Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭thesultan

IS Griffin too bulky ? Kerry need a mobile strong full back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

keane2097 wrote: »
    I would think AOM might stay around. He's been terrific this year, unlike the other two hasn't shown much signs of slowing down. Even Marc tbf has only dropped off slightly, would still be an asset if the body isn't too broke up.

Declan I would say is probably out of road with injuries etc.

Our forward line will be pretty tough to get into next year with Gooch back and very possibly Tommy as well.

AOM has a wedding scheduled for July of next year - very hard to see him having a wedding scheduled for then if he was planning on sticking around.

Very hard to see Declan putting his body through more pain.

With Marc I think it's a question of whether he would be interested in being a squad player as opposed to being close to an automatic starter.

All 3 have given the county jersey mighty service so if they do ride off into the sunset it will be with massive thanks for all they've done for the green and gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

with the way that Mahoney was sprawled on the pitch afterwards the last day, it looked like a man who was saying "im going to soak this in, one last time".

anybody else hear this story about Donegal and their mind games in the run up to the game involing a certain hotel that Kerry normally attend on all Ireland final weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

anybody else hear this story about Donegal and their mind games in the run up to the game involing a certain hotel that Kerry normally attend on all Ireland final weekend?

tell us more, no need to be so vague... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Theres alot of talk about next year and our young team, but our team isnt that young when you look at it.

Marc, aidan, Star, Declan, Sheehan, Gooch, Darran(28) are all around 30+, Killian must be 29.

Have a feeling that we could lose at least 3 more players this year now, especially Declan. The ideal scenario is that they play for another year with 4 or 5 of those minors put into the panel next year and given one season to bed into senior football

30 isn't that old.

Anyway, the average age of the starting 15 yesterday was 26.66, FYI

mystic86 wrote: »
    30 isn't that old.

Anyway, the average age of the starting 15 yesterday was 26.66, FYI

with the demands placed on lads these days at the top top level, 30 is the cut off point for a lot of lads.

playing to 34 or 35 now is incredibly rare, marc and aidan are huge exceptions.

Declan is definately gone id say, but seems to be coming around that Star is coming back for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

with the demands placed on lads these days at the top top level, 30 is the cut off point for a lot of lads.

playing to 34 or 35 now is incredibly rare, marc and aidan are huge exceptions.

Declan is definately gone id say, but seems to be coming around that Star is coming back for another year.

I wouldn't agree with that. It's more to do with desire to continue and devote time to a career that causes lads t give it up in their early thirties imo.

Physically these lads peak for a 4-6 week period at the end of the summer (other teams will peak earlier based on expectations), which is very doable well into your thirties if you look after yourself properly.

When you see soccer players playing well into their thirties as well as sprinters and rugby players, which imo are more physically demanding because of having to play at the top level for most of the year, then it shows that it can be done if you look after yourself and avoid serious injury.

90 pitch sessions and 90 gym sessions was what was mentioned last night in Killarney

That sort of commitment is incredibly difficult to justify when you are into your 30s and have family and work to be concerned with and already have a pocketful of medals.

I wouldn't agree with that. It's more to do with desire to continue and devote time to a career that causes lads t give it up in their early thirties imo.

Physically these lads peak for a 4-6 week period at the end of the summer (other teams will peak earlier based on expectations), which is very doable well into your thirties if you look after yourself properly.

When you see soccer players playing well into their thirties as well as sprinters and rugby players, which imo are more physically demanding because of having to play at the top level for most of the year, then it shows that it can be done if you look after yourself and avoid serious injury.

professional footballers dont train anywhere near the level of the top class senior county players.

look at celbrity baineastoir a few years ago when Stephen Irelands missus was training a team, and Ireland was at one session.

he was shocked at the training she was doing with them and said even professionals didnt get to that level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

professional footballers dont train anywhere near the level of the top class senior county players.

look at celbrity baineastoir a few years ago when Stephen Irelands missus was training a team, and Ireland was at one session.

he was shocked at the training she was doing with them and said even professionals didnt get to that level.
    I'm sorry but no....just no

Professional athletes train better than GAA players right now - don't get me wrong, GAA players have to work 40hour weeks or more on top of the training they're putting in, and to that end I believe they're more dedicated to do it no monetary gain, but to say that professional athletes don't train as hard as county GAA teams is ludicrous man

Also - whats the story you were on about ya big tease?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Check this out, Club or County??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Fair ****s to John, brilliant stuff. Congrats to Ardfert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

lol

Edit: Just to clarify, this goes back again to the year-round thing. GAA players train really hard for 8-12 weeks and peak for a month to 6 weeks. During this time the sessions they do may be more intense than similar ones that the pros do, but that's only to bring their fitness up to the required standard from a much lower base. After the championship they can take it easy for a few months before building up again for the league, but this would be at a much lower intensity, and the older players often don't come back to the county scene until the end of the league, case in point being Galvin for his last couple of seasons.

Soccer players and other pro athletes maintain a much higher standard of fitness almost year-round. Pro athletes typically train twice a day 6 days a week, and only take 2-4 weeks off per year. I think I remember hearing that a couple of years back Fernando Torres had no more than a two week break over a period of two years between Liverpool and Spain commitments. If you look at the conditioning level of your average GAA player and compare that to a soccer player or maybe more appropriately an AFL footy player, there is a world of difference. Look at how Tommy Walsh has changed since he moved to the Sydney Swans, he lost a good stone of weight I'd say and his bodyfat is down around 8%. Another point would be how the GAA players get thrown around the place in the international rules series every time the AFL players up the physicality. There's just no comparison in the strength and conditioning stakes.

Now don't get me wrong, the GAA guys are decent athletes, and for full time working men are very fit, but to say that they are anywhere near pro level is absolutely ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

I had assumed that Declan, Aidan and Mark would all go out to Stud this winter. But from readng a couple of the interviews with Eamon Fitz, it seems Declan is to undergo ops at Xmas on the knees.
    Marc Sé looked in fine fettle since coming on against Mayo.

If AOM is getting married next summer, you would have to imagine that is him out alright, even though Fitz reckons he is physically able for it.

When you think that Gooch will be back, Tommy Walsh almost certain to be back, probably Killian Spillane stepping up, and the likes of Pa Kilkenny, Jonny Lyne, Mark Griffin, Enright, and a couple of other lads getting more experience this season, then it really is a good time to be a Kerry supporter.

Kelly, Fitzgerald, Enright, Kilkenny, Crowley, Murphy, Moran, O'Leary, Buckley, O'Brien, Geaney, Geaney, O'Donoghue, Lyne, Griffin....these guys all have a Celtic Cross in their pockets, and they've the rest of the decade still to come at their peak. Wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

https://twitter.com/Jamesod7/status/514264882196512768

Man James O'Donaghue is gas. This was posted at 5am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭kerryjack

DDC1990 wrote: »

The life of a kerry footballer what a guy and what a year he had

Check the picture of Jame O D and Kieran Donaghy before their appearence on The Sunday Game,to which he he commented

"Donaghy about to talk a heap of garbage" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

DDC1990 wrote: »

He's hardly cleaning up!!

Lucky fúcker!

Video clip of last nights homecoming in Tralee

Check the Garda at the start guestering to the crowds to raise the noise levels :)

• Advertisement

Kingdom wrote: »
    When you think that Gooch will be back.

Apparently he took a full part in the "climb-a-tree" spy-gate session.

I had been talking to a friend of his who was convinced if his injury was two weeks earlier, he'd have been on the bench.

From all that I think the whole rehab process has to have been going pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Apparently he took a full part in the "climb-a-tree" spy-gate session.

I had been talking to a friend of his who was convinced if his injury was two weeks earlier, he'd have been on the bench.

From all that I think the whole rehab process has to have been going pretty well.

JOD in the papers yesterday echoed what BJ had told me the week of the game that Gooch played the training match on Tuesday night and was unreal. Very close to getting back playing I'd say.

God help who Crokes draw in the East Kerry Championship if Gooch is close to returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gordon West

As a spectacle, it was the worst final since 1980, when Roscommon came with negative tactics to Croke Park and failed to stop Kerry win a three in a row.
    Today's game deserves to be forgotten in a footballing sense. Kerry changed and adapted their style of play to match the Donegal defensive setup. One must remember the scores missed by Kerry in the second half kept the outcome in doubt up to the finish. As Fitzmaurice said after the game, Kerry were creating a lot more chances and openings than were Donegal. McGuinness got his lineup and tactics seriously wrong, when one considers the impact his subs made. McBrearty and Toye should have started the game. The one goal chance that Donegal created in the first half, missed the Kerry post by an inch and resulted in the Donegal forward being substituted a minute later, while the likes of McFadden who was well beaten throughout by Marc O'Se was left on the field for the 70 minutes.
    Well done to the Kingdom. The better players, won with superior tactics. Sometimes negative is good.
    It's not the Kerry way but needs must!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gordon West

As a spectacle, it was the worst final since 1980, when Roscommon came with negative tactics to Croke Park and failed to stop Kerry win a three in a row.
    Sunday's game deserves to be forgotten in a footballing sense. Kerry changed and adapted their style of play to match the Donegal defensive setup. One must remember the scores missed by Kerry in the second half kept the outcome in doubt up to the finish. As Fitzmaurice said after the game, Kerry were creating a lot more chances and openings than were Donegal. McGuinness got his lineup and tactics seriously wrong, when one considers the impact his subs made. McBrearty and Toye should have started the game. The one goal chance that Donegal created in the first half, the Kerry post by an inch and resulted in the Donegal forward being substituted a minute later, while the likes of McFadden who was well beaten throughout by Marc O'Se was left on the field for the 70 minutes.
    Well done to the Kingdom. The better players, won with superior tactics. Sometimes negative is good.
    It's not the Kerry way but needs must!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

What a great group of lads they have been, couldn't be happier for them. In their last four games against Cork, Kildare, Mayo and Donegal, they have been ran close in the closing stages by each of these teams and have reacted and kicked on. They've shown great character all year and won all their games by at least 4 points.

Shane Ryan was outstanding yesterday as he has been for the last two years. When backs were against the walls on Sunday he made two massive saves, and kept us in control. I know we shouldn't be surprised as he has been doing it all year. The Full back line were solid as they have been all year. I felt O Beaglaoich was outstanding yesterday, he went on McBrearty after he kicked two points and took him out of the game and went on plenty of his runs up the field. Himself and Tom Sullivan remind me of young Marc O Se's. Tight and strong at the back but every bit as good going forward and both outstanding footballers. Dan Donoghue found his place in the corner the passed few games and made it his own. Was in and out of the team at the start of the year, but made the corner back position his own and rarely put a foot out of place.

Half back who had been strong since the Munster Final after a rocky start to the year were solid. Brian Sugrue who had a poor Munster final made up for it the last few games, solid and kept his man quiet. Andrew Barry what a player this guy is minor again next year, big and strong and minds the house, did a fantastic job on Sunday. Coffey had probably his worst game all year. Jack was quick to take him off but he wasnt going well. A big reason to why we beat Mayo, as when things werent going right in the Forwards, he was carrying ball and marked their talisman Akrim out of the game. Better days ahead for this guy.

What can you say about the two guys at midfield. Outstanding? Brilliant? Unbeleivable? There isn't enough superlatives and again on Sunday they were dominant. Barry Sullivan is a young Dara O Se mark my words. A natural leader and has steadied the ship all year when things werent going as planned. Chipped in with two massive points yesterday also. O Connor caught some massive balls yesterday, as he has been doing all year with club, school and County. Will be one of the main players on this team next year as he has been already this year.

Flaherty along with O Sullivan has been the heart and soul of this team. One of the smallest and lightest fellas on the team but makes up for it with a massive heart, engine and great football skills. Was as industrious as ever. Rayel played the perfect link man role as he has been when called upon all year providing great ball into our inside line. Came under alot of pressure from Carey all year but has kept him out of the team on most occasions and made his case in doing so with his football. Burns is one of these guys that looks primed for Senior in the next few years. Was massive on Sunday after an awful semi final by his own standards. Kicked 3 points from play. Was my man of the match followed closely by O Beaglaoich. Great performance by a great player, made for the big stage.

Tomas had his worst game to date, but took his point well. He's been vital to us all year. Sunday was the only game he didnt get a goal in, in which he started. He has been a goal machine all year, tormenting defences with his pace and skill. Hope he is ok after his fall on the stage in Killarney last night, haha. Kearney one of the unluckiest fellas all year, has been a super sub and probably would have started any other year at minor. O Sullivan and O Connor, have been outstanding but Kearney along with them, has also been at midfield. Has caught some massive ball at midfield all year. Tactic of him at the edge of the square didnt seem to work with him being called off at half time. But I felt it took some of the heat off our other lads especially Killian as Donegal were worried about him at the edge of the square was also being pulled and dragged every time the ball was kicked into him. Killian... best minor in the Country as according to his eccentric uncle. To be fair to him, he has lived up to this billing in my opinion, one of our best players all year. He was outstanding on Sunday, they couldnt get the ball off of him, even when he carried it too long. Kicking balls all year off the left and right with ease. Id say the break down of his 40+ points all year wouldnt be too far off 50/50 off left and right boots. A gem of a player on a great team.

Jordi Kiely was outstanding when he was introduced, kicked 2 great points. He came on like a man with a point to prove after being dropped and boy did he prove it. Has been strong all year. And scored one of the best/cheekiest goals all year at any level with the chip below in Pairc Ui Chaoimh in the Munster Final. Carey, the supersub was that once again, kicked two great points. Has provided a massive boost to the team in every game he has played and didnt fail to impress on Sunday once again.
    Our other three subs were solid, as they have been all year with their limited enough playing time, Wharton, O Sullivan and Parker but have provided us with fresh legs and hard work in every game theyve played.

A quick word of sympathy for Bambo, who I felt would have made a massive contribution all year. God knows what we would have beaten teams by if he was playing also. Think he was on the extended panel for Sunday so should still pick up his medals but just a pity he didnt get to contribute like he could have.

On the line, for not the first time this year they have been brilliant. Maybe it was a tactic to keep Carey and Kiely on the bench to provide some well needed pace, strength and scoring from the bench. They were quick to make changes as they have been all year, and this has boded well with the team and panel. As if you werent going well there was lads just as good ready and willing off the bench. What a year for Jack, his selectors and trainers and whole backroom staff. Have put in a huge amount of sacrifice along with the players, training 3 sometimes 4 times a week between football and gym sessions.

This one was sweet lads, as sweet as the Seniors. 20 years was too long. Immensely proud of this group and the future is very bright and id expect 6 or 7 of these lads to make the transition into the Senior set up in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I asked this on a different thread but was wondering could someone help me out:

I hear the phrase used to define almost every AI win by Kerry- so can anyone actually explain to me what a soft All Ireland is?

1) Dublin were the team of their generation who were going to dominate
    2) Donegal had the unbeatable system and a tactical genius
    3) Cork were favourites in the Munster final and were going to dominate Munster due to Kerry's poor underage record (not actually that poor)
    4) Mayo were favourites 2 days in a row to beat Kerry and had made it further than Kerry in the last 2 championships

Kerry beat 3 of the above 4 other main AI contenders and never played Dublin.

Anyone able to help me out with an answer?

One good thing about the minors is the rags can no longer use the "Kerry have nelgected their underage set up" Which was the way for a while, but now the work been done with the development squads is begining to pay off and Sunday was proof of that and having Jack at the helm this season was a big plus,

Well done to the team,Jack,the selectors and his backroom team on Sundays win.

Also just seen this Eamon Fitz brought out the tactics again tonight at Dr Crokes,a blanket homecoming :D Space at a premium up on that truck

https://twitter.com/Kerry_Official/status/514498058890252288

• Advertisement

I asked this on a different thread but was wondering could someone help me out:

I hear the phrase used to define almost every AI win by Kerry- so can anyone actually explain to me what a soft All Ireland is?

1) Dublin were the team of their generation who were going to dominate
    2) Donegal had the unbeatable system and a tactical genius
    3) Cork were favourites in the Munster final and were going to dominate Munster due to Kerry's poor underage record (not actually that poor)
    4) Mayo were favourites 2 days in a row to beat Kerry and had made it further than Kerry in the last 2 championships

Kerry beat 3 of the above 4 other main AI contenders and never played Dublin.

Anyone able to help me out with an answer?

As Marc O Se said "We don’t care about begrudgers"

Sam is back in the Kingdom,so let the rest use their winter to moan about "soft All Irelands" while Sam tours Kerry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement