Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

How many wides had JOD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

mickeyk wrote: »
    some of the Dublin fans are getting really carried away. Looking forward to 2016 already, and hopefully another crack at them.

Any of us with half a brain know the difficulty in winning two in a row. The odds are completely against you. Any fans who know the game won't get carried away. I overheard a few idiots in Croker yesterday saying we'd easily retain it next year:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Paulzx wrote: »
    Any of us with half a brain know the difficulty in winning two in a row. The odds are completely against you. Any fans who know the game won't get carried away. I overheard a few idiots in Croker yesterday saying we'd easily retain it next year:rolleyes:

They will be favourites again and I wouldn't bet against them. They certainly have the players to do it. Kerry have a lot of work to do and need to find at least one quality defender but outside of that there isn't much between them I'd say. One bad performance does not make Kerry a bad team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

mickeyk wrote: »
    They will be favourites again and I wouldn't bet against them. They certainly have the players to do it. Kerry have a lot of work to do and need to find at least one quality defender but outside of that there isn't much between them I'd say. One bad performance does not make Kerry a bad team.

If you look at some of Dublins best performers the age profile is very young. Kerry need some young, hungry lads to come in and supplement some of the already excellent players there.

It provides an injection of enthusiasm and freshness which established players can feed off as well as creating genuine competition. If Kerry can harness the underage success over the last couple of years they will reap the reward. If you're good enough you're old enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Paulzx wrote: »
    If you look at some of Dublins best performers the age profile is very young. Kerry need some young, hungry lads to come in and supplement some of the already excellent players there.

It provides an injection of enthusiasm and freshness which established players can feed off as well as creating genuine competition. If Kerry can harness the underage success over the last couple of years they will reap the reward. If you're good enough you're old enough

Absolutely, the basis of a really good team is there. Just hope fitzmaurice stays on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Fitzmaurice and his backroom team confirmed they are staying on in 2016.

great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

great news.
    Excellent news.

Back to the drawing board.

Some new blood in, harvest the hurt, and work on a plan to topple Dublin.

They are the benchmark once again in 2016, and we need to devise a strategy to get to that Semi-Final berth against them, and then to beat them in that game.

Ciarraí Abú, beidh lá eile againn go luath.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

great news.

Definitely the right decision.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Excellent news.

Back to the drawing board.

Some new blood in, harvest the hurt, and work on a plan to topple Dublin.

They are the benchmark once again in 2016, and we need to devise a strategy to get to that Semi-Final berth against them, and then to beat them in that game.

Ciarraí Abú, beidh lá eile againn go luath.

i get the impression the new blood wont be introduced for 2 or 3 years yet, i think they will get two years at u-21 level before they are on senior panel.

with 2 or 3 players likely to retire now, who is ready to come in and fill that gap?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Jack has been working with the minors, he will undoubtedly go and win a few u21 all Irelands with the group of lads before going back to the seniors with a conveyor belt of talented footballers on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's backs we need really. We'll surely see the likes of Begley coming into the panel.

Would think Mark O'Connor and Barry O'Sullivan would be capable of coming in around the panel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Andrew Barry from my own club Na Gaeil has been an absolute beast the last two years on the Minor team. He has the physical size and athleticism to make it at Senior level. He has great intelligence, and his decision making on whether to play a long ball in or take the man on himself was excellent all year. Can be a little inaccurate at times with his passing but all round seems like a solid CHB.

I'm a huge fan of Darren Brosnan the Corner Back from Gneeveguilla. A real tough uncompromising Corner Back, in the mold of Shane Enright.
    The Full Back Foley looked excellent all year as well.

A lot of positives especially in defence from the minor team, but obviously it will be 2/3 years before they make it as Seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

A couple of weeks training with the seniors would bring some of them young lads on a huge amount

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Some of the minors from last year have been training with the senior panel this year. I was stood next to Shane Ryan at the game yesterday and he didn't tell me who but he said himself and a few of the lads were there all year. Obviously having them there so they're not phased if they get the call up.

I would love to see Darren Brosnan make it. He had a great year and only one poor game against Derry in the semi. Would be great for such a small club if he stepped up to senior in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Andrew Barry from my own club Na Gaeil has been an absolute beast the last two years on the Minor team. He has the physical size and athleticism to make it at Senior level. He has great intelligence, and his decision making on whether to play a long ball in or take the man on himself was excellent all year. Can be a little inaccurate at times with his passing but all round seems like a solid CHB.

I'm a huge fan of Darren Brosnan the Corner Back from Gneeveguilla. A real tough uncompromising Corner Back, in the mold of Shane Enright.
    The Full Back Foley looked excellent all year as well.

A lot of positives especially in defence from the minor team, but obviously it will be 2/3 years before they make it as Seniors.

Unfortunately, it appears Foley is off to America on a scholarship. But yes, O'Connor, Geaney and Barry should all make the senior panel in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Stoner wrote: »
    Eamonn Fitzmaurice confirmed to stay as Kerry boss next year http://the42.ie/2344493

Sure that's old news at this stage :pac:

Unfortunately, it appears Foley is off to America on a scholarship..

take it from me that this is not true ;)

Tomas has his view -

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/toms-s-we-played-right-into-dublins-hands-and-they-lapped-it-up-31543813.html

interesting point -
    We don't have any excuses, Dublin should have been out of sight and we were made play second fiddle all over the pitch.

Going forward, we have to hold onto Fitzmaurice.

He's the best manager we've had in a long time but unfortunately time is probably up for my younger brother Marc.

wonder does that mean that Marc was fit to play, just not selected?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭50HX

Tomas has his view -

wonder does that mean that Marc was fit to play, just not selected?

No i just think it simply states he is retiring

if it was like that then wouldn't he have gone after the Mayo game last year

he was injured

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Big call by Eamon to NOT bring on Marc. Looks like Diarmuid Murphy wasn't too happy with the two front men either. They ignored his pleas for change.

• Advertisement

wackokid wrote: »
    Big call by Eamon to NOT bring on Marc. Looks like Diarmuid Murphy wasn't too happy with the two front men either. They ignored his pleas for change.

In fairness, our backs all held their own and we didn't lose the game because of our defense. Not sure Marc would have many any difference unless you bring him in for Aidans card and you put Murphy on McMahon to allow Gooch have a go at Cian O Sullivan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

50HX wrote: »
    he was injured

If he was then naming him on the bench was wreckless to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭50HX

agreed .. if you go through the bench & go with Marc& murphy as being injured/suspect then we are v light defensively

danganabu wrote: »
    If he was then naming him on the bench was wreckless to say the least.

it wasnt wreckless at all. im sure he could have done a job if he was needed - he wasnt.

it wasnt wreckless at all. im sure he could have done a job if he was needed - he wasnt.

Well then he wasn't injured?? If Marc O Se at less than 100% merits a place in the match day 24 it doesn't say much about the panelists that were excluded.

danganabu wrote: »
    Well then he wasn't injured?? If Marc O Se at less than 100% merits a place in the match day 24 it doesn't say much about the panelists that were excluded.

whats the point bringing in a player who wasnt making the panel all year, for an all ireland final?

just for the sake of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

In fairness, our backs all held their own and we didn't lose the game because of our defense. Not sure Marc would have many any difference unless you bring him in for Aidans card and you put Murphy on McMahon to allow Gooch have a go at Cian O Sullivan

Are you seriously telling us that Fionn Fitzgerald and Peter Crowley held their own?. I'm not convinced about training ground form either and if there is one man capable of hitting a telling pass or scoring a much wanted point or two, them Marc would be my choice. Those lads from Ard A Bothair were never found wanting over the years and if he was fit enough to merit a subs jersey........????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Was wondering after the league why Mark Griffin and Paul ODonoghue were dropped from the 26.
    Griffin would have been very effective on tight wet days where you just need size and power. Fionn Fitzgerald was ran at and looked vulnerable.
    Paul ODonoghue then has an athletic long stride that would have better kept tabs on James McCarthy. OBrien was not able for him pace wise even with McCarthy having to solo. ODonoghue seems quick and accurate in long kickpasses also. Fitzmaurice always references training but those two lads showed alright in the league. Didnt drop themselves by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Would strongly disagree with your first sentence. Fionn on Andrews was a complete mismatch as Andrews was far too strong for him, he went by him far too easy in the first half, if Marc was fit to appear (which I strongly doubt) then he should have been brought in at some stage

• Advertisement

whats the point bringing in a player who wasnt making the panel all year, for an all ireland final?

just for the sake of it?

Why not just have a panel of 26 so and be done with it, no point in them being there if they cant even contribute anything from the bench.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement