Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Just in terms of those mentioned above Prop, my own opinion for what it's worth..
    Jack McGuire - Have concerns about his comfort level on the ball.
    Gavin Crowley - Has impressed me. Worthy of a look.
    Cormac Coffey - Bit too raw yet, but will see how u21 level goes.
    Brian Ó Beaglaoich - Same as Coffey.
    Conor Keane - Should be pushing Senior panel soon hopefully.

Wouldn't be surprised to see any of these either

Matthew Flaherty - Too light at the moment.
    Ferghal McNamara - Has been around Senior panel for 2/3 years now and made no inroads. Not sure he'll make it.
    Tom O Sullivan - Will see how 21 level goes.
    Brian Sugrue - Don't see him making the step up myself.
    Brendan O Sullivan - Not up to Senior level.
    Daithí Casey - Not up to Senior level IMO. Attitude is questionable IMO.

Expect to push on from last year would be

Podge O Connor - Rate him very highly. Deserves a run.
    Pa Kilkenny - A bit inconsistent but if he gets a bit stronger he could get there.
    Mark Griffin - Probably lacking in confidence given treatment over last 2 years. Has been inconsistent though, good mixed with awful games.
    Jack Sherwood - Never rated him that highly. Still convinced that bringing him on in the 2013 semi final was a crazy decision.
    Alan Fitzgerald - Don't think he's ever going to be a championship player for us.

Others you didn't mention:
    Killian Spillane - Has trained with Seniors already. Will see how u21 level goes but looking forwarrd to seeing him kick on hopefully.
    Gavan O'Grady - Has the tools to operate at higher level but has fitness issues I believe.
    Conor Cox - Again, has been treated harshly by Fitzmaurice. Is better than quite a few players that have got game time in past 2 years. Would hope he'd get back into panel.
    David Culhane - Another possesed with all the tools needed for top level. Has performed at U21 and Junior level, should get a run soon with Senior panel.
    Kieran Murphy (Kilcummin) - Had hoped he would have kicked on a lot more but has struggled with injuries a lot. Should play Sigerson football this year so will see how that goes.

Shane Ryan, Mark O'Connor and Micheál Burns from recent minor teams will be involved at u21 level over next 2 years and I would have a lot of hope that they can play at the highest level. Barry O'Sullivan is now in college in Dublin, not sure if that'll be a good or bad thing. Will make it hard for u21 preparation for a start.

Might aswell throw it out there that I am highly sceptical about the new Senior management setup also. Cian O'Neill was a huge loss and he hasn't been adequately replaced in my view. If I'm proven wrong, great, but I have doubts.
    Under 21 and Minor setups are both very good. It's been a long time since that has been the case and it's a welcome development.

Yes have heard stories about Caseys attitude. Went off in a sulk when he wasn't picked for the training camp this year i think.

Id have the same worries about Cox. When hes given space and ball straight looks like a world beater, but not so much when its not happening. Anytime i've seen him play a bigger team hes gone missing. Also far too greedy with the ball.

David Culhane definitely worth a look, would be a better option than Griffin i feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gary Gurny

cms88 wrote: »
    Yes have heard stories about Caseys attitude. Went off in a sulk when he wasn't picked for the training camp this year i think.

Id have the same worries about Cox. When hes given space and ball straight looks like a world beater, but not so much when its not happening. Anytime i've seen him play a bigger team hes gone missing. Also far too greedy with the ball.

David Culhane definitely worth a look, would be a better option than Griffin i feel.

Totally agree re Conor cox. This guy is now what 24/25?! Come on Jesus how many chances does this guy need? We have seen enough of him at this stage to know that he is simply not good enough and definitely too slow for inter county level. Grand he might of been a decent player for Ucc in the sigerson , that simply does not make him a inter county player no way!! We need to blood some of our successful minors in the McGrath cup, people like Spillane , o se, and young geaney..this guys are the future, not Conor cox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Gary Gurny wrote: »
    Totally agree re Conor cox. This guy is now what 24/25?! Come on Jesus how many chances does this guy need? We have seen enough of him at this stage to know that he is simply not good enough and definitely too slow for inter county level. Grand he might of been a decent player for Ucc in the sigerson , that simply does not make him a inter county player no way!! We need to blood some of our successful minors in the McGrath cup, people like Spillane , o se, and young geaney..this guys are the future, not Conor cox

I'd be fine with making a call and saying "X just isn't up to it" if a guy is in his mid 20s and has got loads of chances. I wish it happened more in fact.

I don't believe that is the case at all with Cox though. He's 23 for one thing and he definitely has NOT got a real chance with the Seniors to date. Fitz was annoyed he went to the States in the Summer of last year apparently, and Cox hasn't got a look in since but when a student has no job for the summer and is nowhere near starting for a team, it's hard to blame them for going surely?
    In the 2014 league he got 15 mins against Dublin, didn't get on much ball. He then started against Derry in Killarney, got 7 points (3 from play). Could have had a couple more, but not a bad showing for a young fella starting off. That was a very weakened Kerry team that day and we were beaten. I recall David Culhane doing very well that day also when he came on.
    Cox started against Mayo after the Derry game and scored 0-4 (1 from play) and did ok in a game we lost.
    That's it! No run out, no appearance on a panel since then.

Since then, he has been largely outstanding in 2 Sigerson campaigns for UCC, winning 1 and losing the final this year. He was outstanding in the 2014 final, not so good this year but had been very good in all the other games.
    He has won an All Ireland with the Juniors.

He may not be good enough, but he hasn't got a real go, so we don't know yet and you can't just write him off. 3 starts in the league (scoring 12 points) and 2 short sub appearances and fellas are writing him off? Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

you can acuse Fitz of many things, but not giving lads a chance isnt one of them.

if Cox or anybody hasnt made the step up, its nobody elses fault apart from his own.

now they may both have went off to the US last year as they knew they werent getting a run at it, but to give up that easily is very very poor - the US will be there every year, a chance at breaking into the Kerry senior panel is a once in a lifetime chance for most.

with the likes of Keane, Spillane, O Grady and several more chomping at the bit to come into the forward line, i dont think theres any room for sentiment anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

I hate when i hear " such & such" is not good enough for inter county level i have to laugh.

Take Conor Cox for instance,There is probably 26/27 counties in Ireland who would love to have him,So he is good enough for Inter County,The issue is will Fitzmaurice give him a steady run in the team to bed him in or does he think he will have more success with Conor Keane or someone else.

Mark Griffin,Conor Cox etc.. I have no doubt would thrive if they were handed a run of games the same as Marc O Sé was or Bryan Sheehan was when starting out.

The debate is weather or not Fitzmaurice thinks he will get better value out of them or someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gary Gurny

Prop Joe wrote: »
    I hate when i hear " such & such" is not good enough for inter county level i have to laugh.

Take Conor Cox for instance,There is probably 26/27 counties in Ireland who would love to have him,So he is good enough for Inter County,The issue is will Fitzmaurice give him a steady run in the team to bed him in or does he think he will have more success with Conor Keane or someone else.

Mark Griffin,Conor Cox etc.. I have no doubt would thrive if they were handed a run of games the same as Marc O Sé was or Bryan Sheehan was when starting out.

The debate is weather or not Fitzmaurice thinks he will get better value out of them or someone else.

You say there is 26/27 counties who would have Conor cox!? Well yes of course there is. Similarly it is a fair assessment that 26/27 teams have absolutely no hope in hell of winning Sam! Fair to say ? I am sorry for stating the guy in question is simply not good enough for inter county level but when I say that sort of statement I would have thought the Kerry gaa posters would assume I meant "top elite level" and not mediocre div 2/3 standard! He has played junior for Kerry and done fine..that is his standard end of story , he will never have the pace for senior inter county teams for Kerry! Do you think Johnny cooper, Philly McMahon, Keith Higgins , the Donegal backs would be quacking in their boots at this fella? NO! If we are going to live with Dublin for the next few years we have to blood some of the successful minors who are proven winners on a national stage, they might not be physically able this year but for the future of Kerry football these minors need to be blooded soon imo. What we don't need is to be looking at guys lik cox who have done well at lower levels like sigerson and junior teams and asking them to make th step up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

All Stars for Brendan Kelly, Shane Enright, Anthony Maher, Donnacha Walsh.

Well done lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Well done to the lads delighted for Donnacha Walsh and well done to the four hurlers that won Christy Ring All Stars,

Shane Nolan, Patrick Kelly, John Egan and Keith Carmody

Also on a sad note RIP Leo Griffin

http://traleetoday.ie/kerry-golden-years-team-bagman-leo-griffin-dies/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Shane Nolan, Patrick Kelly, John Egan and Keith Carmody

four is a bad return for a team that pretty much steamrolled their way to the title.

they should have had at least 8 IMO, 3 or 4 lads really really robbed especially O leary and Harty, and id have given Twig one also.

four is a bad return for a team that pretty much steamrolled their way to the title.

they should have had at least 8 IMO, 3 or 4 lads really really robbed especially O leary and Harty, and id have given Twig one also.

I know ya,but that's seems to be the way with the lower grade all stars,there is always an even enough spread between all the teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

First football All Stars for Tarbert, Cromane and Duagh I'd imagine. Nice to see different clubs getting a look in, within Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

lol at the rock

keane2097 wrote: »
    lol at the rock

Oh dear. Inconceivable that they could be relegated, but 1 step closer it seems

Rathmore beat Ardfert 1-13 to 0-5

Kerry hurlers off on holidays next week so I think Ardfert will struggle to field a team next weekend as they were missing a few important players today and never really troubled Rathmore at all who won playing in first gear.

Rathmore stay senior but I think they shouldn't have been put into the relegation play offs after going so far in the County Championship and coming close to making the final.

Re the Stacks,isn't former Stacks manager and player Wayne Quinlan managing Miltown/Castlemaine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

DDC1990 wrote: »

4 teams with 3 to go down means it isn't exactly that inconceivable.

If they did go down I wonder what odds you would get them on winning the Munster Intermediate in 2016 - would be a fairly unique double...

DDC1990 wrote: »

Oh my stars don't even make me dream of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Surprisingly easy win for Templenoe in Junior final. 8 ahead at half-time and full-time.

Best of luck to Legion. Up the clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Contoversial ending to the county final - South Kerry leading 0-9 to 0-8 with two minutes of injury-time signalled, ref plays about four, with Legion duly equalising, cue mass brawl in the middle of the pitch and the ref making a swift exit! The Munster club tie has been thrown into chaos due to the replay, also.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Very unusual for that to happen in a GAA game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Dingle must be sickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Its thrown the schedule even further off track, a disaster of a result for other clubs, Dingle are still in limbo so

copied and pasted from the pundit arena on bookface

What a cock up by the Kerry County Board.

St. Mary's Caherciveen are out to play in the Munster Intermediate club championship next Saturday at 2pm and South Kerry are to replay the senior final against Legion at 3pm (ended 0-9 apiece today). Bryan Sheehan plays for both sides, along with a few more from Mary's.

Then Legion will have to play Nemo Rangers today week if they win. Barely 24 hours to play 2 huge games.

And even worse, Dingle, who could yet represent Kerry in the Munster Championship next Sunday if Legion lose, won't know until after 4pm next Saturday if they will play Nemo Sunday.

This is only one example of disastrous fixture planning by the authorities. Unbelievably unfair on the average club player, and time tradition was shafted to provide a more even playing field for all clubs in their search of glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

Contoversial ending to the county final - South Kerry leading 0-9 to 0-8 with two minutes of injury-time signalled, ref plays about four, with Legion duly equalising, cue mass brawl in the middle of the pitch and the ref making a swift exit! The Munster club tie has been thrown into chaos due to the replay, also.

Will that mean replay will be Saturday with Munster game on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Gael85 wrote: »

Yeah, replay's Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Gael85 wrote: »

I believe Stradbally of Waterford won the county title on Friday night and lost to Nemo on Saturday.

I wonder would the Munster council impose the same on a more high profile county.

Bit that's probably a moot point given the cluster f*ck that is the Kerry fixtures situation as described above by another poster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I believe Stradbally of Waterford won the county title on Friday night and lost to Nemo on Saturday.

I wonder would the Munster council impose the same on a more high profile county.

Bit that's probably a moot point given the cluster f*ck that is the Kerry fixtures situation as described above by another poster

To be fair to the Munster council, they pushed the game back a week to facilitate Waterford fielding a team.

The County board suspended the football championship to run off the hurling. Think the responsibility there lies entitely with the Waterford County board.

The club structure needs to be looked at in Kerry but then again, thats been obvious for years. Take St Marys players for example, they have 5 starting for SK today, they have played several weeks in a row, then they have 2 back games in the county league yet to be played, their intermediate run wherever that takes them and then the sk championship to play. A crazy amount of football right at a time when the weather gets to its worst

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news/368437/Kerry_SFC_Final_Replay_Date
    Following Discussions between Officers of the Munster Council and Kerry GAA it has been decided to put the Replay of the Kerry Senior Football Championship back a week to the Weekend of November 22nd. The CCC will meet tomorrow evening to confirm match details for the Replay.

The St Marys V Corofin Munster Intermediate Championship game will therefore go ahead as planned next weekend

• Advertisement

Farce. Do Dingle play Nemo next Sunday so?

Should have gone to ET time today and sorted it all out.

If fact the referee should have blown it up, after the 2 minutes and there could have been no complaints.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement