Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Here I go so:

Div 1 - Strand Road
    Div 2 - Stacks
    Div 3 - Castlegregory
    Div 4 - Fossa
    Div 5 - Ballydonoghue

Senior - Strand Road
    Inter - Listowel
    Junior - Castlegregory
    Novice - Fossa

Thats my predictions for the year- I also reckon that unless Kilcummin can get dodge to come back then they could well lose their senior status.
    Legion should survive in Div2 but they will have to fight tooth and nail

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

kerry people are slowly taking over this forum :D

long may it continue!

too early to study form this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Here I go so:

Div 1 - Strand Road
    Div 2 - Stacks
    Div 3 - Castlegregory
    Div 4 - Fossa
    Div 5 - Ballydonoghue

Senior - Strand Road
    Inter - Listowel
    Junior - Castlegregory
    Novice - Fossa

Thats my predictions for the year- I also reckon that unless Kilcummin can get dodge to come back then they could well lose their senior status.
    Legion should survive in Div2 but they will have to fight tooth and nail

I'm a Strand Road man myself and to be honest I can see this year being a tough one for us. It will be tough for us to recover from the loss in the County Final this year - it was such a cruel finish. Added to that the fact that we've lost Jack O'Connor and (even more unfortunately imo) Alan O'Sullivan means this could be more a year of consolidation than anything.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I see us probably winning or being there-thereabouts in the League, but probably not winning the Championship for 2 or 3 years. Our backs especially aren't the finished article yet, although there are some guys in there with massive potential - Brendan Quill will be a great club player for the next ten years or more and Gavin Duffy is potentially an absolutely smashing player (very good even now). There are a couple more as well but as a unit I don't see them as that strong yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

25 February 2009

Inspirational Kerry midfielder Darragh Ó Sé is expected to return to intercounty training with the Kingdom this week.

With Tom O’Sullivan, Tomas Ó Sé, Michael Quirke and Kieran Donaghy already back in the fold, Ó Sé’s return will leave manager Jack O’Connor with his strongest hand to choose from as Kerry bid to regain Sam Maguire in 2009.

<div id="island">

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm a Strand Road man myself and to be honest I can see this year being a tough one for us. It will be tough for us to recover from the loss in the County Final this year - it was such a cruel finish. Added to that the fact that we've lost Jack O'Connor and (even more unfortunately imo) Alan O'Sullivan means this could be more a year of consolidation than anything.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I see us probably winning or being there-thereabouts in the League, but probably not winning the Championship for 2 or 3 years. Our backs especially aren't the finished article yet, although there are some guys in there with massive potential - Brendan Quill will be a great club player for the next ten years or more and Gavin Duffy is potentially an absolutely smashing player (very good even now). There are a couple more as well but as a unit I don't see them as that strong yet.

Not champions this year maybe, but long-term that could be an absolutely brilliant team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Don't see why not- I'm a Legion man so be gentle. ;)

Whatever happened to the Legion?

The 90s were good to them doing well in the league and okish in the championship.

But its just all tailed off now

Fine new clubhouse now in Ballydribeen.

Did u play are u still playn with them?

Agus wrote: »
    Not champions this year maybe, but long-term that could be an absolutely brilliant team.

Hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Whatever happened to the Legion?

The 90s were good to them doing well in the league and okish in the championship.

But its just all tailed off now

Fine new clubhouse now in Ballydribeen.

Did u play are u still playn with them?

Crokes ate up all the young players in the mid 90's as they had a bus that ran on saturday mornings that collected from all the estates, the legion had an aging team- I played Minor but then when I left for college in Galway that sort of distance just isn't possible so I took up soccer and basketball instead.

They've started a ambitious younth programme but they're always going to struggle as the Crokes are seen as the town team now, heck I was on that Crokes bus when I was under 10 and 12's but went back to the Legion for Minor as I had some mates playing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

I remeber Pat Healy once lamenting all the young footballing talent that left Killarney to go to different colleges around the country. "We must be the best f@cking educated team in the country", he said. Still makes me smile to think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Tyrone lad jumping in here lads - don't savage me!! As an earlier poster said No all ireland medals handed out in january and february.
    Wouldn't really be talking about the twin towers or possibly three towers for a full forward line - as an old meath man said to me at last years all ireland final - they'll win f*ck all if they keep kicking high balls in to a couple of basketball players!!
    If you had 3 goochs then we would all be f*cked - kerry playing football - real football on their day will beat anyone or run them to the wire.
    Look out for the old red hands anyway cause we are still looking at you - the bench mark so to speak!!

• Advertisement

newmills wrote: »
    Tyrone lad jumping in here lads - don't savage me!! As an earlier poster said No all ireland medals handed out in january and february.
    Wouldn't really be talking about the twin towers or possibly three towers for a full forward line - as an old meath man said to me at last years all ireland final - they'll win f*ck all if they keep kicking high balls in to a couple of basketball players!!
    If you had 3 goochs then we would all be f*cked - kerry playing football - real football on their day will beat anyone or run them to the wire.
    Look out for the old red hands anyway cause we are still looking at you - the bench mark so to speak!!

What do you mean "real football"?

Football has always traditionally been a hugely catch-and-kick based game, it's only very recently that this has begun to change, largely due to northern teams pioneering swarm defence and possession based strategies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

... They've started a ambitious younth programme but they're always going to struggle as the Crokes are seen as the town team now, heck I was on that Crokes bus when I was under 10 and 12's but went back to the Legion for Minor as I had some mates playing for them.

Spa and Legion don't seem to get a look-in anymore these days. Crokes do seem to be a more 'closed' club so to speak though as opposed to the aforementioned who seem to be more willing to open back their doors and welcome new members

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

What do you mean "real football"?

Football has always traditionally been a hugely catch-and-kick based game, it's only very recently that this has begun to change, largely due to northern teams pioneering swarm defence and possession based strategies.

By real football i mean full speed up the pitch, backs passing to midfield passing to full forwards who do the needful. I watched kerry at a league match in killarney a good few years ago and they were unreal - they moved the ball at speed from defence to attack - short hand passes and kick passes - it was the stuff of pure class. Fast forward to 2008 and it's f*ck the midfield - kick it as high and far forward as you can. Swarm defences or not - quality players who can pass and kick and move into space will score points which will win games. Take the gooch - give him a ball near the goal and it's one or three points - quality doesn't need strategies!!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0303/kennellyt.html

Looks like Kennelly is starting on Sunday against Derry - I'll be at that for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0303/kennellyt.html

Looks like Kennelly is starting on Sunday against Derry - I'll be at that for sure.

How're you making it up to Derry Mr. Incognito?

Hello everyone - another fellow Kerryman here - exiled in Dublin unfortunately.

Just to go back to the Tyrone lad above - I know your post was made with good intentions - but a Gooch Cooper doesn't come along every year. But you are right in some of the things you say. I believe that more of our forward play should go through him. I'd nearly have him in at CHF, Galvin and Declan at either side of him. FF line of Donaghy Walsh and Darren O' Sullivan. I fairness that's the only place I'd play Darren, I wouldn't have him in the half forwards.

Frog- you're crazy!

Darren is masively effective in the half forwards running at the back line at pace. I'd leave Walsh inside as he's been a magnificant ball winner, move Donaghy out to the half forwards where he can track to midfield if he wants to win kick outs and where his quick hand passing giving the ball of to Declan or Darren running in at pace.

I'd leave Gooch inside to play just off Tommy Walsh and I'd put Donnacha in the other corner as well, he's a lovely knacky little player and himself and gooch could come out and play the wings leaving declan and darren to break through at pace or kick unmolested points themselves from the angles.

As for Derry- I'll be driving up- pm me if you want a lift.

Long drive Mr. Incognito! Wouldn't envy you. There's a supporters bus up to it which is a handy one. They leave both Kerry and Dublin. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it up, I've FE1s (solicitor's exams)coming up. All 8 at the one time. :(

As for your forwards - pah! :p Donnacha Walsh isn't good enough to start imo. If you include him that means you're dropping Galvin - not feasible or wise in today's game. You need a hard working forward in every team these days. The time of 6 fat forwards waiting for a ball to throw a leg at are over I'm afraid. Darren O' Sullivan played his best game for me against Tyrone last time out. And he was in the corner roasting his man taking him on the outside and along the end line. Gooch needs to be involved more. He's got great vision, great passing ability, two great feet.......he's just great! I like the idea of Donaghy helping out midfield - but if Tadgh/Moran/Dara/Scanlon are there then it's the opposition that'll need help!:D Plus Tommy Walsh is more of a natural MF than a FF imo. His younger brother is a natural forward however.

His younger brother was the top scorer in the minors alright- but then again so was Tommy lol.

Donnacha is captain- you have to bear that in mind and you can't lead from the bench.

I'd agree with Galvin doing a lot of dirty work, and breaking ball but with Kennelly and Moran in midfield you'd have to ask how much is going to be broken down and scrappy. Plus the long ball to the forwards negates a lot of that. Galvin is a particular player to suit a particular style- he plays on the edge and I have no doubt that Jack likes this agressiveness but personally I'd drop him. Kerry played awesome against Galway last year and the new rules are really going to limit his effectiveness and style of play. We'll have to see how the vote goes at congress in a months time.

I'd agree Darren was class agains Tyrone but his breakaway point against Armagh was his finest day in a Kerry jersey to date.

Good luck with the FE1's- I've sat them myself- 8 in one go, in my opinion is nervous breakdown time.

I thought Darren O'Sullivan was captain??

The team that started the first half against Tyrone 2 weeks ago played some of the best football I've witnessed since the match V Galway last year in Croker. The fact that it was against Tyrone shows how the team can turn it on when they want to. Jack O'Connor is the reason for this. Regarding the match, why were we so comprehensive in the 1st half?
    1. Darren O'Sullivan although named at corner forward played at half forward and terrorised Tyrone with his runs.
    2. We controlled midfield, Scanlon & Moran won everything other won the breaks.
    3. Aidan O'Se although named at half back started full and had a mighty half hour
    4. The two man full forward line worked better than the twin towers approach of the final last year.

Bringing in Dara O'Se (as an impact sub), Tomas & Tadgh Kennelly not to mind Star, we are looking good for the coming season.

Looking forward to going to Bellaghy on Sunday, having in-laws in Donegal has its advantages!

His younger brother was the top scorer in the minors alright- but then again so was Tommy lol.

Donnacha is captain- you have to bear that in mind and you can't lead from the bench.

Er, Darran O'Sullivan is captain isn't he? :) And I don't have the figures but I would have thought Paddy Curran was top scorer with the 2006 minors?

• Advertisement

Darren O' Sullian is captain Mr. Incognito. And I would have to agree with Agus above in thinking that Paddy Curran was top scorer - I could be wrong though!

Also, Darren O' Sullivan's breakaway point against Armagh - was that not a breakaway goal? I remember he scored a goal to bury the game, I don't remember any point.

Darren hadn't a starting berth nailed down so he was named captain with Donnacha vice-captain.

That was a breakaway goal, typo there, I can still see him intercepting that pass and tearing down on the goal, pure class.

Can't find any info on the minor top scorers. I remember Barry John being the top scorer last year and I though Tommy was too, I remember he had a crazy amount of goals to his name anyway. Can anyone dig that out?

Darren hadn't a starting berth nailed down so he was named captain with Donnacha vice-captain.

Can't find any info on the minor top scorers. I remember Barry John being the top scorer last year and I though Tommy was too, I remember he had a crazy amount of goals to his name anyway. Can anyone dig that out?

But Donnacha hadn't a starting berth nailed either, and Darren was more likely to get one this year, therefore they named him captain. That's the reasoning behind it as far as I saw.

I remember Tommy scored a load of goals for the u-21s, but I can't find anything on the minors.

That was a breakaway goal, typo there, I can still see him intercepting that pass and tearing down on the goal, pure class.

Well this is what I got from a bit of research on hoganstand and I'm afraid your memory might be a little off....:D

http://www.hoganstand.com/general/results/2006/april.aspx
    Munster MFC v Tipperary
    Curran 1-2
    Walsh 0-0

Munster MFC v Limerick
    Curran 0-5
    Walsh 1-1

Munster MFC v Tipperary
    Curran 0-6
    Walsh 0-0

All-Ireland quarter v Mayo
    Curran 0-3
    Walsh 0-1

All-Ireland semi v Donegal
    Curran 1-6
    Walsh 0-1

All-Ireland final v Roscommon
    Curran 0-8
    Walsh 0-1

All-Ireland final replay v Roscommon
    Curran 0-4
    Walsh 0-2

Curran thus outscored Walsh in every game, with final total of
    Curran 2-34
    Walsh 1-6

So actually Curran scored 40 to Walsh's 9 and there was certainly no "crazy amount of goals" to Tommy's name!:D

To be fair to Tommy though he was playing more midfield than forward and wasn't the free-taker. Paddy Curran was a great talent thougjh...real pity he's been suffering from serious injuries, and he's likely to be out for the under-21s for the moment.

Thanks for that Agus. I though I saw Paddy Curran listed somewhere for the minors this year against Cork.....once again maybe I'm wrong! I knew he broke his leg/did himself some serious injury alright.

Frogdog wrote: »
    Thanks for that Agus. I though I saw Paddy Curran listed somewhere for the minors this year against Cork.....once again maybe I'm wrong! I knew he broke his leg/did himself some serious injury alright.

No he's way older than that. I think there's a Patrick Curran as well though who might be underage this year, but it's not the same guy...

No he's way older than that. I think there's a Patrick Curran as well though who might be underage this year, but it's not the same guy...

Sorry meant to say u-21's!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Wow Mr Incognito,that is some drive from Kerry to Derry.Send us a postcard.:D:D

There are six changes to the Kerry team to play Derry on Sunday next in Round 3 of The Allianz National Football League. Ger Reidy and Tommy Griffin are back as are Tom O'Sullivan, Michéal Quirke, Donnacha Walsh and Kieran Donaghy. Tomas Ó Sé, Mike Frank Russell and Tadhg Kennelly are also on the squad to travel to Derry.
    Aidan O'Shea, David Moran, Tommy Walsh, Kieran O'Leary and Killian Young are on duty with the Kerry U21 squad.
    Micheal Quirke, Tom O'Sullivan, Tomas Ó Sé, Mike Frank Russell and Kieran Donaghy don the Kerry jersey for the first time since the All Ireland Final. Tadhg Kennelly last appearance with Kerry was in the U21 All Ireland semi final V Galway in Ennis in 2002.

(1) Ger Reidy (Castleisland Desmonds)
    (2) Padraig Reidy (Scartaglin)
    (3) Aidan O'Mahony (Rathmore)
    (4) Tom O'Sullivan (Rathmore)
    (5) Tommy Griffin (Dingle)
    (6) Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht)
    (7) Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks)
    (8) Seamus Scanlon (Currow)
    (9) Michéal Quirke (Kerins O'Rahilly's)
    (10) Paul Galvin Finuge
    (11) Declan O'Sullivan Piarsaigh Na Dromada
    (12) Donnacha Walsh (Cromane)
    (13) Colm Cooper (Dr. Crokes)
    (14) Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks)
    (15) Darran O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) (Captain)

Fir Ionad:
    (16) Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle)
    (17) Anthony Maher (Duagh)
    (18) Maurice Corridan (Finuge)
    (19) Brian Moran (Kerins O'Rahilly's)
    (20) Kieran Quirke (Duagh)
    (21) Paul O'Connor (Kenmare)
    (22) Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht)
    (23) MF Russell (Laune Rangers)
    (24) Tadhg Kennelly (Listowel Emmett's)
    (25) Ronan O'Connor (Ronán Ó Concubhair) Ballyduff

Bainsteoir: Jack O'Connor (Piarsaigh Na Dromada)
    Traenálaí: Alan O'Sullivan (Kerins O'Rahilly's)
    Roghnóirí: Ger O'Keeffe (Austin Stacks) Eamon Fitzmaurice (Finuge)

Kerry GAA Web-Site

• Advertisement

That is waht I'd be inclined to call an "interesting" selection...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement