Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Kerryfootball

keane2097 wrote: »
    lol, if Kerry fans don't have cause to be optimistic at this moment in time I think I'd give up on football if I was from anywhere else

Re Realweirdo

Lads don't bite with this lad, he ruinned the all Ireland thread.
    Best ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

lol, if Kerry fans don't have cause to be optimistic at this moment in time I think I'd give up on football if I was from anywhere else

Not sure I get what you mean but anyways :rolleyes:

My point was that people are excited about the return of Tommy Walsh but you'd have to see what state he comes back in.

For example, I remember reading years ago that he was one of the quickest players if not the quickest player on the Kerry team in training sprints.

But he's had a really bad hamstring injury in the last few years. So does that mean he will be the same player he was before he left. Only time will tell I suppose.

Re Realweirdo

Best ignored.

Predictable post really. I guess you can't post in here without wearing the Kerry jersey or talking impartially?

Kind of pointless having any kind of rational discussion if so.

Re Realweirdo

Best ignored.

By the way, I had the option of reporting you for accusing me of being a troll in the AI final thread. I decided against it that time. You apologised but looks like it wasn't genuine.
    Clearly you haven't matured since then. So I am reporting this post of yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Re Realweirdo

Best ignored.

Yeah I agree..I rarely use the ignore function,but sometimes you just have no option..

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree..I rarely use the ignore function,but sometimes you just have no option..

You are ignoring me because I pointed out that Walsh had a serious hamstring injury, played 5 games in 4 years and he mightn't be the same player that left? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

realweirdo wrote: »
    Not sure I get what you mean but anyways :rolleyes:

My point was that people are excited about the return of Tommy Walsh but you'd have to see what state he comes back in.

For example, I remember reading years ago that he was one of the quickest players if not the quickest player on the Kerry team in training sprints.

But he's had a really bad hamstring injury in the last few years. So does that mean he will be the same player he was before he left. Only time will tell I suppose.

Considering he's been back playing for the Sydney seconds for a good while at this stage with no ill effects having had a year of monitored professional recovery I'm optimistic his hamstring is fine.

TBH I haven't seen much if any worries over how he has managed his recovery and how he's been since he's gotten back playing bar what I suspect is faux concern from a Tyrone fan on another forum and your own worries here.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Not so sure I'd be as optimistic about the future if I were a Kerry supporter.

Tommy Walsh played 5 AFL games in 4 years for Sydney Swans and suffered a serious long term injury while there.

http://www.irishecho.com.au/tag/tommy-walsh

You'd have to be realistic about how such an injury could impact his career.

The same might be asked of Gooch coming back. Will he be back to his best after such an injury?

There are also several Kerry stalwarts coming towards the end of their career or stuggling with long term injuries.

we are in a better position for the future, than any other county bar Dublin. our minors pretty much blew everybody away in the championship this year, there is a serious crop of players coming through. Kelly, Fionn, Shane, Crowley, Murphy, Geaney, JOD, O Brien, Buckley are no longer the u-21 team who got hammered by Cork, they are the group who went on and won an all ireland at senior level - you cannot buy that experience and they are all still u-24. theres another 5 or 6 lads on the panel hungry to take their place if they lose form (Kealy, Kilkenny,Griffan,Lyne,Geaney,)

and with Eamon Fitzmaurice, we have the best manager in the game.

we have a midfield duo that cleaned all round them this year - Cork, Mayo, Donegal and look like they can be the foundation of success for many year. Sheehan, Buckley, Walsh and even Donaghy can do a job there, plus two of the best young midfielders in the land coming through to keep them honest.

add in that a hungry Gooch, Tommy Walsh & Darran O Sullivan and i think we are a decent draw away from a semi final at least next year. we will take it from there then.

Considering he's been back playing for the Sydney seconds for a good while at this stage with no ill effects having had a year of monitored professional recovery I'm optimistic his hamstring is fine.

TBH I haven't seen much if any worries over how he has managed his recovery and how he's been since he's gotten back playing bar what I suspect is faux concern from a Tyrone fan on another forum and your own worries here.

That's fair enough if so. I was going to say something like "Lets hope the hamstring stands up" but I won't bother.

Any time you wish a Kerry person good luck, they are immediately suspicious of your motives! :)

Barry O'Sullivan is going to be a monster.

• Advertisement

Best of Luck to Tomas O Se, what a year that lads has had.
    2 All Irelands and now the chance to see the world with Riverdance.

Put West Kerry on the map lad...

Barry O'Sullivan is going to be a monster.

yep, and Mark also...both of them are absolutely cracking players.

yep, and Mark also...both of them are absolutely cracking players.

Mark is minor again next year isn't he?

Mark is minor again next year isn't he?

yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

we are in a better position for the future, than any other county bar Dublin. our minors pretty much blew everybody away in the championship this year, there is a serious crop of players coming through. Kelly, Fionn, Shane, Crowley, Murphy, Geaney, JOD, O Brien, Buckley are no longer the u-21 team who got hammered by Cork, they are the group who went on and won an all ireland at senior level - you cannot buy that experience and they are all still u-24. theres another 5 or 6 lads on the panel hungry to take their place if they lose form (Kealy, Kilkenny,Griffan,Lyne,Geaney,)

and with Eamon Fitzmaurice, we have the best manager in the game.

we have a midfield duo that cleaned all round them this year - Cork, Mayo, Donegal and look like they can be the foundation of success for many year. Sheehan, Buckley, Walsh and even Donaghy can do a job there, plus two of the best young midfielders in the land coming through to keep them honest.

add in that a hungry Gooch, Tommy Walsh & Darran O Sullivan and i think we are a decent draw away from a semi final at least next year. we will take it from there then.

I'd agree with that.
    Any Munster game v Cork will be in Killarney, so you would have to give Kerry the edge there.

As we have seen quarter finalists coming through the back door are rarely up to the quality of provincial winners these days so I'd give Kerry the edge there also.

Then its a SF v Ulster champ or their conquerer, and although competitive Ulster is not great on quality these days.

So the path to a final is not crazy difficult.

By the way if they stick with the AB draw again in 2015 then the QF will be v Ulster loser or their 4th end. conquerer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Best of Luck to Tomas O Se, what a year that lads has had.
    2 All Irelands and now the chance to see the world with Riverdance.

Put West Kerry on the map lad...

Surely West Kerry had been on the map since the days of Peig Sayers.

Surely West Kerry had been on the map since the days of Peig Sayers.

Ahh good auld Peig...

I'm not sure she was on the curriculum in New York or Beijing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Not so sure I'd be as optimistic about the future if I were a Kerry supporter.

Tommy Walsh played 5 AFL games in 4 years for Sydney Swans and suffered a serious long term injury while there.

http://www.irishecho.com.au/tag/tommy-walsh

You'd have to be realistic about how such an injury could impact his career.

The same might be asked of Gooch coming back. Will he be back to his best after such an injury?

There are also several Kerry stalwarts coming towards the end of their career or stuggling with long term injuries.

We're f*cked

We're f*cked

Just think it makes sense to be objective.

Its the same with Mayo supporters who get carried away every year.

Objectivity is usually in short supply in gaelic football these days.

Would Walsh be a starter or an impact player? If either Gooch or Walsh goes back in as a starter who gets dropped? Is Walsh better than what Kerry currently have? Where does he fit in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Just think it makes sense to be objective.

Its the same with Mayo supporters who get carried away every year.

Objectivity is usually in short supply in gaelic football these days.

Would Walsh be a starter or an impact player? If either Gooch or Walsh goes back in as a starter who gets dropped? Is Walsh better than what Kerry currently have? Where does he fit in?

Noone knows the answer to the Walsh question and it would be disrespectful to guys who just won an AI 2 weeks ago to talk about dropping them.
    However he is/was an excellent footballer and if he can reclaim that form then he will be an excellent addition to the squad.

Same goes for Gooch- but I'd rather have these options than not have them

• Advertisement

It's a panel game now, it's not about the first 15 anymore.

You can't start thinking about were any player will play in Oct. It all depends on the twists and turns of the league/championship.
    David Moran is a case in point he'd probably not have had the impact he had if Bryan hadn't come off against Galway.

We now have a panel as proved against Mayo and the return of Tommy the return of Colm and maybe one or two new lads will strengthen our hand further.

Eamon will have great options next year so things are much brighter this winter than last.
    Amazing what changes can happen in 12 months.

You can't start thinking about were any player will play in Oct. It all depends on the twists and turns of the league/championship.
    David Moran is a case in point he'd probably not have had the impact he had if Bryan hadn't come off against Galway.

We now have a panel as proved against Mayo and the return of Tommy the return of Colm and maybe one or two new lads will strengthen our hand further.

Eamon will have great options next year so things are much brighter this winter than last.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

I wonder could Tommy Walsh be at the heart of a kerry defence. In the traditions of Sean Walsh and Seamus Moynihan.
    Injuries aside you wouldn't tamper with that midfield. Or the front line for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Thats the joys of Kerry football,things can look bleak and then it goes and surprises you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Martin Horgan to be the new waterford boss? Be interesting to see how he gets on

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/waterford-set-to-appoint-horgan-289589.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

wonga77 wrote: »
    Martin Horgan to be the new waterford boss? Be interesting to see how he gets on

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/waterford-set-to-appoint-horgan-289589.html

They must be badly stuck down there. He didn't set the world alight in management in Kerry anyway. He works as a fulltime coach with Co Board though so maybe he'll bring something to them in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

This could be an interesting read

http://www.easons.com/p-3084645-paul-galvin.aspx

This could be an interesting read

http://www.easons.com/p-3084645-paul-galvin.aspx

Potential to be a great read, hopefully it's not like other recent players books that were not great..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

I wonder who the ghostwriter is. Most autobiographies have one.

Great news re Tommy Walsh. Wherever and whenever he plays, its far better to have him here than in Sydney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Radio5 wrote: »
    I wonder who the ghostwriter is. Most autobiographies have one.

Great news re Tommy Walsh. Wherever and whenever he plays, its far better to have him here than in Sydney.
    Well if he wrote it himself it'll be a collection of short sentences based on the articles of his I've read

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement