh
    Aidan O'Mahony
    Quirke
    Scanlon
    Galvin
    Declan O'Sullivan
    Sean Sullivan
    Cooper
    Darragh
    Tommy.
    I wouldn't agree with any of that to be honest.
    Look at the stats, we lorded Midfield... That was down to two men, Darragh and Galvin. Leave Darragh out there.
    Also can you realy leave Seán Sullivan on? Shocking game against Sligo, so many bad wides. After watching the Full game again on TV3's website.
    http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=gaa&tv3_preview=&video=11488

I'd keep the same team, except I'd have Sheahan on in the corner for Seán Sullivan.
    And if Marc was injured, (which he certainly looked on Saturday) I'd play Killian Young for his pace.

Antrim play with a Sweeper, so that means we woud have a free man, Tomás more then likely. Also McKeever (number 12) and Cunningham (13) are their Dangermen. I'd suggest AOM on McKeever, because he'd challenge well at Kickouts and would relish plaing around the middle, where McKeever would play. If not then Tommy Griffen should be given the job.
    As for Cunningham, its a no brainer. Tom O'Sullivan has been the best of a bad lot this year in the backline since he got his corner back slot back. He'll keep Cunningham quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

I wouldn't agree with any of that to be honest.
    Look at the stats, we lorded Midfield... That was down to two men, Darragh and Galvin. Leave Darragh out there.
    Also can you realy leave Seán Sullivan on? Shocking game against Sligo, so many bad wides. After watching the Full game again on TV3's website.
    http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=gaa&tv3_preview=&video=11488

I'd keep the same team, except I'd have Sheahan on in the corner for Seán Sullivan.
    And if Marc was injured, (which he certainly looked on Saturday) I'd play Killian Young for his pace.

Antrim play with a Sweeper, so that means we woud have a free man, Tomás more then likely. Also McKeever (number 12) and Cunningham (13) are their Dangermen. I'd suggest AOM on McKeever, because he'd challenge well at Kickouts and would relish plaing around the middle, where McKeever would play. If not then Tommy Griffen should be given the job.
    As for Cunningham, its a no brainer. Tom O'Sullivan has been the best of a bad lot this year in the backline since he got his corner back slot back. He'll keep Cunningham quiet.

I hear what you're saying about not wanting to change kerry's midfield because of their dominance their last saturday but i dont think Darragh has a full 70 mins or even 55 minutes in the tank for a championship game at midfield especially not at croke park. He tired early into the second half on Saturday but his distribution and score taking ability is too good to waist with an early 2nd half substitution when we're so desperate for a ball winner in the ff line, hence the need for options and variance.

The rationale for what i think is pretty straight forward;

Galvin won more clean catches then Darragh hence why i left him at wing forward, Scanlon handled more of the ball in midfield from breaks and showing for it then darragh thats why i left him there, Quirke came off the bench against longford to field some great ball and did really well when coming on Saturday hence why i suggested he starts the next day.

Second point; Having watched the 3 other provincial finals, Mayo Galway, Tyrone Antrim and to a lesser extent Dublin Kildare the pace through the middle was frightening take Cavanaghs goal for example, can you see Mike Mc, Darragh or Griffin keeping up with him as he tears right through the middle? Not in my book so thats why i would suggest Tadgh's pace and strength at CB.

Mike Mc showed he has something to offer hence why i think he should play at FB.

the man to change our summer - tadhg kennelly. i hope he is back on saturday and i hope he is played at ff. he is the man IMO to take over the roll from Star as the teams leader. he is hungry, was excellent in both cork games and has the drive, presence and skill to be a success in that role.

on a side note, i dont think Stars injury is as bad as is being made out. he was walking unaided of crutches in tralee on saturday.

the man to change our summer - tadhg kennelly. i hope he is back on saturday and i hope he is played at ff. he is the man IMO to take over the roll from Star as the teams leader. he is hungry, was excellent in both cork games and has the drive, presence and skill to be a success in that role.

on a side note, i dont think Stars injury is as bad as is being made out. he was walking unaided of crutches in tralee on saturday.
    Actually i'd like to pick up on that point about Star. Kerry have a few members of the panel out injured, but star was the only one sitting on the sideline on Saturday. This proves how influential he is to the team. He is a Captain in the making... now how to get the Rockies to win the county championship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

My team for Antrim
    D Murphy
    T O Sullivan
    M McCarthy
    M O Se (Just)
    A O Mahony
    T O Se
    K Young (if fit) or A O Se (Is it A? Jacko;s Lad)
    D O Se
    T Kennelly
    D Moran
    Dec O Sullivan
    P Galvin
    C Cooper
    T Walsh
    B Sheehan

Subs I would use on the day
    T Griffin
    Darren O Sullivan
    M Quirke
    D Walsh
    D Bohane

I don't think we can question the goalkeeper
    As for Full Back Line a wise old head like McCArthy will hopefully get the confidence back for Marc
    T O Se now ready to lead at centre back and if Killian Young is injured I think Jacko's young lad deserves another chance.
    I think Kennelly would be the perfect foil for Dara
    At half forward I think it is about time David Moran was given a proper chance
    Like Galvin I can see him winning alot of ball
    Bryan Sheehan is needed for his free kicks in hopefully a three man full forward line. Antrim will give away alot of frees and this man can stick them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jamesonandcoke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Antrim Vs Kerry - Sunday @ 3pm in Tullamore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Great stuff

I get to go to the U2 concert on the sat and the match on the way down on sun.

:)

Magnificent :pac::D

Any news on Kennelly, hearing he'll be back this weekend.

Heard nothing myself on Tadgh but would start on my team.
    I found a funny piece on youtube about the galvin incident last year and for the benefit of those that havnt seen it I tried to start a thread on it.
    Unfortunately some power freak decided to lock the thread.
    As us Kerry people have a since of humour and I think would enjoy this I will risk an unjustified ban by posting here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLw_Wr7F5sI

And I had forgotted why I stopped coming here. You got Big Brother and then you got the Mods in here;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Heard nothing myself on Tadgh but would start on my team.
    I found a funny piece on youtube about the galvin incident last year and for the benefit of those that havnt seen it I tried to start a thread on it.
    Unfortunately some power freak decided to lock the thread.
    As us Kerry people have a since of humour and I think would enjoy this I will risk an unjustified ban by posting here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLw_Wr7F5sI

And I had forgotted why I stopped coming here. You got Big Brother and then you got the Mods in here;)

If you have a problem with the moderating on this forum, there are ways to air your grievences. Posting in a different thread on the forum complaining about the moderating is not one of them and could earn you an infraction for going off topic. An explanation of what the other thread was locked was posted in that thread. One of the roles of the moderators on any forum is to ensure that that forum runs smoothly, that is the main reason that that other thread was locked. As for posting a link that you think will get you banned, looks like you are trying to make some sort of pathetic point.

Anyway back on topic, I can see Kerry winning again this weekend, but they are in a no win situation. Win by loads and it was expected, win by a narrow margin and they are in decline.

• Advertisement

If you have a problem with the moderating on this forum, there are ways to air your grievences. Posting in a different thread on the forum complaining about the moderating is not one of them and could earn you an infraction for going off topic. An explanation of what the other thread was locked was posted in that thread. One of the roles of the moderators on any forum is to ensure that that forum runs smoothly, that is the main reason that that other thread was locked. As for posting a link that you think will get you banned, looks like you are trying to make some sort of pathetic point.

Anyway back on topic, I can see Kerry winning again this weekend, but they are in a no win situation. Win by loads and it was expected, win by a narrow margin and they are in decline.

So to continue with the topic we (kerry) have been getting a fantastic draw. Each team a little better than the one before but probably not good enough to actually beat us. Best of all win on sunday and we are back to the home of kerry football and kilkenny hurling for the rest of the season.
    We aint finished yet methinks!
    By the way wasn't Galvin magnificent last saturday:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Lads are tv3 carrying the game nah?I know its on rte.ie is this any good......

No TV3 coverage, and the RTE.ie stream is a bit crap to be honest. However, i'd prefer the Jumpy Stream that doesn't display the score, to listening to Peter "The Absolutlyfantasticallygreat" compare every play in every game to a Tyrone one. Gets on my nerves.

Anyway, that is slightly off Topic. Kerry to win this Weekend. Kennely on the Radio last night said he'd be playing some part and that he is fully fit.
    I expect to see him in place of Seán Sullivan, and Maybe start full forward. Put Tommy in the Corner with Gooch. If that doesn't happen. Sheehan for Seán Bán and Tadhg for Donnacha Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zuluboy

No TV3 coverage, and the RTE.ie stream is a bit crap to be honest.
    As the RTE.ie stream is only available to the island of Ireland, will there be any way of watching it outside Ireland? Will Setanta still be showing it in pubs in the UK?

I hope tadhg is full forward on Sunday. would make most sense with Sean Ban on the wing instead of D Walsh. The rest of the team, barring injuries, would remain the same.

the fact that the team is not being named until the weekend means we have some injuries, possible Marc. Reidy in for Marc if he is injured, with maybe O Mahony dropping back to man mark one of their danger lads and Griffan being let free to roam to suit Antrims game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭finbarrk

zuluboy wrote: »
    As the RTE.ie stream is only available to the island of Ireland, will there be any way of watching it outside Ireland? Will Setanta still be showing it in pubs in the UK?

We were in Blackpool the weekend before last and there didn't seem to be any way of seeing the games anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jimmym

just heard gooch and tomas o se have been dropped for
    disciplinary reasons, also hearing rumours of
    certain other players enjoying high life,
    seems jacks book has caused major trouble,
    any one shed any light on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

The 2 lads were boozing last weekend. I have it on good word that there will be SIX players dropped for disciplinary reasons, all high profile names and all starters. I presume this can't be true though, and i hope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

jimmym wrote: »
    just heard gooch and tomas o se have been dropped for
    disciplinary reasons, also hearing rumours of
    certain other players enjoying high life,
    seems jacks book has caused major trouble,
    any one shed any light on this?
    Shurwhynot wrote: »
    The 2 lads were boozing last weekend. I have it on good word that there will be SIX players dropped for disciplinary reasons, all high profile names and all starters. I presume this can't be true though, and i hope!!

Kerry rumours thread merged with Kerry discussion thread.

FYI for the posters who posted in the Kerry discussion thread, we take a very dim view of unsubstantiated rumours around here as they can cause a lot of problems. So if you want to post something you had better be able to back it up or you could be banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

I think the front page of the examiner is pretty good backup!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement