Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Henwin wrote: »
    where do ye think tat match will be played

Portlaoise id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Its a joke,Antrim have gone 2 years in a row without winning a game in the league stages,they only stayed up last year by beating Offaly in the relegation play off,the week before Offaly beat them in last round of the league

Antrim should be down,simple as that

I think I heard promotion/ relegation is automatic next year? Is that right?

SeaFields wrote: »
    I think I heard promotion/ relegation is automatic next year? Is that right?

Not sure about the league but the winners of the Christy Ring this year go straight into next years the Leinster Championship round robin stage next year,they got rid of the play off between the bottom team in that round robin stage and the Christy Ring winners

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Good to stay up. Can anyone explain the free to Tyrone at the end? tyrone had two points from play 2nd half and a lot of soft soft frees.

I dont like giving out about refs but this lack of consistency every week is ridiculous. Tommy Walsh had a player run and jump shoulder him in the back directly before that and got nothing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Joe McQuillan was atrocious. Turned what should have been a 3 point victory into a draw. Seán Cavanagh was lucky to be on the field after two reckless tackles in a row. Also, Mattie Donnelly clearly struck Geaney in the face on the 21 and he gave only a yellow! He saw it happen, ran in and after everything he bottles the call. As for the free on Lyne where he seemed to put his foot under the ball and the free on Moran at the end for pushing off,the less said the better.

Glad to be still up. Good league in terms of players blooded. T. Walsh did well today though he kicked a bad wide, he showed really well for the ball and won a lot of ball out in front!

Delighted to see the Gooch back. Calmed everything down and helped to kill the clock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

McQuilan is and always has been a funking useless ref. I feel for refs at times and its not a job id like but he has been woeful anytime Kerry have had him, some of the decisions today were laughable and we're very lucky that we didnt lose because of him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

A very inconsistent League overall but still in Div one which is crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Joe McQuillan was atrocious. Turned what should have been a 3 point victory into a draw. Seán Cavanagh was lucky to be on the field after two reckless tackles in a row. Also, Mattie Donnelly clearly struck Geaney in the face on the 21 and he gave only a yellow! He saw it happen, ran in and after everything he bottles the call. As for the free on Lyne where he seemed to put his foot under the ball and the free on Moran at the end for pushing off,the less said the better.

Glad to be still up. Good league in terms of players blooded. T. Walsh did well today though he kicked a bad wide, he showed really well for the ball and won a lot of ball out in front!

Delighted to see the Gooch back. Calmed everything down and helped to kill the clock.

Was one of the Cavanagh tackles you're referring to his hit on Murphy? Because I thought that was a very good shoulder, looked like a frontal charge but to me, shoulder to shoulder hit.

Only saw a bit of the match but from what I saw there were one or two frustrating moments. Firstly, what in the name of fúck was Sean O'Brien doing getting a black card. Hand trip a fella and take a black card if you need to stop a score, or if you feel there's a break on, but he simply lost posession a good 70 yards from his own goal and lost the run of himself. Seeing stuff like that infuriates me - completely unnecessary.

Couple of minutes later - Enright getting sidestepped by Cavanagh - pathetic defending, I know Cavanagh is good, but you wouldn't see defending like that at minor level.

I thought Buckley was impressive, Crowley seemed very controlled in the middle, as did Moran. Geaney did very well when he came on - the point with his right was sublime and of course - the main man is back :)

Glad to still hav Div.1 status, hopefully we'll be able to run repairs and have us flying for Munster, can't wait for summer now Colm's back!

D'Agger wrote: »
    Was one of the Cavanagh tackles you're referring to his hit on Murphy? Because I thought that was a very good shoulder, looked like a frontal charge but to me, shoulder to shoulder hit.

Only saw a bit of the match but from what I saw there were one or two frustrating moments. Firstly, what in the name of fúck was Sean O'Brien doing getting a black card. Hand trip a fella and take a black card if you need to stop a score, or if you feel there's a break on, but he simply lost posession a good 70 yards from his own goal and lost the run of himself. Seeing stuff like that infuriates me - completely unnecessary.

Couple of minutes later - Enright getting sidestepped by Cavanagh - pathetic defending, I know Cavanagh is good, but you wouldn't see defending like that at minor level.

I thought Buckley was impressive, Crowley seemed very controlled in the middle, as did Moran. Geaney did very well when he came on - the point with his right was sublime and of course - the main man is back :)

Glad to still hav Div.1 status, hopefully we'll be able to run repairs and have us flying for Munster, can't wait for summer now Colm's back!
    Murphy had gone inside him and Cavanagh hit him square on, he made no attempt to go side on and it was a poor challenge for me. But i've only seen it once, so perhaps it wasn't so bad with the cameras. Its also a big guy hitting a little guy which always makes things look worse I suppose.

The Tyrone fans were brilliant, good humoured, well informed and very welcoming. They had no complaints and took relegation very well.

The Tyrone also formed a guard of honour for Kerry, which showed immense class. In fact they formed it after their team photo not knowing that Kerry had only gone in from their warm up a few minutes before. So after waiting for 3 minutes, Seán Cavanagh got them to break up the guard of honour, and continue with their warm up. Then they got the nod 5 or 6 minutes later that Kerry were coming out, and they went back and formed the guard again.

That hurling playoff against Antrim is on in Parnell Park next Saturday evening at 5.30pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Stephen O'Brien ;) has had poor enough form in relation to stuff like this - there was one other game in the league where he reacted right in front of the ref after he'd been fouled and the free had been awarded. He was haunted the ref didnt turn it into a throw ball. I had high hopes from him and he looked like a player with promise but I think he really needs to cut this out especially given how Darran was looking back to being fit and lively again compared to the injured version of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Only realised about five after donegal and mayo drew thst ridiculous free at the end cost us a semi final spot.

Thats a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Once we weren't relegated I don't mind. Decisions can't be undone so no point getting flustered about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Murphy had gone inside him and Cavanagh hit him square on, he made no attempt to go side on and it was a poor challenge for me. But i've only seen it once, so perhaps it wasn't so bad with the cameras. Its also a big guy hitting a little guy which always makes things look worse I suppose.

I've seen them given and it did look bad - however as you say, it was Murphy being hit by Cavanagh, there was only going to be one winner. That said, Murphy did step inside and while Cavanagh did meet him from the front, I thought it was a solid shoulder to shoulder connection, a heavy challenge - yes, but for me it looked within the rules....and I'm a forward, I'd definitely be looking for a free if I took a hit like that :pac:
    The Tyrone fans were brilliant, good humoured, well informed and very welcoming. They had no complaints and took relegation very well.

The Tyrone also formed a guard of honour for Kerry, which showed immense class. In fact they formed it after their team photo not knowing that Kerry had only gone in from their warm up a few minutes before. So after waiting for 3 minutes, Seán Cavanagh got them to break up the guard of honour, and continue with their warm up. Then they got the nod 5 or 6 minutes later that Kerry were coming out, and they went back and formed the guard again.

That's incredibly classy, fair play to them. Was only talking to my dad about the Tyrone fans being great to chat to, they've immense respect for Kerry and they've been vocal about that in the past. Sorry to see them relegated, always a tough team to play and we've built up a great rivalry with them over the years, will miss that fixture next year.
    Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Stephen O'Brien ;) has had poor enough form in relation to stuff like this - there was one other game in the league where he reacted right in front of the ref after he'd been fouled and the free had been awarded. He was haunted the ref didnt turn it into a throw ball. I had high hopes from him and he looked like a player with promise but I think he really needs to cut this out especially given how Darran was looking back to being fit and lively again compared to the injured version of last year.

Sean O'Brien would've been happy with that hand trip :pac:

Yeah the Dublin game, thought he was going to see red for that - pushed the player in the face and he fell onto his back, ref missed it thankfully but he needs to start showing more - like you said, Darran looked lively & was involved for Geaneys goal

Great to see the Gooch back on the pitch yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

This.

I cracked up when Enright let him get past him that easy. you know Sean Cavanagh is gonna turn to he's right foot.

The defending and in particular our tackling was porous at times. I thought J Lyne was a big culprit in this regard giving away too many soft frees.

I'm no fan of Joe but the majority of frees were due to poor execution in the tackle. It kept Tyrone in the game.

Very surprised P Crowley was taken off. He's our best defender.

Plenty to work on, our defence looks suspect, especially to runners down the middle.

Just glad we retained our Division 1 status and great to see the Gooch back.
    he looked to be playing the game at a different pace to everybody else..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

In the last 15 minutes of this game I thought Kerry really showed the approach to getting around the blanket. Every man in the middle knew his job which was to kick it himself or get it to a man who could kick it into Donaghy or Geaney. Almost all passes in that period were just focussed on getting someone open and settled to kick it in. OSullivan and Cooper stationed themselves wide in unmarked areas of space within kicking distance of the full forward line.
    Thought Bryan Sheehan played well he does everything so intelligently and probably added minimum 1 extra point from frees compared to reserve free takers.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Before youz lads get carried away blaming Joe McQuillan ye should thank him for overlooking 'another' double hop by Darren O Sullivan in the last passage of play before Star's flappy point which made all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

wackokid wrote: »
    Before youz lads get carried away blaming Joe McQuillan ye should thank him for overlooking 'another' double hop by Darren O Sullivan in the last passage of play before Star's flappy point which made all the difference.

OK.

The Kerry Senior Hurling Team to play Antrim in the Allianz Hurling League playoff at Parnell Park on Saturday at 3:00 pm shows just one change from the side that defeated Westmeath in the AHL Div 2A Final on Saturday last; Goalkeeper James Logue is clubtied and he is replaced by Stephen Murphy. David Butler is added to the travelling party.

The team, captained by John Griffin, lines out as follows:

1 Stephen Murphy Causeway

2 Dougie Fitzell Kilmoyley

3 Paud Costelloe Ballyduff

4 Bryan Murphy Causeway

5 Sean Weir Crotta O’Neills

6 Darren Dineen St Brendans

7 Daniel Collins Kilmoyley

8 John Griffin (c) Lixnaw

9 Patrick Kelly Clarecastle (An Clár)

10 Michael O’Leary Abbeydorney

11 Shane Nolan Crotta O’Neills

12 Colm Harty Causeway

13 Mikey Boyle Ballyduff

14 Padraig Boyle Ballyduff

15 Keith Carmody Causeway

Fir Ionaid:

16 James Logue Ballingarry (Tiobraid Árann)

17 Tommy Casey Causeway

18 John Egan St Brendans

19 James Flaherty Lixnaw

20 Rory Horgan St Brendans

21 Philip Lucid Ballyheigue

22 Giles O’Grady Ballyduff

23 Brendan O’Leary Abbeydorney

24 Adrian Royle Kilmoyley

25 Darragh Shanahan Lixnaw

26 David Butler Knockavilla Kickhams

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news/356769/Kerry_Senior_Hurling_Team_V_Antrim_AHL_Playoff

Best of luck to all involved on Saturday,hopefully the lads can rattle Antrim
    and get the win to get promoted to 1B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Pardon my ignorance but who are Knockavilla Kickhams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Does anybody know when the next round of intermediate championships is? Kerry GAA site is showing me last years results. First round is 19th so is it the week after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

wonga77 wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance but who are Knockavilla Kickhams?
    From West Tipp (Donaskeigh)

9bred4 wrote: »
    Does anybody know when the next round of intermediate championships is? Kerry GAA site is showing me last years results. First round is 19th so is it the week after?

Ya was checking the fixture planner there, its down for the 26th with more games in round 2 on the 2nd of May, you can download the planner in the link below,its in the 2015 EOLAIRE

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/contentPage/324083/e_o_l_a_i_r_e

Seen a result there tonight

Kerry beat Limerick in the Munster Junior Camogie Championship

Kerry 3-12
    Limerick 3-10

Kerry now play Cork in the Munster Final

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone heading to the PCD match.

Kerry getting pretty badly beaten 10 points to 2.

Kerry getting pretty badly beaten 10 points to 2.

Saying on the radio that Antrim are playing with a strong breeze

• Advertisement

Thats good so. 10 - 3 at half time is it?

EDIT: I see its 11-3. Hope for better luck in the second half.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement