Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

I am very surprised at this comeback. He'll have a lot of work to do to get himself up to match speed, no matter how much he has kept himself in shape over the last 2 years.

If he does get to the required level he'll be a great impact sub, I can't see him being a starter but certainly a great asset to have with 15 minutes to go when the game gets a bit looser and broken up.

I wish him and the Kerry panel all the best and hope it's as successful a comeback as Mike Mac's was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

His workrate was down but he did have two nice clipped points from play on the left n made most of his passes. He was involved in one buildup to a goal with a great pass back from the left wing in first half?

He was repeatedly burned for pace by James McCarthy, couldn't get away from his man in possession and generally not able to get around the pitch like he used to. He kicked 2 pts from 20 yards yeah, but apart from that he was having no effect...that was 18 months ago and he hasn't even played Senior club championship since then. I don't know if he'll able to get near the level of conditioning needed to have any impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Im very iffy about this one, I felt he retired at the right time and I cant see how can have improved or at the least stayed at the same level of fitness considering he has hardly played any club football since.
    Very puzzling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

The man is an absolute legend but I really don't see how a comeback could work at this stage. He must have missed playing very badly. No way he'll get a starting spot but maybe the management think he'll be able to give the team a lift coming off the bench in certain games. To be honest I think we've great options in the forwards as it is, and he'll struggle to get minutes on the pitch. Best of luck to him though, hope he proves me wrong and has an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Great news for the other 33 counties but winter talk IMHO.

• Advertisement

wackokid wrote: »
    Great news for the other 33 counties but winter talk IMHO.

Its been confirmed by the Kerry county board

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So Galvin and his brother in law where having a chat one day and Galvin mentioned that he was missing the county setup a bit.

The brother in law said, "sure why not come back training, will do not harm, may cause a media circus but that's nothing new".

I'd say there is no more to it than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

We could of done with him last year, nobody will say. It's like BOD coming out of retirement before the Rugby World Cup. More media circus pressure on the team too so don't understand Fitz (relations aside) agreeing to it. Why Paul why tarnish your legend? You had a great innings. Leave it to the next generation. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don't really see this as a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Think this past few posts sum up the embarrassment of riches the kingdom have :D

Different breed (that's a compliment btw).

As a neutral, Galvin has been one of my favourite footballers for the past decade, hopefully get to see him run out in the summer.

I appreciate the comments about it being the right time last year and you're probably right but sport has this unique trait of coming up with little pieces of romance like this. Galvin to pop over a snapshot to win the Munster final anyone!?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I want Kerry to focus on blooding through our minors and unearthing and developing new up and coming talent. Galvin had his day and is a legend of the jersey there is no doubt and I wouldn't begrudge him a place on the panel and another All-Ireland medal if Kerry won it again this year, however the focus should be on the young lads, let Galvin have a lap of honour if Kerry were steamrolling some team like Cork in a Munster Final or Mayo in an All-Ireland final, he might have 15 - 20 mins of fitness but his temperament was very dodgy. His experience and expertise may be of use to the younger lads and he might be a father like figure. I hope he gets a run in the League. However there is a precedent and Mike McCarthy came out of retirement in 2009 (albeit aged 31) and there would be no All-Ireland victory that year without his enormous contribution.

Mike Mac did retire too early the first time around though. I think PGal timed his retirement well and should have left it there

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

If we hadn't talent coming through, I would've been happy see Galvin return. But, that said, if he's up to it, then let him play and if he's in form, then great.

He's surely in better nick than Declan was 12 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Whether this is a good or a bad thing lies firmly at the feet of Eamon Fitz and how much he uses Galvin.

Having a player of his mentality, his commitment and drive, will serve the panel well - we're better off having him on the panel. Who knows, he might teach Geaney a thing or two! Ultimately, the sessions should be better for having him there.

With 20mins left in a game and Kerry needing to win scrappy ball - it's nice to know Galvin can be called upon. It's a good option to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Should be a good man to have in around the panel,cant see him getting much game time though but a handy option to have to come off the bench.

We'l see how it goes.

Not the first to come out of retirement apart for Mike Mac,didnt The Bomber come out of retirement in the early 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Bomber Liston's return is hardly a golden chapter in the history of Kerry football is it though?

Mike Mac was an exception in 09 but then again he was the exception to most rules, and he retired first at a young age in 2006.

Personally I think the panel we had last Sunday plus all those due to return is strong. Not as if there isn't competition for places already.

I'm not entirely sure what Paul Galvin might have that isn't already there but clearly management have a better idea of these things. He was a great player in the past and nothing can take that away but I felt he was well past his best before he retired. It's not as if he's been setting the club or county championship scene on fire since then.

I'd be happier to see a few younger players graduate up and get their chance.

Its a strange move for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Radio5 wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure what Paul Galvin might have that isn't already there but clearly management have a better idea of these things. He was a great player in the past and nothing can take that away but I felt he was well past his best before he retired. It's not as if he's been setting the club or county championship scene on fire since then.

Mentoring? A good voice to have in the dressing room?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

if everybody is fit, we now essentially have two sets of forwards -

Darran
    Gooch
    Buckley
    JOD
    Donaghy
    P Geaney

M Geaney----Sheehan----O'Brien
    O'Leary
    Walsh
    BJ Keane

this doesnt include the likes of Galvin, Keane, Cox, Callaghan, Carroll,Casey, O Grady, even Spillane if you are playing a 15 V 15 in training and want to move Sheehan and Walsh to midfield.

also in the backs, we are developing a real strong back up.

Marc
    Aidan
    Fionn
    Murphy----Crowley----Young.

Pa
    Griffan
    Enright
    Lyne----Sherwood--Galvin...

im probably missing somebody else, but even at that, its unusal for us to have 5 good subs in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

mystic86 wrote: »
    Mentoring? A good voice to have in the dressing room?

Yes but he could do all of that just as easily in a non-playing role.

Darran
    Gooch
    Buckley
    JOD
    Donaghy
    P Geaney

O'Leary
    Walsh
    BJ Keane

this doesnt include the likes of Galvin, Keane, Cox, Callaghan, Carroll,Casey, O Grady, even Spillane if you are playing a 15 V 15 in training and want to move Sheehan and Walsh to midfield.

Marc
    Aidan
    Fionn

Pa
    Griffan
    Enright

im probably missing somebody else, but even at that, its unusal for us to have 5 good subs in defence.

A real pity Culhane is away for the summer.

I think Fionn might be under pressure. Was ropey enough at times last year and hasn't been pulling up trees in the league so far either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

keane2097 wrote: »
    A real pity Culhane is away for the summer.

I think Fionn might be under pressure. Was ropey enough at times last year and hasn't been pulling up trees in the league so far either.

Ferghal McNamara is a player i think will be close to the panel, Add in Alan Fitzgerald & Daithi Casey aswell

Podge O'Connor is another very promising defender judging by the Sigerson.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

keane2097 wrote: »
    Podge O'Connor is another very promising defender judging by the Sigerson.
    About as sticky a marker you'll come across - if you'd told me a few years back that Fionn would make the breakthrough onto the senior setup before Podge I'd have been very suprised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

While its a bit of a funny one for sure, I have so much faith in Fitzmaruice to make the right calls. He knows the dynamic of the squad, his vision for the team, the form of players and where he feels we are strong and need improvement. If he thinks Paul can contribute(I'm sure they have discussed it all at great length) then get him back into the panel and see what happens.

In Fitz we trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    While its a bit of a funny one for sure, I have so much faith in Fitzmaruice to make the right calls. He knows the dynamic of the squad, his vision for the team, the form of players and where he feels we are strong and need improvement. If he thinks Paul can contribute(I'm sure they have discussed it all at great length) then get him back into the panel and see what happens.

In Fitz we trust.

And it's hard to see how he can lose either way - if Galvin's not fit enough, he goes back to the bench, and the minors step up, and if he is, then it's a useful cameo.

Team announced for the Cork game about an hour ago...

pretty much the same team and panel as was for the Dublin game, with from what i can see, only 1 change - BJ Keane starts instead of P Geaney.

that means, unbelievably that Mikey Geaney starts. the man is a liability and its no surprise that as soon as we took him off the last day, we'd a 7 point turn around.

Baffling that he keeps getting picked.

just realised that out of that panel i mentioned above, i forgot Donnacha Walsh.

my word, we have some panel.....

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

my word, we have some panel.....

Word of caution.... Dublin thought the same thing last year....

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Kerryfootball

Lads lay off Michael Geaney some of the criticism on here is over the top.
    It's only March and we are getting experience into the panel.
    At the end of the Day Eamon knows what he's doing so trust he is doing the best for the team.

I'm concerned about Colms injury, considering the word out of the camp was that he was well on track now that's delayed.
    That's what's playing on my mind if I'm honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Darran
    Gooch
    Buckley
    JOD
    Donaghy
    P Geaney

O'Leary
    Walsh
    BJ Keane

Marc
    Aidan
    Fionn

Pa
    Griffan
    Enright

Could this be the start of the 5 in a row?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement