Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I think their argument happened around the time Philly McMahon scored a point off Gooch.

It was obvious something had to be done about that situation, having Gooch tracking McMahon and effectively having their roles reversed was farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

And again on 41 minutes. Murphy says something to Fitz. And he just says No. Murphy looks perplexed and sits back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DDC1990 wrote:
    A few retirement. Rebuild and go again for 2016

Was thinking the same, some deadwood in squad, but some great players too. The minors were great.

Hard luck today , I shook many hands after the game, good people, on the cussack.

I've always maintained since 1992 that there is no loss worse then when the line gets it badly wrong.

You'll be back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

At least the comments here aren't as negative as over on the Kerry Gaa forum. Like everyone else I'm gutted,I was at that horrible match and am not long home.And like everyone else I've no complaints about the result and hail the dubs as the better team and worthy champs tonight. So congrats Dublin!

But does that suddenly make us a bad team? Does that nullify all the recent achievements? Of course not. Silly comments like if Dublin hadn't lost to Donegal in last year's semi they'd be celebrating 3 in a row now annoy the hell out of me! The team of the noughties was arguably a more talented Kerry team,yet were constantly derailed by the Tyrone juggernaut. **** happens. Kerry were poor today but could be champs again next year.Sport is like life,you just never know.

All in all there are loads of positives:
    1. The team in transition bounced back last year to win Kerry's 37th All Ireland.
    2. The team in transition got to two finals in a row.
    3. We still have 37 All Ireland's,way ahead of even closest rivals Dublin.
    4. We've played in 11 finals this century,what other team has done that?
    5. Winning 6 and losing 5,gives us about 60% success,again way ahead of the posse when you count their lack of consistent final appearances.
    6. Our minors have just done a two in a row,today's win was spectacular so the future looks bright.
    7. We have great managers in JOC and Fitz. Fitz got it wrong today but he will learn from that.
    8. Kerry will come back and win the next final they play because that's what Kerry do.
    So chin up,folks. The sun will come out for us again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

The idea that the game was lost on the line doesn't wash with me.

The players underperformed.

Tactically we outfitted Cluxton, shut down Brogan and Connolly, kept it defensively tight (we only conceded 12 points).

But our forwards failed to break down the Dublin defence. We lost our individual matchup and Dublin were sharper and hungrier on the day.

Nothing Eamonn can do with Buckley putting it wide from 5 yards, with Young fumbling, wqith the non penalty call etc.

Would I have made different calls? Certainly. I'd have had Tommy and Donaghy both in the FF line together. Would it have worked? On the day probably not.

I hope Fitzmaurice stays on. 2 championship defeats in 3 years to the All Ireland champions and undoubtedly the team of the decade is no poor record.

Sometimes you just have to accept defeat from a superior team. We'll be back next year to have another cut off them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

DDC1990 wrote: »

The players underperformed.

Tactically we outfitted Cluxton, shut down Brogan and Connolly, kept it defensively tight (we only conceded 12 points).

But our forwards failed to break down the Dublin defence. We lost our individual matchup and Dublin were sharper and hungrier on the day.

Nothing Eamonn can do with Buckley putting it wide from 5 yards, with Young fumbling, wqith the non penalty call etc.

Would I have made different calls? Certainly. I'd have had Tommy and Donaghy both in the FF line together. Would it have worked? On the day probably not.

I hope Fitzmaurice stays on. 2 championship defeats in 3 years to the All Ireland champions and undoubtedly the team of the decade is no poor record.

Sometimes you just have to accept defeat from a superior team. We'll be back next year to have another cut off them.

I don't think its fully appreciated how hard it is to go back to back. There's always a drop in standards from one year to the next.

I was full sure Dublin were going to win not because I thought they were greatly superior but because I suspected Kerry just wouldn't match them in application. Turned out that way for nearly every player. I agree Fitzmaurice can't help the players with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Le Henry wrote: »
    Hard luck to kerry.. Once the weather conditions came apparent I thought kerry with the better players and especially better forwards would win the final .. I just cannot understand the amount of times Kerry lost possession to unforced errors .. It was unreal.. Marc o se n colm Cooper great players for kerry & servants to GAA but lost 5 All Ireland's, always be an asterisks besides their names now!.

Is this not a complete myth?
    Dublin have easily the better forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Stoner wrote: »
    Was thinking the same, some deadwood in squad, but some great players too. The minors were great.

Hard luck today , I shook many hands after the game, good people, on the cussack.

I've always maintained since 1992 that there is no loss worse then when the line gets it badly wrong.

You'll be back soon.

There is. When the line getting it wrong costs you the game. I'm not sure any formation or tactics yesterday would have resulted in Kerry beating Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Four bad kick outs by Cluxton in the first half,we didn't get one score from any of them mistakes,kicked some bad wides in the first half,missed that goal chance at the end,all ifs and buts

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

dont even know where to start with that yesterday, terrible game and poor kerry performance and we still only lost by 3 points.

why on earth was JOD taken off and Gooch left on, ill never know. damage was done in last 10 mins of first half, thats when Dublin won the All Ireland.

how many wides did both sides have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

image.png

DDC1990 wrote:
    Do you not think the bench could have had some fresher options? Hungry lads rather than lads with lots of titles who have achieved more than most players.

What was the point of Galvin coming back, or having to come on and that being his last game for Kerry?

Surely bringing a 36 year-old out of retirement said something about the lack of confidence in youth. Kerry have lots of experienced players already, they were champions. I don't get it.

I don't know what could have happened yesterday with different decision making, but there was a lack of hunger with the Kerry lads.

Some of the expressions on the Kerry lads at the end of the game were different to 2011 and 2013, some looked lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Fionn Fitz was muscled off it far too easy by Andrews, not just once but a few times, management should have been faster to make a change there. Having one of the greatest forwards ever to wear a kerry jersey playing like a sweeper was amazing. I can understand for a short while if he was being pulled back but it was obvious to everyone what was going on, Cooper had little or no impact on the game as he was too far from goal to do what he does best, score or set up scores.
    Donaghy being brought in changed things but who was there to profit? Our best scorers Jod and Geaney were on the bench by then, at one stage close to the end Donaghy won a poor kick from Cluxton but when he looked for options there were none, the ball ended up going 40 yards back out the field away from goal. Incredibly frustrating.
    Leaving Murphy out, bringing on Galvin there were a fair few odd decisions tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

wonga77 wrote: »
    Fionn Fitz was muscled off it far too easy by Andrews, not just once but a few times, management should have been faster to make a change there. Having one of the greatest forwards ever to wear a kerry jersey playing like a sweeper was amazing. I can understand for a short while if he was being pulled back but it was obvious to everyone what was going on, Cooper had little or no impact on the game as he was too far from goal to do what he does best, score or set up scores.
    Donaghy being brought in changed things but who was there to profit? Our best scorers Jod and Geaney were on the bench by then, at one stage close to the end Donaghy won a poor kick from Cluxton but when he looked for options there were none, the ball ended up going 40 yards back out the field away from goal. Incredibly frustrating.
    Leaving Murphy out, bringing on Galvin there were a fair few odd decisions tbf

Tbf there were plenty of opportunities for Gooch to take on his man closer to goal but he just didn't. Shied away, turned back and recycled possession.

I remember the 2011 game where he dummied McMahon, made him look foolish and lobbed the ball over the bar. Yesterday he had zero confidence in beating him. Not sure how effective a forward who is unable/unwilling to take on a defender would be closer to goal. Just not the same player unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pinesky

mcmahon on newstalk around 1.25 to deny "deliberately "" gouging donaghy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Pinesky wrote: »
    mcmahon on newstalk around 1.25 to deny "deliberately "" gouging donaghy

He's already been on radio today with Marty Morrissey.
    “We’re grown men, we play a physical sport. At the end of the day, the result is what ends it, we shake hands and get on with it,”
    “It’s the heat of the battle. We’d like to say it’s part of our culture is humility and the same with the Kerry lads. What happens on the pitch stays on the pitch. We shook hands and that was the end of it.
    “It was a slippy day, the ball was on the ground to be challenged,” he said. “I went down to challenge the ball and he’s a big lad, trying to get around Kieran Donaghy is hard.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/philly-mcmahon-dismisses-eye-gouging-incident-1.2359961

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Stinicker wrote: »
    In 2 to 3 years time we will have a collossus of a team if we can blood some of those 2 Minor teams from 2014 & 2015 into the Senior panel. I'd say Kerry with Jack O'Connor and these young lads will win the U-21 All-Ireland next year for 2016 and this will continue. I expect Kerry to vanish in 2016 with no Senior accolades and our future looking forward is for those boys out there today in the Minors. Jack can mould them into a serious outfit and if they progress through U-21 they will be ready for senior then. I just hope they can stay around as the danger is they'd go away to Australia etc. Kerry dosen't have the money to pay their players like Dublin are currently doing in an underhand way.

Jack O'Connor and Fitzmaurice should jointly manage the Kerry seniors in two years time.

Show us the proof that Dublin are paying their players.

Are we realistically going to see any of last years minors hitting the senior panel next year? Some of them will be pushing 20 by the summer so age shouldn't be a factor.

Very strange that not even one player made the panel this year though I guess the real stars are the ones who were on both panels and played yesterday especially J Foley, Barry and Mark O Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Are we realistically going to see any of last years minors hitting the senior panel next year? .

With a few retirements looming I'd say there will be no choice. I thought the Kerry minors were really impressive yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Are we realistically going to see any of last years minors hitting the senior panel next year? Some of them will be pushing 20 by the summer so age shouldn't be a factor.

Very strange that not even one player made the panel this year though I guess the real stars are the ones who were on both panels and played yesterday especially J Foley, Barry and Mark O Connor.

O'Connor is nailed on to be a star imo, if he isn't lured away to Aussie Rules.

• Advertisement

seems to be alot of bulls*it being written about yesterday, people get totally carried away when 1 team wins and another loses.

make no doubt about it and they deserved to win, Dublin were the better team and the scoreline reflected that, however this theory that it should have been 10 points is a total farce.

Dublin didnt even play well yesterday, it was their poorest display all year
    Our big players didnt turn up - not many of theres did either.

O sullivan, Connolly, Brogan were all really poor, Jack, Andrews, Rock, Flynn were all only marginally better than the men who were marking them. people are very quick to say that the Kerry forward line never showed up, this is true however the same can be said for Dublins - their full forward line got 2 points from play between them, the half forward line got 2 points.

if you had said that Dublin would only score 12 points,with Brogan, Connolly, Kilkenny, Rock and Andrews only getting 2 points from play, you would have said before the game that Kerry would be winning the game.

much is being made about the Dublin goal chances and they had two great ones, but so did we.

Darran O Sullivan blew our first goal chance...he had a fine game when he came on, BUT he had another 5 or 6 yards in front of him and he should have slipped in JOD for a one on one....was the Fenton chance any better than that?

the killian Young chance was equally as good as the Rock one early in the game, he just fluffed it. if you look at the scoresheet, Dublin got 8 points from play, so did we so the difference was in frees.

Cluxton pointed a monster free, Sheehan missed on from the same distance. at the start of the second half Gooch won a very scoreable free and elected to take it short. we should have had a free in for the Donaghy incident, 30 seconds later instead of it being a 2 point game, it was a 4 point one. we could have had a penalty after that also.

all the small things went against us yesterday, nothing went right and we then had some strange selections on the sideline which cost us dearly. we were too negative and focused on Dublin too much. playing gooch as a half back was a very poor move, which just didnt work.

the sad thing is, with a little bit of more tuned in, the game was there for us. Dublin dominated but still only beat us by 3 points, 3 points that with a bit of composure and luck towards the end we could have reigned in.

taking off JOD was insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

seems to be alot of bulls*it being written about yesterday, people get totally carried away when 1 team wins and another loses.

make no doubt about it and they deserved to win, Dublin were the better team and the scoreline reflected that, however this theory that it should have been 10 points is a total farce.

Dublin didnt even play well yesterday, it was their poorest display all year
    Our big players didnt turn up - not many of theres did either.

O sullivan, Connolly, Brogan were all really poor, Jack, Andrews, Rock, Flynn were all only marginally better than the men who were marking them. people are very quick to say that the Kerry forward line never showed up, this is true however the same can be said for Dublins - their full forward line got 2 points from play between them, the half forward line got 2 points.

if you had said that Dublin would only score 12 points,with Brogan, Connolly, Kilkenny, Rock and Andrews only getting 2 points from play, you would have said before the game that Kerry would be winning the game.

much is being made about the Dublin goal chances and they had two great ones, but so did we.

Darran O Sullivan blew our first goal chance...he had a fine game when he came on, BUT he had another 5 or 6 yards in front of him and he should have slipped in JOD for a one on one....was the Fenton chance any better than that?

the killian Young chance was equally as good as the Rock one early in the game, he just fluffed it. if you look at the scoresheet, Dublin got 8 points from play, so did we so the difference was in frees.

Cluxton pointed a monster free, Sheehan missed on from the same distance. at the start of the second half Gooch won a very scoreable free and elected to take it short. we should have had a free in for the Donaghy incident, 30 seconds later instead of it being a 2 point game, it was a 4 point one. we could have had a penalty after that also.

all the small things went against us yesterday, nothing went right and we then had some strange selections on the sideline which cost us dearly. we were too negative and focused on Dublin too much. playing gooch as a half back was a very poor move, which just didnt work.

the sad thing is, with a little bit of more tuned in, the game was there for us. Dublin dominated but still only beat us by 3 points, 3 points that with a bit of composure and luck towards the end we could have reigned in.

I can't agree with you that it was Dublins worse performance of the year. I think Dublin were well ahead in most of match ups on the pitch from Dublins 1-9. It was a bit tighter from 10-15. You are correct in that Dublins forward line didn't convert enough scores.

I also think it was nuts subbing JOD. To me, he was the only forward who seemed to be threatening and picked off some lovely scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

Beaten by the better team. The game was lost in the 10 minutes before half time. Going from level to 4 points down was a hammer blow, that's a massive lead in awful weather.

The positives: nailed Cluxton on his kickouts again. We were so quick to regroup once the ball went dead, he was all over the place. Kealy and Enright were excellent, and the backs in general performed well. Darran and Donaghy caused Dublin serious problems once they were introduced.

The negatives: Some of the shooting in the first half was crazy, guys were taking on really speculative shots from out the field, but that was maybe a byproduct of not being able to find the inside forwards. Our problems were from midfield up. We were so intent on clogging Dublin's attack that when we did turn the ball over there was no outlet up front. Moran got turned over a couple of times purely because there was no forward available for a pass, which forced him to hang on to the ball.

And for all that went wrong up front (almost everything) we were a kick of the ball away in the end. This team does not lack heart, the game could have drifted away from them completely, but they dug in and didn't drop the heads.

I hope Fitzmaurice stays on, he's done a great job with this team over the past 3 years and I'd be confident of winning another All-Ireland in the next few years with him in charge.

Finally, congrats to the minors, an awesome performance. Every single one of them got the better of their opponent and they were ruthless in front of goal. The future is bright.

stats can be misleading, but looking at this the game wasnt such a landslide victory as people are saying.

CPXk9KDUcAA_sQp.jpg

It really was. Kerry had what 8 scores and took off the two boys who got 5 of them.

JOD was the best forward yesterday, imo only Flynn in the second half did arguably as well (he scored two and won some kickouts)
    JOD should get an all star.

Putting Galvin on for Moran was mad stuff too.

These two teams are better matched than is being reported. I think Kerry took off three players that should have stayed on. The bench was not that good or as good as some thought. O'Sullivan did well when he came on.
    Donaghy could have started as could Murphy. After that the so called impact players were either not used or far off the pace.
    We did something similar, Bastic should have stayed on. MDMA made a poor contribution.

Different day , different set up, different result but the mix of old and young was needlessly wrong imo.

Kerry got it wrong yesterday, we got it wrong last year. Our managers was branded a fool afterwards, while Fitz was being recommended for the hall of fame with a team that can adapt to anything, 24 hours later and the same guys are saying he failed.

It's all rubbish, Donegal, Mayo , Dublin and Kerry have been good over the past five years . No team is way ahead, the managers are not fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I must be in the minority. I think James should have come off earlier. Was totally out of sorts despite the 3 points, couldn't chase back and was loading ball that stuck all year.

I'd have had Cooper off as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

I must be in the minority. I think James should have come off earlier. Was totally out of sorts despite the 3 points, couldn't chase back and was loading ball that stuck all year.

I wouldn't have taken JOD off, he worked like a trojan again, kicked 2 from play, and put himself in perfect position in front of goal for a lay off from Darran, who didn't spot him. He's a constant threat, even when not at his best.

Agree with you on Gooch, just wasn't his day yesterday, McMahon was a nightmare matchup for him.

the majority of the 30 players on the pitch were out of sorts, you could argue that only Kealy, Walsh and Enright were anywhere near the top of their game for Kerry and only 4 or 5 Dublin lads played at full level also.

points win games, id rather have him in there than Galvin, Buckley and yesterday Gooch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Stephen O'Brien was one of our best players in the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

stats can be misleading, but looking at this the game wasnt such a landslide victory as people are saying.

CPXk9KDUcAA_sQp.jpg

I made a kind of similar post in the match thread too. Despite playing abysmally we were only a kick of a ball away at the end, and should have been awarded a penalty late on. Some of the dubs are going on as if they totally anhialated Kerry. They didn't, and on another day with a dry ball who knows what might happen. Nothing, and I mean nothing fell right for Kerry yesterday, it's just one of those things.

Btw I am not in any way trying to belittle dublins win or say we were robbed or anything. We got exactly what we deserved, but I think some of the Dublin fans are getting really carried away. Looking forward to 2016 already, and hopefully another crack at them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement