Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Flukey wrote: »
    5 All-Irelands and second best team of the decade. A good return for the noughties.

Im surprised with you really didnt think youd stoop so low.

Thought you were able to give an impartial view but that comment Makes me think less of you.

Disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Flukey wrote: »
    5 All-Irelands and second best team of the decade. A good return for the noughties.
    Are you honestly saying that Tyrone are the team of the decade?On a head to head basis then yes Tyrone beat us all three times(2003,2005,2008)but the fact is Kerry have won 5 All-Ireland titles while Tyrone have won 3!:cool:KERRY ARE THE TEAM OF THE DECADE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    Are you honestly saying that Tyrone are the team of the decade?On a head to head basis then yes Tyrone beat us all three times(2003,2005,2008)but the fact is Kerry have won 5 All-Ireland titles while Tyrone have won 3!:cool:KERRY ARE THE TEAM OF THE DECADE!!!

Its over now, we all know who got the (pointless) title of team of the decade, can we stop on about it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

RTE are reporting that Tommy Walsh and David Moran are on the verge of heading to Aussie Rules club St Kildas.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0930/walsh_moran.html

Anyone know if there's much truth to this?

Also does $25,000 AUS per year not seem such a great wage when you're heading off to the other side of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Probably read it by now but if you haven't, try to get your hands on Eamon Fitz's diary in the examiner for the week of the final. Excellent read. Goes through the thoughts of the managment team and other such stuff.

Its a bit too long to copy on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

careca wrote: »
    Probably read it by now but if you haven't, try to get your hands on Eamon Fitz's diary in the examiner for the week of the final. Excellent read. Goes through the thoughts of the managment team and other such stuff.

Its a bit too long to copy on here.

I presume this is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

DeepBlue wrote: »
    RTE are reporting that Tommy Walsh and David Moran are on the verge of heading to Aussie Rules club St Kildas.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0930/walsh_moran.html

Anyone know if there's much truth to this?

Also does $25,000 AUS per year not seem such a great wage when you're heading off to the other side of the world?

It would have to be alot more then that me thinks. Although if they were getting everything else for free like accom, food, car etc... then it wouldnt be too bad i suppose, but still sound a little small. But then again it might be a case of prove yourself first then you'll get good wages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Don't bother! Not worth responding to. His buddies mods so he can say whatever he likes whereever he likes. This would be an infraction for me or you.
    We all know the truth on the issue anyway
    36 and counting:D
    1995 was a long time ago:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Don't bother! Not worth responding to. His buddies mods so he can say whatever he likes whereever he likes.

No he cannot,not on here anyway.If he was to post something inflammatory/Trolling he'd get banned as quick as anybody else thank you very much.

blackbelt wrote: »
    No he cannot,not on here anyway.If he was to post something inflammatory/Trolling he'd get banned as quick as anybody else thank you very much.

So what he said was not trolling?
    If i went into the dublin thread the day after the 'startled earwigs' affair and said 'well done on another Leinster title but ye are ****e' it would not have been a problem then?

• Advertisement

So what he said was not trolling?
    If i went into the dublin thread the day after the 'startled earwigs' affair and said 'well done on another Leinster title but ye are ****e' it would not have been a problem then?

No because that would be your opinion and a pretty valid one at that.Flukeys opinion is Flukeys opinion.You can agree/disagree with him all you want but I don't believe his opinion to be trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Don't bother! Not worth responding to. His buddies mods so he can say whatever he likes whereever he likes. This would be an infraction for me or you.
    We all know the truth on the issue anyway
    36 and counting:D
    1995 was a long time ago:p

Tyrone are team of the decade. If Carlisle United were to win 3 Premier League titles to the 5 of Manchester United I'd say the same thing. Kerry are the Man U of Irish GAA and Tyrone won nothing before 2003.

Tyrone are team of the decade. If Carlisle United were to win 3 Premier League titles to the 5 of Manchester United I'd say the same thing. Kerry are the Man U of Irish GAA and Tyrone won nothing before 2003.

Here is a little formula for you.
    Decade = 10 year period.
    50% All Ireland Success
    80% All Ireland Finalists
    90% All Ireland Semi-Finalists
    Tyrone = Story of the decade
    Kerry = TEAM OF THE DECADE

If Kerry win 3 Liam Mccarthy cups in the next 10 years but Kilkenny win 5 and consistently challenge in the other years. Kerry will be story of the decade but Kilkenny will be team of the decade

No because that would be your opinion and a pretty valid one at that.Flukeys opinion is Flukeys opinion.You can agree/disagree with him all you want but I don't believe his opinion to be trolling.

It would be my opinion that the Kerry GAA discussion thread is not to place to air such an opinion and thus is trolling in my opinion.
    It was a statement and he did not say it was his opinion in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

If Kerry win 3 Liam Mccarthy cups in the next 10 years but Kilkenny win 5 and consistently challenge in the other years. Kerry will be story of the decade but Kilkenny will be team of the decade

Fair enough statement. But I suppose my bias for the underdog is what makes me believe Tyrone.

It would be my opinion that the Kerry GAA discussion thread is not to place to air such an opinion and thus is trolling in my opinion.
    It was a statement and he did not say it was his opinion in my opinion.

Hang on, in my opinion,the Kerry forum is a very relevent place to air an opinion such that but in your opinion,such an opinion on a Kerry forum is trolling??

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

Hang on, in my opinion,the Kerry forum is a very relevent place to air an opinion such that but in your opinion,such an opinion on a Kerry forum is trolling??

Just my opinion.

In fairness he must have known that coming onto the Kerry thread and saying that would only be stirring up controversy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Sigh, I guess that Flukey got what he wanted with his comment, a reaction. I would not consider it trolling either, but it was borderline, it was sly comment.

IMO Kerry are the team of the decade, they have won more all irelands and more trophies than everybody else. Tyrone have had a lot of success and fair play to them, people can big them up all they want, but it appears that some of the people that are doing it are being rather disingenuous as they do not want to give Kerry any credit for their achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Not sure if this was posted up here already:

September pilgrimage a fact of life for Kerry
    by Keith Duggan
    Irish Times - September 19th, 2009

Their team’s consistent excellence, that is now bordering on indecent, compels poor Kerry folk to undertake an annual exodus to Croke Park.

THE REST of us do not have the first clue about the complexities and difficulties that come with being from Kerry. I sometimes think we should pity them. The obligation the nation has placed on Kerry shoulders has become intolerable. After all, what sort of state would Gaelic football be in if were not for the clans from the Kingdom? If Kerry were not Kerry, would there be any point to the championship at all?

Yet again, a Kerry football team has qualified for the All-Ireland football final. As has been well-flagged, this will be their sixth appearance on the trot, a rate of consistent excellence that is bordering on indecent. If they keep up this behaviour, a generation of Irish children will grow up under the assumption that there is some kind of law decreeing that, no matter what happens, Kerry will be in the final.

It is all very well for those of us from other counties, who can look forward to their representative teams making it as far as September about once every 40 years or so. These weekends can literally become once-in-a-lifetime experiences. But for Kerry folks, it is very different. They don’t really have any choice in this.

This strange excellence with which they play Gaelic football has taken hold of them all and will not let them go.

Who knows how or why it started?

True, we can all blow on a bit about the singular beauty of Kerry – the lakes, the mist, the mountains, all those silver-tongued rogues, the creamy pints of plain, the endless golf courses etc. You always know a city man who has weekended in Kerry: he comes back talking like Robert Mitchum in Ryan’s Daughter and talks dreamily of turf fires and bowls of mussels, all that kind of stuff.

Kerry is a ridiculously famous patch of earth. The census will give the official verdict on the population of the county but we all know that that is just nonsense; in global terms, the Kerry population is just shy of that of China. The hoors are everywhere.

A recent survey in The Economist estimated that three-quarters of the world’s pubs are owned by Kerrymen. It is not widely known that world’s richest man, Warren Buffet, is descended from the Ballyferriter Buffets. It is not widely known because Kerry folks do not go on about these things. And anyhow, all accomplishments are measured in terms of football. How many medals does Warren Buffet have?

Offaly may be claiming Barrack Obama and Kerry people will concede that because they know whenever the US President eventually makes it to the Emerald Isle, the photograph that travels around the world will show him teeing off at the first in Ballybunion. Revenge for ’82 will be sweet. All famous people end up in Kerry, sooner or later.

But, at the end of the day, Kerry is just a place. There is no godly reason why Kildare or Waterford or Monaghan could not have emerged as the county that came to define itself through its football. Kerry men got there first. Years ago, before the foundation of the state, the great-grandfathers of the Kingdom got it into their heads that they would beat every other blasted county at this Irish big-ball game and they have been obsessed with the idea ever since.

The blame may well lie with the man who coined the nickname for Aeroplane O’Shea. When you invent a nickname that terrific – it is matched only by the flightier nicknames from the NYC basketball ghetto scene – you have an obligation to act as the moral guardian of the sport. So here are the Kerrymen, back for more.

I met a Kerryman on a train recently who told me, with a kind of sorrow in his voice, that he had taken the precaution of booking quarters in the same Dublin hotel for this weekend every year until 2025. The owner – Listowel to the last – had given him a decent rate. He figures it will be needed more often than not.

Beside him, his wife sighed deeply when asked if she was looking forward to this year’s final and gave the Irish reply usually reserved for Christmas: “I suppose I am. But at the same time, I’ll be glad when it’s all over.”

Deep down, many Kerry folks must feel like that. Of course, they feel pride at the aggregate accomplishment of their great teams down the decades and harbour particular affection for the current team.

But this business of appearing in All-Ireland after All-Ireland can take its toll as well. They say that all Kerry children can recite the names of All-Ireland-winning teams by the age of four. At five, they are kicking off either foot. By fifteen, they have become connoisseurs of their heritage and will fussily compare the vintages of ’62 and ’34 on the long journey up to Dublin.

Kerry folks know the city intimately because of their prowess at football. They could act as tour guides of the capital, if they so chose. They are masters at these September invasions. Any Kerry person who you meet will have a brother/sister/both living in Ranelagh. Many thousands more will have an uncle who owns a pub along the quays. They don’t so much as leave Kerry behind them as transport it up to the capital for the weekend.

If you stand outside the Palace Bar at seven o’clock this evening, you are only fooling yourself if you believe yourself to be standing in Dublin. Kerry folks are the truest home birds in the world, particularly after a few drinks. They arrive at Heuston station at three o’clock and by nine they are singing some teary ballad about a lost love in Glenflesk.

And they genuinely miss the place. They hate being away for too long. But when Kerry are in the All-Ireland – which is often – they have no choice.

On All-Ireland football Sundays, the city is peppered with Kerry greats. You hear them before you see them, all those All-Ireland medals chinking in their back pockets. You might see the Bomber strolling up Grafton Street or one of the Spillanes loafing around the gates of Trinity or O’Dwyer himself passing by in a blur on the motorway, devilish grin on his face and a whistle around his neck. (Never Maurice, though. Sightings of the Cahersiveen idol are rare enough to be considered an event).

It is an odd thing to think that, by 3.30pm tomorrow, there will be hundreds of Kerry All-Ireland medal winners spread around the stadium. There are enough of them to make up an entire town if they so chose, a gated community comprised exclusively of All-Ireland medal winners.

Soon, the present team will join them, bowing out one by one. This is a special final for the Kingdom. This is a special September.

Win or lose, though, Kerry are trapped by their own tradition of excellence and by our expectations that they live up to that excellence, year after year. Privately, as they gather underneath the Hogan Stand or wait in the freezing night in Killarney for another homecoming, the Kerry faithful might wonder when it is all going to end. They might wonder when they are going to get a quiet September.

Never, would appear to be the answer. Never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Just back from the Feale Rangers v Mid-Kerry game and Rangers looked strong although Mid-Kerry were very poor up front!The semi's are Dr.Crokes v Feale Rangers and Austin Stacks v South Kerry.I fancy Crokes to do it as they looked fierce hungry against St.Brendans(Especially Gooch who I think really wants to be captain next year).I'm tipping a Crokes v South Kerry final with Crokes victorious.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Just back from the Feale Rangers v Mid-Kerry game and Rangers looked strong although Mid-Kerry were very poor up front!The semi's are Dr.Crokes v Feale Rangers and Austin Stacks v South Kerry.I fancy Crokes to do it as they looked fierce hungry against St.Brendans(Especially Gooch who I think really wants to be captain next year).I'm tipping a Crokes v South Kerry final with Crokes victorious.;)

i fancy feale rangers. i wonder if galvin is privately drilling to be captain or indeed, what an honour for tadhg...

what was the feale rangers team please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sslazio11

i fancy feale rangers. i wonder if galvin is privately drilling to be captain or indeed, what an honour for tadhg...

what was the feale rangers team please?

FEALE RANGERS: S Quinn (Emmetts); P Corridan (Finuge), K Quirke (Duagh), J Mulvihill (Moyvane); J O’Brien (Duagh), D Griffin (Duagh), B McGuire (Emmetts); E Fitzmaurice (Finuge), A Maher (Duagh); M Corridan (Finuge), T Kennelly (Emmetts), P Galvin (Finuge); D Galvin (Emmetts), N Kennelly (Emmetts), P Curtin (Moyvane).

Subs: G McCarthy (Emmetts) for McGuire (43), B Scanlon (Emmetts) for D Galvin (45), M O’Connor (Duagh) for Curtin (54), B Whelan (St Senan’s) for Griffin (60).

I'd say Galvin is interested in only one thing, and that's a county title. They'll do well to beat Crokes the next day, should be a good match.

i was expecting that feale rangers team to be a bit stronger, 1/2 players on there that i didnt expect!

whats wrong with the likes of Guiney, Liam Keane and a few more like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ronanos

the darren o'sullivan interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcjsrf26gmA

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

ronanos wrote: »
    the darren o'sullivan interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcjsrf26gmA

BRILLIANT - Doubt if it will stay up on You Tube for long :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

manster wrote: »
    BRILLIANT - Doubt if it will stay up on You Tube for long :pac:
    Downloaded that as an MP3, was wondering for ages what all the fuss was about! :p

interview with Darren is superb

interview with Darren is superb

can somebody sum it up? i listened to the first minute of it yesterday and it was boring and normal so i stopped it. tried just there and its removed, so tell me please what its about!

can somebody sum it up? i listened to the first minute of it yesterday and it was boring and normal so i stopped it. tried just there and its removed, so tell me please what its about!

Its Darragh O Se and Donaghy takin the p*ss outta him.
    If I repeat the questions that they ask at the end- I will be banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

well then...
    2010 will be here soon and inter-county footie is back in feb.
    definitely no tadhg or tommy w.
    most likely no david moran or darragh.
    seems like jack has got to fill a number of positions in the league...

what thoughts on john kennedy getting the under-21's?
    or pat o'driscoll getting the minors?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement