Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

I presume the Nemo game is off so? or do Dingle go through to play, maybe that hasnt been sorted yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Farce. Do Dingle play Nemo next Sunday so?

Should have gone to ET time today and sorted it all out.

If fact the referee should have blown it up, after the 2 minutes and there could have been no complaints.

Added time needs more clarification. Is it 2 minutes total! Or a minimum of 2 minutes with the time at the referees discretion after the 2 minutes has expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

wonga77 wrote: »
    I presume the Nemo game is off so? or do Dingle go through to play, maybe that hasnt been sorted yet

You would imagine that they would be nominated at this stage.

Waiting for Legion would mean the earliest that the Semi Final could be played is the 29/11 and the final December 6th, which is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Waiting for Legion would mean the earliest that the Semi Final could be played is the 29/11 and the final December 6th, which is mad.

Leinster final is down for the 6th of Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the final should have been played long before now or else nominate Legion and leave them off.

its a farce now that our potential county champions may not represent us in Munster.

have heard also, that Dingle are not exactly firing on all cylinders for this, so who ever plays Nemo will probably get a beating.

ideally Legion playing Nemo next week would be the proper scenario.

• Advertisement

Really if fair was fair Legion should be representing Kerry anyway, they are the last club team standing in the county championship, the other system might work if you had 2 district teams in the final but in this case I think Legion should progress

Really if fair was fair Legion should be representing Kerry anyway, they are the last club team standing in the county championship, the other system might work if you had 2 district teams in the final but in this case I think Legion should progress

exactly, they have got the furthest in the country championship and by default now should be the representives.

the other problem now is, the chances of them doing well is virtually nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Any chance someone could explain to me how Dingle are club champions even though the County Championship finished in a draw and they weren't in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    Any chance someone could explain to me how Dingle are club champions even though the County Championship finished in a draw and they weren't in it?

You've answered your own question, Dingle won the Club Championship while the County Championship is ongoing.

The County Championship includes divisional teams, while the Club Championship is for clubs only.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

keane2097 wrote: »
    You've answered your own question, Dingle won the Club Championship while the County Championship is ongoing.

The County Championship includes divisional teams, while the Club Championship is for clubs only.

Cheers man. Not really familiar with the structure there. Thought the divisional system would just work the same way as the cork one.

• Advertisement

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    Cheers man. Not really familiar with the structure there. Thought the divisional system would just work the same way as the cork one.

It's pretty unique I think. If you check back a couple of pages there's a good explanation of it somewhere.

Murt Murphy has just said on bookface that legion will play nemo next Sunday? He's usually spot on to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Murt Murphy has just said on bookface that legion will play nemo next Sunday? He's usually spot on to be fair

Munster GAA website says the County Board have nominated Legion, so match will be Sunday at 2, in Cork (Páirc Uí Rinn?).

http://munster.gaa.ie/2015/11/09/aib-munster-senior-club-football-championship-semi-final-kerry-representatives-v-cork-representatives/

Proper order, the prospect of a club winning the Championship and not representing the County is much worse than the prospect of a club beaten in the County final supplanting the Club Champions IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

I am trying to explain the championship set up in Kerry to a (non-Kerry) friend and am getting confused myself trying to do it.

Am I right in saying that the Senior Clubs (like Dingle) get to compete in two different County Championships (Senior Football Championship and Club Championship) while Divisional teams only get to compete in the Senior Football Championship? And that is in essence why this situation has arisen as it is unclear which of the competitions the representative for Munster/All Ireland is selected from?

coL wrote: »
    I am trying to explain the championship set up in Kerry to a (non-Kerry) friend and am getting confused myself trying to do it.

Am I right in saying that the Senior Clubs (like Dingle) get to compete in two different County Championships (Senior Football Championship and Club Championship) while Divisional teams only get to compete in the Senior Football Championship? And that is in essence why this situation has arisen as it is unclear which of the competitions the representative for Munster/All Ireland is selected from?

Club Championship - only the clubs
    County Championship - the clubs plus the divisional teams

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

It's not unclear. The winners of the county represent Kerry in the Munster/All Ireland series except when a divisional team wins the county.

If a divisional team wins the county, the winner of the club championship represents Kerry.

Obviously the logical thing to do is have a rule that the club team who goes furthest in the county represents Kerry.

But Lol Gaa

You have 2 catagories in which every club compete at some level.
    Novice-Junior-Intermediate-Senior, these are the club championships

Then you have the county championship (the big one!) in which there are only a handful of clubs and the district teams, for example Sth Kerry draw from Valentia/Renard/SneemDerrynane who are Novice clubs. Dromid are junior. Waterville, Portmagee, St Marys are intermediate.

St Marys won the intermediate this year so will be in the senior club competition next year (the first one mentioned above) but due to a new process will not be going on their own in the county championship (the big one mentioned above)

The county board are in the process of reconstructing the junior, intermediate club championships as well as the senior county championship, hence why there were a few relegation games on at the weekend in different grades.
    Keel won the junior title 2 years ago year and were automatically promoted to intermediate but they lost a relegation decider at the weekend so they are back down to junior.

Its seems complex but it isnt that hard, then again we've been looking at it for years so it makes sense to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

You have 2 catagories in which every club compete at some level.
    Novice-Junior-Intermediate-Senior, these are the club championships

Then you have the county championship (the big one!) in which there are only a handful of clubs and the district teams, for example Sth Kerry draw from Valentia/Renard/SneemDerrynane who are Novice clubs. Dromid are junior. Waterville, Portmagee, St Marys are intermediate.

St Marys won the intermediate this year so will be in the senior club competition next year (the first one mentioned above) but due to a new process will not be going on their own in the county championship (the big one mentioned above)

The county board are in the process of reconstructing the junior, intermediate club championships as well as the senior county championship, hence why there were a few relegation games on at the weekend in different grades.
    Keel won the junior title 2 years ago year and were automatically promoted to intermediate but they lost a relegation decider at the weekend so they are back down to junior.

Its seems complex but it isnt that hard, then again we've been looking at it for years so it makes sense to us!

I didnt realise the Marys will be able to play in the senior club championship next year Wonga. South Kerry will be strong enough again next year you would think, with Bally Foilmore joining the South Kerry set up when/if they get relegated from the Senior Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

duchalla wrote: »
    I didnt realise the Marys will be able to play in the senior club championship next year Wonga. South Kerry will be strong enough again next year you would think, with Bally Foilmore joining the South Kerry set up when/if they get relegated from the Senior Championship.

I'm nearly 100% sure that next year St Marys won't go up to senior because of the overall restructuring that is going on with the county championship - there are 3 teams being relegated from senior to intermediate this year and there's no promotion from intermediate to senior.

Normally the intermediate winner does get to go up but this year it's an anomaly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I'm nearly 100% sure that next year St Marys won't go up to senior because of the overall restructuring that is going on with the county championship - there are 3 teams being relegated from senior to intermediate this year and there's no promotion from intermediate to senior.

Normally the intermediate winner does get to go up but this year it's an anomaly.

I thought the same, but Wonga has me 2nd guessing myself! Can a club play in the senior club championship and then play with their division in the County championship? They can hardly play senior in one competition and revert back to intermediate with the divisional side in an other.

Maybe im wrong lads dont take it as gospel!!! I was under the impression that the Marys would be playing senior club but with SK in the county championship? Maybe not...

It begs the question, if they are relegating 3 clubs from the county championship, lets say for arguements sake Ardfert. Ballyfoilmore and Laune Rangers then none of those 3 are allowed play senior club, if the Marys are not let into it then whats the point of the senior club competition? You would be left with Crokes, Legion, Dingle, Rahillys, Rathmore and Stacks, with so few teams, kind of a waste of a competition or worthwhile?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

I think yours is the best system in the country. It allows high performing players at minnow clubs gain exposure. Preserves the club ethos, I love it.
    Would love to see something similar in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The winners of the 2015 Intermediate Championship will not be promoted to senior status. From 2016 onwards that situation will revert to the Intermediate winners replacing the relegated Senior team.

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news/356014/s_f_c-decision_on_reduction_of_clubs_in_s_f_c-next_monday_co_ctte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Bit unfair that they are allowed to do that. No other County is allowed nominate County champions.

Waterford weren't allowed in 2008, Tipp weren't last year. They may or may not have wanted too given it would have interfered with their own championship more than likely.

They already pushed back the Munster semi a week if I'm not mistaken to facilitate the Kerry County championship finishing late.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Notabluffer

Is the any truth in the rumour that Legion threatened legal action if Dingle were nominated to represent Kerry?
    Seems a bit extreme IMO but the rumour is doing the rounds.

Well Dingle arent happy about it.
    I wonder will we see a better run fixture list next year? Im not sure about reconstructing all the championships, if there was a small bit more leeway given to county players to play with their clubs then we wouldnt be in this position most years

well Legion representing Kerry is the right call, they are the last club standing and the rule book says they are entitled to the task.

cant see them being able to play 3 big games in a row though, surely winning the replay is their ambition first and foremost and anybody with a knock wont be risked next weekend?

Nemo will beat them comfortably i would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Senior Football Final Replay

Sun Nov 22 @ 2.30pm – Extra Time

Killarney Legion v South Kerry in Fitzgerald Stadium

SFC – Club Relegation Play-off – Rd 2

Sat Nov 21 @ 2pm – Extra Time

Austin Stacks v St Mls/F’more in Killorglin

Laune Rgs v Ardfert in Ballymac

SFL - Div 1 – Play-off

(Date & Venue to be confirmed)

Austin Stacks v Killarney Legion

SFL – Div 1 Rd 11

Sun Nov 15 @ 2pm

Fingue v Kilcummin

Kerins O Rahillys v Dingle

St Mls/F'more v Waterville

SFL – Div 3 Rd 11

Sun Dec 6 @ 2pm (note date)

Beale v St Pats Blennerville

Ballymac v Ardfert

Brosna v Skellig Rgs

Na Gaeil v Keel

SFL - Div 4 Rd 11

All games – Sun Nov 15 @ 2pm

Churchill v Firies

Fossa v Lispole

Castlegregory v Cordal

Scartaglin v Dromid Pearses

Dr Crokes B v St Senans

Ballydonoghue v Cromane

SFL - Div 5 Rd 11

Sat Nov 14 @ 2.30pm (note date & time)

(*Agreeable to play 13 a-side where required)

Asdee v *Renard

*Moyvane v *Duagh

*Austin Stacks B v *Valentia

Sun Nov 15 @ 2pm - (*Agreeable to play 13 a-side where required)

*Ballylongford v Sneem/Derrynane

*Tuosist v Knocknagoshel

Intermediate Relegation Play-Off

Sat Nov 28 @ 2pm

Skellig Rgs v Finuge in Miltown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Munster Championship started the 23rd May and finished the 18th of July this year - 6 games in total over 9 weekends. Obviously the drawn final affected things but if the Provincial Championship were run off more efficiently it would have a huge knock-on effect for club players and more games could be played in better conditions.

If you had extra-time in all provincial games bar the final, it would surely speed things up and with all losers going in to the qualifiers anyway, it's hardly like to affect the finances all that much and hardly that unfair on the teams.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement