Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nickyrash

The information is very help full to me i really admired the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

we defo wont be favourites next year. with our center forward and fulll forward gone, we have 2 spots to fill. Now, we won this year without Donaghy and also, Sheehan had little impact. They can filll those 2 gaps. Barry John can also stake a claim as can paul o connor. Then you have donnacha walsh and sean sullivan. our starting 15 wont be much weaker, but our bench will. i think moran wont get offered a contract over there and will be back in 2 weeks. darragh may retire, but he is not the same influence he was 3 years ago, so, with scanlon now the main man, we can cope.

we had 9 injuries in May and June this year, luckily we pulled through. with these 4 potentially departures, we may not this time..

as regards the u-21 and minors, think the correct calls were made. Kennedy, as much as i dont like him, has not done a bad job. he has been involved in about 6 munster titles and took the team to an all ireland final and replay. his record is not that bad.

I am excited about Pat and the Minors. he is a top top manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

agreed.
    it seems to me 2010 will be a year of opportunity for players to step up.
    there are places up for grabs.

as for the new managers, i wish them all the best and hope that we can get some exiting games next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

i think moran wont get offered a contract over there and will be back in 2 weeks.

David will almost certainly be offered a two year contract, if nothing else then to assist Tommy's bedding in process.

so, we all know who lie in wait in the squad -

Sheehan
    Star
    Barry John
    O Mahony
    Reidy
    Quirke
    O Shea
    O Connor
    Sean Ban

BUT, who are the lads who can make the step up and add fresh blood like tadhg and mike mac did this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

BUT, who are the lads who can make the step up and add fresh blood like tadhg and mike mac did this year.

We'll be looking at players like Padraig Reidy, Aiden O'Shea, Anthony Maher etc to make the breakthrough (or return) to first 15.

I imagine most of the panel will get a shot during the league.

Last year, Jack used all 6 subs in each league game.
    I'd expect him to do the same again this year.

But I take your point that there doesn't appear to be anyone of the calibre of Tommy of Tadhg to shine this year ... but, the great thing about footie is the unexpected...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

A kinda worrying thought struck me when considering Tommy Walsh and David Moran going off to OZ. If both or even just Tommy W stay out there/work out well, then what odds on Barry John Walsh and Brian Moran possibly heading out there at some stage?

Could potentially be a massive blow to Kerins O Rahillys down the line.

Anyone heard anything about Mike Mac possibly retiring/staying on?

He surely has to be somewhat at risk of re-retiring again given his age.

A kinda worrying thought struck me when considering Tommy Walsh and David Moran going off to OZ. If both or even just Tommy W stay out there/work out well, then what odds on Barry John Walsh and Brian Moran possibly heading out there at some stage?

Chances are they'll both go down there at some stage for some sort of time periods, but if you're asking whether they'll go and play Aussie Rules I'd say it's unlikely.

At Brian's age the chances of him being taken on by a club are fairly slim and for Barry John, while he's a fabulous footballer, I don't think he has the natural attributes Tommy has to be a big attraction to the Aussie clubs in terms of raw physicality.

As with all people their age though there's the possibility they'll head down on the WHV at some point.
    Could potentially be a massive blow to Kerins O Rahillys down the line.

Tbh we're already fcuked. We lost Pat Madden, who played two years at midfield for the Kerry minors some years ago, to Canada this year. We're losing Giles O'Grady to America soon as well.

Along with Tommy and David that's four players from our starting 15 - two county players and two extremely useful club players.

We're unlikely to challenge for anything for a number of years already - if anything now would be a good time for fellas to decide to travel.

keane2097 wrote: »
    At Brian's age the chances of him being taken on by a club are fairly slim and for Barry John, while he's a fabulous footballer, I don't think he has the natural attributes Tommy has to be a big attraction to the Aussie clubs in terms of raw physicality.

I thought Brian was younger than David? (not 100% on this) was thinking down the line a bit.

On Barry John while he doesnt have the raw physicality of Tommy he's still a fairly sizeable lad so I'd say he could have a shot at it. Would agree that he's a fabulous footballer too - remember my uncle saying a few years ago that he reckoned BJ was a better prospect than Tommy in terms of natural footballing ability.

I'd say with the recession and everything there's few enough clubs in Kerry who havent lost at least a player or two abroad. Shame really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I know that the thread title says football, but some Kerry people are still interested in hurling. Looks like John Meyler will be appointed Kerry hurling manager

I know that the thread title says football, but some Kerry people are still interested in hurling. Looks like John Meyler will be appointed Kerry hurling manager

Meyler is a great man. some passion for the job. am i right in saying he was in charge in 93 when they beat waterford?

every year i am hoping the kerry hurlers can make the break through, win a league and the CR championship, but they let me down every year. some promising happenings last year with the causeway victory and a few promising hurlers coming up.

I thought Brian was younger than David? (not 100% on this) was thinking down the line a bit.

This is incorrect. Brian is 23, David is 21.
    On Barry John while he doesnt have the raw physicality of Tommy he's still a fairly sizeable lad so I'd say he could have a shot at it. Would agree that he's a fabulous footballer too - remember my uncle saying a few years ago that he reckoned BJ was a better prospect than Tommy in terms of natural footballing ability.

I think Barry is not much over six feet tall. Physically he's not particularly outstanding and tbh I just don't see what attraction he'd have for Australian clubs over any number of guys.

He reminds me a lot of Dara O'Cinneide (only primarily left-legged) and so while he has enormous potential as a footballer I just don't think he's especially suited to the Australian game. Not to say he wouldn't be good at it, but they tend to take guys on who are exceptional physical specimens first and foremost - Tommy, Setanta O'Hailpin etc.

A lot of people would have made similar comments to your uncle over the years about the two brothers because I think Tommy was thought of as a guy whose phenomenal performances at underage level were due more to his size than anything else, while Barry John was seen as more of a skillful player. I can see the argument, but Tommy has become extremely skillful in his own right and Barry will have a lot to do to live up to those kind of statements in the future.

Here's hoping...
    I'd say with the recession and everything there's few enough clubs in Kerry who havent lost at least a player or two abroad. Shame really.

An awful shame yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Well paid for my season ticket there yesterday, bargain at 75 euro. Here's hoping for another successful year ahead.

This is incorrect. Brian is 23, David is 21.

Don't know where I got the notion that Brian was younger. 23 is probably too old to make the transition to Aussie Rules.
    I think Barry is not much over six feet tall.

Anyone know for sure what height he is?
    I'd have said 6'2 6'3 but a while since I've seen him and I wouldn't stand over that.
    Physically hay on there's not particularly outstanding and tbh I just don't see what attraction he'd have for Australian clubs over any number of guys.

He reminds me a lot of Dara O'Cinneide (only primarily left-legged) and so while he has enormous potential as a footballer I just don't think he's especially suited to the Australian game. Not to say he wouldn't be good at it, but they tend to take guys on who are exceptional physical specimens first and foremost - Tommy, Setanta O'Hailpin etc.

Yeah I can see what you're saying here but if Tommy works out, they might be tempted to have a punt on BJ to help Tommy stay on there.

A lot of people would have made similar comments to your uncle over the years about the two brothers because I think Tommy was thought of as a guy whose phenomenal performances at underage level were due more to his size than anything else, while Barry John was seen as more of a skillful player. I can see the argument, but Tommy has become extremely skillful in his own right and Barry will have a lot to do to live up to those kind of statements in the future.

Here's hoping...

Would agree with this - at underage Tommy could simply use his superior size and strength and could have fallen into the trap of relying solely on this. To his credit he has not done so and continued to develop his game.

Spa through to the Munster Football Intermediate Final :)

Won 2-15 to 1-6 against Carrick Swans.

Sounded like Spa were too strong for Carrick who weren't helped by a slow start and having a man sent off in the first half.

Stam with 2-5 showing his class.

who ever wins the club titles in kerry at inter and junior, are pretty much guaranteed to be munster winners and all ireland finalists. its happened pretty much every year in both competitions since it was set up.

best of luck to spa.

who ever wins the club titles in kerry at inter and junior, are pretty much guaranteed to be munster winners and all ireland finalists. its happened pretty much every year in both competitions since it was set up.

best of luck to spa.

Probably as a function of how strong the game is in the country.

Intermediate in Cork would be pretty decent too I'd imagine.

Don't think Spa will be taking them lightly the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭helpisontheway

I have no official source but Mike McCarthy is definetly retiring from Inter County football and will not be rejoining the Kerry panel for 2009/2010.:(

aint heard that. nothing on the kerry forum either.

good win for o rahillys yesterday, would be nice to see them win munster and indeed, go all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

difficult to see them getting past kilmurry from clare
    kilmurry have some real class players
    play beautiful free-flowing football
    and all their forwards can score from play with relative ease

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

conno16 wrote: »
    difficult to see them getting past kilmurry from clare
    kilmurry have some real class players
    play beautiful free-flowing football
    and all their forwards can score from play with relative ease

Don't know about that , Stradbally despite being short their best two players could well have won yesterday if they had converted their penalty or their two on one on the keeper . You'd have to think Rahilly's would be definite favourites with match winners like Barry John , Quill and big Micheal Quirke in their ranks . I know the game against Moyle Rovers went down to the wire - but they are no slouches when they get out of Tipp .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭helpisontheway

aint heard that. nothing on the kerry forum either.

good win for o rahillys yesterday, would be nice to see them win munster and indeed, go all the way.

Herself is a Kerry Football fanatic[goes to practically every game even the freezing cold & wet league games] and she was talking to him at her workplace and he came straight out and told her;she was distraught.:o
    Well done Rahillys!
    Is David still only on trial in Australia or is he definetly staying?

tatoo wrote: »
    Don't know about that , Stradbally despite being short their best two players could well have won yesterday if they had converted their penalty or their two on one on the keeper . You'd have to think Rahilly's would be definite favourites with match winners like Barry John , Quill and big Micheal Quirke in their ranks . I know the game against Moyle Rovers went down to the wire - but they are no slouches when they get out of Tipp .

Conditions were awful for the Strand Road game as well.

Conditions were awful for the Strand Road game as well.

Any word on Brian Moran ?

Any word on Brian Moran ?

Regarding what? He was solid as always in performance terms if that's what you mean...

Regarding what? He was solid as always in performance terms if that's what you mean...

Regarding he going off injured with five to go , I heard he looked to be in a bit of pain ?

Regarding he going off injured with five to go , I heard he looked to be in a bit of pain ?

Oh right sorry, I haven't had any update on that - I'll find out...

Nothing concrete, but word is it's a bad enough injury...

• Advertisement

jaysys, nothing is going to be easy for them to win it! if they had their full team out, i think they would have a great chance of appearing on paddys day on jones road.

will moran be back soon from aus or is their any word on that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement