Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

mystic86 wrote: »
    anyone know?

I doubt they specified anyone but I suppose Barry John finished up as captain since he's the only other player from town on the pitch at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

Would nearly have Geaney and Keane ahead of Donoghue to start at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

thesultan wrote: »
    Would nearly have Geaney and Keane ahead of Donoghue to start at this stage.

Not a hope of that happening,

O Donoghue offers more then the two of them,he can go out the field and get on the ball and he can also spot a pass,he might not be scoring as much as last year but he is still offering a lot to the team,

Geaney should start the final but Keane is at his best coming on as a sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

It's crazy how Geaney or Barry John could be pushing for All Stars, were they playing/starting more regularly - and I do believe that - what two players have been as good as those guys coming off the bench & starting this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

how many all starts will we get at this moment?

Enright, Moran, Maher, JOD, Walsh all in the running anyway.

• Advertisement

James is having a savage year IMO. His change of style since the final last year just shows what a ridiculous player he is.

29 possessions against one of the best defensive set ups in the country on Sunday, in horrorshow weather and being tracked by their best marker all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

how many all starts will we get at this moment?

Enright, Moran, Maher, JOD, Walsh all in the running anyway.

Kealy probably. His knockouts have me tearing my hair out, but he's made some spectacular saves since the Cork game.

O'Brien is in with a shout if he has a good final. Another good game on Sunday. Having said that there is no guarantee that he starts the Final either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Paul Murphy surely in with a shout for an All Star? Been at the centre of everything in every game, flying into tackles when needed and clearing up all the dirty ball. Had at least two goal saving interceptions in the Cork replay too.

one thing that Fitzy needs to work on for the final is having a solid unit at the back as opposed to going man to man, and following men everywhere. it left us wide open.

for instance, Crowley picked up Cavanagh (and did a great job on him) but this left the center wide open as the Tyrone half forwards were dropping back, then we got turned over and they countered.

3 of their goal chances were counter attacks from our mistakes/bad passes. cant do that against Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

dobman88 wrote: »
    Paul Murphy surely in with a shout for an All Star? Been at the centre of everything in every game, flying into tackles when needed and clearing up all the dirty ball. Had at least two goal saving interceptions in the Cork replay too.

Much and all as I like him, I thought he had one of his worst games on Sunday. His man was short listed for motm on the Sunday game and he gave away a bad pass (although Maher should have handled it better) that led to the penalty. Tomas made a good point on Sunday night, both Murphy and Young gave away two bad passes when there was a much easier option available both times. We were 4/5 points up at the time and were cantering. Just sloppy play.

Of course it was obvious that Murphy would have a bad game (imo) as he was featured in 2 Sunday papers before the match - proper jinx :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Thought he was really impressive in how he not only defended strongly, but bust a gut to get forwards and provide an overlap when the ball inside wasn't on - which was for large chunks of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

We'll have Kealy, Enright, Murphy, Moran, Walsh and JO'D gunning for all-stars this year. Perhaps Lyne too if we win it out. Moran will 100% get POTY if we win this year. I've also been meaning to ask why Moran was taken off the last day? He got on an outrageous amount of ball, everything went through him and he must have made 15+ accurate kick-passes. He's really the Pirlo of our team at this stage. I can't believe people are saying he wasn't at the races! :pac:

FatRat wrote: »
    We'll have Kealy, Enright, Murphy, Moran, Walsh and JO'D gunning for all-stars this year. Perhaps Lyne too if we win it out. Moran will 100% get POTY if we win this year. I've also been meaning to ask why Moran was taken off the last day? He got on an outrageous amount of ball, everything went through him and he must have made 15+ accurate kick-passes. He's really the Pirlo of our team at this stage. I can't believe people are saying he wasn't at the races! :pac:

Slight hamstring strain apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Never mind the feckin All-Stars, tis the AI medal these lads want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Never mind the feckin All-Stars, tis the AI medal these lads want

exactly, people getting carried away, eye on the prize lads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

FatRat wrote: »

Saw a tweet from someone who watched the game back that Lyne covered an amount of ground and got through a lot of worj tracking Harte (who was very quiet) on Sunday.

No point trying to consider possible All-Stars now as a huge amount depends on the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

I'm a shell of a man since the weekend..

We got the result we wanted, but Christ there was a bit of sweating done for the last 10 mins!

Forget about Allstars lads, dangerous even talking about that stuff.

Loads of thoughts about the game, but as everyone knows we need to shore up the 6 channel in defence. It wasn't Crowley's fault Sunday - he had Seán Cav and did his job fairly well. I don't know what the plan was (Fitz surely knew Tyrone would run hard up the middle) but if it was for Young/Murphy/Lyne/Maher to cover that channel, then they failed to do it well enough.
    Lyne I will excuse to a degree as I thought he had a good game and nullified Peter Harte. He gave away 1 bad turnover, but was very good apart from that.
    Maher did a lot of work and Donnelly did very little also. Lot of people afterwards seemed to be raving about Maher, but to me he was ok, no more. He lost the ball far too easily for the lead up to the penalty. Did kick that great score later on though.
    Murphy was (for the 3rd or 4th time this year) good from an attacking sense but not so good from a defensive aspect. He doesn't fully commit to the tackle on occasion and get's slipped past. His awful decision to give a 40 yard cross-field ball to Maher for the Tyrone penalty move, has already been highlighted. Crazy, needless decision. He did some good things to be fair to him and always presented himself as an option for the "out ball" when we were probing the blanket.
    Young was a major disappointment to me on Sunday. Was turned over due to being too loose on ball on a number of occasions and kicked away quite a few balls aswell. He let Kavanagh ghost past him far too easily for the lead up to Bradley's equaliser with 8 to go. A big improvement needed. We know he has it in him. Last year's replay in Limerick and the final are 2 of the best games I've seen him play.
    Enright was ok, not as good as his other games, but McCurry only got 3 scoring chances from what I recall, took 2 of them. For 1 Shane slipped, giving McCurry a completely free shot. It was a decent job by him consdering he (and Moran) were both injured last week in training.

I'll have to watch all this years games back again, but crazy as it may seem coming into a final (and considering his god save on Sunday) I would consider changing the keeper for the final. Kealy was at fault in part for at least 5 points on Sunday. Repeatedly, he ignored 2 or 3 easy short options and went long, which given Tyrone's system and the conditions (where even with good fielders, a clean catch is less likely) was quite idiotic in my view.
    In the final, kickouts are going to be hugely important and Kealy is still far too inconsistent with his kickouts. In every single game he kicks the ball over the sideline at least twice for example. It's poor for this level. Fitz is a genius and has done an unbelievable job with this team, but I don't really know why he jettisoned Kelly in favour as Kealy and I disagree (based on the evidence) with this call. I can't see him changing now though.

Anyway, 2 Kerry teams in final again. Minors will probably face a very good Kildare team. Will be interesting.
    I hope Dublin beat Mayo. A Kerry v Mayo final just doesn't have the same buzz. That being said, if it is Mayo, we'd probably be a bit more confident? All ahead of us anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

Repeatedly, he [Kealy] ignored 2 or 3 easy short options and went long, which given Tyrone's system and the conditions (where even with good fielders, a clean catch is less likely) was quite idiotic in my view.

This really pissed me off because twice he kicked short and with one hand pass to Paul Murphy we were on half way with possession.

However, that is not down to Kealy alone. The other players and management should have realised what was going on: it can't be just down to the goalkeeper.

The lads on the wings should have been screaming for the ball --- they were left free pretty much on the 45 numerous times.

you probably will see that Mayo people ahve booked the place out in dublin and will cancel if they lose on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

you probably will see that Mayo people ahve booked the place out in dublin and will cancel if they lose on Sunday.

Who'll be favourite there? The Dubs?

What do people make of JOD post match interview? Obviously it was tongue in cheek and playing up to the fans with the "We're champions and want to be known for beating everyone" line but I can't help thinking he'll get crucified for it by fans and media if they go on to play and lose to Dublin. Beat Mayo last year obviously. And I think it was more aimed at the fact they beat Tyrone than anything else.

What's the general consensus or am I reading too much into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

What do people make of JOD post match interview? Obviously it was tongue in cheek and playing up to the fans with the "We're champions and want to be known for beating everyone" line but I can't help thinking he'll get crucified for it by fans and media if they go on to play and lose to Dublin. Beat Mayo last year obviously. And I think it was more aimed at the fact they beat Tyrone than anything else.

He should have said "Yerra we're useless & Dublin or Mayo will bate us by 10 points".:rolleyes:

You are reading too much into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

He basically said we want to beat everyone not we will beat everyone.

I thought what JOD said was breath of fresh air to the usual post match interviews,he was having a laugh as he always seems to do when on camera

Anyway there hasn't been much said about,Mr Brolly once again stole the headlines

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

I thought what JOD said was breath of fresh air to the usual post match interviews,he was having a laugh as he always seems to do when on camera

Spot on there, I thought it was a great interview, great character.

Anyway there hasn't been much said about,Mr Brolly once again stole the headlines

Yeah I was thinking the same tbh. He started smiling straight away after each answer. Was just wondering what other people thought of it.

Darragh's piece in the Times today,interesting exchange between Brolly and Canavan

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/darragh-%C3%B3-s%C3%A9-cluxton-can-ensure-dublin-end-mayo-s-hopes-1.2328490

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Darragh's piece in the Times today,interesting exchange between Brolly and Canavan

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/darragh-%C3%B3-s%C3%A9-cluxton-can-ensure-dublin-end-mayo-s-hopes-1.2328490

What else was to be expected after what Brolly said about Canavan in the Sindo..................Brolly was lucky Canavan didn't run into his elbow and go down holding his head hoping the stewards would throw Brolly out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement