Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Radio5 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on how Stacks will fare out in the Munster C'ship? Interesting to see after so many years with Crokes flying the flag.

Cratloe could be a step too far for them.

the only thing in their favour, is the fact that Cratloe are involved in both codes and it could take alot out of them, especially if the hurling final is first.

Stacks will win on Sunday, but that could be it. i cant see them winning the All ireland for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Would be expecting the Stacks to win on Sunday and also Cratloe to come through the other side of the draw,both will be tough games,

Cratloe play the hurling final on the 23rd and the football is on the 30th

I think if the Stacks can win on Sunday they should have the beating of Cratloe,I just think Cratloe will run out of steam after playing a lot of games at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don't think Cratloe will be too much for Stacks at all. I'd be moderately surprised if Stacks don't win Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

keane2097 wrote: »
    I don't think Cratloe will be too much for Stacks at all. I'd be moderately surprised if Stacks don't win Munster.

I'll be moderately surprised if Stacks DO win Munster tbh.

Ballincollig have inter-county players in every line and have had 4 weeks since their Co. Final to prepare. They will not be easily beaten and not sure what people blandly asserting Stacks will win are basing this on.

Cratloe will get a game of it from the Nire of Waterford this weekend also. They have quite a few decent players including Conor Gleeson who is one of the best young players in Munster right now. Would expect Cratloe to win, but the dual commitments may start to take their toll after that..we'll see. If they had 2 weeks to prepare for a football final they are still going to be a very tough nut to crack. Anyone who has seen Podge and Seán Collins, Conor Ryan, Cathal McInerney and Conor McGrath play football will not take them lightly. John Galvin is not 100% but will have an impact for them also.

I'll be moderately surprised if Stacks DO win Munster tbh.

Ballincollig have inter-county players in every line and have had 4 weeks since their Co. Final to prepare. They will not be easily beaten and not sure what people blandly asserting Stacks will win are basing this on.

You're right. What I was basically saying was I would be moderately surprised if Stacks didn't beat Cratloe. The dismissal of Ballincollig is a hoot.

• Advertisement

You're right. What I was basically saying was I would be moderately surprised if Stacks didn't beat Cratloe. The dismissal of Ballincollig is a hoot.

In fairness, didn't mean to dismiss people's views..living in Cork I've seen more of Ballincollig than most here I would guess, so wouldn't be writing them off so easily. Noel Galvin, Liam Jennings, Stephen O'Donoghue, Cian Kiely, Seán Kiely, John Miskella and Paddy Kelly are all Cork u-21s or Cork Seniors of recent vintage..add in George Durrant who was a Kerry minor in 2010 (he was man of the match in the Cork final) and you have a formidable enough team.

In fairness, didn't mean to dismiss people's views..living in Cork I've seen more of Ballincollig than most here I would guess, so wouldn't be writing them off so easily. Noel Galvin, Liam Jennings, Stephen O'Donoghue, Cian Kiely, Seán Kiely, John Miskella and Paddy Kelly are all Cork u-21s or Cork Seniors of recent vintage..add in George Durrant who was a Kerry minor in 2010 (he was man of the match in the Cork final) and you have a formidable enough team.

Naturally I hope they beat Stacks by 20+

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

They also showed fierce battle in their winning of the county final, coming from 8 points down in one of their games and beating a decent collection of teams.

By comparison I wouldn't exactly call Stacks county championship run the hardest won county championship.

The bookies had Ballincollig at 9/4 yesterday and they are in to 15/8 now (which even now looks a bit long to my mind)

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    They also showed fierce battle in their winning of the county final, coming from 8 points down in one of their games and beating a decent collection of teams.

By comparison I wouldn't exactly call Stacks county championship run the hardest won county championship.

The bookies had Ballincollig at 9/4 yesterday and they are in to 15/8 now (which even now looks a bit long to my mind)

Wouldn't say it was the toughest championship ever, no..but Stacks were deserving winners in fairness, nobody can argue otherwise.
    I'd have Ballincollig no longer than 7/4 Sunday myself, but that's having seen a lot of both sides. I doubt many have done that. Ballincolling, as you say, were 9-2 down after first quarter of Cork final..but from there to the finish it was 1-11 to 1-1. I think that was a reflection of exactly how good they can be at their best. They've never encountered Donaghy of course, and he can change a game in 5 mins, but outside that I'd make it an even enough game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Wouldn't say it was the toughest championship ever, no..but Stacks were deserving winners in fairness, nobody can argue otherwise.
    I'd have Ballincollig no longer than 7/4 Sunday myself, but that's having seen a lot of both sides. I doubt many have done that. Ballincolling, as you say, were 9-2 down after first quarter of Cork final..but from there to the finish it was 1-11 to 1-1. I think that was a reflection of exactly how good they can be at their best. They've never encountered Donaghy of course, and he can change a game in 5 mins, but outside that I'd make it an even enough game.

Not saying Stacks weren't deserving winners - was more a comment on the quality of the teams they came up against so far.

I havent seen Ballincollig in action this year but have a mate you used play for them and he has been tipping them from a long time back to have a good year.

The thing is I just have a feeling that Donaghy might be due a quiet game ; the ball's been hopping in his favour a bit in the last few games and I wouldnt be surprised if this kinda ran out in a sense - Also I think he has been fortunate in that he has been marked in an old-fashioned one-on-one manner so far ; stop/quieten Donaghy and you reduce Stacks's chances of winning significantly (obviously easier said than done) Reckon this has the potential to be a seriously decent club game.

Cratloe are already picking up injuries - have 2 lads who are very doubtful for this Sunday - the problem with being in both competitions is that even small knocks get no proper chance to recover - it would be interesting to figure out exactly how many Sundays in a row the Cratloe lads have been in action now. Very hard to see them doing the double.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I havent seen Ballincollig in action this year but have a mate you used play for them and he has been tipping them from a long time back to have a good year.

With them being in Division 2 they were able to focus on Championship more whilst still performing well in the league against poorer opposition than they'd be used to.

We had a fitness session with a guy from Dennehys in Ballincollig and he mentioned in passing that Ballincolligs squad were using the facilities for group & individual sessions - said their conditioning was outstanding for so early in the year so was expecting them to challenge but not win it.

Any team that beats Nemo is dangerous

Best of luck to the Stacks and Ardfert tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Nemo aren't up to much these days.

Brosna won the Junior Club Championship today,beat Dromid by a point 8pts to 7pts.

Brosna won the Junior Club Championship today,beat Dromid by a point 8pts to 7pts.

jaysus thats unreal.

Could be said Brosna were underdogs for both the Semi Final against Glenbeigh and again in todays final against Dromid

They now play Millstreet next week in the Munster Junior Club Semi Final at a Kerry venue.

Stacks V The Nire in the final....big shock Cratloe beaten.

Both games after extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Come on the Super Rockies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I was at the game in Tralee over the weekend.

The panel is looking very strong this year. David Moran was excellent in midfield and Aidan O'Shea looks a class act aswell. Going to be a lot of competition for places and Kennelly still has to come back. Nice to see Jack O'Connor get his maiden victory.

Galvin kicked three good points but seemed to tire considerably in the second half. I'm not sure when they started training but they looked sharp, considering Donegal had McKenna Cup games played- looking forward to next weekend against Tyrone.
    Just looking at the first post in this forum from 6 years ago. Was Aidan O Shea in with us at the time? I know he has Kerry routes, or is this a different lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Aidan O shea is jackos son. Played with glenbeigh glencar. Don't think he plays anymore due to injury

• Advertisement

Congrats to the Ard Fhearta and the Stacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I was watching the Stacks match on Sunday. Great win for them.
    One thing baffled me – Ballincollig got a free. They were 3 points down, with 30 seconds left. Why go for a point? Freetaker did go for the point and actually put it wide.
    But even if there was 2 minutes left at that stage, there still wouldn’t have been time for another 2 points - when you take into account the time taken for the goalie to kick out the ball.
    At least give the team a chance to equalise with a goal.

I was watching the Stacks match on Sunday. Great win for them.
    One thing baffled me – Ballincollig got a free. They were 3 points down, with 30 seconds left. Why go for a point? Freetaker did go for the point and actually put it wide.
    But even if there was 2 minutes left at that stage, there still wouldn’t have been time for another 2 points - when you take into account the time taken for the goalie to kick out the ball.
    At least give the team a chance to equalise with a goal.

Yeah I was ****ing freaking out about that. Bizarro.

Poker Face wrote: »

disgrace. ill hold off judgement until full details come out but it looks like a certain club are going to be in alot of bother.

glad the cops are involved also, its about time and Galvin incident should have had them involved too.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

disgrace. ill hold off judgement until full details come out but it looks like a certain club are going to be in alot of bother.

glad the cops are involved also, its about time and Galvin incident should have had them involved too.

Glad the cops are involved as well, its time people face the consequences of their actions - just cause you are on a gaa pitch doesn’t give you the right to attack someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pinesky

Yeah I was ****ing freaking out about that. Bizarro.
    i thought a trip to the Doms would cure you but it looks like we'll have to get the Redemptorists down from Limerick .
    Give up your oul sins and support the Town team .

Always a sad day when one of the greats retires,went out at the top,thanks for all the great days out Declan

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news.php?item=1735&full=y

Always a sad day when one of the greats retires,went out at the top,thanks for all the great days out Declan

Sad news, but totally expected. Only 31 but the knees not able for it anymore. 13 years on the Kerry panel,playing in one of the most attritional positions in football.
    5 Celtic Crosses..twice as captain, 4 County's with South Kerry, 3 Allstars...not a bad ol' haul is it? Best centre forward of the modern era and at his peak one of the best players of our generation. Thanks for the great memories Dec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Very sad news - probably the best ball carrier I've seen. Quick, sharp turn, very strong and always seemed confident on the ball, even when under pressure.

Huge loss, thanks for the memories Declan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement