Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Great player, enjoy the retirement Declan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Great player. Listening to the body instead of the heart I'd say.

Going out at the top, no better way to bow out after an unbelievable career.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

he still is a young man with plenty to offer! i was hoping operations would have sorted him out, but i guess the injuries are gone too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

Some player, did some great service to Kerry Football and will be a big loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

So,those iconic images of Declan in Croke Park lifting the Sam Maguire with one hand and holding his young son with the other, are precious moments in time never again to be repeated. What a legend this man has been and what a warrior in the green and gold!

Thanks for all the memories,Declan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

What a loss he will be to Kerry football.I must say he was my favourite player of last ten years his skill and vision on the ball was sublime and with both feet as well. Best of luck to him in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

sammy37 wrote: »
    What a loss he will be to Kerry football.I must say he was my favourite player of last ten years his skill and vision on the ball was sublime and with both feet as well. Best of luck to him in the future.

Always thought Declan was the best Kerry forward of this generation myself. (Im not martin mchugh!!)An all time great. Will be missed by everyone. Seemed modest enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Echo all the sentiments already expressed,Declan O Sullivan will go down in history as one of the greats of modern day gaelic football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭passremarkable

gutted this morning when i heard he is retiring, what a class player!had everything you would want in a footballer.
    the best man not to get blocked when going for a score, he was brilliant at kicking the ball at its highest point in order to not get blocked and the ball would always just land over the bar...pure class!!
    may have to travel to kerry club matches to get too see him again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Listening to the bits and pieces about him on kerry radio this morning. He has a serious list of stuff won, won everything really, but he has lost a huge amount of finals too, with the club and county. retirement was always on the cards anyway as work commitments have to be addressed too.
    Owes us nothing and hopefully his injuries can clear up to let him play with the club for a while yet. Has been a great servant to Dromid and always turns up whenever possible and has played through injury many times too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

On off the Ball last night, they were discussing DOS and whether he would make the All Time Kerry Greats Top 10. Some player DOS was but that is a tough list to make. What do people think? I think my list would be the following (in no order):

Mick O' Connell
    Pat Spillane
    Mick O'Dwyer
    Colm Cooper
    Maurice Fitzgerald
    Ogie Moran
    Dara O' Se
    Mikey Sheehy
    Jack O'Shea
    Tomas O' Se

He would probably just miss on mine out but that is no reflection on him. Fantastic fantastic player. One of my favourite players to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Volvic12 wrote: »
    On off the Ball last night, they were discussing DOS and whether he would make the All Time Kerry Greats Top 10. Some player DOS was but that is a tough list to make. What do people think? I think my list would be the following (in no order):

Mick O' Connell
    Pat Spillane
    Mick O'Dwyer
    Colm Cooper
    Maurice Fitzgerald
    Ogie Moran
    Dara O' Se
    Mikey Sheehy
    Jack O'Shea
    Tomas O' Se

He would probably just miss on mine out but that is no reflection on him. Fantastic fantastic player. One of my favourite players to watch.

I'd swap O'Dwyer with Declan. While O'Dwyer was a very good player, twas his managerial escapades that made him great. Declan, in my opinion, is up there with the Gooch.

as good an all as Declan was, i dont think he would be near our all time top 10. you could rattle off 20 names at the drop of a hat better than him and i am sure there is more.

in saying that, thats no disrespect to Declan, just a sign of the depth of talent that this county has produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

as good an all as Declan was, i dont think he would be near our all time top 10.

Have to disagree here,as a number 11 goes he has probably been our best in my lifetime.

He would always make my best ever team - Truly exceptional player - Pound for pound the most complete player in the country from 2006 - 2011

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭wreckless if true

Best wishes to Declan in his retirement, Id like to echo all the sentiments previously stated. Off the field an absolute gent too many a time i met him in the golden nugget and we would exchange good chat about a wide variety of subjects not just football, but current affairs. gardening talk and different techniques to try for shearing the sheep. A very knoweledgable man and a gentleman . Up there with the gooch as our best player of the last 20 years .

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Have to disagree here,as a number 11 goes he has probably been our best in my lifetime.

He would always make my best ever team - Truly exceptional player - Pound for pound the most complete player in the country from 2006 - 2011

while number 11 was declans main position, there was many seasons he didnt play at 11, 2009, 2013 being two obvious ones, along with being dropped from there in 2006.

again however i must make this clear - saying Declan is not in our top 10 players of all time is not an insult to him by any means, the standard he is up against is exceptionally high. and its actually a credit to declan that we are even discussing this.

Ogie would get the nod at 11 for me if we were picking our greatest 15 of all time. Gooch would make it from the current era, as would Tomas and Darragh and perhaps Seamus. would Fitzy have a spot?

The 6 lads on the team of the millenium would be also there, along with Bomber, Sean Walsh, O Keefe.

thats 14 players (exc fitz) and we havent even started talking about the other spillanes, power, egan, Paudi, Dwyer, Kennelly, Deenihan.

picking the best Kerry team of all time is an impossible task - wouldnt mind seeing ye lads have a stab at it....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

How about picking the best Kerry team that the person has seen?

So mine would be

1 Declan O Keefe
    2 Marc O Se
    3 Mike McCarthy
    4 Tom O Sullivan
    5 Tomas O Se
    6 Seamus Moynihan
    7 Eamon Breen
    8 Darragh O Se
    9 William Kirby
    10 Paul Galvin
    11 Maurice Fitzgearld
    12 Declan O Sullivan
    13 James O Donoghue
    14 Colm Cooper
    15 Mike Frank Russell

Liam Flaherty first sub,Maurice pulling the strings on the 40 and the three lads inside scoring for fun :D

They're unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

keane2097 wrote: »
    They're unbearable.

I have no affiliation to the Stack's but i really am enjoying there journey.They have a lovely team,A good manager and colorful supporters.

They will have a tough test v The Nire in the final but i would love to see them win it and have an opportunity to win the last ever Andy Merrigan on Paddy's Day

• Advertisement

They're unbearable.

i have to admit, every time they win i picture you sitting at home with your head in your hands with a bottle of vodka sitting beside you on the table, screaming "what did i do to deserve this".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

They're unbearable.

We'll put you out of your misery ;)

How about picking the best Kerry team that the person has seen?

Murphy
    Marc
    Mike
    Tom----
    Tomas
    Seamus
    Aidan--
    Darragh
    Jacko
    Galvin
    Declan
    Spillane
    Gooch
    Maurice
    Mike Frank

i have to admit, every time they win i picture you sitting at home with your head in your hands with a bottle of vodka sitting beside you on the table, screaming "what did i do to deserve this".

lol, swap the vodka for whiskey and the "what did I do to deserve this" for something a bit more abusive and you've literally nailed it!

My housemate was absolutely cracking up watching me screaming at the TV last weekend, trying to wind me up then, "surely we have to cheer for the team from home"

1275437842257_f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Haven't really had time to post about Declan, but in short I'm not disappointed. This retirement has been well earned.

He had an incredible career, and its unlucky that it was cut short, but he has been a vital part to one of the best Kerry teams of all time. He was a magnificent soloer on the run. His direct approach to the game was fantastic to watch, and he gave 100% to Kerry, even when supporters were giving him shít.

He gave a complete performance vs Cork this year, though he could barely bend his knees with the pain. He soldiered on for the year, and goes out on a high, with another All Ireland medal.

His time came early in terms of his age, but he has given an absolute eternity to Kerry Football, and owes nothing to this team.

The one score that stands out to me was the Goal vs Cork a few years back (in P uí C) when he rolled off Michael Shields, leaving him face down, skipped away, and stuck the ball in the net. Beautiful.

Up there with the best natural footballers I've ever seen in Green and Gold, behind Gooch an Maurice Fitz.

Bain Taithneamh as an briseadh a Dhéagláin!

decosulllll1234542.jpg

EDIT: Hmm, I might be mis-remembering the goal against Cork. It seems that he only scored 1 goal against Cork in Páirc uí Chaoimh, and that was in 2005. I don't remember it being that long ago. He might have passed it, or put it over the bar, but I definitely remember him burning Shields one of the years :P

EDIT 2: Definitely not 2005, Shields wasn't even playing in 2005, was just on the u21 panel! What year was it, and what happened after Declan burned Shields! Answers on a postcard!

Winter is setting in lads

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/colm-cooper-denies-knowledge-of-alleged-fine-gael-plans-to-enlist-him/

Also odds for the football finals the weekend on Paddy Power

Ardfert 8/13 Valley Rovers 13/8 Draw 13/2

Austin Stacks 4/9 The Nire 12/5 Draw 7/1

http://kerrygaa.ie/news/347002/All_Ireland_Presentation_Gala_Banquet

would mind going to that. any idea how much the tickets would be? would expect them to be fairly expensive anyway and the CB to make a good wack of cash off it.

Action from yesterdays Munster Intermedaite Club final

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news/347172/Ardfert_v_Valley_Rovers_KerryGAA_TV

Congrats to Ardfert,once again showing great heart and grit to get the result,can never write them off when it comes to championship,

Best of luck to the Stacks today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Stacks just started on TG4 in case anyone wanted to watch it.

1 point down already.

EDIT:

1-1 to 0-0

Disasterous start.

Stacks looking very leggy. Moving very poorly across the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Stacks needed that goal after a very very slow start.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement