Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

D'Agger wrote: »
    I think Spa will win the county tbh - I'm saying that as a biased supporter but they have a very good, young team. Two of the minor team in Kearney & Dan O'Donoghue, Garnett & Shane Lynch from the Juniors, then you've former minors in Mike Finnegan, Cian Tobin, Stam etc.

I think they'll beat Glenflesk and a tight final with Castleisland which I'd expect them to shade. Desmonds beat them in the league at home, I'd expect Spa to get the better of them second time around

Is Stam going to be missing for Spa for a while - was talking to a Legion person about the league game and Stam didnt play and he said he wasn't expected back for a while?

He's be a massive player for Spa to be missing imo - if he plays I'd be expecting Spa to win the cup but without him I'd be a lot but doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Having seen both teams this year I'd have to say the Island looked far better Dagg..but of course, finals are finals (if they get there) and you never know. Spa certainly still producing fine young players which is no mean feat considering the battle for young hearts and minds in Killarney!

Twould be interesting to do a detailed analysis of the battle for young hearts and minds in Killarney given the relative status of the clubs and the fact that lads can choose which club to join - I'd imagine in most cases blood will follow blood in terms of where young lads will end up but it would be interesting to see where the neutrals/newcomers/blow-ins end up and how they end up there.

Also what happens in the case of a mixed marriage - Crokes mother, Legion father ? Does a prenuptial agreement need to be sorted before the wedding goes ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Twould be interesting to do a detailed analysis of the battle for young hearts and minds in Killarney given the relative status of the clubs and the fact that lads can choose which club to join - I'd imagine in most cases blood will follow blood in terms of where young lads will end up but it would be interesting to see where the neutrals/newcomers/blow-ins end up and how they end up there.

Also what happens in the case of a mixed marriage - Crokes mother, Legion father ? Does a prenuptial agreement need to be sorted before the wedding goes ahead?

Basically blood follows blood I'd say yeah. I have no hard data, but I'd estimate 80% of the "non-aligned" kids end up with Crokes though..they have huge numbers of u10s and 12s.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

watching back the game again and this stood out, here is Fitzy and O'Neill in the immediate aftermath of the goal - not an absolute bother on them, cool as a f*cking breeze!

323639.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

O'Neill has a quick look at the TV camera to see if they're being filmed, not a flicker by Fitzmauice tho!

• Advertisement

duchalla wrote: »
    O'Neill has a quick look at the TV camera to see if they're being filmed, not a flicker by Fitzmauice tho!

it actually looks like its us that has conceded the goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Is Stam going to be missing for Spa for a while - was talking to a Legion person about the league game and Stam didnt play and he said he wasn't expected back for a while?

He's be a massive player for Spa to be missing imo - if he plays I'd be expecting Spa to win the cup but without him I'd be a lot but doubtful.

Hadn't heard anything tbh but will see what the story is whenever I'm talking to somebody when I'm down next.

Would go along with that, he's vital to them winning the county

keane2097 wrote: »
    Jesus Stacks winning the Championship would nearly spoil the whole year.

if a shannon rangers/mid/west/south kerry win it, it would mean the winners of the club championship would represent Kerry.

what is the status there, who is left in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

if a shannon rangers/mid/west/south kerry win it, it would mean the winners of the club championship would represent Kerry.

what is the status there, who is left in it?

Think it's a Legion v Crokes final

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

It is Crokes and Legion fixed for 19th october. So Crokes could still represent Kerry despite being knocked out ages ago?

I always though it was the last club team standing in the county championship that went onto munster?

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    It is Crokes and Legion fixed for 19th october. So Crokes could still represent Kerry despite being knocked out ages ago?

I always though it was the last club team standing in the county championship that went onto munster?

Used to be,It is now the Club champs & rightly so

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Used to be,It is now the Club champs & rightly so

well not really. if a team gets to the county senior final and are playing a divisional side, then they should get full right to represent Kerry. if no club team makes it, then of course it should then go to the club.

BUT, lets say Stacks or Dingle get to the Senior final and go all out to win it, but they lose by a point to South Kerry after beating 3 or 4 club teams on the way to that final.

meanwhile Crokes come in the back door after being out of the championship months earlier and win the club title.

well not really. if a team gets to the county senior final and are playing a divisional side, then they should get full right to represent Kerry. if no club team makes it, then of course it should then go to the club.

BUT, lets say Stacks or Dingle get to the Senior final and go all out to win it, but they lose by a point to South Kerry after beating 3 or 4 club teams on the way to that final.

meanwhile Crokes come in the back door after being out of the championship months earlier and win the club title.

So if Legion win the Club & Laune Rangers get to the county final.Rangers should represent Kerry although they have not beaten any club side in either county or club championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Without having thought very hard about it I would tend to lean towards the last club standing in the County Championship being the right representative. The County Championship is our flagship competition, our representative should come from it.

So if Legion win the Club & Laune Rangers get to the county final.Rangers should represent Kerry although they have not beaten any club side in either county or club championship?

yes. they would be the club side that does the best in the prime competition in the county and would deserve to be representing the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Without having thought very hard about it I would tend to lean towards the last club standing in the County Championship being the right representative. The County Championship is our flagship competition, our representative should come from it.
    yes. they would be the club side that does the best in the prime competition in the county and would deserve to be representing the county.

I would agree, the county championship is the biggest and most sought after title in club football. Wouldnt it be ironic though if Crokes, after being knocked out by Legion in the championship won the club final and went on to represent Kerry again

So a team could win the All Ireland club without winning any silverware in their own county that year?

Interesting comments,I like the Senior Club Championship & it's a nice reward for winning it,Think the shine has gone off it as of late because of the Crokes dominance but that won't last forever either.

Would there be much appetite to bring back the Millenium Cup?

So a team could win the All Ireland club without winning any silverware in their own county that year?

Interesting comments,I like the Senior Club Championship & it's a nice reward for winning it,Think the shine has gone off it as of late because of the Crokes dominance but that won't last forever either.

Would there be much appetite to bring back the Millenium Cup?

No silverware but they have the notional award of "best club in the county" as a result of being the last standing in the Championship.

Having said that there's merit to what you say in terms of it being a good reward for winning the club championship, and it's got to be a good thing to make that competition as competitive as possible in terms of Kerry football in general.

Maybe a way to do it would be if a club team get to the final of the County Championship they represent, otherwise give it to the Club Championship winners.

How did the Millennium Cup work again?

and likewise, you think a team who essentially wins the senior b championship, should represent the county?

the best team in the county should represent the county and normally the club that gets the furthest is the best team.

How did the Millennium Cup work again?

Every club in the county into a hat - Lowest ranked team by county league gets home advantage.

Glenflesk won it - Marc O Sé recently said in an Interview he would like to see it's return

• Advertisement

Every club in the county into a hat - Lowest ranked team by county league gets home advantage.

Glenflesk won it - Marc O Sé recently said in an Interview he would like to see it's return

Would be good to mix it up alright, any idea why it was done away with or was it always just planned as a short term thing?

Would be good to mix it up alright, any idea why it was done away with or was it always just planned as a short term thing?

Twas only a 1 year thing to mark the "Millennium"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Just on the Club representing Kerry in Munster thing:
    - Castleisland won the AI club in 1985 AND lost the final in 1986. Were nowhere near winning a Senior c/ship those years (competition was dominated by divisional sides in early 80s), but won the club c/ship.
    - In the 2000s (forget what year) Milltown/Castlemaine represented Kerry in Munster Senior club despite being only Intermediate at the time. This was due to them winning the Club c/ship.

2 ends of the spectrum there. Fwiw, my own view is that IF a club side gets to the final of the Senior Co C/ship to face a divisional side, then they should represent Kerry in Munster club regardless. It's a far more serious competition than the Club c/ship which will mean they will be far better prepared in every way for the Munster club.

The Millenium cup was a brilliant competition. Ballylongford got to the 1/4 final and lost to eventual winners Glenflesk I recall. There were all manner of shocks here and there. It had a real FA cup feel to it.

and likewise, you think a team who essentially wins the senior b championship, should represent the county?

the best team in the county should represent the county and normally the club that gets the furthest is the best team.

:eek::eek: Jaysus !!! It's far from a B championship look at the recent history of it

2013 - Crokes
    2012 - Crokes
    2011 - Rathmore
    2010 - Rahilly's
    2009 - Rahilly's

the full video is here by the way, for anybody who has not seen it.

watched in tandom with the radio kerry commentary on audio is great stuff...

Just on the Club representing Kerry in Munster thing:
    - Castleisland won the AI club in 1985 AND lost the final in 1986. Were nowhere near winning a Senior c/ship those years (competition was dominated by divisional sides in early 80s), but won the club c/ship.
    - In the 2000s (forget what year) Milltown/Castlemaine represented Kerry in Munster Senior club despite being only Intermediate at the time. This was due ti them winning the Club c/ship.

2 ends of the spectrum there. Fwiw, my own view is that IF a club side gets to the final of the Senior Co C/ship to face a divisional side, then they should represent Kerry in Munster club regardless. It's a far more serious competition than the Club c/ship which will mean they will be far better prepared in every way for the Munster club.

The Millenium cup was a brilliant competition. Ballylongford got to the 1/4 final and lost to eventual winners Glenflesk I recall. There were all manner of shocks here and there. It had a real FA cup feel to it.

2004,Milltown were Senior at the time,They won the Intermediate in 2003

Tommy Walsh is coming home, confirmed on SS website -

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-10-01/walsh-heads-home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Tommy Walsh is coming home, confirmed on SS website -

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-10-01/walsh-heads-home

best news in ages!!

Where is his brother? Haven't heard of him in a good while..?

Tommy is a massive addition,Will be a huge option anywhere on the field.

Is Brother was off travelling,A player i always had huge time for,He might give a good rattle with Strand Road next year with Tommy home & could be worth a look in 2016

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Three in a row with Gooch and Tommy Walsh back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement