Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the most popular thread on the forum now :eek:

semi final team anybody? cant wait to see the new jerseys been worn, first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Not quite... if its the Navy you're on about... see Donegal in Tralee 1st League Game of the Season.

They're far better then the blue from previous years... and especially better then the White!

As for a team, i'd start the same way with Tadhg, Star, Aiden, Paul O'Connor and Reidy/Quirke coming on as subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

1.Diarmuid Murphy
    2.Marc O'Se
    3.Mike McCarthy
    4.Tom O'Sullivan
    5.Tomas O'Se
    6.Seamus Moynihan
    7.Liam Flaherty
    8.Daragh O'Se
    9.William Kirby
    10.Paul Galvin
    11.Maurice Fitzgerald
    12.Declan O'Sullivan
    13.Colm Cooper
    14.Kieran Donaghy
    15.Johnny Crowley

I think that is a terrifying forward line

I'd be along these lines myself, rather than MUFC's selection (although they obv have a lot in common). I would have to have Flaherty in there, top class he was. There would be some really good players left out though who would grace any team (Mike Frank, Breen, Hassetts, O'Cinneide, Pa Laide, Etc).

Terrible Terrible news. That plank Ó Cnámha is reffing!
    How is he getting All Ireland Semi Finals!!!
    Worst Ref since Bannon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Was at the Mayo- Meath game on Sunday Dont ask why :rolleyes:

2 poor teams have to say.

Players that stood out for me were joe sheridan, ian ward and moyles.

Moyles has been around a long time and is a cute player struggled for the goal but that was because of aidan;s bigger frame.

Ian ward is a fine player great skill.

Joe sheridan can cause trouble IF let roam.

If Kerry play with the same intensity and hunger Kerry should win ok.

More problems for STAR

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0811/donaghyk.html

Doubts persist with Donaghy injury
    Kieran Donaghy is a big loss to the Kerry attack Tuesday, 11 August 2009 17:16
    Kerry are still unsure if Kieran Donaghy will be fit to play a part in the All-Ireland SFC semi-final against Meath at the end of the month.

Full-forward Donaghy hasn't played since breaking a bone in his foot in the qualifier against Longford and selector Ger O'Keeffe told the Independent: 'Hopefully Kieran will be available for the match against Meath, but we won't know his situation until a good deal closer to the match.

'At the moment, he hasn't returned to training, and we don't know when he will be able to do so. He's coming to the sessions okay, but that's only to receive treatment from the medical people.

'The biggest problem with an injury of this type is that a player takes a good bit of time to recover from it. The medical people don't know for sure how long it will take, but they feel it could be six to eight weeks.

'And it's just four weeks since we played Longford.'

Apart from Donaghy the Kingdom have no other injury worries: 'There were a few muscle pulls and strains after the Dublin game, but nothing of any significance to worry about,' continued O'Keeffe.

Question for ye now that Donaghy is unlikely to play against Meath would ye start Donaghy IF we get to an All Ireland Final?

The High Ball didnt work against Tyrone we all know that but the quick low ball worked against Dublin. I know they are different teams and Tyrone would never give us that space.

The quick low ball set up a lot of the half foward line to set them up for scores but the high ball id determined on the forward catching, turning making space and scoring something that wont be easy against Tyrone or Cork

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Terrible Terrible news. That plank Ó Cnámha is reffing!
    How is he getting All Ireland Semi Finals!!!
    Worst Ref since Bannon!

the 2 of them and add in maurice deegan....:mad::mad:

yayamark wrote: »

Question for ye now that Donaghy is unlikely to play against Meath would ye start Donaghy IF we get to an All Ireland Final?

The High Ball didnt work against Tyrone we all know that but the quick low ball worked against Dublin. I know they are different teams and Tyrone would never give us that space.

The quick low ball set up a lot of the half foward line to set them up for scores but the high ball id determined on the forward catching, turning making space and scoring something that wont be easy against Tyrone or Cork

If Donaghy doesn't play some part against Meath and we were to win, then I wouldn't start him in the AI Final. Saying that Donaghy is equally adept at playing the quick low ball game. If you remember the second AI win over Mayo, then Kerry played an entirely different game (ie quick ball) than the previous one (high ball) and Donaghy was very good in it.

I was a bit disappointed that Kerry (Donaghy and O'Keeffe) came out after the Dublin game and said so much about our tactics and who we targeted. You can be sure Dublin will use that to their advantage next time we meet and also I'd say the remaining managers in the semis were loving it. I couldn't see Mickey Harte or even Conor Counihan coming out with statements like that. Its fair enough if you have SAM in your hands, but it was only a QF win. What do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,371 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If you have doubts about a players fitness but would like to see him involved you are better off to start him than bring him on, and its simply because if you take him off it only costs you one subsitute but if you bring him on and have to take him off its costing you two.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

careca wrote: »
    If Donaghy doesn't play some part against Meath and we were to win, then I wouldn't start him in the AI Final. Saying that Donaghy is equally adept at playing the quick low ball game. If you remember the second AI win over Mayo, then Kerry played an entirely different game (ie quick ball) than the previous one (high ball) and Donaghy was very good in it.

I was a bit disappointed that Kerry (Donaghy and O'Keeffe) came out after the Dublin game and said so much about our tactics and who we targeted. You can be sure Dublin will use that to their advantage next time we meet and also I'd say the remaining managers in the semis were loving it. I couldn't see Mickey Harte or even Conor Counihan coming out with statements like that. Its fair enough if you have SAM in your hands, but it was only a QF win. What do people think?

I didn't read anything into it at all careca tbh. Similar to Jacko's comments about the 3 qualifier games, he wasn't blowing steam up the ar$es of Longford, SLigo or Antrim, justs aying how those matches were going to be All-Ireland finals for those counties and that they were tough games. As for Star's comments, he just called it as it was. A complete dissection of Dublin. To call it anything other would have been regarded as "cute hoorism" at its worst, and in fairness there was nothing derogotory said.

In relation to Counihan, he was especially fortright in his opinions both after the first game and prior to the replay in his belief that Cork had targeted areas and were sure they were going to exploit them in the the Pairc. Mickey Harte is Mickey Harte, butter wouldn't melt.

Last thing. It was more than a Q/F win. It was a statement of intent. It might have only been one final act of defiance, a "close the ranks and come out fighting" performance, but they did it, and against most of the odds. Can they do it again? I'm sure they can, as the hard work (in terms of fitness and preparation) is done, and it should be a matter of focussing on keeping that level ticking over and focussing on ballwork and tactics from now on. That was a point that was grossly overlooked here and in the general media (both print and television) but mentioned by a few us on here and on the kerry forum.

The self belief in this group of players is fantastic, I've no doubt when the draw was made they'd have felt the end of September was achievable. Remember they've only been eliminated from the All-Ireland by one team since this team reincarnated itself. An equally superb team in Tyrone. 2003 was a wake-up call, 2005 the teams were seperated only by a single moment of genius by a single genius player, no different to Fitzy being the difference between ourselves and Armagh in 2000. 2008, Tyrone were cannier, that was the essential difference, not a difference in abilities. Hopefully we can resume that battle again this year. I've no doubt our lads are itching to prove themselves equals.

Ciarrai Abu....

Kingdom wrote: »
    I didn't read anything into it at all careca tbh. Similar to Jacko's comments about the 3 qualifier games, he wasn't blowing steam up the ar$es of Longford, SLigo or Antrim, justs aying how those matches were going to be All-Ireland finals for those counties and that they were tough games. As for Star's comments, he just called it as it was. A complete dissection of Dublin. To call it anything other would have been regarded as "cute hoorism" at its worst, and in fairness there was nothing derogotory said.

In relation to Counihan, he was especially fortright in his opinions both after the first game and prior to the replay in his belief that Cork had targeted areas and were sure they were going to exploit them in the the Pairc. Mickey Harte is Mickey Harte, butter wouldn't melt.

Last thing. It was more than a Q/F win. It was a statement of intent. It might have only been one final act of defiance, a "close the ranks and come out fighting" performance, but they did it, and against most of the odds. Can they do it again? I'm sure they can, as the hard work (in terms of fitness and preparation) is done, and it should be a matter of focussing on keeping that level ticking over and focussing on ballwork and tactics from now on. That was a point that was grossly overlooked here and in the general media (both print and television) but mentioned by a few us on here and on the kerry forum.

The self belief in this group of players is fantastic, I've no doubt when the draw was made they'd have felt the end of September was achievable. Remember they've only been eliminated from the All-Ireland by one team since this team reincarnated itself. An equally superb team in Tyrone. 2003 was a wake-up call, 2005 the teams were seperated only by a single moment of genius by a single genius player, no different to Fitzy being the difference between ourselves and Armagh in 2000. 2008, Tyrone were cannier, that was the essential difference, not a difference in abilities. Hopefully we can resume that battle again this year. I've no doubt our lads are itching to prove themselves equals.

Ciarrai Abu....

Very good post. Jesus, you have me fired up for the semi final already. My boss is a Meath man. Think I'll head in to his office and give him a belt of a shoulder :)

• Advertisement

careca wrote: »
    Very good post. Jesus, you have me fired up for the semi final already. My boss is a Meath man. Think I'll head in to his office and give him a belt of a shoulder :)

Lol. :D

big spread on gooch in the Mirror today.

Page 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

Page 3 Gooch!
    My eyes, my eyes, :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Any links to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Howya Lads and Lassies. Can any of ye tell me how many of the current Kerry Panel are from Junior clubs? Have to settle an argument at work.

Thank you and continued good luck in the championship.

The performance against Dublin restored my faith in the game of Gaelic Football. A brilliant mix of all the good things about our game.

LeoB wrote: »
    Howya Lads and Lassies. Can any of ye tell me how many of the current Kerry Panel are from Junior clubs? Have to settle an argument at work.

whats the bet and the discussion?

the term "junior clubs" does not really exist in Kerry. officially, there are but realistically they are not. there are 5 senior divisions in kerry and there are club championships that divide these teams into senior, intermediate and junior (b) but they all play in the senior league and the club championshiops up until 4 years ago, didnt matter. its a reason why kerry clubs do so well in the intermediate and junior club all irelands (theyve nearly won them all!). there are 3 or 4 junior clubs but most "junior" teams are the b and c teams from the senior teams. the lowest ranking teams in kerry squad would be Glenbeigh (darran and aidan o shea) or scaraglin (padraig reidy) who play in division 4. most of the panel would be from division 1 and 2 clubs naturally.

the structure in Kerry is different to everywhere else. its hard to explain!

The discussion was basically about the difference in other counties and not having to be with a big club to play Senior county football.

It appears or feels in Dublin you wont get picked if the "A" team in your club is not among the the top 2 divisions. Division 1 and 2 are Senior, 3 and 4 Intermediate and 5 to 12N are Junior. 1 of the lads says he reckons that in Kerry, Cork, Tyrone it does not matter and as a result Dublin miss out on some class players who dont play senior club football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭helpisontheway

LeoB wrote: »
    The discussion was basically about the difference in other counties and not having to be with a big club to play Senior county football.

It appears or feels in Dublin you wont get picked if the "A" team in your club is not among the the top 2 divisions. Division 1 and 2 are Senior, 3 and 4 Intermediate and 5 to 12N are Junior. 1 of the lads says he reckons that in Kerry, Cork, Tyrone it does not matter and as a result Dublin miss out on some class players who dont play senior club football.

To compare so you could ask the question as to what players on the Kerry team play with clubs not in division 1 or 2?
    Answer-Paul Galvin,Darren O Sullivan,Declan O Sullivan,Aidan O Shea,Sean O Sullivan,Donnacha Walsh,Killian Young,Padraig Reidy,Anthony Maher,Seamus Scanlon.

Thanks for replies lads. There will be some s**t at work in the morning.
    By the way we are all Dubs where I work, admirers of Kerry tho;).

• Advertisement

To compare so you could ask the question as to what players on the Kerry team play with clubs not in division 1 or 2?
    Answer-Paul Galvin,Darren O Sullivan,Declan O Sullivan,Aidan O Shea,Sean O Sullivan,Donnacha Walsh,Killian Young,Padraig Reidy,Anthony Maher,Seamus Scanlon.

Paul (finuge), declan (dromid) and scanlon (currow) all play for top clubs mate ;)

4 of those lads have won munster club medals in the past 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭helpisontheway

Paul (finuge), declan (dromid) and scanlon (currow) all play for top clubs mate ;)

4 of those lads have won munster club medals in the past 2 years.

Sorry Paul and Scanlons teams are both in division 2 of the county senior league so all the others play with clubs division 3 or lower in the county league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

whats the bet and the discussion?

the term "junior clubs" does not really exist in Kerry. officially, there are but realistically they are not. there are 5 senior divisions in kerry and there are club championships that divide these teams into senior, intermediate and junior (b) but they all play in the senior league and the club championshiops up until 4 years ago, didnt matter. its a reason why kerry clubs do so well in the intermediate and junior club all irelands (theyve nearly won them all!). there are 3 or 4 junior clubs but most "junior" teams are the b and c teams from the senior teams. the lowest ranking teams in kerry squad would be Glenbeigh (darran and aidan o shea) or scaraglin (padraig reidy) who play in division 4. most of the panel would be from division 1 and 2 clubs naturally.

the structure in Kerry is different to everywhere else. its hard to explain!

Easily known you haven't been home in a while, Cromane are struggling to get out of Division 5 with Donnacha and Sean O Sullivan playing with them.

Easily known you haven't been home in a while, Cromane are struggling to get out of Division 5 with Donnacha and Sean O Sullivan playing with them.

Didn't want to jump on the poster myself, but thought there was a couple of inaccuracies alright!

This is the panel from the Dublin match:

1) Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle) - Senior
    (2) Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) - Senior
    (3) Tommy Griffin (Dingle) Senior
    (4) Tom O’Sullivan (Rathmore) Senior
    (5) Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) Senior
    (6) Mike McCarthy (Kilcummin) Senior
    (7) Killian Young (Renard)
    (8) Darragh Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) Senior
    (9) Seamus Scanlon (Currow) Intermediate
    (10) Paul Galvin (Finuge) Intermediate
    (11) Declan O’Sullivan (Piarsaigh Na Dromada) Intermediate
    (12) Donnacha Walsh (Cromane)

(13) Colm Cooper (Dr. Crokes) Senior
    (14) Tommy Walsh (Kerins O'Rahilly) Senior
    (15) Darran O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) (Captain)

Subs:

(16) Ger Reidy (Castleisland Desmonds) Intermediate?
    (17) Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore) Senior
    (18) Tadhg Kennelly (Listowel Emmetts)
    (19) Seán O’Sullivan (Cromane)
    (20) Micheal Quirke (Kerins O'Rahillys) Senior
    (21) Paul O’Connor (Kenmare)
    (22) Padraig Reidy (Scartaglin)
    (23) Aidan O’Shea (Glenbeigh/Glencar)
    (24) Bryan Sheehan (St. Mary's)

(25) David Moran (Kerins O’Rahilly’s) Senior
    (26) Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks) Senior
    (27) Barry John Walsh (Kerins O’Rahillys) Senior
    (28) Kieran Quirke (Duagh)
    (29) Maurice Corridan (Finuge)
    (30) Anthony Maher (Duagh)

The bold are what I'd consider to be small clubs in the general scheme of things.

I wouldnt class Currow, Dromid and Finuge as small clubs :)

the point im making really, is that the structure in Kerry is differnet so the term Senior and Junior is not the same as in other counties. Tarbert for example are classed as Junior, yet are in Divison 1 playing against the "big clubs".

another point noting is that all players in Kerry, can play in the Senior county championship as we then have another 10 or so Divisional Clubs who form up of clubs who are classed as Intermediate-Novice.

Its very confusing unless your from Kerry.

Its really interesting looking at the Kerry panel and the mix of clubs. Shane Ryan is the only player from outside Div 1 and 2 to play championship football for quite a while. Bit like the age thing if your good enough you are old enough and the same applies to if the player is good enough play him. This is sadly lacking in Dublin football. There is this notion you need to be playing with a "Big" club every week. As a result you see a lot of manufactured players playing for Dublin instead of more natural ball players.

Kerry, Tyrone, Meath and Galway put that firmly to bed. The point I have made in Dublin is any lad from a junior club with talent will be brought on from playing with top players.

bump, no post in 10 days is surprising!

terrible display by the Minors yesterday, tho beaten by the better team. Eanna O connor is something else from Placed balls, quite possibly the best ive ever seen at that level. I hope that Paul O Sullivan in goals maintains that potential cos he has a savage kickout and is rock solid, defo a massiave chance for him to take over from Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

(1) Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle)
    (2) Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht)
    (3) Tommy Griffin (Dingle)
    (4) Tom O’Sullivan (Rathmore)
    (5) Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht)
    (6) Mike McCarthy (Kilcummin)
    (7) Killian Young (Renard)
    (8) Darragh Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht)
    (9) Seamus Scanlon (Currow)
    (10) Paul Galvin (Finuge)
    (11) Tadhg Kennelly (Listowel Emmett’s)
    (12) Donnacha Walsh (Cromane)
    (13) Colm Cooper (Dr. Crokes)
    (14) Declan O’Sullivan (Piarsaigh Na Dromada)
    (15) Darran O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) (Captain)

Avenge 2001 and the Royal olé boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Did ye read what mcguigan said in the independent??Sour grapes if u asked me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rebelchick2

I would just like to wish Kerry the best of luck on sunday!!!!!!

I hope ye'll be joining us in the final ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement