Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

mystic86 wrote: »
    best news in ages!!

Where is his brother? Haven't heard of him in a good while..?

assume he is playing club football and thats it. we have lost a few a few good young superstars in recent years - BJW, Quill, Paddy Curran, Dan Doona and much more than this.

most of them i guess fell victim of the fact that the Gooch was in direct opposition to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It will certainly add strength to the Kerry squad, as will the return of Cooper

But I would not put money on 3 in a row just yet

The forwards are strong, if you ignore their poor conversation rates v Mayo game 2 and Donegal.

But their backs may need a bit of a reshuffle, Marc and AOM may retire, if they don't they will be a year older in 2015
    Plus you have the inevitable all Ireland hangover, especially for the younger guys

I'd go 2 in a row 2016 and 2017 for now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Barry John is working in California at the moment, not on a J1 or anything I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

BJW has been playing great stuff with Strand Road over the past couple of years, I saw a clip of him kicking a point from about 65 metres out not too long ago. I was talking with him a couple months ago, he looked in great shape then and I assume he still is.

To say he's lost is going a bit far IMO, our inside forward line is just ridiculously stacked. He's still young enough too, will be 25 in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the biggest problem with this year was our conversation rates at the business end of the year.

our shooting at times in the semi reply and final were very poor - if we can address this next year in tighter games, we will be in a good shape, especially with Gooch back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Great news about Tommy. Need to get an O'Neills in his hands asap now.

Tommy was always something of an erratic kicker when I think back. Could put a point over from anywhere but could be pretty inconsistent at times.

Thoughts on how he will settle back into football?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

keane2097 wrote: »
    Tommy was always something of an erratic kicker when I think back. Could put a point over from anywhere but could be pretty inconsistent at times.

Tadgh settled in pretty quickly after a few league games,Remember he playing well in the Munster final in 09.

Tommy played in the AI final that year,So he is only 5 years out of football,While Tadgh was 10 years.

Should fall in rather seamlessly.Where will be his best position is the main question.I would think No.11 but the Gooch might have a thing or two to say about that.

Our forward line/front 8 is very tough to pick at the moment (obviously it's only pie in the sky anyway but still fun!).

I suppose looking at it as like for like Buckley's position would be one under threat from Tommy assuming he readjusts as we would hope.

Where to put Gooch is a bit of a conundrum considering how our half forward line operated this year. Would slightly think Paul Geaney might be most under pressure there unless Donaghy was to pack it in.

You hit the nail on the head..kicking was not his strong point but he improved hugely from 2007 to 2009 with constant practice. Need to get back there again. Like I said, bags of O'Neills need to be seen on the pitch in Strand Road and we'll go from there then. It won't happen overnight, but I think he can do it. Problem now is where to play him?

• Advertisement

Our forward line/front 8 is very tough to pick at the moment (obviously it's only pie in the sky anyway but still fun!).

I suppose looking at it as like for like Buckley's position would be one under threat from Tommy assuming he readjusts as we would hope.

Where to put Gooch is a bit of a conundrum considering how our half forward line operated this year. Would slightly think Paul Geaney might be most under pressure there unless Donaghy was to pack it in.

Star will defo stay on,I would guess Aidan will be the only one to go,Maybe Declan aswell.

Mikey Geaney
    Gooch
    Donnacha

Paul Geaney
    Star
    JOD
    Buckley
    Darran
    Lyne

Stephen O B
    Tommy
    Barry John

Kieran O Leary
    Alan Fitzgearld
    Daithi Casey
    Declan?

Not to count any of last years fringe players or U-21's coming through , Cox,Conor Keane etc..

(Good) Headaches for Eamonn

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Star will defo stay on,I would guess Aidan will be the only one to go,Maybe Declan aswell.

Mikey Geaney
    Gooch
    Donnacha

Paul Geaney
    Star
    JOD
    Buckley
    Darran
    Lyne

Stephen O B
    Tommy
    Barry John

Kieran O Leary
    Alan Fitzgearld
    Daithi Casey
    Declan?

Not to count any of last years fringe players or U-21's coming through , Cox,Conor Keane etc..

(Good) Headaches for Eamonn

I hope the first 6 you named isn't an indication you wouldn't have Buckley on first 15? He's miles ahead of Mikey Geaney IMO. Thought he kind of cemented his spot as a real 70 minute player in the final. When I watched it back again, the score he kicked from 40 yards into the hill was a massive moment in the game.

By the way, agree on retirements. Mahony, followed by Declan are the nearest to calling it quits I believe, but may both stay on with the news today..who knows!

You hit the nail on the head..kicking was not his strong point but he improved hugely from 2007 to 2009 with constant practice. Need to get back there again. Like I said, bags of O'Neills need to be seen on the pitch in Strand Road and we'll go from there then. It won't happen overnight, but I think he can do it. Problem now is where to play him?

I presume he was given some pretty good drills on kicking to get him acquainted with the Sherrin so hopefully those will work with the O'Neills as well!

No doubt he'll put in the hours needed, tackling is probably the thing he'd be farthest behind on considering how that has evolved over the years since he's been away.

The biggest question for next year to my mind is actually where Gooch fits back in. I don't think he fits our half forward line based on how we played this year. Could probably play him as a "three quarters forward" outside a two man full forward line but you're dropping one of Geaney and Donaghy.

I hope the first 6 you named isn't an indication you wouldn't have Buckley on first 15?

No just the first 6 that came to mind,Buckley really did have a big year for Kerry,Mikey is gonna be pushing Donnacha now for the grafting role.

But each team brings different tactics so a versatile squad is hugely important

I presume he was given some pretty good drills on kicking to get him acquainted with the Sherrin so hopefully those will work with the O'Neills as well!

No doubt he'll put in the hours needed, tackling is probably the thing he'd be farthest behind on considering how that has evolved over the years since he's been away.

The biggest question for next year to my mind is actually where Gooch fits back in. I don't think he fits our half forward line based on how we played this year. Could probably play him as a "three quarters forward" outside a two man full forward line but you're dropping one of Geaney and Donaghy.

Don't see it as a huge problem. Gooch WILL start if fit anyway. In theory if you had a forward line named like this:
    10. Buckley 11. Cooper 12. D.Walsh
    13. P.Geaney 14. Donaghy 15. T.Walsh

Buckley will forage in midfield, Geaney and Tommy will alternate coming out to form 2/3 across half forward (could end up as 1-2-1-2 formation also), so they could be positioned something like this:

Buckley

Geaney Gooch Donnacha

JOD Star/Tommy

Don't see it as a huge problem. Gooch WILL start if fit anyway. In theory if you had a forward line named like this:

Buckley will forage in midfield, Geaney and Tommy will alternate coming out to form 2/3 across half forward (could end up as 1-2-1-2 formation also), so they could be positioned something like this:

Buckley

Geaney Gooch Donnacha

Tommy Star

EDIT POST NOW !!!!! (you are forgetting someone!:D:D)

Buckley

Geaney Gooch Donnacha

JOD Star/Tommy

lol, nice edit there old stock :D

What is Paul Geaney like in terms of coming out the field would any of ye know? I only ever remember him playing inside I think.

Stephen O'Brien could be a better option in that role maybe?

Prop Joe wrote: »
    EDIT POST NOW !!!!! (you are forgetting someone!:D:D)

Oh dear. :o Typing and thinking too fast now, need to settle down!

What I was thinking was that Donaghy is not getting any younger and despite being excellent towards the end of this year, we shouldn't expect the same level of performance going forward all the time, so he and Tommy could alternate in that role inside. Tommy could really excel here IMO as he has had a lot of training focused on fielding the ball in recent years, albeit a different kind of ball. He is probably a bit sharper and lighter even that when he left, so if he gets his mojo back, it's an exciting prospect!

What is Paul Geaney like in terms of coming out the field would any of ye know? I only ever remember him playing inside I think.

Geaney would be comfortable enough there,Played alot of ball in the Sigerson this year at midfield

• Advertisement

Well able for it. Different type of player to O'Brien (who I also like as a player and who will come on a tonne from this year) but no less effective. He came out around the middle in the Sigerson back in February to great effect. Brilliant kick-passer. One slight criticism is that his hand-passing can be a little slack at times, but it's nit-picking in the extreme and he is still very inexperienced.

Ah yes of course he played out there during Sigerson, I remember him having a great final essentially at midfield.

Another sizable unit to have out around there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I'd be gobsmacked if he hasn't at least been kicking some sort of round ball out in OZ.

Anyone know when he's back on home soil?

I'd imagine there will be a bumper crowd at whatever game he's scheduled to make his debut for a gawk to see what sort of form he's in.

By all accounts he has been doing decent for the Swans reserve side the last few months - so he's probably pretty "match" fit so I would expect to see him back in action before too long.

We're playing a relegation play off against Kilcummin on the 19th which I guess he might be around for.

We're playing a relegation play off against Kilcummin on the 19th which I guess he might be around for.

I totally forgot ye were in the relegation battle! Not where you want to be and you wouldn't want to get dragged into a dogfight against Kilcummin. Should have enough to win it though.

I totally forgot ye were in the relegation battle! Not where you want to be and you wouldn't want to get dragged into a dogfight against Kilcummin. Should have enough to win it though.

The loser gets a second bite of the cherry against Currow as well. Fingers crossed we can get through one of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Would Walsh be able for midfield? He seems to have all the necessary attributes. Of course that would mean dropping one of our current pair, who both did well in the big games this year, especially David Moran.

He will most likely start at full forward ahead of Donaghy I would guess but who knows what the management will do. Fitzmaurice must be delighted, getting cooper and Walsh back into a championship winning team is some boost for 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Not so sure I'd be as optimistic about the future if I were a Kerry supporter.

Tommy Walsh played 5 AFL games in 4 years for Sydney Swans and suffered a serious long term injury while there.

http://www.irishecho.com.au/tag/tommy-walsh

You'd have to be realistic about how such an injury could impact his career.

The same might be asked of Gooch coming back. Will he be back to his best after such an injury?

There are also several Kerry stalwarts coming towards the end of their career or stuggling with long term injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Kerryfootball

I really hope the ease Colm back into the team.
    I see no point in him playing NFL games in the depths of winter on brutal heavy pitches.

I'll never forget watching David Moran go over in Monaghan and do the cruciate.

Tommy Walsh will need time to readjust to life in Tralee and not Sydney, not just from AFL to GAA.

Roll on 2015 lads.

• Advertisement

realweirdo wrote: »
    Not so sure I'd be as optimistic about the future if I were a Kerry supporter.

Tommy Walsh played 5 AFL games in 4 years for Sydney Swans and suffered a serious long term injury while there.

http://www.irishecho.com.au/tag/tommy-walsh

You'd have to be realistic about how such an injury could impact his career.

The same might be asked of Gooch coming back. Will he be back to his best after such an injury?

There are also several Kerry stalwarts coming towards the end of their career or stuggling with long term injuries.

lol, if Kerry fans don't have cause to be optimistic at this moment in time I think I'd give up on football if I was from anywhere else

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement