Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

jaysys, nothing is going to be easy for them to win it! if they had their full team out, i think they would have a great chance of appearing on paddys day on jones road.

will moran be back soon from aus or is their any word on that?

The prospects of he getting a contract would seem slim going by yer man Nixon's qoutes in the paper the other day ,
    I think he started his two week trial last week so I suppose it must be entirely possible that he could be back for the week of the 6th ,
    unless he decides to stay down there for a bit of a break .
    Don't think the Narries would be impressed if he did though .

jaysys, nothing is going to be easy for them to win it! if they had their full team out, i think they would have a great chance of appearing on paddys day on jones road.

will moran be back soon from aus or is their any word on that?

Any news on David Moran - is he getting a contract or coming home ?
    I presume Brian is ok for Sunday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Congrats to Spa yesterday on their Munster Intermediate final win 2-11 to 10 - was a tough enough game - they made hard work of it for themselves too played well within themselves for an extended spell in the 2nd half but pulled through in the last quarter. Mike O' donoghue finished with 2-4 I think, still scratching my head as to how he's not even training with the Kerry Senior team after some classy displays in div.1 this year - I'm a Spa man myself so obviously a bit biased but it's hard to deny that he has the talent and physique to be in the mix. Aidan Cahill, Fergus Clifford and Andrew Garnett also gave sterling performances, garnett was stretchered off with 10 mins to go looked a serious injury (ankle) but hopefully it won't be as serious as it looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

tatoo wrote: »
    Any news on David Moran - is he getting a contract or coming home ?

David will know by tomorrow night. The club actually have till the end of the week to decide on rookies but are making a decision on David tomorrow as they're aware of the situation back home and want to give him enough time to get home and play for Strand Road if he doesn't get the contract offer.
    tatoo wrote: »
    I presume Brian is ok for Sunday ?

He dislocated his elbow in the last game as it turned out. He's a major doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Was Mike O'Donaghue not out with a broken leg for a lot of the year?
    One of Kerry's brightest prospects no doubt. Was awesome at U-21 level 2 years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Was Mike O'Donaghue not out with a broken leg for a lot of the year?
    One of Kerry's brightest prospects no doubt. Was awesome at U-21 level 2 years ago!

He was out for a while but it wasn't as long as first thought.

Can't remember exactly when but I distinctly remember him playing some game and being well surprised because I thought it would be another three months before he was back playing.

He's been back for a fair while and has been in great form for Spa.

I know he was involved with the Kerry Juniors last year as well.

Might get a run in the league.

Moran to return home
    A plus for the Narries and Kerry football.
    Moran returns home after Aussie trial

Wednesday, 2 December 2009 10:07

Kerry footballer David Moran was upbeat about his AFL experience despite not securing a rookie contract with Melbourne's St Kilda Football Club for the coming season after an intensive two week trial period with the AFL side.

Moran commented: 'I had a great time in Melbourne training with St Kilda this past two weeks. I'd like to thank the club for this chance to come into contact with a professional sports set-up and to see if my physical make up and skill set was suited to Aussie Rules.'

'It was a big challenge competing in various trails against professional AFL players over a short period especially after a long GAA season but I really enjoyed it and have taken positives from the experience, which I can apply to my own sporting career in the future.'

St Kilda General Manager Football List Management, Matthew Drain, was impressed by David's attitude and willingness to learn over the trial period. He commented: 'We are delighted that David took up the offer of a trial period with St Kilda over the last fortnight as we missed the chance to see him up close last year due to his college exam commitments.

Overall, he did very well showing good endurance and he definitely was not out of his depth in our professional environment."

Drain continued: 'David is only 21 years old but showed a great professional attitude and enthusiasm during his time and his potential as a great all round sports man is obvious. As we know only a very small number of athletes from GAA successfully make the transition to AFL.'

Moran will return home this week to make himself available for selection to his club Kerins O'Rahilly's in the Munster SFC Final against Kilmurry-Ibrickane this Sunday in the Gaelic Grounds, Limerick.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/1202/morand.html

Moran to return home
    A plus for the Narries and Kerry football.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/1202/morand.html

A big boost for the Rahillys ,
    they could go all the way now .

I'm disappointed for David but we'll be delighted to welcome him back for Sunday's game - here's hoping we go on to win it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm disappointed for David but we'll be delighted to welcome him back for Sunday's game - here's hoping we go on to win it now.

indeed. would be a massive boost for kerry football to have a club title. i dotn expect to win it next year (senior) so a club and a minor all ireland under new management, would be great!

• Advertisement

indeed. would be a massive boost for kerry football to have a club title. i dotn expect to win it next year (senior) so a club and a minor all ireland under new management, would be great!

Appreciate the sentiment - hope to everyone shouting for Strand Road now on Sunday, Up the Blues!

He was out for a while but it wasn't as long as first thought.

Can't remember exactly when but I distinctly remember him playing some game and being well surprised because I thought it would be another three months before he was back playing.

He's been back for a fair while and has been in great form for Spa.

I know he was involved with the Kerry Juniors last year as well.

Might get a run in the league.

He injured a bone in his foot on a building site and was in a cast for a few weeks but it wasn't as serious as it first looked. Is definately worth a run out in the league after some great performances during the year - most notably giving Tom O' Sullivan a very tough time against Rathmore before moving out to Centre forward and wrecking Aidan O'Mahoney.

On another note gutted for Dave Moran but delighted at the same time to have him back in the reckoning for Kerry this year a fantastic footballer and a strong athlete he'll come in handy this year if there's trouble in midfield without doubt!

PaulieC wrote: »
    He injured a bone in his foot on a building site and was in a cast for a few weeks but it wasn't as serious as it first looked. Is definately worth a run out in the league after some great performances during the year - most notably giving Tom O' Sullivan a very tough time against Rathmore before moving out to Centre forward and wrecking Aidan O'Mahoney.

On another note gutted for Dave Moran but delighted at the same time to have him back in the reckoning for Kerry this year a fantastic footballer and a strong athlete he'll come in handy this year if there's trouble in midfield
    without doubt!

On Stam - definately worth a run in the league - only thing is that he'll have at least one game with Spa in February which might clash and may well have a final some time in March. ;) Anyone know who Spa will be playing in the AI semi?

On David Moran, he might not be critical this year but given the ages of Dara, Scanlon and Quirke, I can see him being a key component for the Kerry team in years to come. Could see himself and Maher making a good partnership in years to come.

On Stam - definately worth a run in the league - only thing is that he'll have at least one game with Spa in February which might clash and may well have a final some time in March. ;) Anyone know who Spa will be playing in the AI semi?

On David Moran, he might not be critical this year but given the ages of Dara, Scanlon and Quirke, I can see him being a key component for the Kerry team in years to come. Could see himself and Maher making a good partnership in years to come.

Spa play the Leinster winners ( final this Sunday )

Well the games are only gona get tougher for Spa now they'll have to take it up a notch from the last game - only two of their opponents scores came from play so they'll have to tighten up at the back where there were alot of needless frees given away, that said Spa got all their scores from play so hopefully the forwards will bring that vein of form into the semi.

Again regarding Dave Moran I'd nearly have him in instead of Quirke - who was excellent last year imo but I think Dave would give more assistance to the forwards he posesses better distribution and is well able to forage forward and pick points himself. Also Paul O'Connor has been waiting in the wings for a few years now and impressed when brought on in Croker - could be pushing very close to a starting position this year especially with his free & 45 taking ability It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out there'll be massive competition there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Seán O'Sullivan has called it a day, pity I think he would still have a lot to offer.
    Irish Examiner Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Meanwhile Kerry’s Seán O’Sullivan has announced his retirement from inter-county football. The Cromane club man won four All-Ireland titles during his eight year career in the top flight with manager Jack O’Connor describing him as a "a great servant for Kerry over a long number of years."

O’Connor said: "He was a very stylish operator. His best year was 2006 and when he cut loose in Croke Park it was a sight to behold," O’Connor said. "Seán will always be remembered for that pass that he gave into Kieran Donaghy for the goal against Armagh in the All-Ireland quarter-final. That diagonal ball was the in-thing at the time. He was a great fella to deal with and never gave a moment’s trouble. He had great style, great pace and was a tremendous kicker off both feet."

Former Kerry team-mate Kieran Donaghy compared O’Sullivan to Colm Gooch Cooper.

Donaghy said: "He has been a great player for Kerry and I would say that he is probably one of the most naturally gifted footballers ever to play in the green and gold. His skill level is almost on par with the Gooch. He is just an excellent footballer and he will be a huge loss to the panel."

SomeFool wrote: »
    Seán O'Sullivan has called it a day, pity I think he would still have a lot to offer.

No loss imo - offered very little for most of his Kerry career.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

No loss imo - offered very little for most of his Kerry career.

With 4 medals in his back pocket he has offered more than most.

manster wrote: »
    With 4 medals in his back pocket he has offered more than most.

I disagree.

The number of medals someone has won has no direct relationship to how much they've contributed to the team either. Gooch also has four All-Ireland medals, their contributions are at wildly differing levels.

Sean O'Sullivan is and has been a limited player offering little or nothing at the highest level. A competent National League campaigner but out of his depth against high quality championship opposition.

A poorer Eoin Brosnan clone, which isn't saying a whole lot.

Thats what make football a great team game. You have players with different skillsets. Making a comparison of SOS to Gooch is not fair as they occupy different positions on the field and you are comparing him to one of the greatest players of his generation.

• Advertisement

jaysus...will their be anybody left?

this stage last year, we had Russell, Brosnan, Tadhg, Sean Sullivan and Tommy Walsh in the panel. they are now all gone.

add in rumours of Mike Mac going, Thomas contemplating retirement, Darragh the same and Tom Sullivan not far off it either, its a worrying time.....

1-15 i think we will be ok, we have Star to replace Tommy Walsh this year and who knows, he could be back playing in 1-2 years for us anyway. david moran could replace Darragh if needed or fill in elsewhere. Brian Sheehan, should now step up to the mark and take the 9 or 11 jersey. he has more potential than any other player in the county, player of the county championship by a distance. just needs a banger up his backside. barry john looks like making a claim as does paul o connor. so, for now we are ok, but weves taken a big hit in the space of 12 months.we also need 2 new backs from Minor panels over the past 5 years to step up and make the panel.

here is my team i hope will be on song towards the end of the league and pushing to start in May and June -

Murphy/Reidy.

Tom S_ Griffan_ M O Shea
    Thomas_M Mac_Killian
    Scanlon_Moran
    Galvin_Sheehan_Darran S
    Gooch_Star_D O Sullivan

that still leaves us with Aidan O Mahony, Quirke, Barry John, Paul O Connor, Padraig Reidy, Daniel Bohane as options and hopefully we will uncover 1 or 2 more gems this year...but our options are drying up and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

...but our options are drying up and fast.
    I wonder what supporters of other counties would think of that comment as they look at their own county panel and make comparisons..........:pac: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Pity Seán Bán has packed it in, but in fairness the time was right. Since the Antrim game to be honest. He was v. poor. Will be rememebered as Donaghy's Main provider in 2006, with fantastic diagonal balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

this stage last year, we had Russell, Brosnan, Tadhg, Sean Sullivan and Tommy Walsh in the panel. they are now all gone.

add in rumours of Mike Mac going, Thomas contemplating retirement, Darragh the same and Tom Sullivan not far off it either, its a worrying time.....

1-15 i think we will be ok, we have Star to replace Tommy Walsh this year and who knows, he could be back playing in 1-2 years for us anyway. david moran could replace Darragh if needed or fill in elsewhere. Brian Sheehan, should now step up to the mark and take the 9 or 11 jersey. he has more potential than any other player in the county, player of the county championship by a distance. just needs a banger up his backside. barry john looks like making a claim as does paul o connor. so, for now we are ok, but weves taken a big hit in the space of 12 months.we also need 2 new backs from Minor panels over the past 5 years to step up and make the panel.

here is my team i hope will be on song towards the end of the league and pushing to start in May and June -

Murphy/Reidy.

Tom S_ Griffan_ M O Shea
    Thomas_M Mac_Killian
    Scanlon_Moran
    Galvin_Sheehan_Darran S
    Gooch_Star_D O Sullivan

that still leaves us with Aidan O Mahony, Quirke, Barry John, Paul O Connor, Padraig Reidy, Daniel Bohane as options and hopefully we will uncover 1 or 2 more gems this year...but our options are drying up and fast.

Thomas and M O'Shea?? What do you call Seán Óg Ó hAilpín, Young John O'Halpin? :pac:

Agus wrote: »
    Thomas and M O'Shea?? What do you call Seán Óg Ó hAilpín, Young John O'Halpin? :pac:

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

I disagree.

The number of medals someone has won has no direct relationship to how much they've contributed to the team either. Gooch also has four All-Ireland medals, their contributions are at wildly differing levels.

Sean O'Sullivan is and has been a limited player offering little or nothing at the highest level. A competent National League campaigner but out of his depth against high quality championship opposition.

A poorer Eoin Brosnan clone, which isn't saying a whole lot.

He never fulfilled his potential.i would have hads him on the limerick team though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

add in rumours of Mike Mac going,

why bring the clare hurling manager into the debate

Assuming Daragh goes this year...

With the new 'mark' rule being brought in for the league, I believe that there will be a temptation to start Michael Quirke at midfield. There is no better player (bar Daragh) to catch clean ball. But there is a serious flaw here. The new rule also means that the player that got the 'mark' must also kick it. I'm afraid Quirke would not be the best kicker unless he could lash it into Star.

But we should be building for the future. Another midfield option to team up with Scanlon is Anthony Maher. He was excellent in the league last year and lost out due to serious injury in the later stages. His performance V Dublin in Parnell Park was his high point.

Moran will of course be the most talked about midfield option. He is the pretender to Dara's crown. Unfortunately for him with Tommy in Oz, his Rahillys partnership with Tommy will be surely missed this year for Kerry.

So who will partner Scanlon for the Championship - my money is on Maher.

Marc OSe, 5 days before the All-Ireland Final.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/....pt-1980582.html

By Louise Roseingrave
    Friday December 18 2009
    A BRAVE attempt by Kerry star Marc O Se to save a woman ended in tragedy after she slipped from his grasp and plunged 40ft from a clifftop and later died, an inquest heard yesterday.

Cornerback O Se, a nephew of Paidi O Se, was swimming at Beenbane, 4km outside Dingle, on September 15, 2009, when he spotted a woman in difficulty at the top of a high cliff by the water.

The incident occurred five days before the All-Ireland final when Marie Jeanette Phillips (31), a native of Kidderminster, Worcester, England, was walking along an isolated cliff path about 6ft wide.

Ms Phillips, who had been living in west Kerry for almost a year, was with a Polish friend when she appeared to lose her footing and slid over the edge of a dangerous overhang at the top of the cliffs at Beenbane.

The woman managed to grab the cliff edge despite its jagged rocky surface and was clinging on for her life when 29-year-old O Se came to her aid.

The star footballer's account of events was relayed in a statement yesterday at an inquest into the woman's death at Cork City Coroner's Court.

Mr O Se said he had been swimming in the bay when he spotted the woman in difficulty and went directly to her aid.

He caught and held Ms Phillips' hands but her weight dragged her down the cliff face and O Se's friend, Michael O Se, grabbed and held his legs to prevent him sliding over the edge.

"Half of my body was out over the cliff face and Michael O Se was holding onto my legs," Marc O Se said in a statement.

Dangling over the 40ft cliff edge and unable to grasp a steady hold, the woman began to panic, jerking back and forth, struggling to hold on.

Tragically, O Se's grip of the stricken woman was compromised due to her movements and he "lost hold of her".

She fell on to a rocky surface below the cliffs, where she lay semi-conscious and "in a lot of pain", according to O Se, before an ambulance arrived about five minutes later.

Agitated

Ms Phillips was rushed to Kerry General Hospital in Tralee, where she was admitted in "a very agitated state" and was found to have suffered multiple spinal fractures.

After 16 days in hospital in Tralee, where she developed bronchial pneumonia, Ms Phillips was transferred to Cork University Hospital, where she she suffered a catastrophic subdural haemorrhage -- as a result of blood gathering in the lining of the brain -- and she died on October 5.

Coroner Dr Myra Cullinane relayed the wishes of Ms Phillips' family -- who were not present -- that either signs be erected warning of the dangers of the cliff path, or that the area be properly fenced off to prevent access.

Dr Cullinane asked that the relevant authority be alerted to the family's wishes concerning the cliffs, which are accessed by a narrow boreen at Ballintaggart outside Dingle but require local knowledge to find, according to Garda Colm Nelon of Dingle garda station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

I remember when Mike Frank left he said he would reconsider this year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement