Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

BPKS wrote: »
    What else was to be expected after what Brolly said about Canavan in the Sindo..................Brolly was lucky Canavan didn't run into his elbow and go down holding his head hoping the stewards would throw Brolly out.

what did he say?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

mystic86 wrote: »
    what did he say?

It was Canavan what started all the diving :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Good reads!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Looking at the stats today in the Kerrys Eye

Individual Possessions

Walsh 32
    JOD 29
    Moran 28
    Murphy 28
    Maher 25

JOD also got four assists along with the four points he got from placed balls,not a bad days work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Looking at the stats today in the Kerrys Eye

Individual Possessions

Walsh 32
    JOD 29
    Moran 28
    Murphy 28
    Maher 25

JOD also got four assists along with the four points he got from placed balls,not a bad days work.

ya i thought he was super. if you said this time last year wed win a final without him scoring and get to another without him scoring from play, people would be calling the men in white coats.

its amazing how adaptable his game is.

have to laugh also how people said David Moran wasnt effective. almost the most touches on the pitch and was only on the field for 55 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

Radio5 wrote:
    Just heard the end of Sunday Sport and Gary mentioned that he is away for the next few weeks. I wonder who'll be doing commentary on the matches next Sunday then?

Great decision by Radio Kerry to get Timmy Moynihan to commentate on the senior game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

have to laugh also how people said David Moran wasnt effective. almost the most touches on the pitch and was only on the field for 55 mins.

He is having a great season but Sun wasn't his best game (I seem to be saying that about a lot of them :)). While he got his hands on the ball a lot he didn't really do much with it (I accept the blanket defence didn't help). A lot of his passes were sideways and he was caught in possession at least 2 if not 3 times. The only long pass I remember him making was in the very first min (to Don) and that was won by Tyrone. A bit like James though, he didn't shy away from it at any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Just seen the new fixture list from the county board, looks like another year of club football heading for December, and in the case of the NK championship probably January. Round 10 of the county league on the 26th of September and no date fixed for rd 11

wonga77 wrote: »
    Just seen the new fixture list from the county board, looks like another year of club football heading for December, and in the case of the NK championship probably January. Round 10 of the county league on the 26th of September and no date fixed for rd 11

Always happens,club players well used to it now at this stage

Somewhere down the line during the summer they will have to start playing mid week County League games,they do it other counties so cant see why they cant do it in Kerry as well.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know, I just wish the county players werent wrapped in cotton wool and a few more games were played in the summer. Killkenny players had county league the week after beating Waterford, Its an age old arguement but there are lots of teams in the county championship that have only played 1 round so far, surely theres some way around that

Yeah I know, I just wish the county players werent wrapped in cotton wool and a few more games were played in the summer. Killkenny players had county league the week after beating Waterford, Its an age old arguement but there are lots of teams in the county championship that have only played 1 round so far, surely theres some way around that

As long as we are successful they won't change and I fail to see why they should. Donegal wanted their system changed to mirror ours as it gives the county team a better chance. All it takes is for JOD or Richie Hogan in KK to get injured and there would be an uproar. I know they can get injured in training but there is a far better chance in a competitive championship match where some local lad wants to make himself a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

careca wrote: »
    As long as we are successful they won't change and I fail to see why they should.. All it takes is for JOD or Richie Hogan in KK to get injured and there would be an uproar. I know they can get injured in training but there is a far better chance in a competitive championship match where some local lad wants to make himself a hero.

Thats utter horse sh1t ,Players should be left play with there clubs up to 13 days before inter county games

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Thats utter horse sh1t ,Players should be left play with there clubs up to 13 days before inter county games

LOL. Up to 13. And what about after big matches. You happy enough for all the Kerry lads to play a Championship match on the Wed night after an AI semi final, or does it wait a full 7 days. Whether you like it or not (and I acknowledge it is very hard or club players) it works for Kerry and has done for some time.

Our club has a player on the minor panel, so far this year he has played 1 club championship match (which we were knocked out in the first round) and 2 and a half county league games. I would say at a rough estimation he has featured for about 20 - 30 minutes max for the kerry minors. The same goes for lots of other clubs with both minor and senior players, its a system that definately needs tweaking

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Our club has a player on the minor panel, so far this year he has played 1 club championship match (which we were knocked out in the first round) and 2 and a half county league games. I would say at a rough estimation he has featured for about 20 - 30 minutes max for the kerry minors. The same goes for lots of other clubs with both minor and senior players, its a system that definately needs tweaking
    I don't mind a minor player not featuring much for his senior team - when not involved with the minor county setup, the main focus should be with the club minor team - which is why I'm sure he's missing out on Senior obligations

Yeah but our club is working with a panel of about 18 or so players, a lad talented enough to be on the minor squad and not featuring for the club senior team is sickening, especially when you know he would make a big difference to us. Funnily enough he has played a few games for the club minor (amalgamated team) maybe thats down to the timing of their games as opposed to county league games, I cant be sure, but you get my drift anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Yeah but our club is working with a panel of about 18 or so players, a lad talented enough to be on the minor squad and not featuring for the club senior team is sickening, especially when you know he would make a big difference to us. Funnily enough he has played a few games for the club minor (amalgamated team) maybe thats down to the timing of their games as opposed to county league games, I cant be sure, but you get my drift anyway
    That's understandable, a player like that could prove the difference, you'd need to be starting on your senior team at 17 to be looking to get on the minor panel really but even then, from a physical point of view, young fellas are more prone to getting a dart that would cause an injury at senior level than minor where they'd most like be dominant physically - it's the smarter move to protect minor players from senior games, albeit at the cost of the clubs senior team. If it's just for one year then it would need to be looked at as short term loss for long term gain, although there's plenty of county minors who don't deliver on their promise after finding alcohol :pac:

The biggest problem is the structure of the fixtures for the clubs,I have no problem with a guy on the Inter County team to be grounded for county league games its just the nature of the beast.

If this calender was implemented it with run far more smoothly

Mar-22 Co.Lge Rd.1
    Mar-29 Allianz Lge
    Apr-05 Bank Holiday Weekend
    Apr-12 Co.Lge Rd.2
    Apr-19 FREE WEEKEND
    Apr-26 Co.Lge Rd.3
    May-03 FREE WEEKEND - Bank Holiday Weekend
    May-10 Club Champ Rd.1
    May-17 Co.Lge Rd.4
    May-24 Co.Champ Rd.1
    May-31 FREE WEEKEND - Bank Holiday Weekend
    Jun-07 Co.Lge Rd.5
    Jun-14 FREE WEEKEND - Kerry v Tipp
    Jun-21 Club Champ QF
    Jun-28 Co.Lge Rd.6
    Jul-05 FREE WEEKEND - Kerry v Cork
    Jul-12 Co.Lge Rd.7
    Jul-19 FREE WEEKEND - Kerry v Cork
    Jul-26 Co.Lge Rd.8
    Aug-02 FREE WEEKEND - Kerry v Kildare
    Aug-09 Co.Lge Rd.9
    Aug-16 FREE WEEKEND
    Aug-23 FREE WEEKEND - Kerry v Tyrone
    Aug-30 Co.Lge Rd.10
    Sep-06 FREE WEEKEND
    Sep-13 Co.Lge Rd.11
    Sep-20 FREE WEEKEND - All Ireland Final
    Sep-27 Co.Champ QF
    Oct-04 Club Champ Semi
    Oct-11 Co.Champ Semi
    Oct-18 Club Champ Final
    Oct-25 Co.Champ Final
    Nov-01
    Nov-08
    Nov-15 Munster Club

It gives players a regular programme of games with defined Free Weekends for holidays etc.. I would also give inter county players the oppurtunity to play the first 4 games of the league before focusing on Kerry.

In July & August there could be an oppurtunity to play midweek games if there was back games to be played

D'Agger wrote: »
    That's understandable, a player like that could prove the difference, you'd need to be starting on your senior team at 17 to be looking to get on the minor panel really but even then, from a physical point of view, young fellas are more prone to getting a dart that would cause an injury at senior level than minor where they'd most like be dominant physically - it's the smarter move to protect minor players from senior games, albeit at the cost of the clubs senior team. If it's just for one year then it would need to be looked at as short term loss for long term gain, although there's plenty of county minors who don't deliver on their promise after finding alcohol :pac:

I would be in favour of changing the age grades to U-11,13,15 & minor being 17 with no minor allowed play Senior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

careca wrote: »
    He is having a great season but Sun wasn't his best game (I seem to be saying that about a lot of them :)). While he got his hands on the ball a lot he didn't really do much with it (I accept the blanket defence didn't help). A lot of his passes were sideways and he was caught in possession at least 2 if not 3 times. The only long pass I remember him making was in the very first min (to Don) and that was won by Tyrone. A bit like James though, he didn't shy away from it at any stage.

By many accounts he was injured. There was a rumour before the game that he was out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

I would be in favour of changing the age grades to U-11,13,15 & minor being 17 with no minor allowed play Senior

in theory I would agree, but the reality is you would effectively extinguish a large number of small rural clubs who would simply not be able to field a team, let alone a competitive one.

danganabu wrote: »
    in theory I would agree, but the reality is you would effectively extinguish a large number of small rural clubs who would simply not be able to field a team, let alone a competitive one.

You must be 17 to play senior football anyway..It would not make a difference.Just lower the workload of lads that are playing with multiple teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

You must be 17 to play senior football anyway..It would not make a difference.Just lower the workload of lads that are playing with multiple teams

You can play senior at 16. How would not being able to play minors not make any difference?

danganabu wrote: »
    You can play senior at 16. How would not being able to play minors not make any difference?

No you can't - Motion 50 that was passed at this years congress

(50)
    That Rule 6.16 - Official Guide Part 1 – Age Grades (page 83) in respect of Adult and Under 21 Grades be amended to read as follows:
    Adult
    Club - be over 17 years
    Inter-County - be over 18 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Do we?

My half of the amalgamation has anyway, your's doesnt :P

Best of luck to the Kerry ladies today against Cork,

Louise Galvin is back on the panel,she has been busy playing 7s Rugby with Ireland.

1 EDEL MURPHY – LAUNE RANGERS

2 GINA CROWLEY – INBHEAR SCEINE GAELS
    3 AISLINN DESMOND – RATHMORE
    4 AISLING LEONARD – CASTLEISLAND DESMONDS

5 CAROLINE KELLY – SOUTHERN GAELS
    6 CAIT LYNCH – CASTLEISLAND DESMONDS
    7 MARIA QUIRKE – NA GAEIL

8 BERNIE BREEN – LAUNE RANGERS
    9 LORRAINE SCANLON – CASTLEISLAND DESMONDS

10 EMMA SHERWOOD – FIRIES
    11 SARAH HOULIHAN – LAUNE RANGERS
    12 DENISE HALLISSEY – INBHEAR SCEINE GAELS

13 PATRICE DENNEHY – LAUNE RANGERS
    14 MEGAN O CONNELL – SOUTHERN GAELS
    15 LOUISE NI MHUIRCHEARTAIGH – CORCHA DHUIBHNE

SUBSITUTES
    16 LAURA FITZGERALD – NA GAEIL
    17 LAURA ROGERS – AUSTIN STACKS
    18 CASSANDRA BUCKLEY – SPA
    19 AMANDA BROSNAN – DR.CROKES
    20 AISLING O CONNELL – SCARTAGLIN
    21 EILISH O CONNOR – NA GAEIL
    22 BRID O CONNOR – NA GAEIL
    23 ANDREA MURPHY – CASTLEISLAND DESMONDS
    24 BERNIE CRONIN – SOUTHERN GAELS
    25 LINDA CRONIN – SOUTHERN GAELS
    26 RHEANNE O SHEA – DR.CROKES
    27 DEIRDRE KEARNEY – NA GAEIL
    28 JANE LYNCH – CASTLEISLAND DESMONDS
    29 LEANNE MANGAN – CASTLEISLAND DESMONDS
    30 LOUISE GALVIN – FINUGE ST.SENANS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Kerry ladies not doing too bad against Cork. Down by 4 points at half time. One goal was a bad mistake by the keeper with a short kick out. The other was a sick finish from Valerie Mulcahy. Overall doing ok though.

Aislinn Desmond doing well for us at the back and number 11 who I don't know playing well. Kicked two fine points late in the half.

Just cut out the mistakes at the back and they'd be flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Was vital to get the last two points before the break, just one goal and they'll be right in contention.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement